mixed emotions: Watching a bus-load of lawyers plunge off a cliff. With five empty seats.

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Re: Phobile Moans

SubjectAuthor
* Phobile MoansRichard Robinson
+- Re: Phobile MoansAbandoned Trolley
+* Re: Phobile MoansJohn Williamson
|`* Re: Phobile MoansSam Plusnet
| +- Re: Phobile MoansNicholas D. Richards
| `* Re: Phobile MoansKerr-Mudd, John
|  `* Re: Phobile MoansJohn Williamson
|   `* Re: Phobile MoansAhem A Rivet's Shot
|    `* Re: Phobile MoansJohn Williamson
|     `- Re: Phobile MoansAhem A Rivet's Shot
+- Re: Phobile MoansPeter
`* Re: Phobile MoansTease'n'Seize
 `* Re: Phobile Moansnev young
  `* Re: Phobile MoansThe Nomad
   `* Re: Phobile Moansnev young
    `- Re: Phobile MoansSn!pe

1
Phobile Moans

<ut1jr3$2a80h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32208&group=uk.rec.sheds#32208

From: richard@qualmograph.org.uk (Richard Robinson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Phobile Moans
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 13:52:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Richard Robinson - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 13:52 UTC

I go to login to a website, it tells me it's done the 2FA thing with a
text to my phone, so I turn the phone on and the text duly arrives.
Usually.

So a text is stored in the network, at least briefly. Does anybody know
how long it persists, before it falls into the great bitbucket in the
sky[1] ? Because I think I've missed some.
[1] falls upwards ?

Longer: the paygo sim I was using for 2FA stopped working. Bastard Asda.
When I set it up the deal was, 'use a bit of credit every six months',
then they changed it to 'put more zbarl in every six months', and I
hadn't noticed. So they cancelled it, number gone back to Ofcomm,
nothing to do, mate, yer fucked. And they claim to have sent
Notifications, which I never saw ...

Yesterday was "messy".

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Phobile Moans

<ut1nfm$2arj1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32210&group=uk.rec.sheds#32210

From: fred@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Phobile Moans
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 14:54:49 +0000
 by: Abandoned Trolley - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 14:54 UTC

On 15/03/2024 13:52, Richard Robinson wrote:
> I go to login to a website, it tells me it's done the 2FA thing with a
> text to my phone, so I turn the phone on and the text duly arrives.
> Usually.
>
> So a text is stored in the network, at least briefly. Does anybody know
> how long it persists, before it falls into the great bitbucket in the
> sky[1] ? Because I think I've missed some.
> [1] falls upwards ?
>

> Longer: the paygo sim I was using for 2FA stopped working. Bastard Asda.
> When I set it up the deal was, 'use a bit of credit every six months',
> then they changed it to 'put more zbarl in every six months', and I
> hadn't noticed. So they cancelled it, number gone back to Ofcomm,
> nothing to do, mate, yer fucked. And they claim to have sent
> Notifications, which I never saw ...
>
> Yesterday was "messy".

Mobile network operators do not give any guarantee that any SMS will be
delivered in any time frame - or delivered at all.

It could have been dropped at any point in the chain, so working out who
is responsible is an impossible and pointless task

Its an inherently insecure service and you just (probably temporarily)
ran out of luck.

Re: Phobile Moans

<l5j8rrFg496U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32211&group=uk.rec.sheds#32211

From: johnwilliamson@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 15:47:05 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 15:47 UTC

On 15/03/2024 13:52, Richard Robinson wrote:
> I go to login to a website, it tells me it's done the 2FA thing with a
> text to my phone, so I turn the phone on and the text duly arrives.
> Usually.
>
> So a text is stored in the network, at least briefly. Does anybody know
> how long it persists, before it falls into the great bitbucket in the
> sky[1] ? Because I think I've missed some.
> [1] falls upwards ?

That deep ends on the operator. The longest I've ever waited for a
bounce notification is a fortnight,and that was sent to Sarf Efrika.

> Longer: the paygo sim I was using for 2FA stopped working. Bastard Asda.
> When I set it up the deal was, 'use a bit of credit every six months',
> then they changed it to 'put more zbarl in every six months', and I
> hadn't noticed. So they cancelled it, number gone back to Ofcomm,
> nothing to do, mate, yer fucked. And they claim to have sent
> Notifications, which I never saw ...

