I'd rather push my Harley than ride a rice burner.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / 'Callous' Peterborough robber who yelled at frightened boy and stole his bike jailed for three years

SubjectAuthor
* 'Callous' Peterborough robber who yelled at frightened boy and stoleswldx...@gmail.com
`- Re: 'Callous' Peterborough chav-cyclist who yelled at frightened boyJNugent

1
'Callous' Peterborough robber who yelled at frightened boy and stole his bike jailed for three years

<0c462a68-25f0-49db-94b4-0a5cec4c26dan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32005&group=uk.rec.cycling#32005

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2023 06:02:28 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: 'Callous' Peterborough robber who yelled at frightened boy and stole
his bike jailed for three years
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 8 Aug 2023 13:02 UTC

A “callous” robber, who stole a bike from a boy who was on his way to school, has been jailed.

Daniel Cowlbeck, 34, approached the 15-year-old as he was cycling along London Road, in Peterborough, close to Sherwood Avenue at about 8.30am on 7 June.

Cowlbeck grabbed the handlebars of the bike, repeatedly shouted at the victim to get off, telling him that he had a knife.).

Frightened, the boy complied, but took a photo of Cowlbeck as he rode off.

The following day the victim spotted Cowlbeck in Broadway, Peterborough, and followed him into Queensgate.

Cowlbeck got away, but he was identified by officers from CCTV footage in the shopping centre.

Cowlbeck, of no known address, was arrested and later admitted robbery.

On Monday last week (31 July) at Peterborough Crown Court he was jailed for three years and four months.

DC Leuan Friend said: "To steal a bike from a child really is a callous and cowardly crime.

“I’d like to commend the victim for his quick thinking in following Cowlbeck at a safe distance. This contributed to us identifying him and bringing him to justice.”

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/people/callous-peterborough-robber-who-yelled-at-frightened-boy-and-stole-his-bike-jailed-for-three-years-4247317

Re: 'Callous' Peterborough chav-cyclist who yelled at frightened boy and stole his bike jailed for three years

<kjf26jFic2pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32008&group=uk.rec.cycling#32008

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: 'Callous' Peterborough chav-cyclist who yelled at frightened boy
and stole his bike jailed for three years
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2023 15:36:03 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 8 Aug 2023 14:36 UTC

> A “callous” robber [a chav-cyclist], who stole a bike from a boy who was on his way to school, has been jailed.
>
> Daniel Cowlbeck, 34, approached the 15-year-old as he was cycling along London Road, in Peterborough, close to Sherwood Avenue at about 8.30am on 7 June.
>
> Cowlbeck grabbed the handlebars of the bike, repeatedly shouted at the victim to get off, telling him that he had a knife.).
>
> Frightened, the boy complied, but took a photo of Cowlbeck as he rode off.
>
> The following day the victim spotted Cowlbeck in Broadway, Peterborough, and followed him into Queensgate.
>
> Cowlbeck got away, but he was identified by officers from CCTV footage in the shopping centre.
>
> Cowlbeck, of no known address, was arrested and later admitted robbery.
>
> On Monday last week (31 July) at Peterborough Crown Court he was jailed for three years and four months.
>
> DC Leuan Friend said: "To steal a bike from a child really is a callous and cowardly crime.
>
> “I’d like to commend the victim for his quick thinking in following Cowlbeck at a safe distance. This contributed to us identifying him and bringing him to justice.”
>
> https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/people/callous-peterborough-robber-who-yelled-at-frightened-boy-and-stole-his-bike-jailed-for-three-years-4247317

What did he want the bike for?

Only two possible reasons:

(a) he's a chav-cyclist and wanted it to use, or

(b) he knew he could sell it to a chav-cyclist for ready cash OR break
it up for spare parts to be sold to other chav-cyclists cheap and "no
questions asked, guv'nor".

It could easily be (a) AND (b), of course.

One does not rule out the other.

But at least one of them applies.