How many priests are needed for a Boston Mass?

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Glossing

SubjectAuthor
* GlossingSoup
+* Re: GlossingHymermut
|`* Re: GlossingSoup
| `* Re: GlossingHymermut
|  `- Re: GlossingSoup
+* Re: GlossingSn!pe
|+- Re: GlossingSoup
|`* Re: GlossingTease'n'Seize
| `- Re: GlossingNicholas D. Richards
`* Re: GlossingAbandoned Trolley
 `* Re: GlossingSoup
  +* Re: GlossingAbandoned Trolley
  |`- Re: GlossingSoup
  `* Re: Glossingchrisnd@privacy.net
   `* Re: GlossingJohn Williamson
    `* Re: GlossingNicholas D. Richards
     `* Re: GlossingMark P. Nelson
      +* Re: GlossingJohn Williamson
      |+* Re: GlossingAbandoned Trolley
      ||+* Re: GlossingNicholas D. Richards
      |||`- Re: GlossingNicholas D. Richards
      ||`- Re: GlossingGeoff Ellis
      |`* Re: GlossingSam Plusnet
      | `* Re: GlossingNicholas D. Richards
      |  `- Re: GlossingAbandoned Trolley
      `* Re: GlossingNicholas D. Richards
       `- Re: GlossingPeter

Pages:12
Glossing

<uv35tn$5rsf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32496&group=uk.rec.sheds#32496

From: cheez2011@gmail.com (Soup)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Glossing
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 11:39:50 +0100
 by: Soup - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 10:39 UTC

Well the chances of that getting a second coat lies between nowt and
snowball's.
I had a new door put in but it (and its new stops) was unpainted.
So last night i decided I was going to paint it , masked it all off but
then decided it was getting late so would paint it tomorrow, then I
spent all night lieing awake thinking just how I would do it. At 7:30
this morning I decided I was spending longer thinking about it than
actually doing it, so set too.
Painting it was VV difficult as I could not see where I had just done
( bathroom didn't really need decorating it was the unpainted wood of
the new door that forced decorating) so lots of wee marks (I'll do this
bit between here and here then...).

Managed to get a couple of drips on the floor so wiped that up immediately.
So now having a cuppa having cleaned up, no chance of going back and
putting another coat on.
Feel the one coat it ahs got with the basically sound and clean paint
underneath will be enough.

Re: Glossing

<uv3fs6$897c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32499&group=uk.rec.sheds#32499

From: tone@email.com (Hymermut)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Glossing
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 14:29:42 +0100
 by: Hymermut - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 13:29 UTC

On 09/04/2024 11:39, Soup wrote:
> Well the chances of that getting a second coat lies between nowt and
> snowball's.
>   I had a new door put in but it (and its new stops) was unpainted.
> So last night i decided I was going to paint it , masked it all off but
> then decided it was getting late so would paint it tomorrow, then I
> spent all night lieing awake thinking just how I would do it. At 7:30
> this morning I decided I was spending longer thinking about it than
> actually doing it, so set too.
>   Painting it was VV difficult as I could not see where I had just done
> ( bathroom didn't really need decorating it was the unpainted wood of
> the new door that forced decorating) so lots of wee marks (I'll do this
> bit between here and here then...).
>
> Managed to get a couple of drips on the floor so wiped that up immediately.
>    So now having a cuppa having cleaned up, no chance of going back and
> putting another coat on.
>   Feel the one coat it ahs got with the basically sound and clean paint
> underneath will be enough.

