It is a wise father that knows his own child. -- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Council installs CCTV cameras to catch out bad school-run parking and issue £70 fines as locals complain about 'bone idle, disrespectful' parents

SubjectAuthor
* Council installs CCTV cameras to catch out bad schooswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Council installs CCTV camerasSpike
+* Re: Council installs CCTV cameras to catch out bad sswldx...@gmail.com

1
Council installs CCTV cameras to catch out bad school-run parking and issue £70 fines as locals complain about 'bone idle, disrespectful' parents

<64dc2420-ebd9-430f-9848-863e9c4bb4a9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32421&group=uk.rec.cycling#32421

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 08:53:20 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Council_installs_CCTV_cameras_to_catch_out_bad_schoo
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 15:53 UTC

A cash-strapped council has installed CCTV cameras outside three schools' gates to open up a new revenue stream fining parents dropping off their children.

Three primaries will have them fitted after locals have slammed 'disrespectful' mothers and fathers.

They are the brainchild of North East Lincolnshire Council, who said in September it was forecasting a net £7.9million overspend of its 2022/23 budget.

Cars parking on Keep Clear markings will automatically be detected.

Reckless drivers caught stopping on the yellow zigzag lines will be slapped with a £70 fine.

It will be cut in half if paid within 14 days.
Councillor Ron Shepherd described the cameras as being long-overdue for the schools

Signhills Academy in Cleethorpes already has parking CCTV like the new ones installed there

Parking outside schools has become a problem for many and now council have set up cameras.

The cameras will be installed before the start of term in two weeks' time.

They will be set up at Stanford Junior School, Scartho Infants School and Waltham Leas Primary, all in Grimsby, Lincolnshire.

For the first fortnight of term drivers parking illegally will receive a warning letter.

Locals have welcomed the move.

Andy Spall said: 'It's every school. Bone idle, disrespectful parents.'

Carol Hillam said: 'Basically, yes, they should fined.

Old Clee Primary school in Grimsby has featured parking like this before the camera install

Scartho Infants School in Grimsby, Lincolnshire, which will get one of the cameras fitted

'They know they are doing wrong but do it anyway.

'A child does not have to be dropped at the gate.

'It's all about being convenient for the parent.'

Others saw the move as redundant.

Maureen Oglesby said: 'Not a chance that'll work.

'Inconsiderate parents will park when and wherever they like to get their precious ones, save their legs from walking very far.'

The fines will be introduced next month.

Councillor Ron Shepherd said: 'These are long overdue and will hopefully help to tackle some of the real issues we experience in these areas.

'In Waltham and Scartho in particular, I know that there are major issues with cars stopping illegally and parking dangerously in the vicinity of the schools, blocking other vehicles and making the area unsafe for children walking to and from school.

'We have seen some encouraging results at the other sites, so I'm hoping that we'll see similar here.

'I want to work with schools and parents to make the spaces outside our schools safe for children.

'The solution, quite simply, is to either allow your child to walk to and from school if that's appropriate, or to find a suitable parking space when dropping off your child.

'Instead, what we're seeing quite a lot outside our schools is parents stopping the car right outside the gates, in areas that aren't suitable for parking, and parents getting out and walking their child to the gates, abandoning their vehicles.

'It has to stop and I'm optimistic that this is the solution.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12436965/Council-installs-CCTV-cameras-catch-bad-school-run-parking-issue-70-fines-locals-complain-bone-idle-disrespectful-parents.html

Re: Council installs CCTV cameras to catch out bad schoo l-run parking and issue £70 fines as locals complain about 'bone idle, disrespectful' parents

<kkmovrF1gk6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32423&group=uk.rec.cycling#32423

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Council installs CCTV cameras
Date: 23 Aug 2023 16:04:11 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 16:04 UTC

> A cash-strapped council has installed CCTV cameras outside three schools'
> gates to open up a new revenue stream fining parents dropping off their children.

Let’s hope that the cameras catch pavement cyclists speeding past.

The reference to ‘cash-strapped council’ rather gives away the real reason
for this project.

--
Spike

Re: Council installs CCTV cameras to catch out bad school-run parking and issue £70 fines as locals complain about 'bone idle, disrespectful' parents

<3b7d06dd-be60-4ea9-8851-0e4089e64c5fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32429&group=uk.rec.cycling#32429

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 09:34:17 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_Council_installs_CCTV_cameras_to_catch_out_bad_s
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 16:34 UTC

Yanky - Pete, Yorkshire, United Kingdom, 2 hours ago

Every school has the same issues and quite honestly any driver who parks so kids have to walk into busy roads or make it hard to cross because they've parked on zigzags deserves every fine coming to them.

