The chief enemy of creativity is "good" sense -- Picasso

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Driver Liam Boydell admits murdering cyclist Reece Braithwaite in Grimsby collision

SubjectAuthor
* Driver Liam Boydell admits murdering cyclist Reece Braithwaite inswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Driver Liam Boydell admits murdering cyclist ReeceSpike
+* Re: Driver Liam Boydell admits murdering cyclist Reece Braithwaite inswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Driver Liam Boydell admits murdering cyclist Reece Braithwaite in Grimsby coswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: Driver Liam Boydell admits murdering cyclist ReeceSpike
|`* Re: Driver Liam Boydell admits murdering cyclist Reece Braithwaite inswldx...@gmail.com
| `- Re: Driver Liam Boydell admits murdering cyclist Reece Braithwaite inJNugent
+* Re: Driver Liam Boydell admits murdering cyclist Reece Braithwaite inswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Driver Liam Boydell admits murdering cyclist ReeceSpike
`- Re: Driver Liam Boydell admits murdering cyclist Reece Braithwaite inswldx...@gmail.com

1
Driver Liam Boydell admits murdering cyclist Reece Braithwaite in Grimsby collision

<7fb47369-65a5-4d72-99da-5ddf16d36d4bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31947&group=uk.rec.cycling#31947

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2023 08:44:46 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Driver Liam Boydell admits murdering cyclist Reece Braithwaite in
Grimsby collision
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 15:44 UTC

A driver has admitted murdering a cyclist who suffered serious injuries and later died following a road traffic collision in Grimsby.

Liam Boydell, 22, now faces a life sentence after pleading guilty to the charge at a hearing before Hull Crown Court.

Police were called to reports that a man had been hit by a grey Vauxhall Crossland car in Carnforth Crescent, at about 5.20pm on Sunday, May 21. It was claimed that the car had left the scene.

Reece Braithwaite, 35, was found to have suffered life-threatening injuries and he was taken to hospital. He died on Wednesday, May 24.

Beareded Boydell, of Boulevard Avenue, Grimsby, appeared in the court's secure dock wearing a grey sweatshirt with a white motif and yellow stripes down the sleeves.

Defence barrister Peter Moulson KC said that Boydell claimed that he did not intend to kill Mr Braithwaite. Prosecutor Richard Wright KC said that if Boydell did not intend to kill Mr Braithwaite, the death was a "virtual certainty" because of his actions.

Mr Wright added that the prosecution team would be suggesting that the mandatory life sentence for Boydell should have a starting point of 25 years behind bars, before other adjustments were made over the minimum term to be served.

Sentence was adjourned until September and Boydell, who had been in custody, was further remanded in custody. Judge John Thackray KC told him: "It will inevitably be life imprisonment. I will decide on the day the minimum term that you will spend in custody."

The passenger in the vehicle, Thomas McLaughlin, 19, of Rutland Street, Grimsby, was also later arrested after the incident and, at an earlier preliminary hearing, was brought before the court alongside Boydell, accused of murder.

The case was originally adjourned for trial at Grimsby Crown Court on November 13. However, Jeremy Evans, for the prosecution, confirmed that, since then, the case against McLaughlin, as the passenger, has been discontinued. He was not in court for the hearing at which Boydell pleaded guilty.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/driver-liam-boydell-admits-murdering-8645041

Re: Driver Liam Boydell admits murdering cyclist Reece Braithwaite in Grimsby collision

<kj4odeFs4v7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31951&group=uk.rec.cycling#31951

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Driver Liam Boydell admits murdering cyclist Reece
Braithwaite in Grimsby collision
Date: 4 Aug 2023 16:47:42 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 16:47 UTC

Something confusing here!

Is ‘Liam Boydell, 22’ related to ‘Beareded Boydell’?

Who is the latter and why was he in court?

