The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Signs to keep cyclists off pavements vandalised by turning "No" into a "heart"

SubjectAuthor
* Signs to keep cyclists off pavements vandalised by turning "No" intoswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Signs to keep cyclists off pavements vandalised bySpike
|`* Re: Signs to keep cyclists off pavements vandalised by turning "No"JNugent
| `- Re: Signs to keep cyclists off pavements vandalised bySpike
+- Re: Signs to keep cyclists off pavements vandalised by turning "No"swldx...@gmail.com
`- Re: Signs to keep cyclists off pavements vandalised by turning "No"swldx...@gmail.com

1
Signs to keep cyclists off pavements vandalised by turning "No" into a "heart"

<925bdccf-e391-47de-afe7-a413d3ba0cc5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32560&group=uk.rec.cycling#32560

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 03:17:59 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Signs to keep cyclists off pavements vandalised by turning "No" into
a "heart"
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 10:17 UTC

"No cycling"? Nah, "love cycling". Or, at least that's what the signs in Brighton are saying now after reports of vandalism on the city's seafront.

Now that's a change of pace when it comes to cycle-lane vandalism stories. The signs, on the upper promenade adjacent to Marine Parade in Brighton appearing around every 100 metres, are there to indicate that cyclists shouldn't be on the pavement. But the majority of them, along from Old Steine to Brighton Marina, have been vandalised, with the "No" plastered into a heart symbol, reports The Argus (link is external).

Cycling is banned on the upper promenade pavement and bike riders are encouraged to use the road or walk with their cycle on the pavement, as other signs also suggest. They can also use the cycle lane which is parallel to the pavement down on Madeira Drive.

Incidentally, Brighton and Hove's Labour-dominated council, which was described as being "actively against active travel" on our live blog in June, succeeded in securing a £1.2 million funding for a cycle lane on Marine Parade, next to the pavement, from the Marina to the Palace Pier in May.

The scheme would provide a continuous two-way cycle facility on the southern side of the A259, as well as improvements to pedestrian crossings and new crossings along the route.

It would also include cycle parking, provision of a BTN Bikeshare hub and bus network improvements between the Palace Pier roundabout and Lower Rock Gardens.

The council said the cycle lane was needed in addition to the Madeira Drive lane because it can only be accessed at either end — from the Palace Pier roundabout at its west end or Dukes Mound and the Marina to the east.

Green councillor Steve Davis, who co-chairs the council’s Environment, Transport and Sustainability Committee, had said: "Marine Parade is one of the strategic routes prioritised in the Local Cycling and Walking Infrastructure Plan that councillors approved earlier this year and so being able to deliver on this so quickly will be great for taking that long term vision forward."

There have been no updates on the cycle lane since then. road.cc has contacted the council for an update, but maybe some cheeky vandalism will finally spur action?

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-31-august-2023-303557#live-blog-item-49127

Re: Signs to keep cyclists off pavements vandalised by turning "No" into a "heart"

<klb84nFceboU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32562&group=uk.rec.cycling#32562

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Signs to keep cyclists off pavements vandalised by
turning "No" into a "heart"
Date: 31 Aug 2023 10:25:27 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 10:25 UTC

> "No cycling"? Nah, "love cycling". Or, at least that's what the signs in
> Brighton are saying now after reports of vandalism on the city's seafront.

> https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-31-august-2023-303557#live-blog-item-49127

No surprise here to find the lower-capability end of the cycling fraternity
supporting criminal damage.

--
Spike

Re: Signs to keep cyclists off pavements vandalised by turning "No" into a "heart"

<af067fd2-afbd-4779-929e-a5bb3a37f271n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32565&group=uk.rec.cycling#32565

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 05:16:25 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Signs to keep cyclists off pavements vandalised by turning "No"
into a "heart"
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 12:16 UTC

A section of canal path I cycle along has Canal & River Trust "No cycling" signs up between two locks with gates on the path. Simple gap to the side of the gates to walk/push your bike through. A local resident once collared me while I was walking my bike between the gates:
"You can't cycle here"
"Not trying to be funny, but I'm not cycling - I'm pushing my bike"
"Yeah - but you can't cycle anywhere on the canal path."
"There are no signs saying that"
"There are! Are you cycling to work?"
"Yes - I work just up the road a little"
"Ahh. You'll be fine then"

A little further up the canal path, sure enough, I see a couple of tiny signs on posts in the bushes with a red circle around a bike, with a red line through it. Being a suspicious sort, I contacted Canal & River Trust to ask them about it - "No. Our signs say No Cycling and are branded with Canal & River Trust on them"

Turns out the residents don't like cyclists, so decided to put up their own No Cycling signs....

Edit: the River doesn't own the Trust. no idea why i felt an apostrophe "s" was required.

Re: Signs to keep cyclists off pavements vandalised by turning "No" into a "heart"

<klbpo9Ff3ppU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32576&group=uk.rec.cycling#32576

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
into a "heart"
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 16:26:01 +0100
 by: JNugent - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 15:26 UTC

On 31/08/2023 11:25 am, Spike wrote:

> swldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "No cycling"? Nah, "love cycling". Or, at least that's what the signs in
>> Brighton are saying now after reports of vandalism on the city's seafront.
>
>> https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-31-august-2023-303557#live-blog-item-49127
>
> No surprise here to find the lower-capability end of the cycling fraternity
> supporting criminal damage.

By "lower-capability", you obviously mean "low-IQ" and "lacking in
emotional intelligence", but are too polite to say so.

Re: Signs to keep cyclists off pavements vandalised by turning "No" into a "heart"

<klbr01FfcjiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32578&group=uk.rec.cycling#32578

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
turning "No" into a "heart"
Date: 31 Aug 2023 15:47:13 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 15:47 UTC

JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
> On 31/08/2023 11:25 am, Spike wrote:
>
>> swldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> "No cycling"? Nah, "love cycling". Or, at least that's what the signs in
>>> Brighton are saying now after reports of vandalism on the city's seafront.
>>
>>> https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-31-august-2023-303557#live-blog-item-49127
>>
>> No surprise here to find the lower-capability end of the cycling fraternity
>> supporting criminal damage.
>
> By "lower-capability", you obviously mean "low-IQ" and "lacking in
> emotional intelligence", but are too polite to say so.

Quite so.

--
Spike

Re: Signs to keep cyclists off pavements vandalised by turning "No" into a "heart"

<4a5b8c98-24f2-4069-8c1b-7360f741e4afn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32582&group=uk.rec.cycling#32582

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 09:33:56 -0700 (PDT)
into a "heart"
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 16:33 UTC

Car Delenda Est | 473 posts | 7 hours ago
5 likes
Worth noting that 'no cycling' has been stencil sprayed by vandals in several places where cycling is allowed, including cycle lanes, but good luck finding a local news story on that.