Re: Council installs CCTV cameras to catch out bad s chool-run parking and issue £70 fines as locals complain ab out 'bone idle, disrespectful' parents

<kkn9jiF430cU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32435&group=uk.rec.cycling#32435

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 23 Aug 2023 20:47:46 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 20:47 UTC

> Yanky - Pete, Yorkshire, United Kingdom, 2 hours ago
>
> Every school has the same issues and quite honestly any driver who parks
> so kids have to walk into busy roads or make it hard to cross because
> they've parked on zigzags deserves every fine coming to them.

Perhaps the same should happen to pavement cyclists who speed past school
gates at more than the 20 limit for motor vehicles, eh?

--
Spike

Re: Council installs CCTV cameras to catch out bad school-run parking and issue £70 fines as locals complain about 'bone idle, disrespectful' parents

<f10c8e31-8557-4b62-80e3-bfc59ec476a8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32436&group=uk.rec.cycling#32436

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 14:05:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 21:05 UTC

QUOTE: Locals have welcomed the move. Andy Spall said: 'It's every school. Bone idle, disrespectful parents.'
Carol Hillam said: 'Basically, yes, they should fined. ENDS

"Reckless drivers caught stopping on the yellow zigzag lines will be slapped with a £70 fine. "

BOOM!

Re: Council installs CCTV cameras to catch out bad s chool-run parking and issue £70 fines as locals complain ab out 'bone idle, disrespectful' parents

<kknbi3F4dggU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32437&group=uk.rec.cycling#32437

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 23 Aug 2023 21:21:07 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 21:21 UTC

> QUOTE: Locals have welcomed the move. Andy Spall said: 'It's every
> school. Bone idle, disrespectful parents.'
> Carol Hillam said: 'Basically, yes, they should fined. ENDS
>
> "Reckless drivers caught stopping on the yellow zigzag lines will be
> slapped with a £70 fine. "
>
> BOOM!

Perhaps the drivers should get electric-motor cycles instead, and speed
along the pavement.

--
Spike

Re: Council installs CCTV cameras to catch out bad school-run parking and issue £70 fines as locals complain about 'bone idle, disrespectful' parents

<kkneu4F4tplU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32438&group=uk.rec.cycling#32438

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_Council_installs_CCTV_cameras_to_catch_out_bad_scho
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 23:18:43 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 22:18 UTC

> Yanky - Pete, Yorkshire, United Kingdom, 2 hours ago
>
> Every school has the same issues and quite honestly any driver who parks so kids have to walk into busy roads or make it hard to cross because they've parked on zigzags deserves every fine coming to them.

Outside schools, not every zig-zag marking is connected with a
pedestrian crossing.

Some of them simply simply mean "No stopping during [certain restricted
hours]" and have no more legal significance than does a yellow kerb line
or double kerb-line.

Of course, stopping within those zig-zag markings associated with a
zebra or pelicon crossing is an endorsable offence (and quite right too).

What will be done to punish the chavs on chav-bikes who ride on the
footways outside schools, without regard to the local speed limit?

Re: Council installs CCTV cameras to catch out bad s chool-run parking and issue £70 fines as locals complain ab out 'bone idle, disrespectful' parents

<kknev7F4tplU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32439&group=uk.rec.cycling#32439

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_Council_installs_CCTV_cameras_to_catch_out_bad_s_ch
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 23:19:19 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 22:19 UTC

On 23/08/2023 09:47 pm, Spike wrote:
> swldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yanky - Pete, Yorkshire, United Kingdom, 2 hours ago
>>
>> Every school has the same issues and quite honestly any driver who parks
>> so kids have to walk into busy roads or make it hard to cross because
>> they've parked on zigzags deserves every fine coming to them.
>
> Perhaps the same should happen to pavement cyclists who speed past school
> gates at more than the 20 limit for motor vehicles, eh?

....and who admit to riding their chav-bikes on the FOOTway at such
locations.

Re: Council installs CCTV cameras to catch out bad school-run parking and issue £70 fines as locals complain about 'bone idle, disrespectful' parents

<61d09df9-4be5-42da-99ba-a11d7e40b6den@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32441&group=uk.rec.cycling#32441

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 23:36:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 06:36 UTC

QUOTE: , I know that there are major issues with cars stopping illegally and parking dangerously in the vicinity of the schools, blocking other vehicles and making the area unsafe for children walking to and from school. ENDS

You are making the mistake in assuming that these selfish gits care that they are breaking the law and putting children in danger.