--
Spike

Re: Driver Liam Boydell admits murdering cyclist Reece Braithwaite in Grimsby collision

<fadae8dc-20f5-49e1-8817-2d318cb26f0en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31955&group=uk.rec.cycling#31955

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2023 11:33:07 -0700 (PDT)
Grimsby collision
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 18:33 UTC

QUOTE: Liam Boydell, 22, now faces a life sentence after pleading guilty to the charge at a hearing before Hull Crown Court.ENDS

Someone got life with a minimum of 28 years today - that's a good pointer for another murderer here.

Re: Driver Liam Boydell admits murdering cyclist Reece Braithwaite in Grimsby collision

<kj5g1eF19b6U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31957&group=uk.rec.cycling#31957

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Grimsby collision
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 00:30:44 +0100
 by: JNugent - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 23:30 UTC

> A driver has admitted murdering a cyclist who suffered serious injuries and later died following a road traffic collision in Grimsby.
>
> Liam Boydell, 22, now faces a life sentence after pleading guilty to the charge at a hearing before Hull Crown Court.
>
> Police were called to reports that a man had been hit by a grey Vauxhall Crossland car in Carnforth Crescent, at about 5.20pm on Sunday, May 21. It was claimed that the car had left the scene.
>
> Reece Braithwaite, 35, was found to have suffered life-threatening injuries and he was taken to hospital. He died on Wednesday, May 24.
>
> Beareded Boydell, of Boulevard Avenue, Grimsby, appeared in the court's secure dock wearing a grey sweatshirt with a white motif and yellow stripes down the sleeves.
>
> Defence barrister Peter Moulson KC said that Boydell claimed that he did not intend to kill Mr Braithwaite. Prosecutor Richard Wright KC said that if Boydell did not intend to kill Mr Braithwaite, the death was a "virtual certainty" because of his actions.
>
> Mr Wright added that the prosecution team would be suggesting that the mandatory life sentence for Boydell should have a starting point of 25 years behind bars, before other adjustments were made over the minimum term to be served.
>
> Sentence was adjourned until September and Boydell, who had been in custody, was further remanded in custody. Judge John Thackray KC told him: "It will inevitably be life imprisonment. I will decide on the day the minimum term that you will spend in custody."
>
> The passenger in the vehicle, Thomas McLaughlin, 19, of Rutland Street, Grimsby, was also later arrested after the incident and, at an earlier preliminary hearing, was brought before the court alongside Boydell, accused of murder.

Dual controls, was it?

> The case was originally adjourned for trial at Grimsby Crown Court on November 13. However, Jeremy Evans, for the prosecution, confirmed that, since then, the case against McLaughlin, as the passenger, has been discontinued. He was not in court for the hearing at which Boydell pleaded guilty.
>
> https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/driver-liam-boydell-admits-murdering-8645041

Re: Driver Liam Boydell admits murdering cyclist Reece Braithwaite in Grimsby collision

<kj5g2rF19b6U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31958&group=uk.rec.cycling#31958

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Grimsby collision
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 00:31:39 +0100
 by: JNugent - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 23:31 UTC

> QUOTE: Liam Boydell, 22, now faces a life sentence after pleading guilty to the charge at a hearing before Hull Crown Court.ENDS
>
> Someone got life with a minimum of 28 years today - that's a good pointer for another murderer here.

When were you arrested?

Re: Driver Liam Boydell admits murdering cyclist Reece Braithwaite in Grimsby collision

<163ddcab-694f-4f62-9064-772481729f6en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31960&group=uk.rec.cycling#31960

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 00:44:43 -0700 (PDT)
Grimsby collision
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 07:44 UTC

On Friday, August 4, 2023 at 7:33:09 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> QUOTE: Liam Boydell, 22, now faces a life sentence after pleading guilty to the charge at a hearing before Hull Crown Court.ENDS
>
> Someone got life with a minimum of 28 years today - that's a good pointer for another murderer here.

QUOTE: Mr Wright added that the prosecution team would be suggesting that the mandatory life sentence for Boydell should have a starting point of 25 years behind bars. ENDS

As you were then.
Let's see Mr Arsehole get him out of that one.

