Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 09:53:05 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Police officer in dangerous driving probe after boys killed in horror
e-bike crash
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 16:53 UTC

A police officer is being criminally investigated for dangerous driving after following two teenagers in a van before they both died in an e-bike crash in Cardiff.

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) has confirmed the probe into the South Wales police officer after the deaths in the Ely neighbourhood of the Welsh capital in May.

Kyrees Sullivan, 16, and Harvey Evans, 15, died on the evening of Monday May 22 when they crashed on a Sur-Ron bike minutes after CCTV captured them being followed by a police van.

Tensions between locals and police at the scene led to a riot, during which dozens of officers were injured, property was damaged and cars set alight.

The IOPC said the driver of the police van, an officer with South Wales Police, has been told they are being criminally investigated for dangerous driving after previously being served with a gross misconduct notice.

The watchdog said a decision over potential disciplinary proceedings and any referral to the Crown Prosecution Service would be made at the end of the probe.

IOPC director David Ford said: "Our independent investigation is progressing well and I want to again thank the local community for the support provided to our investigation, including through the sharing of CCTV evidence."

South Wales Police, confirming the IOPC probe, said in a statement: "Our thoughts continue to be with the families and friends of both boys and those affected by this tragedy."

The IOPC said on Thursday (August 31) it has served a total of two gross misconduct notices on two police officers, the driver of the police van and a passenger.

It added such notices advise officers their conduct is subject to investigation and do not necessarily mean any disciplinary proceedings will follow.

IOPC investigators are reviewing hundreds of clips gathered from house-to-house enquiries and leafleting of properties in Ely.

The watchdog has taken statements from locals and reviewed body worn video camera footage from police officers and staff.

It said: "We are in regular contact with the families of Kyrees Sullivan and Harvey Evans, who sadly lost their lives, to keep them updated on the progress of our investigation."

The investigation's focus is on the nature of the police interaction with the two boys before the collision as well as the officers’ decisions and actions.

It is also examining whether what happened constituted a pursuit. South Wales Police continues to co-operate with the investigation, according to the IOPC.

Mr Ford said: "I wish to again extend my sympathies to the family and friends of Kyrees and Harvey, and to everyone who has felt the impactful loss of two young lives in Ely.

[...]

"The response from the community in helping our investigators has been very positive and I am extremely grateful for this assistance."

He added that the watchdog has placed witness appeal boards in the area around the crash and spoken to community leaders.

Mr Ford said: "We would urge anyone who believes they have useful information to come forward to us... I would like to emphasise again that we remain committed to establishing the facts of what happened."

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1807930/Police-officer-investigation-Ely-crash