From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Cycle lanes don’t make cycling
safe
Date: 19 Aug 2023 09:01:09 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 09:01 UTC

<https://www.forbes.com/sites/dianafurchtgott-roth/2022/09/08/bike-lanes-dont-make-cycling-safe/>

QUOTE The problem was originally described by industrial engineer John
Forester in his 800-page book Effective Cycling, which boasted seven
editions (MIT Press, 2012).

Forester estimated that accidents on bike lanes are 2.6 times higher than
on roadways, because bike paths are more dangerous. He forecast more
car-bike collisions, because it is difficult to make intersections between
cycle lanes and roads as safe as normal roads. Almost 90 percent of urban
accidents were caused by crossing or turning—either by the cyclist failing
to obey the rules of the road or the motorist turning into the cyclist, as
happened in the case of Langenkamp.

Writing about California plans for bike lanes, Forester stated, “Nobody
with traffic-engineering training could believe that [bikeway] designs that
so contradicted normal traffic-engineering knowledge would produce safe
traffic movements.... If these designs had been proposed for some class of
motorized traffic—say, trucks or motorcycles—the designers would have been
considered crazy.”ENDQUOTE

--
Spike

Re: Cycle lanes don’t make cycling safe

<ubqcdj$q20f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32229&group=uk.rec.cycling#32229

From: muzhmuzh@centrum.sk (Peter Keller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_Cycle_lanes_don’t_make_cycling_safe
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 00:26:27 +1200
 by: Peter Keller - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 12:26 UTC

On 19/08/23 21:01, Spike wrote:

> <https://www.forbes.com/sites/dianafurchtgott-roth/2022/09/08/bike-lanes-dont-make-cycling-safe/>
>
> QUOTE The problem was originally described by industrial engineer John
> Forester in his 800-page book Effective Cycling, which boasted seven
> editions (MIT Press, 2012).
>
> Forester estimated that accidents on bike lanes are 2.6 times higher than
> on roadways, because bike paths are more dangerous. He forecast more
> car-bike collisions, because it is difficult to make intersections between
> cycle lanes and roads as safe as normal roads. Almost 90 percent of urban
> accidents were caused by crossing or turning—either by the cyclist failing
> to obey the rules of the road or the motorist turning into the cyclist, as
> happened in the case of Langenkamp.
>
> Writing about California plans for bike lanes, Forester stated, “Nobody
> with traffic-engineering training could believe that [bikeway] designs that
> so contradicted normal traffic-engineering knowledge would produce safe
> traffic movements.... If these designs had been proposed for some class of
> motorized traffic—say, trucks or motorcycles—the designers would have been
> considered crazy.”ENDQUOTE

Agreed.

Re: Cycle lanes don’t make cycling safe

<kke229Fijs1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32256&group=uk.rec.cycling#32256

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Cycle lanes don’t make
cycling safe
Date: 20 Aug 2023 08:43:53 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 08:43 UTC

Spike <aero.spike@btinternet.invalid> wrote:

> <https://www.forbes.com/sites/dianafurchtgott-roth/2022/09/08/bike-lanes-dont-make-cycling-safe/>
>
> QUOTE The problem was originally described by industrial engineer John
> Forester in his 800-page book Effective Cycling, which boasted seven
> editions (MIT Press, 2012).
>
> Forester estimated that accidents on bike lanes are 2.6 times higher than
> on roadways, because bike paths are more dangerous. He forecast more
> car-bike collisions, because it is difficult to make intersections between
> cycle lanes and roads as safe as normal roads. Almost 90 percent of urban
> accidents were caused by crossing or turning—either by the cyclist failing
> to obey the rules of the road or the motorist turning into the cyclist, as
> happened in the case of Langenkamp.
>
> Writing about California plans for bike lanes, Forester stated, “Nobody
> with traffic-engineering training could believe that [bikeway] designs that
> so contradicted normal traffic-engineering knowledge would produce safe
> traffic movements.... If these designs had been proposed for some class of
> motorized traffic—say, trucks or motorcycles—the designers would have been
> considered crazy.”ENDQUOTE

QUOTE Jan Heine, editor-in-chief of Bicycle Quarterly, wrote, “Any barrier
that separates the cyclist visually from other traffic effectively hides
the cyclist. This is counterproductive to safety. Moving cyclists out of
the roadway altogether, on separate bike paths, is even more dangerous,
because drivers don’t look for (or cannot see) cyclists off to the side.”
He continued, “On streets with frequent intersections, separate paths only
make cycling less safe. I wish those who advocate for them would look at
the data and stop asking for facilities that will cause more
accidents.”ENDQUOTE

--
Spike