"Here comes Mr. Bill's dog." -- Narrator, Saturday Night Live

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spree sentenced

SubjectAuthor
* Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spree sentencedswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spreeJNugent
+* Re: Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spree sentencedswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spreeSpike
|`* Re: Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spreeJNugent
| `* Re: Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spreeSpike
|  `- Re: Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spreeJNugent
+* Re: Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spree sentencedswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spreeJNugent
|`* Re: Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spree sentencedswldx...@gmail.com
| +- The Marxist-Leninists know what’sSpike
| `* Re: Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spree sentencedswldx...@gmail.com
|  +- Re: Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spreeSpike
|  `* Re: Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spree sentencedswldx...@gmail.com
|   `- Re: Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spreeSpike
+* Re: Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spree sentencedswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spreeJNugent
+* Re: Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spree sentencedswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spreeSpike
`- Re: Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spree sentencedswldx...@gmail.com

1
Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spree sentenced

<4b4a51a9-ab35-464b-be45-83ef057356e0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32587&group=uk.rec.cycling#32587

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 03:08:39 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spree sentenced
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 10:08 UTC

A 29-year-old man has been handed a 12-month community order after pleading guilty to 42 counts of attempted criminal damage, as well as counts of criminal damage, assault, threatening behaviour, possessing an offensive weapon in a public place and theft from a shop, relating to other incidents.

Cambridgeshire Live (link is external) reports Ife Bellow used a pair of scissors to slash 42 bike tyres in Cambridge at 2am on October 18 last year. His "reckless" spree took place in Drummer Street and Guildhall Street, close to where he was soon arrested by police.

CCTV operators saw him puncture the bikes' tyres before throwing scissors, which were later recovered, into a bin.

"To this day we still have no explanation for Bellow's reckless actions. He caused great inconvenience and expense to his victims and has shown himself to be a violent criminal in other areas too. I am glad we were able to bring him before the courts," PC Jack Burgess said.

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-1-september-2023-303593#live-blog-item-49171

Re: Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spree sentenced

<kle6dgFqubgU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32592&group=uk.rec.cycling#32592

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spree
sentenced
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 14:14:24 +0100
 by: JNugent - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 13:14 UTC

On 01/09/2023 11:08 am, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> A 29-year-old man has been handed a 12-month community order after pleading guilty to 42 counts of attempted criminal damage, as well as counts of criminal damage, assault, threatening behaviour, possessing an offensive weapon in a public place and theft from a shop, relating to other incidents.
>
> Cambridgeshire Live (link is external) reports Ife Bellow used a pair of scissors to slash 42 bike tyres in Cambridge at 2am on October 18 last year. His "reckless" spree took place in Drummer Street and Guildhall Street, close to where he was soon arrested by police.
>
> CCTV operators saw him puncture the bikes' tyres before throwing scissors, which were later recovered, into a bin.
>
> "To this day we still have no explanation for Bellow's reckless actions. He caused great inconvenience and expense to his victims and has shown himself to be a violent criminal in other areas too. I am glad we were able to bring him before the courts," PC Jack Burgess said.
>
> https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-1-september-2023-303593#live-blog-item-49171

Did he run a chav-bike tyre repair service, by any chance?

Re: Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spree sentenced

<26080ef1-aacb-4422-983f-3903cfab55b7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32595&group=uk.rec.cycling#32595

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 08:16:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 15:16 UTC

2 days ago

" Glad to bring him before the Courts " Gets a 12 month Community Sentence !! How about COSTS for the tyres !!

Part of the sentence should be learning how to replace bike tyres, then replacing 84 of them.

Re: Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spree sentenced

<kleh7eFskklU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32600&group=uk.rec.cycling#32600

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
sentenced
Date: 1 Sep 2023 16:18:54 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 16:18 UTC

> 2 days ago
>
> " Glad to bring him before the Courts " Gets a 12 month Community
> Sentence !! How about COSTS for the tyres !!
>
> Part of the sentence should be learning how to replace bike tyres, then
> replacing 84 of them.

I’m aware of cyclists damaging cars because the latter broke ‘rules’ made
up by the cyclist, and scarpering from the scenes of their crimes. They
don’t pony up for the damage they cause, so can’t complain when others do
the same.

--
Spike

Re: Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spree sentenced

<4773e5b4-c729-4215-bcf4-65532d278e66n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32601&group=uk.rec.cycling#32601

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 09:37:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 16:37 UTC

The original and best:

Tyre Extinguishers (link is external), the activist group that targets SUVs due to the damage the vehicles cause to the environment as well as the risk they pose to vulnerable road users including cyclists struck again in London last night, letting the air out of the tyres of 120 vehicles and leaving behind leaflets explaining to the owners why they had taken the action.