Most of 'em in the you kay now say you have to give 'em zbarl every
month, and offer a direct debit to make it easy for you and make sure
you never run out of credit at their end. No panicking when the dreaded
"Bog off, you have no minutes left" message appears,just an unexpected
hole in your bank account.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Phobile Moans

<qS0JN.172035$JLvf.92287@fx44.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32212&group=uk.rec.sheds#32212

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 18:57:26 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 18:57 UTC

On 15-Mar-24 15:47, John Williamson wrote:
> On 15/03/2024 13:52, Richard Robinson wrote:
>> I go to login to a website, it tells me it's done the 2FA thing with a
>> text to my phone, so I turn the phone on and the text duly arrives.
>> Usually.
>>
>> So a text is stored in the network, at least briefly. Does anybody know
>> how long it persists, before it falls into the great bitbucket in the
>> sky[1] ? Because I think I've missed some.
>> [1] falls upwards ?
>>
> That deep ends on the operator. The longest I've ever waited for a
> bounce notification is a fortnight,and that was sent to Sarf Efrika.
>>
>> Longer: the paygo sim I was using for 2FA stopped working. Bastard Asda.
>> When I set it up the deal was, 'use a bit of credit every six months',
>> then they changed it to 'put more zbarl in every six months', and I
>> hadn't noticed. So they cancelled it, number gone back to Ofcomm,
>> nothing to do, mate, yer fucked. And they claim to have sent
>> Notifications, which I never saw ...
>>
> Most of 'em in the you kay now say you have to give 'em zbarl every
> month, and offer a direct debit to make it easy for you and make sure
> you never run out of credit at their end. No panicking when the dreaded
> "Bog off, you have no minutes left" message appears,just an unexpected
> hole in your bank account.

I use 1p mobile, & paid them 36 squid for a year with unlimited (UK)
calls & texts, but only 250Mb of data per month.

Stop Press: They've increased the price to £48 for the year, but
increased that tiny data limit to 500Mb per month.

It suits me because once I've set it up I can forget about it for a
twelvemonth - and not have yet another DD on my bank account.

p.s. Talking of direct debits, we've just got notice of our water
charges for the coming year - and it has GONE DOWN by around £1 per month.
I'm not complaining, just astonished.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Phobile Moans

<iUaHtWA5iM9lFAzu@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32213&group=uk.rec.sheds#32213

From: nicholas@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 22:16:25 +0000
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 22:16 UTC

In article <qS0JN.172035$JLvf.92287@fx44.iad>, Sam Plusnet
<not@home.com> on Fri, 15 Mar 2024 at 18:57:26 awoke Nicholas from his
slumbers and wrote

>p.s. Talking of direct debits, we've just got notice of our water
>charges for the coming year - and it has GONE DOWN by around £1 per month.
>I'm not complaining, just astonished.

Your supplier is not Thamsweater, I presume.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Phobile Moans

<20240316091442.6372cfe73b61a8c7697df605@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32214&group=uk.rec.sheds#32214

From: admin@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 09:14:42 +0000
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 09:14 UTC

On Fri, 15 Mar 2024 18:57:26 +0000
Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

> On 15-Mar-24 15:47, John Williamson wrote:
> > On 15/03/2024 13:52, Richard Robinson wrote:
> >> I go to login to a website, it tells me it's done the 2FA thing with a
> >> text to my phone, so I turn the phone on and the text duly arrives.
> >> Usually.
> >>
> >> So a text is stored in the network, at least briefly. Does anybody know
> >> how long it persists, before it falls into the great bitbucket in the
> >> sky[1] ? Because I think I've missed some.
> >> [1] falls upwards ?
> >>
> > That deep ends on the operator. The longest I've ever waited for a
> > bounce notification is a fortnight,and that was sent to Sarf Efrika.
> >>
> >> Longer: the paygo sim I was using for 2FA stopped working. Bastard Asda.
> >> When I set it up the deal was, 'use a bit of credit every six months',
> >> then they changed it to 'put more zbarl in every six months', and I
> >> hadn't noticed. So they cancelled it, number gone back to Ofcomm,
> >> nothing to do, mate, yer fucked. And they claim to have sent
> >> Notifications, which I never saw ...
> >>
> > Most of 'em in the you kay now say you have to give 'em zbarl every
> > month, and offer a direct debit to make it easy for you and make sure
> > you never run out of credit at their end. No panicking when the dreaded
> > "Bog off, you have no minutes left" message appears,just an unexpected
> > hole in your bank account.
>
> I use 1p mobile, & paid them 36 squid for a year with unlimited (UK)
> calls & texts, but only 250Mb of data per month.
>
> Stop Press: They've increased the price to £48 for the year, but
> increased that tiny data limit to 500Mb per month.
>
> It suits me because once I've set it up I can forget about it for a
> twelvemonth - and not have yet another DD on my bank account.
>
> p.s. Talking of direct debits, we've just got notice of our water
> charges for the coming year - and it has GONE DOWN by around £1 per month.
> I'm not complaining, just astonished.