Re: Driver Liam Boydell admits murdering cyclist Reece Braithwaite in Grimsby collision

<kj6skuF81o9U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31961&group=uk.rec.cycling#31961

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Grimsby collision
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 13:12:14 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 12:12 UTC

On 05/08/2023 08:44 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Friday, August 4, 2023 at 7:33:09 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> QUOTE: Liam Boydell, 22, now faces a life sentence after pleading guilty to the charge at a hearing before Hull Crown Court.ENDS
>>
>> Someone got life with a minimum of 28 years today - that's a good pointer for another murderer here.
>
> QUOTE: Mr Wright added that the prosecution team would be suggesting that the mandatory life sentence for Boydell should have a starting point of 25 years behind bars. ENDS
>
> As you were then.
> Let's see Mr Arsehole get him out of that one.

I didn't know you'd moved into defence, M'Lud.

Is that your working name?

Re: Driver Liam Boydell admits murdering cyclist Reece Braithwaite in Grimsby collision

<1300fa3d-aca3-4a13-8852-f7bde3231acfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31962&group=uk.rec.cycling#31962

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 05:33:03 -0700 (PDT)
Grimsby collision
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 12:33 UTC

QUOTE: Sentence was adjourned until September and Boydell, who had been in custody, was further remanded in custody. Judge John Thackray KC told him: "It will inevitably be life imprisonment. I will decide on the day the minimum term that you will spend in custody." ENDS

Prosecution counsel suggests 25 years, M'Lud.

Re: Driver Liam Boydell admits murdering cyclist Reece Braithwaite in Grimsby collision

<kj70p5F8o2eU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31966&group=uk.rec.cycling#31966

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Braithwaite in Grimsby collision
Date: 5 Aug 2023 13:22:45 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 13:22 UTC

> QUOTE: Sentence was adjourned until September and Boydell, who had been
> in custody, was further remanded in custody. Judge John Thackray KC told
> him: "It will inevitably be life imprisonment. I will decide on the day
> the minimum term that you will spend in custody." ENDS
>
> Prosecution counsel suggests 25 years, M'Lud.

How can it be ‘life imprisonment’ if there is going to be a minimum term?

--
Spike

Re: Driver Liam Boydell admits murdering cyclist Reece Braithwaite in Grimsby collision

<kj73tkF95tsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31967&group=uk.rec.cycling#31967

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Grimsby collision
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 15:16:20 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 14:16 UTC

On 05/08/2023 02:22 pm, Spike wrote:

> swldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

>> QUOTE: Sentence was adjourned until September and Boydell, who had been
>> in custody, was further remanded in custody. Judge John Thackray KC told
>> him: "It will inevitably be life imprisonment. I will decide on the day
>> the minimum term that you will spend in custody." ENDS

>> Prosecution counsel suggests 25 years, M'Lud.

I thought you were now acting for the defence, M'Lud?

Make your mind up.

> How can it be ‘life imprisonment’ if there is going to be a minimum term?

When capital punishment for murder was abolished, we were lied to about
what would replace it.

Re: Driver Liam Boydell admits murdering cyclist Reece Braithwaite in Grimsby collision

<069fb47f-d59a-4f77-9cf3-efb6de0831c5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31969&group=uk.rec.cycling#31969

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 09:11:13 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Driver Liam Boydell admits murdering cyclist Reece Braithwaite in Grimsby collision
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 16:11 UTC

QUOTE: Defence barrister Peter Moulson KC said that Boydell claimed that he did not intend to kill Mr Braithwaite. ENDS

AND

QUOTE: A driver has admitted murdering a cyclist. ENDS

If the driver did not intend to kill the cyclist, then why did he later admit to murdering him?

Re: Driver Liam Boydell admits murdering cyclist Reece Braithwaite in Grimsby collision

<kj7kqiFbrclU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31973&group=uk.rec.cycling#31973

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Braithwaite in Grimsby collision
Date: 5 Aug 2023 19:04:50 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 19:04 UTC

> QUOTE: Defence barrister Peter Moulson KC said that Boydell claimed that
> he did not intend to kill Mr Braithwaite. ENDS
>
> AND
>
> QUOTE: A driver has admitted murdering a cyclist. ENDS
>
> If the driver did not intend to kill the cyclist, then why did he later
> admit to murdering him?

