Do nothing unless you must, and when you must act -- hesitate.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Cyclists left baffled as “pointless” new bike route sends them straight towards locked gates

SubjectAuthor
* Cyclists left baffled as “pointless” new bike roswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointlessJNugent
+* Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointless” new bikswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointless”Spike
|+* Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointless” new bikswldx...@gmail.com
||+- Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointless”Spike
||`* Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointless” new bikswldx...@gmail.com
|| +- Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointless”Spike
|| `* Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointless” new bikswldx...@gmail.com
||  `- Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointless”Spike
|+* Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointless” new bikswldx...@gmail.com
||+- Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointless”Spike
||`* Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointless” new bikswldx...@gmail.com
|| `- Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointless”Spike
|+* Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointless” new bikswldx...@gmail.com
||+- Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointless”Spike
||`* Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointless” new bikswldx...@gmail.com
|| `- Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointless”Spike
|`- Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointless” new bikswldx...@gmail.com
`* Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointless” new bikswldx...@gmail.com
 `- Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointlessJNugent

1
Cyclists left baffled as “pointless” new bike route sends them straight towards locked gates

<0e5592bf-d690-47c3-b79f-ff955b1d3ed6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32265&group=uk.rec.cycling#32265

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 07:26:24 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Cyclists_left_baffled_as_“pointless”_new_bike_ro
ute_sends_them_straight_towards_locked_gates
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 14:26 UTC

Cyclists and locals have been left bemused after a new painted cycle route, introduced as part of a Low Traffic Neighbourhood scheme, appeared to direct them straight towards a pair of permanently locked gates.

The bike lane has been installed in Heaton, a suburb of Newcastle upon Tyne, as a new addition to the area’s Low Traffic Neighbourhood (LTN). Alongside Newcastle City Council’s aim to provide “good quality and safe walking and wheeling routes”, the trial LTN was introduced last October using an Experimental Traffic Regulation Order (ETRO) (link is external) and followed on from a similar scheme implemented earlier in 2022 in Fenham.

The newly installed cycle route encourages cyclists to travel through Heaton Park, via the entrance off Heaton Park View, connecting them to Jesmond Dene. However, as the Chronicle reports (link is external), the path has instead become a source of some confusion, as the large metal gates at the park’s entrance – which were initially left open when the lane was first installed – remained padlocked shut for most of August.

At the end of July, one local posted images of the newly opened gates along the cycleway, with local Liberal Democrat councillor Gareth Kane praising his party colleagues for creating a “more accessible” cycle path and that the path is now the “safest route for kids to cycle to Jesmond Park Academy and families to ride to Jesmond Dene”.

However, just a few days later, locals reported that the gates were once again locked shut, a situation that carried on for much of the following three weeks, prompting one resident to describe the cycleway as “a bit pointless otherwise”.

Another told the Chronicle that the issue meant that the bike lane had become a “total white elephant” as a result.

Earlier this week, however, Urban Green Newcastle, an independent charity committed to preserving the city’s green spaces, posted on social media that the gates were “temporarily closed as there is currently no way of safely securing them open”.

The group continued: “As old gates, they don’t currently have fixings to secure them in place and stop them swinging open. There are concerns that, if caught by the wind and swung open, they could cause injury to cyclists or pedestrians.

“Safety of the public across Newcastle’s wonderful parks is a priority for us, so for now, the gates are closed until safety can be assured.”

Following Urban Green Newcastle’s work to address the situation, on Thursday the gates were fixed open with new drop bolts, to ensure the safety of passing cyclists and pedestrians.

A Newcastle City Council spokesperson said: “As part of the neighbourhood low traffic zone trial in Heaton, we have made temporary cycling arrangements to improve access and safety for people on foot and bike visiting Heaton Park via Heaton Park View.

“As part of the new arrangements, it was anticipated that the main gates would be opened but additional safety works and inspections meant they had to remain closed on a temporary basis, with access through the side gates. This work is now complete and the main gates are fully open.