I said
I do not adore
painting a door
It's such a bore
There's paint on the floor
Through a grey mist
There's bits that I've missed
So with aching wrist
I'm gonna get pissed
Instead

Tone 2024

Re: Glossing

<1qrr6bb.1eb8xge1l7urfzN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32502&group=uk.rec.sheds#32502

From: snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 15:17:30 +0100
iZ4vFDG
 by: Sn!pe - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 14:17 UTC

Soup <cheez2011@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well the chances of that getting a second coat lies between nowt and
> snowball's.
> I had a new door put in but it (and its new stops) was unpainted.
> So last night i decided I was going to paint it , masked it all off but
> then decided it was getting late so would paint it tomorrow, then I
> spent all night lieing awake thinking just how I would do it. At 7:30
> this morning I decided I was spending longer thinking about it than
> actually doing it, so set too.
> Painting it was VV difficult as I could not see where I had just done
> ( bathroom didn't really need decorating it was the unpainted wood of
> the new door that forced decorating) so lots of wee marks (I'll do this
> bit between here and here then...).
>
> Managed to get a couple of drips on the floor so wiped that up immediately.
> So now having a cuppa having cleaned up, no chance of going back and
> putting another coat on.
> Feel the one coat it ahs got with the basically sound and clean paint
> underneath will be enough.

The conjunction of 'bathroom', 'wee marks' and 'drips'
very nearly put me off reading the rest of that harticule.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Re: Glossing

<uv3k7j$9csv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32506&group=uk.rec.sheds#32506

From: cheez2011@gmail.com (Soup)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 15:44:03 +0100
 by: Soup - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 14:44 UTC

On 09/04/2024 15:17, Sn!pe wrote:
> Soup <cheez2011@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Well the chances of that getting a second coat lies between nowt and
>> snowball's.
>> I had a new door put in but it (and its new stops) was unpainted.
>> So last night i decided I was going to paint it , masked it all off but
>> then decided it was getting late so would paint it tomorrow, then I
>> spent all night lieing awake thinking just how I would do it. At 7:30
>> this morning I decided I was spending longer thinking about it than
>> actually doing it, so set too.
>> Painting it was VV difficult as I could not see where I had just done
>> ( bathroom didn't really need decorating it was the unpainted wood of
>> the new door that forced decorating) so lots of wee marks (I'll do this
>> bit between here and here then...).
>>
>> Managed to get a couple of drips on the floor so wiped that up immediately.
>> So now having a cuppa having cleaned up, no chance of going back and
>> putting another coat on.
>> Feel the one coat it ahs got with the basically sound and clean paint
>> underneath will be enough.
>
> The conjunction of 'bathroom', 'wee marks' and 'drips'
> very nearly put me off reading the rest of that harticule.

Now, now, mind out of the gutter.

Re: Glossing

<uv3kdj$9csv$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32507&group=uk.rec.sheds#32507

From: cheez2011@gmail.com (Soup)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 15:47:15 +0100
 by: Soup - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 14:47 UTC

On 09/04/2024 14:29, Hymermut wrote:
> On 09/04/2024 11:39, Soup wrote:
>> Well the chances of that getting a second coat lies between nowt and
>> snowball's.
>>    I had a new door put in but it (and its new stops) was unpainted.
>> So last night i decided I was going to paint it , masked it all off but
>> then decided it was getting late so would paint it tomorrow, then I
>> spent all night lieing awake thinking just how I would do it. At 7:30
>> this morning I decided I was spending longer thinking about it than
>> actually doing it, so set too.
>>    Painting it was VV difficult as I could not see where I had just done
>> ( bathroom didn't really need decorating it was the unpainted wood of
>> the new door that forced decorating) so lots of wee marks (I'll do this
>> bit between here and here then...).
>>
>> Managed to get a couple of drips on the floor so wiped that up
>> immediately.
>>     So now having a cuppa having cleaned up, no chance of going back
>> and putting another coat on.
>>    Feel the one coat it ahs got with the basically sound and clean
>> paint underneath will be enough.
>>

> I said
> I do not adore
> painting a door
> It's such a bore
> There's paint on the floor
> Through a grey mist
> There's bits that I've missed
> So with aching wrist
> I'M GONNA GET PISSED
> INSTEAD
> Tone 2024

Sounds good to me.
Or rather it would if I wasn't the world's only TT Scotsman.

Re: Glossing

<uv3ksc$9htt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32508&group=uk.rec.sheds#32508

From: tone@email.com (Hymermut)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 15:55:07 +0100
 by: Hymermut - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 14:55 UTC

On 09/04/2024 15:47, Soup wrote:
> Sounds good to me.
> Or rather it would if I wasn't the world's only TT Scotsman.

