Kettering's Observation: Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Near Miss of the Day 873: Impatient driver overtaking tractor close passes cyclist and narrowly avoids oncoming HGV

SubjectAuthor
* Near Miss of the Day 873: Impatient driver overtaking tractor closeswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Near Miss of the Day 873: Impatient driver overtakingSpike
+* Re: Near Miss of the Day 873: Impatient driver overtaking tractorswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: Near Miss of the Day 873: Impatient driver overtaking tractorJNugent
|+* Re: Near Miss of the Day 873: Impatient driver overtaking tractorswldx...@gmail.com
||`- Re: Near Miss of the Day 873: Impatient driver overtakingSpike
|`* Re: Near Miss of the Day 873: Impatient driver overtaking tractorswldx...@gmail.com
| `- Re: Near Miss of the Day 873: Impatient driver overtakingSpike
`- Re: Near Miss of the Day 873: Impatient driver overtaking tractorswldx...@gmail.com

1
Near Miss of the Day 873: Impatient driver overtaking tractor close passes cyclist and narrowly avoids oncoming HGV

<b7599fb2-0d21-4946-9ff1-8c8163646bc1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32503&group=uk.rec.cycling#32503

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 11:46:24 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Near Miss of the Day 873: Impatient driver overtaking tractor close
passes cyclist and narrowly avoids oncoming HGV
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 26 Aug 2023 18:46 UTC

Today's Near Miss of the Day sounds like the start of a bad joke... a driver, a trucker, a farmer and a cyclist roll through the Welsh countryside...

No punchline, I'm afraid, just a near miss on two fronts — a close pass on a cyclist, and a motorist lucky to avoid a head-on collision with an HGV.

This footage was sent in from Wales, our reader telling us it resulted in the driver accepting a fine, plus penalty points on their licence, before the case was due in court.

It was reported to Operation SNAP after the cyclist recorded the incident on the B4302 in Carmarthenshire last September.

"At the particular section of road the incident happened, it is well sighted," the cyclist said. "When starting the overtake the driver would have clearly seen the HGV approaching. There was space to pull in behind me, but instead they chose to pass closely."

https://road.cc/content/news/near-miss-day-873-303487

Re: Near Miss of the Day 873: Impatient driver overtaking tractor close passes cyclist and narrowly avoids oncoming HGV

<kl0eehFijioU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32504&group=uk.rec.cycling#32504

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Near Miss of the Day 873: Impatient driver overtaking
tractor close passes cyclist and narrowly avoids oncoming HGV
Date: 27 Aug 2023 08:05:37 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 08:05 UTC

Unfortunately, this account doesn’t mention what the passing distance was,
as it must have been determined by some accurate means, on the grounds that
the advice on the matter of such passing mentions a specific distance.

--
Spike

Re: Near Miss of the Day 873: Impatient driver overtaking tractor close passes cyclist and narrowly avoids oncoming HGV

<f1b44cfe-2e18-4a97-824c-577a7deca56bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32505&group=uk.rec.cycling#32505

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 01:16:57 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Near Miss of the Day 873: Impatient driver overtaking tractor
close passes cyclist and narrowly avoids oncoming HGV
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 08:16 UTC

Simon E | 5225 posts | 13 hours ago
4 likes
Rather similar to something I witnessed this week. I was being followed by a large tractor and decided I'd pull in to the side to let it past. Just as I had stopped an estate car pulled out from behind the tractor to overtake.

Although there was no HGV bearing down in the opposite direction there was a vehicle in sight and the driver had obviously not considered that there might be something in front of the tractor. Impatient twat.

Re: Near Miss of the Day 873: Impatient driver overtaking tractor close passes cyclist and narrowly avoids oncoming HGV

<kl11kiFlg9bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32514&group=uk.rec.cycling#32514

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
close passes cyclist and narrowly avoids oncoming HGV
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 14:33:06 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 13:33 UTC

On 27/08/2023 09:16 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> Simon E | 5225 posts | 13 hours ago
> 4 likes
> Rather similar to something I witnessed this week. I was being followed by a large tractor and decided I'd pull in to the side to let it past. Just as I had stopped an estate car pulled out from behind the tractor to overtake.
>
> Although there was no HGV bearing down in the opposite direction there was a vehicle in sight and the driver had obviously not considered that there might be something in front of the tractor. Impatient twat.