“We are now nearing the completion of the new cycling arrangements at the park entrance, which will include new traffic signals with a cycle only phase coming out of Heaton Park View, and pedestrian crossings to further improve safety for people visiting their local park.”

https://road.cc/content/news/new-bike-route-sends-cyclists-towards-locked-gates-303361

Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointless” new bike route sends them straight towards locked gates

<kkf2opFnip2U4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32272&group=uk.rec.cycling#32272

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_Cyclists_left_baffled_as_“pointless
”_new_bike_route_sends_them_straight_towards_locked_gates
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 19:02:01 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 18:02 UTC

> [...]
>
> A Newcastle City Council spokesperson said: “As part of the neighbourhood low traffic zone trial in Heaton, we have made temporary cycling arrangements to improve access and safety for people on foot and bike visiting Heaton Park via Heaton Park View.
>
> “As part of the new arrangements, it was anticipated that the main gates would be opened but additional safety works and inspections meant they had to remain closed on a temporary basis, with access through the side gates. This work is now complete and the main gates are fully open.
>
> “We are now nearing the completion of the new cycling arrangements at the park entrance, which will include new traffic signals with a cycle only phase coming out of Heaton Park View, and pedestrian crossings to further improve safety for people visiting their local park.”

Even (perhaps particularly) when action is taken for their safety,
chav-cyclists "still" complain.

It's their default setting to be at odds with the world.

Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointless” new bike route sends them straight towards locked gates

<071bf7a5-a481-4901-91e5-0dbabdedfc3en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32278&group=uk.rec.cycling#32278

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 11:40:28 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_Cyclists_left_baffled_as_“pointless”_new_bik
e_route_sends_them_straight_towards_locked_gates
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 18:40 UTC

QUOTE: Now fixed open.

Thanks to the team for getting this sorted as quickly as possible. ENDS

ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F3ts7SoXcAA1Wf5?format=jpg&name=large

Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointless” new bik e route sends them straight towards locked gates

<kkf57jFo28qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32280&group=uk.rec.cycling#32280

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 20 Aug 2023 18:44:04 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 18:44 UTC

> QUOTE: Now fixed open.
>
> Thanks to the team for getting this sorted as quickly as possible. ENDS
>
> ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL.
>
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F3ts7SoXcAA1Wf5?format=jpg&name=large

The Carnage in the Park hasn’t started yet…

--
Spike

Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointless” new bike route sends them straight towards locked gates

<6a1765b9-1f1c-4fca-93ff-99dca37e16c9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32283&group=uk.rec.cycling#32283

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 12:00:56 -0700 (PDT)
e_route_sends_them_straight_towards_locked_gates
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 19:00 UTC

On Sunday, August 20, 2023 at 7:40:30 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> QUOTE: Now fixed open.
>
> Thanks to the team for getting this sorted as quickly as possible. ENDS
>
> ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL.
>
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F3ts7SoXcAA1Wf5?format=jpg&name=large

QUOTE: This work is now complete and the main gates are fully open. ENDS

JUST AS I SAID! THANKS!

Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointless” new bik e route sends them straight towards locked gates

<kkfe5kFpd4cU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32289&group=uk.rec.cycling#32289

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 20 Aug 2023 21:16:36 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 21:16 UTC

> On Sunday, August 20, 2023 at 7:40:30 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> QUOTE: Now fixed open.
>>
>> Thanks to the team for getting this sorted as quickly as possible. ENDS
>>
>> ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL.
>>
>> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F3ts7SoXcAA1Wf5?format=jpg&name=large
>
> QUOTE: This work is now complete and the main gates are fully open. ENDS
>
> JUST AS I SAID! THANKS!

Ho Ho ho… a RED traffic light on the entrance/exit to the park! We all know
how cyclists treat them!

--
Spike

Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointless” new bike route sends them straight towards locked gates

<446979d8-d041-4981-820b-5e0cbda4dfb6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32300&group=uk.rec.cycling#32300

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 23:43:24 -0700 (PDT)
e_route_sends_them_straight_towards_locked_gates
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 21 Aug 2023 06:43 UTC

QUOTE: remained padlocked shut for most of August. ENDS

HALF OF AUGUST IN FACT.

Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointless” new bike route sends them straight towards locked gates

<kkigsgF9r77U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32331&group=uk.rec.cycling#32331

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
”_new_bike_route_sends_them_straight_towards_locked_gates
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 02:21:18 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 01:21 UTC

On 21/08/2023 07:43 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> QUOTE: remained padlocked shut for most of August. ENDS
>
> HALF OF AUGUST IN FACT.