Is that even legal in that Scawtland?

Tone

Re: Glossing

<uv3oah$a92a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32510&group=uk.rec.sheds#32510

From: fred@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 16:53:52 +0100
 by: Abandoned Trolley - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 15:53 UTC

On 09/04/2024 11:39, Soup wrote:
> Well the chances of that getting a second coat lies between nowt and
> snowball's.
>   I had a new door put in but it (and its new stops) was unpainted.
> So last night i decided I was going to paint it , masked it all off but
> then decided it was getting late so would paint it tomorrow, then I
> spent all night lieing awake thinking just how I would do it. At 7:30
> this morning I decided I was spending longer thinking about it than
> actually doing it, so set too.
>   Painting it was VV difficult as I could not see where I had just done
> ( bathroom didn't really need decorating it was the unpainted wood of
> the new door that forced decorating) so lots of wee marks (I'll do this
> bit between here and here then...).
>
> Managed to get a couple of drips on the floor so wiped that up immediately.
>    So now having a cuppa having cleaned up, no chance of going back and
> putting another coat on.
>   Feel the one coat it ahs got with the basically sound and clean paint
> underneath will be enough.

long ago and far away ... my late father was a painter and decorator
employed by the (even later) GLC

The business of applying "distemper" to walls and ceilings was
apparently made a bit easier by adding a slight blue tint to the base coat.

The "blue" used was a small bag of Reckitts laundry blue - but I havent
seen one this century.

Probably no use for oil base paints anyway ... :-\

Re: Glossing

<uv3prp$aq2v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32511&group=uk.rec.sheds#32511

From: cheez2011@gmail.com (Soup)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 17:20:09 +0100
 by: Soup - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 16:20 UTC

On 09/04/2024 15:55, Hymermut wrote:
> On 09/04/2024 15:47, Soup wrote:
>> Sounds good to me.
>> Or rather it would if I wasn't the world's only TT Scotsman.
>
> Is that even legal in that Scawtland?
>
> Tone

Illegal adjacent (to paraphrase Reacher [Prime Video])

Re: Glossing

<uv3qe9$aq2v$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32512&group=uk.rec.sheds#32512

From: cheez2011@gmail.com (Soup)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 17:30:00 +0100
 by: Soup - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 16:30 UTC

On 09/04/2024 16:53, Abandoned Trolley wrote:
> On 09/04/2024 11:39, Soup wrote:
>> Well the chances of that getting a second coat lies between nowt and
>> snowball's.
>>    I had a new door put in but it (and its new stops) was unpainted.
>> So last night i decided I was going to paint it , masked it all off but
>> then decided it was getting late so would paint it tomorrow, then I
>> spent all night lieing awake thinking just how I would do it. At 7:30
>> this morning I decided I was spending longer thinking about it than
>> actually doing it, so set too.
>>    Painting it was VV difficult as I could not see where I had just done
>> ( bathroom didn't really need decorating it was the unpainted wood of
>> the new door that forced decorating) so lots of wee marks (I'll do this
>> bit between here and here then...).
>>
>> Managed to get a couple of drips on the floor so wiped that up
>> immediately.
>>     So now having a cuppa having cleaned up, no chance of going back
>> and putting another coat on.
>>    Feel the one coat it ahs got with the basically sound and clean
>> paint underneath will be enough.
>>

> long ago and far away  ... my late father was a painter and decorator
> employed by the (even later) GLC
>
> The business of applying "distemper" to walls and ceilings was
> apparently made a bit easier by adding a slight blue tint to the base coat.
>
> The "blue" used was a small bag of Reckitts laundry blue - but I havent
> seen one this century.
>
> Probably no use for oil base paints anyway ... :-\

Seem to remember(think it was one of the Mike Holmes programmes) where
ceiling paint(so I guess some form of emulsion) went on with a pink
tinge but dried white. Sounds like a similar idea to your dads.