They don't.

Re: Council installs CCTV cameras to catch out bad s chool-run parking and issue £70 fines as locals complain ab out 'bone idle, disrespectful' parents

<kkoidnFa8ooU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32443&group=uk.rec.cycling#32443

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 24 Aug 2023 08:24:23 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 08:24 UTC

> QUOTE: , I know that there are major issues with cars stopping illegally
> and parking dangerously in the vicinity of the schools, blocking other
> vehicles and making the area unsafe for children walking to and from school. ENDS

> You are making the mistake in assuming that these selfish gits care that
> they are breaking the law and putting children in danger. They don't.

And this from a footway cyclist!

--
Spike

Re: Council installs CCTV cameras to catch out bad school-run parking and issue £70 fines as locals complain about 'bone idle, disrespectful' parents

<kkok1lFaen6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32445&group=uk.rec.cycling#32445

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 09:52:05 +0100
 by: JNugent - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 08:52 UTC

On 24/08/2023 07:36 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> QUOTE: , I know that there are major issues with cars stopping illegally and parking dangerously in the vicinity of the schools, blocking other vehicles and making the area unsafe for children walking to and from school. ENDS
>
> You are making the mistake in assuming that these selfish gits care that they are breaking the law and putting children in danger.
>
> They don't.

Oh, come on.

At least they aren't hurtling along the FOOTway outside the schools at
more than 30mph.

But we DO know someone who admitted - nay, BOASTED of - doing exactly
that, don't we?

The very same person has boasted of committing other traffic offences,
quite deliberately.

Ring any bells?

Re: Council installs CCTV cameras to catch out bad school-run parking and issue £70 fines as locals complain about 'bone idle, disrespectful' parents

<da081fd9-2a42-41be-beec-8ca18b1c5affn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32448&group=uk.rec.cycling#32448

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 02:47:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 09:47 UTC

Leah Booker-t Symth, London, United Kingdom, about an hour ago

Finally! Now target Disabled parking Bays on streets, supermarkets, and retail car parks. Selfish drivers will park in the bays to avoid their cars getting pranged. It's a cash cow waiting to be collected.

Re: Council installs CCTV cameras to catch out bad s chool-run parking and issue £70 fines as locals complain ab out 'bone idle, disrespectful' parents

<kkorjqFblpmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32453&group=uk.rec.cycling#32453

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 24 Aug 2023 11:01:14 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 11:01 UTC

> Leah Booker-t Symth, London, United Kingdom, about an hour ago
>
> Finally! Now target Disabled parking Bays on streets, supermarkets, and
> retail car parks. Selfish drivers will park in the bays to avoid their
> cars getting pranged. It's a cash cow waiting to be collected.

And if ever there was a time when Councils - that people vote for, of
course -needed a cash cow, it’s now. Although I suspect this petty project
won’t net the £5bn they are short.

--
Spike

Re: Council installs CCTV cameras to catch out bad school-run parking and issue £70 fines as locals complain about 'bone idle, disrespectful' parents

<b34d3f7a-bf42-47ff-abad-c8564c8fab6fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32456&group=uk.rec.cycling#32456

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 05:56:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 12:56 UTC

Stuart, Halifax_West Yorkshire, about 5 hours ago

Surely the motivation is to deter parents parking in obviously illegal places thereby improving road safety. It only happens because those parents know they can get away with it. The cameras should be installed at every school and repeat offenders should see their fines increased with every offence, finally ending up in court.

silverbob, hereford, United Kingdom, about 6 hours ago

We could do with this in supermarket carparks too!! I should film the antics of "parking" I'm my local supermarket carpark! It's like a "Carry on film"

Mel314, London, United Kingdom, 7 hours ago

Good, perfect place for councils to site revenue earning cameras as the schools are useless in dealing with these awful drivers. I had 2 meetings with my grand daughter's headteacher about the parking wars under her watch. The council then sent one of those little camera recording vans but they're not allowed to stop or do any foot patrol outside the school, just waste time & fuel doing 1 circuit around the school!