No ONE CARES.

Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointless” new bike route sends them straight towards locked gates

<f9ff5c7f-4057-44c8-9d3b-875032d86bc1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32334&group=uk.rec.cycling#32334

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 01:00:14 -0700 (PDT)
e_route_sends_them_straight_towards_locked_gates
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 08:00 UTC

I wonder why they felt the need to paint new double yellow lines there as well.
The mind boggles. Idiots will park anywhere it seems.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F3ts8PjXwAA0MMB?format=jpg&name=large

Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointless” new bik e route sends them straight towards locked gates

<kkjds0Fe9k0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32338&group=uk.rec.cycling#32338

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 22 Aug 2023 09:36:00 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 09:36 UTC

> I wonder why they felt the need to paint new double yellow lines there as well.
> The mind boggles. Idiots will park anywhere it seems.
>
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F3ts8PjXwAA0MMB?format=jpg&name=large

Under the psycholist philosophy of ‘Blame. Blame everyone. Blame everyone
bar yourselves’, what do you think the comments might have been had there
been no yellow lines put there? 🙄

--
Spike

Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointless” new bike route sends them straight towards locked gates

<79751c87-7ea0-4faf-a99a-a43ccb0b0463n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32341&group=uk.rec.cycling#32341

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 03:33:30 -0700 (PDT)
e_route_sends_them_straight_towards_locked_gates
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 10:33 UTC

On Tuesday, August 22, 2023 at 9:00:16 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> I wonder why they felt the need to paint new double yellow lines there as well.
> The mind boggles. Idiots will park anywhere it seems.
>
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F3ts8PjXwAA0MMB?format=jpg&name=large

Especially as they have erected these signs as well!

https://cdn.road.cc/sites/default/files/styles/main_width/public/heaton-park-cycle-route-and-gates-jesmond-dene-twitter.jpg

Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointless” new bik e route sends them straight towards locked gates

<kkjlo3FfgfcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32350&group=uk.rec.cycling#32350

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 22 Aug 2023 11:50:27 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 11:50 UTC

> On Tuesday, August 22, 2023 at 9:00:16 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> I wonder why they felt the need to paint new double yellow lines there as well.
>> The mind boggles. Idiots will park anywhere it seems.
>>
>> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F3ts8PjXwAA0MMB?format=jpg&name=large
>
> Especially as they have erected these signs as well!

You don’t seem to be aware of the difference between temporary and
permanent…🙄

> https://cdn.road.cc/sites/default/files/styles/main_width/public/heaton-park-cycle-route-and-gates-jesmond-dene-twitter.jpg

--
Spike

Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointless” new bike route sends them straight towards locked gates

<a0b95223-d5bc-46f1-987e-89cbb101614cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32354&group=uk.rec.cycling#32354

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 05:28:07 -0700 (PDT)
e_route_sends_them_straight_towards_locked_gates
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 12:28 UTC

Baldy
@Baldy_Baldy_
·
Aug 21
Im sorry but what a disservice to the original fabricators of those gates. These welds are terrible.
Also there’s no steel sleeve on the tarmac for that catch.
Looks like a rushed cheap bodge job.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F4CyFMCWsAEzjtl?format=jpg&name=large

Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointless” new bik e route sends them straight towards locked gates

<kkjob1Fft8oU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32355&group=uk.rec.cycling#32355

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 22 Aug 2023 12:34:41 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 12:34 UTC

> Baldy
> @Baldy_Baldy_
> ·
> Aug 21
> Im sorry but what a disservice to the original fabricators of those
> gates. These welds are terrible.
> Also there’s no steel sleeve on the tarmac for that catch.
> Looks like a rushed cheap bodge job.
>
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F4CyFMCWsAEzjtl?format=jpg&name=large

Good grief.

You asked for the gates to be fixed, they got fixed, and now you’re
complaining they weren’t fixed to your standards!

Typical cyclist: ‘Blame. Blame everyone. Blame everyone bar yourselves’.