The direct action group, one of whose members we interviewed in the latest edition of the road.cc Podcast, undertook its latest direct action intervention in several affluent areas of the capital – namely Hampstead, Primrose Hill, Paddington and Kensington.

The group is calling for “bans on SUVs in urban areas, pollution levies to tax SUVs out of existence, and massive investment in free, comprehensive public transport. But until politicians make this a reality, Tyre Extinguishers’ action will continue,” they add.

According to Department for Transport figures, some 74 per cent of SUVs are registered to owners with addresses in cities, and affluent boroughs in the capital account for six in 10 sales of such vehicles.

A spokesperson for Tyre Extinguishers said: “We are facing the greatest challenge humanity has ever faced. The climate crisis is an existential emergency.

“To safeguard a habitable world, we need to move off of fossil fuels as fast as possible. As the Just Stop Oil campaign has exposed, the first step is to stop all new fossil fuel licenses. This is a basic, common sense policy for meaningful climate action.

“This action was taken because removing SUVs from urban areas is a necessary part of reducing unnecessary fossil fuel demand, supporting the energy transition, and securing a habitable world.

“Three quarters of these 'off-road' vehicles are purchased by people living in towns or cities. We cannot allow SUVs to continue the incineration of our planet. Owning an SUV is dangerous. It can no longer be accepted..

“Just Stop Oil, Just Stop SUVs,” they added.

Besides London, the movement – which similar to Critical Mass has no formal organisational structure and has supporters worldwide – has previously targeted SUVs in UK cities including Brighton & Hove and Edinburgh, and further afield in places including Zurich in Switzerland and Colorado in the US, and has also received requests for its leaflets to be translated into languages including French and Italian.

https://road.cc/content/news/tyre-extinguishers-strike-again-targeting-suvs-london-292175

Re: Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spree sentenced

<klfd1hF2brkU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32605&group=uk.rec.cycling#32605

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
sentenced
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 01:13:37 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 00:13 UTC

> 2 days ago
>
> " Glad to bring him before the Courts " Gets a 12 month Community Sentence !! How about COSTS for the tyres !!
>
> Part of the sentence should be learning how to replace bike tyres, then replacing 84 of them.

Did you tell that to your learned brother judge, M'Lud?

The odds are that he hasn't got any money anyway.

And why 84? The headline alleges damage to only 42.]

Re: Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spree sentenced

<klfd5kF2brkU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32606&group=uk.rec.cycling#32606

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
sentenced
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 01:15:48 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 00:15 UTC

> The original and best:
>
> Tyre Extinguishers (link is external), the activist group that targets SUVs due to the damage the vehicles cause to the environment as well as the risk they pose to vulnerable road users including cyclists struck again in London last night, letting the air out of the tyres of 120 vehicles and leaving behind leaflets explaining to the owners why they had taken the action.
>
> The direct action group, one of whose members we interviewed in the latest edition of the road.cc Podcast, undertook its latest direct action intervention in several affluent areas of the capital – namely Hampstead, Primrose Hill, Paddington and Kensington.
>
> The group is calling for “bans on SUVs in urban areas, pollution levies to tax SUVs out of existence, and massive investment in free, comprehensive public transport. But until politicians make this a reality, Tyre Extinguishers’ action will continue,” they add.
>
> According to Department for Transport figures, some 74 per cent of SUVs are registered to owners with addresses in cities, and affluent boroughs in the capital account for six in 10 sales of such vehicles.
>
> A spokesperson for Tyre Extinguishers said: “We are facing the greatest challenge humanity has ever faced. The climate crisis is an existential emergency.
>
> “To safeguard a habitable world, we need to move off of fossil fuels as fast as possible. As the Just Stop Oil campaign has exposed, the first step is to stop all new fossil fuel licenses. This is a basic, common sense policy for meaningful climate action.
>
> “This action was taken because removing SUVs from urban areas is a necessary part of reducing unnecessary fossil fuel demand, supporting the energy transition, and securing a habitable world.
>
> “Three quarters of these 'off-road' vehicles are purchased by people living in towns or cities. We cannot allow SUVs to continue the incineration of our planet. Owning an SUV is dangerous. It can no longer be accepted.
>
> “Just Stop Oil, Just Stop SUVs,” they added.
>
> Besides London, the movement – which similar to Critical Mass has no formal organisational structure and has supporters worldwide – has previously targeted SUVs in UK cities including Brighton & Hove and Edinburgh, and further afield in places including Zurich in Switzerland and Colorado in the US, and has also received requests for its leaflets to be translated into languages including French and Italian.
>
> https://road.cc/content/news/tyre-extinguishers-strike-again-targeting-suvs-london-292175

You've never been to Colorado, have you?

No, didn't think you had.

How about Switzerland?

Ever heard of how "mild" the winters are there?