We gets a tenner rebate; 'cos they've been giving out smaller
numbers about how much water leaks and such than has actually got lost.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Phobile Moans

<l5l88mFp7sqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32215&group=uk.rec.sheds#32215

From: johnwilliamson@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 09:49:10 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 09:49 UTC

On 16/03/2024 09:14, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:

> We gets a tenner rebate; 'cos they've been giving out smaller
> numbers about how much water leaks and such than has actually got lost.

That made me wonder,so I checked how much water is being lost in their
leaks. Round here, they lose six tonnes of water per day per kilometre
of water main (About 53 firkins per fortnight per furlong.). In that
there Lunnon, it's 20 tonnes. (Figures for past year.)

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Phobile Moans

<XnsB1376C1A0568DFactura3476@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32216&group=uk.rec.sheds#32216

From: myshed@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 10:37:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 10:37 UTC

Richard Robinson <richard@qualmograph.org.uk> wrote in news:ut1jr3$2a80h$1
@dont-email.me:

> I go to login to a website, it tells me it's done the 2FA thing with a
> text to my phone, so I turn the phone on and the text duly arrives.
> Usually.

Some places I use offer to send a text with a code but the text doesn't
arrive for hours, by which time it's expired, and so have the half-dozen
which I've asked for. They all arrive in a bundle at the end of the day.

--
Peter
-----

Re: Phobile Moans

<20240316111620.bbc5ef048e14da013733ce41@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32217&group=uk.rec.sheds#32217

From: steveo@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 11:16:20 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 11:16 UTC

On Sat, 16 Mar 2024 09:49:10 +0000
John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:

> That made me wonder,so I checked how much water is being lost in their
> leaks. Round here, they lose six tonnes of water per day per kilometre
> of water main (About 53 firkins per fortnight per furlong.). In that
> there Lunnon, it's 20 tonnes. (Figures for past year.)

Is that all ? With over 2 million tonnes delivered! Impressed.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Phobile Moans

<l5lg3eFqbm7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32219&group=uk.rec.sheds#32219

From: johnwilliamson@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 12:02:54 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 12:02 UTC

On 16/03/2024 11:16, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Mar 2024 09:49:10 +0000
> John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> That made me wonder,so I checked how much water is being lost in their
>> leaks. Round here, they lose six tonnes of water per day per kilometre
>> of water main (About 53 firkins per fortnight per furlong.). In that
>> there Lunnon, it's 20 tonnes. (Figures for past year.)
>
> Is that all ? With over 2 million tonnes delivered! Impressed.

Per day per kilometre, don't forget.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Phobile Moans

<20240316133235.f91e353c2b42c626869f0107@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32220&group=uk.rec.sheds#32220

From: steveo@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 13:32:35 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 13:32 UTC

On Sat, 16 Mar 2024 12:02:54 +0000
John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:

> On 16/03/2024 11:16, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> > On Sat, 16 Mar 2024 09:49:10 +0000
> > John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
> >
> >> That made me wonder,so I checked how much water is being lost in their
> >> leaks. Round here, they lose six tonnes of water per day per kilometre
> >> of water main (About 53 firkins per fortnight per furlong.). In that
> >> there Lunnon, it's 20 tonnes. (Figures for past year.)
> >
> > Is that all ? With over 2 million tonnes delivered! Impressed.
> >
> Per day per kilometre, don't forget.