Just bog-standard paint for me(mind you was oil based), goes on white
dries white, ah well.

Re: Glossing

<uv3qtb$b2b7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32513&group=uk.rec.sheds#32513

From: fred@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 17:38:02 +0100
 by: Abandoned Trolley - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 16:38 UTC

> Seem to remember(think it was one of the Mike Holmes programmes) where
> ceiling paint(so I guess some form of emulsion) went on with a pink
> tinge but dried white.  Sounds like a similar idea to your dads.
>
>  Just bog-standard paint for me(mind you was oil based), goes on white
> dries white, ah well.

Not sure about Mike Holmes ... but I reckon that Barry Bucknell bloke
was responsible for ruining a good few weekends

Re: Glossing

<uv424m$crii$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32514&group=uk.rec.sheds#32514

From: cheez2011@gmail.com (Soup)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 19:41:25 +0100
 by: Soup - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 18:41 UTC

On 09/04/2024 17:38, Abandoned Trolley wrote:

>> Seem to remember(think it was one of the Mike Holmes programmes) where
>> ceiling paint(so I guess some form of emulsion) went on with a pink
>> tinge but dried white.  Sounds like a similar idea to your dads.
>>
>>   Just bog-standard paint for me(mind you was oil based), goes on
>> white dries white, ah well.
>>

> Not sure about Mike Holmes ... but I reckon that Barry Bucknell bloke
> was responsible for ruining a good few weekends

Nor me . BB was before my time I am just a whippersnapper, merely 61.

Re: Glossing

<l7nl68Ft844U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32517&group=uk.rec.sheds#32517

From: chrisnd@privacy.net (chrisnd@privacy.net)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 15:14:32 +0100
 by: chrisnd@privacy.net - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 14:14 UTC

On 09/04/2024 17:30, Soup wrote:
> On 09/04/2024 16:53, Abandoned Trolley wrote:
>> On 09/04/2024 11:39, Soup wrote:
>>> Well the chances of that getting a second coat lies between nowt and
>>> snowball's.
>>>    I had a new door put in but it (and its new stops) was unpainted.
>>> So last night i decided I was going to paint it , masked it all off but
>>> then decided it was getting late so would paint it tomorrow, then I
>>> spent all night lieing awake thinking just how I would do it. At 7:30
>>> this morning I decided I was spending longer thinking about it than
>>> actually doing it, so set too.
>>>    Painting it was VV difficult as I could not see where I had just done
>>> ( bathroom didn't really need decorating it was the unpainted wood of
>>> the new door that forced decorating) so lots of wee marks (I'll do this
>>> bit between here and here then...).
>>>
>>> Managed to get a couple of drips on the floor so wiped that up
>>> immediately.
>>>     So now having a cuppa having cleaned up, no chance of going back
>>> and putting another coat on.
>>>    Feel the one coat it ahs got with the basically sound and clean
>>> paint underneath will be enough.
>>>

>> long ago and far away  ... my late father was a painter and decorator
>> employed by the (even later) GLC
>>
>> The business of applying "distemper" to walls and ceilings was
>> apparently made a bit easier by adding a slight blue tint to the base
>> coat.
>>
>> The "blue" used was a small bag of Reckitts laundry blue - but I
>> havent seen one this century.
>>
>> Probably no use for oil base paints anyway ... :-\
>
> Seem to remember(think it was one of the Mike Holmes programmes) where
> ceiling paint(so I guess some form of emulsion) went on with a pink
> tinge but dried white.  Sounds like a similar idea to your dads.
>
>  Just bog-standard paint for me(mind you was oil based), goes on white
> dries white, ah well.

The problem is that white paint tends not to be particularly dense.
Professionals therefore often add a colour which has a greater density
to help with the coverage. Blue is good, as also is black. Obviously the
quantities have to be small enough not to visibly discolour the white.
I'm not so sure about pink tho!