Re: Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spree sentenced

<c9a4fb84-855e-4d24-9574-daa91e96b7bcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32609&group=uk.rec.cycling#32609

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 00:17:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 07:17 UTC

Tyre Extinguishers, the direct action group calling for SUVs to be banned from cities, have struck again, targeting 30 vehicles in London’s upscale Cheyne Walk area in the district of the capital that gave 4x4s their ‘Chelsea Tractor’ nickname.

Members of the group, whom we spoke to last month for an episode of the road.cc Podcast, use dried lentils to deflate tyres of the vehicles to draw attention to their campaign.

They cite research which has found that the collective global emissions produced by SUVs would see the vehicles outranked by only five countries around the world in terms of the pollution they produce.

The group has also highlighted that within the UK, more Range Rovers are registered in the Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea than in any other local authority area, accounting for one in 10 cars there., and thatn across the country as a whole, three in four SUVs are registered to addresses in towns and cities.

Tyre Extinguishers spokesperson Marion Walker said: “These people live in the dead centre of London with access to copious amounts of public transport. There is no need to own a massive polluting SUV here.”

The group, which has no centralised structure and is active around the world, encourages people to get involved with its campaign by undertaking their own direct actions and leaving a leaflet that can be downloaded from their website (link is external)to explain to owners of the vehicles why their tyres have been deflated and highlight the effect of SUVs on the planet.

It adds that SUVs are specifically targeted because:

• SUVs are a climate disaster

• SUVs cause air pollution

• SUVs are dangerous

• SUVs are unnecessary.

https://road.cc/content/news/tyre-extinguishers-target-suvs-home-chelsea-tractor-292965

Re: Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spree sentenced

<klg9l0F6nvvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32614&group=uk.rec.cycling#32614

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
sentenced
Date: 2 Sep 2023 08:21:52 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 08:21 UTC

JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
> On 01/09/2023 04:16 pm, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> 2 days ago
>>
>> " Glad to bring him before the Courts " Gets a 12 month Community
>> Sentence !! How about COSTS for the tyres !!
>>
>> Part of the sentence should be learning how to replace bike tyres, then
>> replacing 84 of them.
>
> Did you tell that to your learned brother judge, M'Lud?
>
> The odds are that he hasn't got any money anyway.
>
> And why 84? The headline alleges damage to only 42.]

Indeed. From the original report:

“Cambridgeshire Live (link is external) reports Ife Bellow used a pair of
scissors to slash 42 bike tyres in Cambridge…”.

I expect this is just another case of Mason over-egging the cake, or just
perhaps showing off his ability to multiply a two-digit number by 2.

--
Spike

The Marxist-Leninists know what’s good for you

<klga7sF6qknU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32615&group=uk.rec.cycling#32615

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: The Marxist-Leninists know what’s
good for you
Date: 2 Sep 2023 08:31:56 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 08:31 UTC

> Tyre Extinguishers, the direct action group calling for SUVs to be banned
> from cities, have struck again, targeting 30 vehicles in London’s upscale
> Cheyne Walk area in the district of the capital that gave 4x4s their
> ‘Chelsea Tractor’ nickname.

> Tyre Extinguishers spokesperson Marion Walker said: “These people live in
> the dead centre of London with access to copious amounts of public
> transport. There is no need to own a massive polluting SUV here.”

> https://road.cc/content/news/tyre-extinguishers-target-suvs-home-chelsea-tractor-292965

The Marxist-Leninists behind these groups know exactly what’s good for you
and are determined to force you to have it.

Unsurprising that road.cc is in bed with them?

--
Spike

Re: Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spree sentenced

<152e4c39-e6fe-4ec7-b020-55254104915cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32617&group=uk.rec.cycling#32617

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 02:26:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 09:26 UTC

An anti-SUV group known as the Tyre Extinguishers have taken credit for the sabotage of more than 60 4x4 vehicles at a Land Rover dealership in Exeter..

Claiming responsibility for Sunday night's damage, the group posted grainy night-vision footage on X (formerly known as Twitter) showing activists sneaking up to the cars and deflating their tyres.

It suggested the attack was carried out in retaliation to an incident in July which saw a Land Rover smash through the fence of a prep school in Wimbledon, south-west London, killing two eight-year-old girls and injuring 15 other people.

Tyre Extinguishers said Monday night's wreckage was intended as a "peaceful and non-violent demonstration to draw the attention to the presence of grossly inappropriate private vehicles in our towns and cities".

However, their agenda goes beyond preventing accidents involving large SUVs, with the group also rallying against their contribution to climate change..

Activists have damaged vehicles well beyond the UK, with the group now believed to be operating in 18 countries.

The Tyre Extinguishers describe themselves as a "leaderless, autonomous movement of groups that act independently".