Some parents driving around schools in opening hours, is truly shocking. And there appears to be a ranking order in levels of selfishness too - the 4x4 Karen drivers (as almost always female & blonde & the first to make a scene if they're blocked in because of their bad parking) are the winners by far. Double parking with their precious cargo opening the car-door roadside, trying to dodge any oncoming traffic and running into school by themselves, Karens get to keep their butts nice & warm in the car as it's everyone else job to keep an eye on the kids on a busy road.

Re: Council installs CCTV cameras to catch out bad s chool-run parking and issue £70 fines as locals complain ab out 'bone idle, disrespectful' parents

<kkp723Fde7nU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32462&group=uk.rec.cycling#32462

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 24 Aug 2023 14:16:35 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 14:16 UTC

> Stuart, Halifax_West Yorkshire, about 5 hours ago

> Surely the motivation is to deter parents parking in obviously illegal
> places thereby improving road safety. It only happens because those
> parents know they can get away with it.

Ding! Logic failure!

Shifting the problem away from location A doesn’t mean that it won’t arise
when those who were so shifted use Location B instead.

> The cameras should be installed at every school and repeat offenders
> should see their fines increased with every offence, finally ending up in court.

I think much the same should happen to footway cyclists and those who abuse
pedestrian-only areas.

> silverbob, hereford, United Kingdom, about 6 hours ago

> We could do with this in supermarket carparks too!! I should film the
> antics of "parking" I'm my local supermarket carpark! It's like a "Carry on film"

Live somewhere less pikey.

> Mel314, London, United Kingdom, 7 hours ago

> Good, perfect place for councils to site revenue earning cameras as the
> schools are useless in dealing with these awful drivers. I had 2 meetings
> with my grand daughter's headteacher about the parking wars under her
> watch. The council then sent one of those little camera recording vans
> but they're not allowed to stop or do any foot patrol outside the school,
> just waste time & fuel doing 1 circuit around the school!

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it…

> Some parents driving around schools in opening hours, is truly shocking.
> And there appears to be a ranking order in levels of selfishness too -
> the 4x4 Karen drivers (as almost always female & blonde & the first to
> make a scene if they're blocked in because of their bad parking) are the
> winners by far. Double parking with their precious cargo opening the
> car-door roadside, trying to dodge any oncoming traffic and running into
> school by themselves, Karens get to keep their butts nice & warm in the
> car as it's everyone else job to keep an eye on the kids on a busy road.

“…it's everyone else job to keep an eye on the kids on a busy road”.

Yes, it says so in the Highway Code, of which many cyclists appear to have
read little and understood less.

--
Spike

Re: Council installs CCTV cameras to catch out bad school-run parking and issue £70 fines as locals complain about 'bone idle, disrespectful' parents

<4c7bb503-e0d8-4a60-969e-13e8964d5313n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32465&group=uk.rec.cycling#32465

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 08:18:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 15:18 UTC

Lazy parents in pyjamas needing to get home to watch TV...

"Do be quick Charlotte, they now have cameras, and mummy has not done her hair and I'm wearing my grey PJs. Do hurry darling."

We could do with this in supermarket carparks too!! I should film the antics of "parking" I'm my local supermarket carpark! It's like a "Carry on film..

Good about time, local school parking on zig zags common, these entitled parents would be the first to demand jail if there child was hit because of parked cars on yellows.

I miss the good old days when kids used to walk to school. I used to walk more than two and a half miles to school, a lot of the route was secluded paths, it did me no harm, in fact it kept me lean and fit (something a lot of kids can't say these days). Kids were brought up to live in the real world back then.

Lazy entitled parents used to park right outside the school gates when my son was at junior school. I and other parents complained regularly to the head mistress but it took a child getting knocked down and seriously injured for them to act. That child's injuries are on her and could have been avoided. Shameful.

I regularly see two parents from my development dropping their kids off at nursery in their cars when I'm out with the dog. It is a 5 minute walk. Absolute Disgrace.

most sit with their engines running and on their mobiles too , some for 20 minutes. Obviously never heard of climate change or pollution.

A terrible article that seems to say the council is enforcing the parking rules to generate income. The reality is that this is actually a prime example of why these rules exist. Furthermore the council is giving the rule breakers a 2 week grace period- if it was purely income generation there would be immediate enforcement.

I work in a school and amazed on how many parents cannot walk round the corner with their children sometimes deciding to park over residents driveways . Reversing in the nearly houses driveways to turn around. Speeding up the road and stopping on yellow lines to let child out . Many of these children are not in correct seating or have booster seats . It's always the same ones late