Chris

Re: Glossing

<l7nmrmFtjh6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32518&group=uk.rec.sheds#32518

From: johnwilliamson@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 15:43:01 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 14:43 UTC

On 10/04/2024 15:14, chrisnd@privacy.net wrote:

> The problem is that white paint tends not to be particularly dense.
> Professionals therefore often add a colour which has a greater density
> to help with the coverage. Blue is good, as also is black. Obviously the
> quantities have to be small enough not to visibly discolour the white.
> I'm not so sure about pink tho!

A common trick when painting, especially with the paler colours, is to
add a slightly different tint to each coat so you can more easily see
bits that have been missed, with only the top coat being the final colour.

Something else I have only ever seen in trade shops is obliterating
emulsion, which has a very high pigment content, so covers all sorts of
'orribleness, only needing two coats to cover even purple paint.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Glossing

<6GehpPAK8uFmFAd5@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32519&group=uk.rec.sheds#32519

From: nicholas@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 20:56:58 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 19:56 UTC

In article <l7nmrmFtjh6U1@mid.individual.net>, John Williamson
<johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> on Wed, 10 Apr 2024 at 15:43:01 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>On 10/04/2024 15:14, chrisnd@privacy.net wrote:
>
>> The problem is that white paint tends not to be particularly dense.
>> Professionals therefore often add a colour which has a greater density
>> to help with the coverage. Blue is good, as also is black. Obviously the
>> quantities have to be small enough not to visibly discolour the white.
>> I'm not so sure about pink tho!
>>
>A common trick when painting, especially with the paler colours, is to
>add a slightly different tint to each coat so you can more easily see
>bits that have been missed, with only the top coat being the final colour.
>
>Something else I have only ever seen in trade shops is obliterating
>emulsion, which has a very high pigment content, so covers all sorts of
>'orribleness, only needing two coats to cover even purple paint.

Innocent question: Why would you want to cover purple paint?
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Glossing

<XnsB150C565E5BCBmpndisorg@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32520&group=uk.rec.sheds#32520

From: markpnelson@sbcglobal.net (Mark P. Nelson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 02:24:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark P. Nelson - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 02:24 UTC

"Nicholas D. Richards" <nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote in news:6GehpPAK8uFmFAd5
@salmiron.com:

> In article <l7nmrmFtjh6U1@mid.individual.net>, John Williamson
> <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> on Wed, 10 Apr 2024 at 15:43:01 awoke
> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
> Innocent question: Why would you want to cover purple paint?

Purple is for royalty and racing drivers.

When I were a student spending my vac-time working construction, we painted every student
flat the boss owned in lovely magnolia.

Re: Glossing

<W86dnRHJBuK4FIr7nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32521&group=uk.rec.sheds#32521

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 07:54:31 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-and-seize@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 06:54 UTC

Sn!pe wrote:

> The conjunction of 'bathroom', 'wee marks' and 'drips'
> very nearly put me off reading the rest of that harticule.

NJMT ...

Re: Glossing

<l7ph3dF7cj4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32522&group=uk.rec.sheds#32522

From: johnwilliamson@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 08:17:01 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 07:17 UTC

On 11/04/2024 03:24, Mark P. Nelson wrote:
> "Nicholas D. Richards" <nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote in news:6GehpPAK8uFmFAd5
> @salmiron.com:
>
>> In article <l7nmrmFtjh6U1@mid.individual.net>, John Williamson
>> <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> on Wed, 10 Apr 2024 at 15:43:01 awoke
>> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>> Innocent question: Why would you want to cover purple paint?
>
> Purple is for royalty and racing drivers.
>
> When I were a student spending my vac-time working construction, we painted every student
> flat the boss owned in lovely magnolia.

