From: bap@shrdlu.com (Bernard Peek)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Domain hosting
Date: 18 Mar 2024 14:42:35 GMT
 by: Bernard Peek - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 14:42 UTC

I've just registered another Internet domain. It's one I've beem gooving
about for yonks, but now it's come down in cevpr. So I'll be relinquishing
shrdlu.com and shrdlu.co.uk and possibly gizmodynamics.com too.

Now that I've retired the domain name seems even more apposite.

carey.st

Any advice on hosting a small static web-site and a mail server. I have a
static IP address from Zen. I have small stack of retired flaptops and a few
Raspberry Pis I can use.

--
Bernard Peek
bap@shrdlu.com (for now)

Re: Domain hosting

<utbo78$oq4c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32263&group=uk.rec.sheds#32263

From: newsforpasiphae1953@yahoo.co.uk (nev young)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Domain hosting
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 10:08:40 +0000
 by: nev young - Tue, 19 Mar 2024 10:08 UTC

On 18/03/2024 14:42, Bernard Peek wrote:
> I've just registered another Internet domain. It's one I've beem gooving
> about for yonks, but now it's come down in cevpr. So I'll be relinquishing
> shrdlu.com and shrdlu.co.uk and possibly gizmodynamics.com too.
>
> Now that I've retired the domain name seems even more apposite.
>
> carey.st
>
> Any advice on hosting a small static web-site and a mail server. I have a
> static IP address from Zen. I have small stack of retired flaptops and a few
> Raspberry Pis I can use.

I run 3 web domains from a single raspberry pi via zen.

Step 1
apt install apache2*

Step 2
write your wibble and put it in as /var/www/

Step 3
test it http://localhost/

Step 3
Get your domain registered and pointed at your ip address.

YMMV

--
Nev
It causes me a great deal of regret and remorse

Re: Domain hosting

<utkamf$3121s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32301&group=uk.rec.sheds#32301

From: noinv@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 16:13:03 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:D+BlCoV1KsZ4RA7AnT9eYIV01u8=
 by: Brian - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 16:13 UTC

Bernard Peek <bap@shrdlu.com> wrote:
> I've just registered another Internet domain. It's one I've beem gooving
> about for yonks, but now it's come down in cevpr. So I'll be relinquishing
> shrdlu.com and shrdlu.co.uk and possibly gizmodynamics.com too.
>
> Now that I've retired the domain name seems even more apposite.
>
> carey.st
>
> Any advice on hosting a small static web-site and a mail server. I have a
> static IP address from Zen. I have small stack of retired flaptops and a few
> Raspberry Pis I can use.

A R Pi will certainly host a web server. There are numerous videos on
YouTube re setting one up. You will need to set up port forwarding on your
router.

You could possibly use a NAS if you have one which has the ability. Mine
does, although I don’t use it.

The same applies for the mail server.

I run a few websites. I use a commercial service for some and a volunteer
one for another. The commercial one has mail options and domain purchasing
etc, plus Wordpress etc.

I have run one on an R Pi, one briefly from my NAS, and on a PC (Linux) but
prefer not to host from home.

Re: Domain hosting

<20240322165207.85c672f4c6c2083efbbfc616@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32302&group=uk.rec.sheds#32302

From: steveo@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 16:52:07 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 16:52 UTC

On 18 Mar 2024 14:42:35 GMT
Bernard Peek <bap@shrdlu.com> wrote:

> Any advice on hosting a small static web-site and a mail server.

Been doing this for years - my servers run in jails on a FreeBSD
based NAS.

If the web site is purely static then something like thttpd is a
good choice as it's very light and it's easy to completely disable CGI so
that it can't serve anything but static content.

As for mail server - pick an MTA any MTA, install dovecot as an
IMAP/POP3 server and use a smart host for outgoing (ISP relay or something
like Socketlabs' free tier) and things are reasonably straightforward.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Domain hosting

<20240322200803.03ee1ccc778a032de95b4910@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32303&group=uk.rec.sheds#32303

From: steveo@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 20:08:03 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 20:08 UTC

On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 16:52:07 +0000
Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:

> On 18 Mar 2024 14:42:35 GMT
> Bernard Peek <bap@shrdlu.com> wrote:
>
> > Any advice on hosting a small static web-site and a mail server.
>
> Been doing this for years - my servers run in jails on a FreeBSD
> based NAS.
>
> If the web site is purely static then something like thttpd is a
> good choice as it's very light and it's easy to completely disable CGI so
> that it can't serve anything but static content.
>
> As for mail server - pick an MTA any MTA, install dovecot as an
> IMAP/POP3 server and use a smart host for outgoing (ISP relay or something
> like Socketlabs' free tier) and things are reasonably straightforward.

Forgot to mention - install spamassassin TAAAW that should filter
out pretty much all the incoming spam.