I think it’s covered by ‘fess up early doors’, a term regularly employed on
this group.

--
Spike

Re: Driver Liam Boydell admits murdering cyclist Reece Braithwaite in Grimsby collision

<2787379d-5005-4695-9d3f-709eab4b399fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31974&group=uk.rec.cycling#31974

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 12:34:45 -0700 (PDT)
Grimsby collision
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 19:34 UTC

On Saturday, August 5, 2023 at 5:11:15 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> QUOTE: Defence barrister Peter Moulson KC said that Boydell claimed that he did not intend to kill Mr Braithwaite. ENDS
>
> AND
>
> QUOTE: A driver has admitted murdering a cyclist. ENDS
>
> If the driver did not intend to kill the cyclist, then why did he later admit to murdering him?

I suppose the odd one is pressured into telling the truth.

Re: Driver Liam Boydell admits murdering cyclist Reece Braithwaite in Grimsby collision

<kj850sFe9a9U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31976&group=uk.rec.cycling#31976

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Grimsby collision
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 00:41:17 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 23:41 UTC

> On Saturday, August 5, 2023 at 5:11:15 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> QUOTE: Defence barrister Peter Moulson KC said that Boydell claimed that he did not intend to kill Mr Braithwaite. ENDS
>>
>> AND
>>
>> QUOTE: A driver has admitted murdering a cyclist. ENDS
>>
>> If the driver did not intend to kill the cyclist, then why did he later admit to murdering him?
>
> I suppose the odd one is pressured into telling the truth.

Not consulting a solicitor before agreeing to be interviewed (on a
serious matter such as this) is an error.

Sometimes, a solicitor can see where and why a defendant has acted
inadvisedly and will seek, in the interests of that client, to correct
any errors.

But you are well aware of that, M'Lud.

Re: Driver Liam Boydell admits murdering cyclist Reece Braithwaite in Grimsby collision

<5332826d-4d4a-4ad4-bf3f-eb5c4e190918n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31977&group=uk.rec.cycling#31977

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 02:15:11 -0700 (PDT)
Grimsby collision
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 09:15 UTC

QUOTE: Police were called to reports that a man had been hit by a grey Vauxhall Crossland car in Carnforth Crescent, at about 5.20pm on Sunday, May 21. It was claimed that the car had left the scene. ENDS

These self driving cars are a bugger for clearing off on their own!

Re: Driver Liam Boydell admits murdering cyclist Reece Braithwaite in Grimsby collision

<kj9ai2Fk2iuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31981&group=uk.rec.cycling#31981

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Braithwaite in Grimsby collision
Date: 6 Aug 2023 10:21:54 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 10:21 UTC

> QUOTE: Police were called to reports that a man had been hit by a grey
> Vauxhall Crossland car in Carnforth Crescent, at about 5.20pm on Sunday,
> May 21. It was claimed that the car had left the scene. ENDS
>
> These self driving cars are a bugger for clearing off on their own!

Bicyclists manage it all the time:

John Doe’, 72, 30 December 2016 (16d)

<https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/police-appeal-over-pedestrian-killed-in-collision-with-cyclist-in-shepherd-s-bush-a3464391.html>

--
Spike

Re: Driver Liam Boydell admits murdering cyclist Reece Braithwaite in Grimsby collision

<c509fd11-6fef-469d-a06c-0ec701c835a1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=31983&group=uk.rec.cycling#31983

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 03:48:57 -0700 (PDT)
Grimsby collision
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 10:48 UTC

QUOTE: Boydell, of Boulevard Avenue, Grimsby, appeared in the court's secure dock wearing a grey sweatshirt with a white motif and yellow stripes down the sleeves. ENDS

Looks like he is already getting used to his prison fatigues.