From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Birmingham’s CAZ: the health
benefits
Date: 17 Aug 2023 09:03:56 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 09:03 UTC

Everything you wanted to know about Birmingham’s Clean Air Zone.

<https://www.uk100.org/projects/knowledgehub/birminghams-clean-air-zone>

The only thing that isn’t mentioned are the reductions in asthma and other
lung conditions. This is surprising as ‘health benefits’ are the most-often
touted reason for introducing such zones.

Why this silence? Why are the ‘health benefits’ elusive? Were such zones
founded on faith rather than fact?

It is very similar to the claimed ‘health benefits’ of bicycling, where
decades of data show that for the major killer diseases, the Dutch -
despite all their bicycling - are no healthier than the English.

--
Spike

Re: Birmingham’s CAZ: the health benefits

<ubqa0u$pk0c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32227&group=uk.rec.cycling#32227

From: guddiesx@btinternet.invalid (colwyn)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_Birmingham’s_CAZ:_the_health_benefits
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 12:45:31 +0100
 by: colwyn - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 11:45 UTC

On 17/08/2023 10:03, Spike wrote:
> Everything you wanted to know about Birmingham’s Clean Air Zone.
>
> <https://www.uk100.org/projects/knowledgehub/birminghams-clean-air-zone>
>
> The only thing that isn’t mentioned are the reductions in asthma and other
> lung conditions. This is surprising as ‘health benefits’ are the most-often
> touted reason for introducing such zones.
>
> Why this silence? Why are the ‘health benefits’ elusive? Were such zones
> founded on faith rather than fact?
>
> It is very similar to the claimed ‘health benefits’ of bicycling, where
> decades of data show that for the major killer diseases, the Dutch -
> despite all their bicycling - are no healthier than the English.

Yeah ! Right!

The Netherlands ranks highest for quality of life in 2023
Published on 30 January 2023 at 16:00
According to the most recent findings from Numbeo, the Netherlands ranks
#1 for quality of life based on several factors including cost of
living, crime rates, healthcare, commute times, and environmental
pollution. Denmark and Switzerland came in second and third
respectively, rounding out the top 3.

Contact amsterdam inbusiness
Official foreign investment agency of the Amsterdam Metropolitan Area
Get in touch for information on setting up your business in the
Amsterdam area.
Helping international companies make a start in Amsterdam
Contact me
amsterdaminbusiness@amsterdam.nl
Consistently a global top performer
Numbeo is the world’s largest crowd-sourced quality of life database,
combining information on housing indicators, perceived crime rates,
healthcare quality, transport quality, and other statistics for
countries and cities all around the globe. Their 2023 Quality of Life
Index takes into account several factors including:

Purchasing power

Pollution level and climate index

Affordability of housing

Cost of living

Safety index

Quality of healthcare system

Traffic commute times

The Netherlands ranked #1 for overall quality of life globally, scoring
High to Very High in all the above categories with the exception of
pollution levels (Low), traffic commute time (Very Low), and cost of
living (Moderate).

Denmark and Switzerland took the remaining top spots. The same 3
European countries were named as top performers in last year’s ranking,
with Switzerland taking 1st and the Netherlands taking 3rd.

Re: Birmingham’s CAZ: the health benefits

<kkbtnbF8afkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32230&group=uk.rec.cycling#32230

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Birmingham’s CAZ: the health
benefits
Date: 19 Aug 2023 13:17:31 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 13:17 UTC

colwyn <guddiesx@btinternet.invalid> wrote:
> On 17/08/2023 10:03, Spike wrote:
>> Everything you wanted to know about Birmingham’s Clean Air Zone.
>>
>> <https://www.uk100.org/projects/knowledgehub/birminghams-clean-air-zone>
>>
>> The only thing that isn’t mentioned are the reductions in asthma and other
>> lung conditions. This is surprising as ‘health benefits’ are the most-often
>> touted reason for introducing such zones.
>>
>> Why this silence? Why are the ‘health benefits’ elusive? Were such zones
>> founded on faith rather than fact?
>>
>> It is very similar to the claimed ‘health benefits’ of bicycling, where
>> decades of data show that for the major killer diseases, the Dutch -
>> despite all their bicycling - are no healthier than the English
> Yeah ! Right!

> The Netherlands ranks highest for quality of life in 2023

We’re not talking about quality of life, we’re talking about quality of
death - which appears from the data to be very little different to the UK.

> Published on 30 January 2023 at 16:00
> According to the most recent findings from Numbeo, the Netherlands ranks
> #1 for quality of life based on several factors including cost of
> living, crime rates, healthcare, commute times, and environmental
> pollution. Denmark and Switzerland came in second and third
> respectively, rounding out the top 3.
>
> Contact amsterdam inbusiness
> Official foreign investment agency of the Amsterdam Metropolitan Area
> Get in touch for information on setting up your business in the
> Amsterdam area.
> Helping international companies make a start in Amsterdam
> Contact me
> amsterdaminbusiness@amsterdam.nl
> Consistently a global top performer
> Numbeo is the world’s largest crowd-sourced quality of life database,
> combining information on housing indicators, perceived crime rates,
> healthcare quality, transport quality, and other statistics for
> countries and cities all around the globe. Their 2023 Quality of Life
> Index takes into account several factors including:
>
> Purchasing power
>
> Pollution level and climate index
>
> Affordability of housing
>
> Cost of living
>
> Safety index
>
> Quality of healthcare system
>
> Traffic commute times
>
> The Netherlands ranked #1 for overall quality of life globally, scoring
> High to Very High in all the above categories with the exception of
> pollution levels (Low), traffic commute time (Very Low), and cost of
> living (Moderate).
>
> Denmark and Switzerland took the remaining top spots. The same 3
> European countries were named as top performers in last year’s ranking,
> with Switzerland taking 1st and the Netherlands taking 3rd.

None of which addresses the issue.

--
Spike