What does "a vehicle in sight" mean?

[Assuming you know, of course.]

If I can see an oncoming lorry a mile and a half away along a
single-carriageway stretch of A5, am I barred from overtaking a chav on
a chav-bike (heading in the same direction as I am), a move that will
take a few seconds at most?

Re: Near Miss of the Day 873: Impatient driver overtaking tractor close passes cyclist and narrowly avoids oncoming HGV

<bbf2860f-149b-460a-b1ec-9d6f250bfedfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32516&group=uk.rec.cycling#32516

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 07:50:33 -0700 (PDT)
close passes cyclist and narrowly avoids oncoming HGV
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 14:50 UTC

Road.cc wrote:

This footage was sent in from Wales, our reader telling us it resulted in the driver accepting a fine, plus penalty points on their licence, before the case was due in court.

GOOD RESULT.

Re: Near Miss of the Day 873: Impatient driver overtaking tractor close passes cyclist and narrowly avoids oncoming HGV

<kl193gFmnntU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32521&group=uk.rec.cycling#32521

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
tractor close passes cyclist and narrowly avoids oncoming HGV
Date: 27 Aug 2023 15:40:32 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 15:40 UTC

> Road.cc wrote:
>
> This footage was sent in from Wales, our reader telling us it
> resulted in the driver accepting a fine, plus penalty points on their
> licence, before the case was due in court.
>
> GOOD RESULT.

‘Vehicle doesn’t collide with cyclist’ happens all the time.

--
Spike

Re: Near Miss of the Day 873: Impatient driver overtaking tractor close passes cyclist and narrowly avoids oncoming HGV

<9be2e9a1-0d77-42d1-968d-815e5c6edcfan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32525&group=uk.rec.cycling#32525

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 09:08:19 -0700 (PDT)
close passes cyclist and narrowly avoids oncoming HGV
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 16:08 UTC

Operation SNAP is a response to increasing submissions of video and photographic evidence relating to driving offences that members of the public have witnessed. Until now, these reports have been submitted to the police in all sorts of ways and so a streamlined process has now been developed to deal with them. This will hopefully make it easier for all involved.

https://gosafesnap.wales/

Re: Near Miss of the Day 873: Impatient driver overtaking tractor close passes cyclist and narrowly avoids oncoming HGV

<kl1bodFn576U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32527&group=uk.rec.cycling#32527

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
tractor close passes cyclist and narrowly avoids oncoming HGV
Date: 27 Aug 2023 16:25:49 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 16:25 UTC

> Operation SNAP is a response to increasing submissions of video and
> photographic evidence relating to driving offences that members of the
> public have witnessed. Until now, these reports have been submitted to
> the police in all sorts of ways and so a streamlined process has now been
> developed to deal with them. This will hopefully make it easier for all involved.
>
> https://gosafesnap.wales/

Interestingly, that site doesn’t day it’s limited to motor vehicles, so
pavement cycling and RLJing would be acceptable…

Operation SNAP is a response to increasing submissions of video and
photographic evidence relating to driving offences that members of the
public have witnessed. Until now, these reports have been submitted to the
police in all sorts of ways and so a streamlined process has now been
developed to deal with them. This will hopefully make it easier for all
involved. Please complete the form below and upload your footage to us.

--
Spike

Re: Near Miss of the Day 873: Impatient driver overtaking tractor close passes cyclist and narrowly avoids oncoming HGV

<5a7faa91-80ec-4a59-a51c-35f0c2424347n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32528&group=uk.rec.cycling#32528

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 09:32:37 -0700 (PDT)
close passes cyclist and narrowly avoids oncoming HGV
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 16:32 UTC

Classic case of choosing to ignore the cyclist as a relevant factor in their chance to overtake. Very similar to what went on here:

https://road.cc/content/news/near-miss-day-871-303337

"The officer asked Allan to resubmit the footage to the relevant force and said he had "viewed the footage, along with my colleagues" and "we are of the opinion that this is a particularly bad piece of driving."