Modesty is a vastly overrated virtue. -- J. K. Galbraith

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Police release footage of Yorkshire cyclist shortly before he was killed by drink driver as he left work

SubjectAuthor
* Police release footage of Yorkshire cyclist shortly before he wasswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Police release footage of Yorkshire cyclist shortlySpike
+- Re: Police release footage of Yorkshire cyclist shortly before he wasJNugent
`- Re: Police release footage of Yorkshire cyclist shortly before he wasswldx...@gmail.com

1
Police release footage of Yorkshire cyclist shortly before he was killed by drink driver as he left work

<6c0550bd-3569-4efe-bdb7-4850a7b6beb1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32153&group=uk.rec.cycling#32153

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 13:39:24 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Police release footage of Yorkshire cyclist shortly before he was
killed by drink driver as he left work
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 20:39 UTC

Rot in jail, you piece of scum.
==============================
Gregg Marsh, 24, was heading home from a friend’s house in Goldthorpe to his own home in Ackworth, near Pontefract, when he collided with Shaun Parkin-Coates as the 54-year-old cycled home from a shift at a Next distribution centre.

After the crash on the A638 Doncaster Road at South Elmsall in December 2019, Marsh drove his damaged Ford Fiesta for another five miles and was eventually arrested in bed.

He was sentenced at Leeds Crown Court today (Monday August 14) after being found guilty of causing death by dangerous driving. He was also banned from driving for 11 years and six months. Marsh had gone on trial because he denied the offences.

West Yorkshire Police have now released footage of Mr Parkin-Coates leaving the warehouse, showing that he was wearing reflective clothing and that he had lights on his bike.

Marsh blew two positive alcohol breathalyser tests at the police station, while blood samples showed he was over the limit for THC, the constituent of cannabis, and the metabolite of cocaine.

Detective Sergeant Paul Lightowler, of the Major Collision Enquiry Team, said: “Shaun was making his way home from work, with just a few days to go before Christmas, when one man’s selfish and reckless actions took away his future.

“He was wearing reflective clothing and had lights on his bike and backpack and had taken all sensible precautions that we would expect a cyclist to take when travelling at night.

“Marsh could have accepted responsibility for what he did on the night but instead chose to drive away. He again had the opportunity to accept responsibility for his actions at court but has not done so. Instead, he has maintained that he did not see Shaun and that there were no lights on his bike, a claim at odds with CCTV and eyewitness accounts.

“Before the collision, Marsh had been seen driving erratically and, on his arrest, had alcohol, cocaine and cannabis in his system. His behaviour and manner of driving that night was dangerous and sadly has ultimately resulted in Shaun’s death.

“I hope the conclusion of the court case brings some closure for Shaun’s family and friends after what has been an absolutely unimaginable few years.”

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/crime/gregg-marsh-trial-police-release-footage-of-yorkshire-cyclist-shortly-before-he-was-killed-by-drink-driver-as-he-left-work-4254981

Re: Police release footage of Yorkshire cyclist shortly before he was killed by drink driver as he left work

<kjvk5lF8slgU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32157&group=uk.rec.cycling#32157

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Police release footage of Yorkshire cyclist shortly
before he was killed by drink driver as he left work
Date: 14 Aug 2023 21:20:53 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 21:20 UTC

So what was the sentence, then?

--
Spike

Re: Police release footage of Yorkshire cyclist shortly before he was killed by drink driver as he left work

<kjvrseFa43tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32158&group=uk.rec.cycling#32158

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
killed by drink driver as he left work
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 00:32:31 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 23:32 UTC

> Rot in jail, you piece of scum.
> ===============================
>
> Gregg Marsh, 24, was heading home from a friend’s house in Goldthorpe to his own home in Ackworth, near Pontefract, when he collided with Shaun Parkin-Coates as the 54-year-old cycled home from a shift at a Next distribution centre.
>
> After the crash on the A638 Doncaster Road at South Elmsall in December 2019, Marsh drove his damaged Ford Fiesta for another five miles and was eventually arrested in bed.
>
> He was sentenced at Leeds Crown Court today (Monday August 14) after being found guilty of causing death by dangerous driving. He was also banned from driving for 11 years and six months. Marsh had gone on trial because he denied the offences.
>
> West Yorkshire Police have now released footage of Mr Parkin-Coates leaving the warehouse, showing that he was wearing reflective clothing and that he had lights on his bike.
>
> Marsh blew two positive alcohol breathalyser tests at the police station, while blood samples showed he was over the limit for THC, the constituent of cannabis, and the metabolite of cocaine.
>
> Detective Sergeant Paul Lightowler, of the Major Collision Enquiry Team, said: “Shaun was making his way home from work, with just a few days to go before Christmas, when one man’s selfish and reckless actions took away his future.
>
> “He was wearing reflective clothing and had lights on his bike and backpack and had taken all sensible precautions that we would expect a cyclist to take when travelling at night.
>
> “Marsh could have accepted responsibility for what he did on the night but instead chose to drive away. He again had the opportunity to accept responsibility for his actions at court but has not done so. Instead, he has maintained that he did not see Shaun and that there were no lights on his bike, a claim at odds with CCTV and eyewitness accounts.
>
> “Before the collision, Marsh had been seen driving erratically and, on his arrest, had alcohol, cocaine and cannabis in his system. His behaviour and manner of driving that night was dangerous and sadly has ultimately resulted in Shaun’s death.
>
> “I hope the conclusion of the court case brings some closure for Shaun’s family and friends after what has been an absolutely unimaginable few years.”
>
> https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/crime/gregg-marsh-trial-police-release-footage-of-yorkshire-cyclist-shortly-before-he-was-killed-by-drink-driver-as-he-left-work-4254981

You left out the main piece of information (funny, that, with all the
stuff you repeatedly cut and paste):

Strapline:

QUOTE:
A driver who had taken drugs and drunk alcohol before hitting a killing
a cyclist on a Yorkshire road and fleeing the scene has been jailed for
13 years.
ENDQUOTE

With the drugs offences as aggravation, that sounds fair.

Re: Police release footage of Yorkshire cyclist shortly before he was killed by drink driver as he left work

<ce4a5189-c135-4bc9-8a50-4aba05868889n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32161&group=uk.rec.cycling#32161

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 00:33:55 -0700 (PDT)
killed by drink driver as he left work
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 07:33 UTC

QUOTE: Instead, he has maintained that he did not see Shaun and that there were no lights on his bike, a claim at odds with CCTV and eyewitness accounts. ENDS

Lying piece of scum tried to blame the poor innocent victim.
13 YEARS - TAKE THAT.