With oatmeal coloured carpets.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Glossing

<uv89ko$1jv4o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32523&group=uk.rec.sheds#32523

From: fred@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 10:14:00 +0100
 by: Abandoned Trolley - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 09:14 UTC

On 11/04/2024 08:17, John Williamson wrote:
> On 11/04/2024 03:24, Mark P. Nelson wrote:
>> "Nicholas D. Richards" <nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote in
>> @salmiron.com:
>>
>>> In article <l7nmrmFtjh6U1@mid.individual.net>, John Williamson
>>> <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com>  on Wed, 10 Apr 2024 at 15:43:01 awoke
>>> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>>> Innocent question: Why would you want to cover purple paint?
>>
>> Purple is for royalty and racing drivers.
>>
>> When I were a student spending my vac-time working construction, we
>> painted every student
>> flat the boss owned in lovely magnolia.
>>
> With oatmeal coloured carpets.

and dont forget the wood chip paper for the walls

Re: Glossing

<ID29oNArO7FmFAKE@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32524&group=uk.rec.sheds#32524

From: nicholas@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 10:55:55 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 09:55 UTC

In article <W86dnRHJBuK4FIr7nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>,
Tease'n'Seize <tease-and-seize@invalid.?> on Thu, 11 Apr 2024 at
07:54:31 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>Sn!pe wrote:
>
>> The conjunction of 'bathroom', 'wee marks' and 'drips'
>> very nearly put me off reading the rest of that harticule.
>
>NJMT ...

New Jersey Museum of Transport?
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Glossing

<cD94YrAHT7FmFAoO@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32525&group=uk.rec.sheds#32525

From: nicholas@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 11:00:39 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 10:00 UTC

In article <XnsB150C565E5BCBmpndisorg@135.181.20.170>, Mark P. Nelson
<markpnelson@sbcglobal.net> on Thu, 11 Apr 2024 at 02:24:18 awoke
Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>"Nicholas D. Richards" <nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote in news:6GehpPAK8uFmFAd5
>@salmiron.com:
>
>> In article <l7nmrmFtjh6U1@mid.individual.net>, John Williamson
>> <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> on Wed, 10 Apr 2024 at 15:43:01 awoke
>> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>> Innocent question: Why would you want to cover purple paint?
>
>Purple is for royalty and racing drivers.
>
>When I were a student spending my vac-time working construction, we painted
>every student
>flat the boss owned in lovely magnolia.

I bought a nearly new bed sitter painted that colour. Shudder.

At the time I could not afford to repaint it amongst other problems.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Glossing

<SDa7oyAbb7FmFAoi@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32526&group=uk.rec.sheds#32526

From: nicholas@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 11:09:31 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 10:09 UTC

In article <uv89ko$1jv4o$1@dont-email.me>, Abandoned Trolley <fred@fred-
smith.co.uk> on Thu, 11 Apr 2024 at 10:14:00 awoke Nicholas from his
slumbers and wrote
>On 11/04/2024 08:17, John Williamson wrote:
>> On 11/04/2024 03:24, Mark P. Nelson wrote:
>>> "Nicholas D. Richards" <nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote in
>>> @salmiron.com:

>>> Purple is for royalty and racing drivers.
>>>
>>> When I were a student spending my vac-time working construction, we
>>> painted every student
>>> flat the boss owned in lovely magnolia.
>>>
>> With oatmeal coloured carpets.
>
>and dont forget the wood chip paper for the walls

I little later (see other post <-) bought a purpose built flat that had
walls that showed signs of having been awfully close to a V1 bomb in
1944/45. The building had settled back down more or less solid (every
flat had a line, in exactly the same place, in the ceiling - in all 32
flats) but the walls looked a bit like crazy pathing. Wood chip hides
an awful lot, and it is easy to remove, if it has been put up with wall
paper paste and painted with only emulsion. Unfortunately for me one
wall had been painted with gloss paint.

--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Glossing

<XnsB15196FB6E554Factura3476@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32527&group=uk.rec.sheds#32527

From: myshed@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 13:50:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 13:50 UTC

> In article <XnsB150C565E5BCBmpndisorg@135.181.20.170>, Mark P. Nelson
> <markpnelson@sbcglobal.net> on Thu, 11 Apr 2024 at 02:24:18 awoke
> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>>"Nicholas D. Richards" <nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote in
>>news:6GehpPAK8uFmFAd5 @salmiron.com:
>>
>>> In article <l7nmrmFtjh6U1@mid.individual.net>, John Williamson
>>> <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> on Wed, 10 Apr 2024 at 15:43:01
>>> awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>>> Innocent question: Why would you want to cover purple paint?
>>
>>Purple is for royalty and racing drivers.
>>
>>When I were a student spending my vac-time working construction, we
>>painted every student
>>flat the boss owned in lovely magnolia.
>
> I bought a nearly new bed sitter painted that colour. Shudder.
>
> At the time I could not afford to repaint it amongst other problems.