Oh yeah that's a lot less impressive, IRTA as a total for London
per day.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/
For forms of government let fools contest
Whate're is best administered is best - Alexander Pope

Re: Phobile Moans

<kjudnR8XZJV7o2r4nZ2dnZfqnPudnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32230&group=uk.rec.sheds#32230

Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 19:05:09 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-and-seize@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 19:05 UTC

Richard Robinson wrote:

> Does anybody know how long it persists, before it falls into the
> great bitbucket

never seen anything say how long they're stored awaiting delivery,
suspect it varies by provider.

> Bastard Asda. When I set it up the deal was, 'use a bit of credit
> every six months', then they changed it to 'put more zbarl in every
> six months', and I hadn't noticed. So they cancelled it, number gone
> back to Ofcomm, nothing to do, mate, yer fucked.

phobile numbers are allocated by ofcom in blocks of 10k, so one
individual ceased number won't revert to ofcom, it'll probably revert to
the original provider (you may have ported it once or twice over the years?)

Re: Phobile Moans

<ut92km$3pv6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32233&group=uk.rec.sheds#32233

From: newsforpasiphae1953@yahoo.co.uk (nev young)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 09:48:06 +0000
 by: nev young - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 09:48 UTC

On 17/03/2024 19:05, Tease'n'Seize wrote:
> Richard Robinson wrote:
>
>> Does anybody know how long it persists, before it falls into the
>> great bitbucket
>
> never seen anything say how long they're stored awaiting delivery,
> suspect it varies by provider.
>
>> Bastard Asda. When I set it up the deal was, 'use a bit of credit
>> every six months', then they changed it to 'put more zbarl in every
>> six months', and I hadn't noticed. So they cancelled it, number gone
>> back to Ofcomm, nothing to do, mate, yer fucked.
>
> phobile numbers are allocated by ofcom in blocks of 10k, so one
> individual ceased number won't revert to ofcom, it'll probably revert to
> the original provider (you may have ported it once or twice over the
> years?)

(probably) bastard all phobile moan providers.
For many fortnights 1p mobile asked (ok required) a top up of 10zu every
120 days. Unused zu was carried over.

Had an emu t'other day about a change. It's now 10zu every 90 days and
unused zu is stolen back.

Almost makes me want to recharge the flattery on the 2m rig. CQCQCQ

--
Nev
It causes me a great deal of regret and remorse

Re: Phobile Moans

<2FUJN.2104316$Cm1.1484901@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32234&group=uk.rec.sheds#32234

From: nomad@the.desert.invalid (The Nomad)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 10:26:06 GMT
 by: The Nomad - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 10:26 UTC

On Mon, 18 Mar 2024 09:48:06 +0000, nev young

> Almost makes me want to recharge the flattery on the 2m rig. CQCQCQ

QRZ QRZ RRR

Avpx

--
Cats don't hunt seals. They would if they knew what they were and where
to find them. But they don't, so that's all right.

Re: Phobile Moans

<ut98ls$5397$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32235&group=uk.rec.sheds#32235

From: newsforpasiphae1953@yahoo.co.uk (nev young)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 11:31:08 +0000
 by: nev young - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 11:31 UTC

On 18/03/2024 10:26, The Nomad wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Mar 2024 09:48:06 +0000, nev young
>>
>> Almost makes me want to recharge the flattery on the 2m rig. CQCQCQ
>
> QRZ QRZ RRR

M0NFY 59 JO02pp

--
Nev
It causes me a great deal of regret and remorse
that so many people are unable to understand what I write.

Re: Phobile Moans

<1qqma6k.x07bqep7d678N%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32239&group=uk.rec.sheds#32239

From: snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 13:19:17 +0000
iZ4vFDG
 by: Sn!pe - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 13:19 UTC

nev young <newsforpasiphae1953@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On 18/03/2024 10:26, The Nomad wrote:
> > On Mon, 18 Mar 2024 09:48:06 +0000, nev young
> >>
> >> Almost makes me want to recharge the flattery on the 2m rig. CQCQCQ
> >
> > QRZ QRZ RRR
> >
> M0NFY 59 JO02pp

ZCZC ST01
RTTY RULES OK
NNNN

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS, G8DGC - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon just is.