From: myshed@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Interwibbles nightmare
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 10:51:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 10:51 UTC

I've just returned from the void. Yesterday my wifi router stopped routing
wifi, and I was excluded from the world. It was very instructive to see
just how much of my life is managed by the internet these days. No emu, no
newspaper, no streaming TV, no access to the GP or hospital...and so on.
Even the car and the car's charger are wifi-connected. And no Shedde - oh
woe!
So I phoned Virgin Media's helpline and asked them to send me a new router
(that's the short version - it took a several of calls to Indian call
centres who I could barely understand, and explaining that no, unlike the
rest of the world I am not on Whatsapp).

7 days they said. No, I said, we are old and need to be connected to
support. OK, 3-5 days they said. Hmph, but that is the best they could do.
But I've just heard that it is coming this afternoon, so someone must have
taken pity on an old man.

But as you can see, we are already connected. Suddenly a weak wifi signal
that I thought was my neighbour's turns out to be VM's area network and
will respond to the same credentials as my router. So I neeedn't have
worried after all.

The world is whirrling faster than I am. I'm ready to get off it now.

--
Peter
-----

Re: Interwibbles nightmare

<slrnuuokou.15qi7.julian@n6are.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32030&group=uk.rec.sheds#32030

From: julian@n6are.com (Julian Macassey)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Interwibbles nightmare
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 12:16:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Julian Macassey - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 12:16 UTC

On Fri, 8 Mar 2024 10:51:50 -0000 (UTC), Peter <myshed@prune.org.uk> wrote:

> So I phoned Virgin Media's helpline and asked them to send me a new router
> (that's the short version - it took a several of calls to Indian call
> centres who I could barely understand, and explaining that no, unlike the
> rest of the world I am not on Whatsapp).

There's your problem, No longer a Virgin media. Get a
better ISP.

--
The NHS will last as long as there are folk left with faith to
fight for it. - Aneurin Bevan