A long time ago SWMBO and I moved into an attic flat with all the walls
painted a lurid lime green over artex. We weren't planning to stay long so
we didn't repaint but I still can't see that colour without shuddering.

--
Peter
-----

Re: Glossing

<8W6gt+Aa2+FmFAdc@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32528&group=uk.rec.sheds#32528

From: nicholas@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 15:03:06 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 14:03 UTC

In article <SDa7oyAbb7FmFAoi@salmiron.com>, Nicholas D. Richards
<nicholas@salmiron.com> on Thu, 11 Apr 2024 at 11:09:31 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote
>In article <uv89ko$1jv4o$1@dont-email.me>, Abandoned Trolley <fred@fred-
>smith.co.uk> on Thu, 11 Apr 2024 at 10:14:00 awoke Nicholas from his
>slumbers and wrote

>>> With oatmeal coloured carpets.
>>
>>and dont forget the wood chip paper for the walls
>
>I little later (see other post <-) bought a purpose built flat that had
>walls that showed signs of having been awfully close to a V1 bomb in
>1944/45. The building had settled back down more or less solid (every
>flat had a line, in exactly the same place, in the ceiling - in all 32
>flats) but the walls looked a bit like crazy pathing. Wood chip hides
>an awful lot, and it is easy to remove, if it has been put up with wall
>paper paste and painted with only emulsion. Unfortunately for me one
>wall had been painted with gloss paint.

I forgot to say that the gloss paint was black.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Glossing

<N0WRN.857320$p%Mb.217276@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32530&group=uk.rec.sheds#32530

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 19:32:13 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 18:32 UTC

On 11-Apr-24 8:17, John Williamson wrote:
> On 11/04/2024 03:24, Mark P. Nelson wrote:
>> "Nicholas D. Richards" <nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote in
>> @salmiron.com:
>>
>>> In article <l7nmrmFtjh6U1@mid.individual.net>, John Williamson
>>> <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com>  on Wed, 10 Apr 2024 at 15:43:01 awoke
>>> Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>>> Innocent question: Why would you want to cover purple paint?
>>
>> Purple is for royalty and racing drivers.
>>
>> When I were a student spending my vac-time working construction, we
>> painted every student
>> flat the boss owned in lovely magnolia.
>>
> With oatmeal coloured carpets.

Why is it "oatmeal"? And not "Porridge"?
BrE ought to be the default, & not AmE.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Glossing

<gb$3+XBBwDGmFAWl@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32532&group=uk.rec.sheds#32532

From: nicholas@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 20:37:37 +0100
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 19:37 UTC

In article <N0WRN.857320$p%Mb.217276@fx15.iad>, Sam Plusnet
<not@home.com> on Thu, 11 Apr 2024 at 19:32:13 awoke Nicholas from his
slumbers and wrote
>On 11-Apr-24 8:17, John Williamson wrote:
>> On 11/04/2024 03:24, Mark P. Nelson wrote:
>>> "Nicholas D. Richards" <nicholas@salmiron.com> wrote in
>>> @salmiron.com:

>>> Purple is for royalty and racing drivers.
>>>
>>> When I were a student spending my vac-time working construction, we
>>> painted every student
>>> flat the boss owned in lovely magnolia.
>>>
>> With oatmeal coloured carpets.
>>
>Why is it "oatmeal"? And not "Porridge"?
>BrE ought to be the default, & not AmE.

I may be wrong, but I thought that porridge was made from course
outmeal, water/milk and other additions as you fancy.

As far as I know I have been speaking British English for 75 (soon to be
76) years less a little bit.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"