--
Spike

Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointless” new bike route sends them straight towards locked gates

<35fe2c06-9762-4033-a71e-2a4ed1a72983n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32359&group=uk.rec.cycling#32359

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 05:41:35 -0700 (PDT)
e_route_sends_them_straight_towards_locked_gates
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 12:41 UTC

On Tuesday, August 22, 2023 at 1:28:09 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Baldy
> @Baldy_Baldy_
> ·
> Aug 21
> Im sorry but what a disservice to the original fabricators of those gates.. These welds are terrible.
> Also there’s no steel sleeve on the tarmac for that catch.
> Looks like a rushed cheap bodge job.
>
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F4CyFMCWsAEzjtl?format=jpg&name=large

Like human waste in rivers - free of meddling EU rules = shoddy standards..

Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointless” new bik e route sends them straight towards locked gates

<kkjp1vFg0ibU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32363&group=uk.rec.cycling#32363

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 22 Aug 2023 12:46:55 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 12:46 UTC

> On Tuesday, August 22, 2023 at 1:28:09 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Baldy
>> @Baldy_Baldy_
>> ·
>> Aug 21
>> Im sorry but what a disservice to the original fabricators of those
>> gates. These welds are terrible.
>> Also there’s no steel sleeve on the tarmac for that catch.
>> Looks like a rushed cheap bodge job.
>>
>> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F4CyFMCWsAEzjtl?format=jpg&name=large
>
> Like human waste in rivers - free of meddling EU rules = shoddy standards.

Jesus wept…

Your comment displays a breathtaking ignorance.

Sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
rather than open it and remove all doubt…🙄

--
Spike

Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointless” new bike route sends them straight towards locked gates

<44011c87-25a9-42c1-8a6c-9fee3041c798n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32365&group=uk.rec.cycling#32365

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 05:51:25 -0700 (PDT)
e_route_sends_them_straight_towards_locked_gates
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 12:51 UTC

I thought that these works bikes were "impossible" to use?

https://cdn.road.cc/sites/default/files/styles/main_width/public/cyclists-riding-through-heaton-park-gates-newcastle-jesmond-dene-twitter.jpg

Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointless” new bik e route sends them straight towards locked gates

<kkjpk1Fg36rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32367&group=uk.rec.cycling#32367

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 22 Aug 2023 12:56:33 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 12:56 UTC

> I thought that these works bikes were "impossible" to use?
>
> https://cdn.road.cc/sites/default/files/styles/main_width/public/cyclists-riding-through-heaton-park-gates-newcastle-jesmond-dene-twitter.jpg

Is it normal to hang a bag on the handlebars?

--
Spike

Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointless” new bike route sends them straight towards locked gates

<3b09f399-6163-471b-87c0-b38a72cb288bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32370&group=uk.rec.cycling#32370

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 06:00:08 -0700 (PDT)
e_route_sends_them_straight_towards_locked_gates
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 13:00 UTC

On Tuesday, August 22, 2023 at 1:51:27 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> I thought that these works bikes were "impossible" to use?
>
> https://cdn.road.cc/sites/default/files/styles/main_width/public/cyclists-riding-through-heaton-park-gates-newcastle-jesmond-dene-twitter.jpg

A fridge will fit on the rear of that - job done!

Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointless” new bik e route sends them straight towards locked gates

<kkjs45Fgfp5U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32373&group=uk.rec.cycling#32373

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 22 Aug 2023 13:39:17 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 13:39 UTC

> On Tuesday, August 22, 2023 at 1:51:27 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> I thought that these works bikes were "impossible" to use?
>>
>> https://cdn.road.cc/sites/default/files/styles/main_width/public/cyclists-riding-through-heaton-park-gates-newcastle-jesmond-dene-twitter.jpg
>
> A fridge will fit on the rear of that - job done!

That’s a lot to cart around just to keep the beer cool.

--
Spike

Re: Cyclists left baffled as “pointless” new bike route sends them straight towards locked gates

<c20bdda5-ebee-4cda-bc43-e04592a2d3b6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32376&group=uk.rec.cycling#32376

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 08:20:18 -0700 (PDT)
e_route_sends_them_straight_towards_locked_gates
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 15:20 UTC

QUOTE: Jesmond Dene
@JesmondDeneOrg
·
Jul 28
Aaaaaand the gate into Heaton Park is now open. Feels like it’s been closed for a loooong time. It was installed in 1909 so maybe not that long. ENDS