Their modus operandi is fairly straightforward: under the cover of darkness, their activists deflate tyres of parked SUVs and leave a note for the owners to explain what happened.

With the heading "Attention – your gas guzzler kills" the note tells how 4X4s are a "disaster for our climate" and how they are far more likely to kill people during collisions. They add: "You'll be angry, but don't take it personally."

The group, is believed to have started in the UK, first hitting the streets from March 2022 and gradually expanding their network of countries.

The Tyre Extinguishers' main goal is to "make it impossible to own an SUV in the world's urban areas", in the name of "climate, health, and public safety".

Following their recent mission at Jaguar Exeter in Devon, on Sunday night, the group made reference to the recent crash at The Study Prep School, which resulted in the deaths of Nuria Sajjad and Selena Lau.

On their X profile, they said: "SUV's are 8 times more likely to kill children in crashes than smaller cars... This act of retaliation is intended as a peaceful and non-violent demonstration to draw attention to the presence of grossly inappropriate private vehicles in our towns and cities.

"TX firmly believes that their action is a necessary escalation to try and stop these vehicles from wrecking further lives and continuing to push the worsening climate crisis of the cliff edge.
Read more: Landmark fusion breakthrough achieved by scientists for a second time

Citing an International Energy Agency report from December 2021, the group says on its website: "The increasing pace of SUV buying is cancelling out all the carbon savings from people switching to electric cars. If SUV drivers were a country, it would be the sixth-largest emitter in the world."

It adds that at a local level, heavier air pollution produced by SUVs puts people at risk of illness, while pedestrians and cyclists are at more danger of injury, with studies showing drivers of these vehicles are more likely to take risks on the road.
How have they been criticised?

Other than people who take issue with criminal damage, some have criticised the group for deflating the tyres of electric and hybrid vehicles, which they see as counterproductive.

But as Tyre Extinguishers say on their website: "Hybrids and electric cars are fair game. We cannot electrify our way out of the climate crisis – there are not enough rare earth metals to replace everyone’s car and the mining of these metals causes suffering. Plus, the danger to other road users still stands."

Others have said that the damage caused often results in more CO2 emitting vehicles being driven on the road in order to handle the situation.

For example, 28-year-old fitness instructor Carly Bateman, from Didsbury, Manchester, was left unable to get to work when her Skoda Yeti was deflated and ended up getting an Uber while her father drove over to pump her tyre.

She told Sky News: "Worst-case scenario someone could have a really bad health condition or be on their way to meet someone who is dying… and because they've deflated their tyres they can't get there.

"At the end of the day, they've not really done much good there because I've had to involve two vehicles instead of one."
What is the Tyre Extinguishers' method?

On their website, the group encourages people to target "posh/middle class" areas of towns and cities in order to find SUVs to sabotage.

It tells activists to unscrew the cap on the tyre valve and to drop a small bean, such as a lentil, inside the valve cap.

They are then instructed to put the cap back on and tighten it until they hear air hissing out, as the lentil pushes down on a pin inside.

"Even if it’s only hissing out a little bit, that’s enough – it will deflate slowly. The whole process should take about 10 seconds," says the group, who refer to their activists as "bean bandits".

The group also invites activists to print out a template note from their site and to inform the local press of their actions using secure email services.

It's hard to put a number on the Tyre Extinguishers' membership given their decentralised nature, but they are now thought to be operating in 18 countries.

They have claimed credit for deflating tyres in several cities in the US – where SUVs are particularly popular – including New York, Boston, Chicago and San Francisco.

Canada, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, the Netherlands and Portugal are also among the countries to be targeted by the group.

The Tyre Extinguishers say they want to make it impossible to own an SUV in an urban area. (@T_Extinguishers/X)

[...]

Here Yahoo News explains the Tyre Extinguisher's goals, methods and what we know about them so far.

[...]

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spree sentenced

<klgi5eF82onU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32618&group=uk.rec.cycling#32618

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
sentenced
Date: 2 Sep 2023 10:47:10 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 10:47 UTC

Anyone with the faintest knowledge of the history of Marxism-Leninism will
recognise the same type of claptrap and justification in the propaganda
piece below.

Tyre Sabotagers, Just Stop Everything, Insulate Britain and their
fellow-travellers don’t need a central organisation; the Party’s ‘little
red book’ (or whatever their web site is called) ensures all the faithful
know the Party line and what to do based on that.

That just *know*, because their Little Red Book tells them, that they are
‘right’ in what they do to force others to do as they believe.

For those ignorant of these things:

‘Little Red Book’ is a reference to the indoctrination instrument of
Chairman Mao’s China of the 1960s

Marxism-Leninism was recognised to have failed as a political concept as
early as 1917, when the tenet that the workers in different countries had
more in common with each other than mere nationalism and so wouldn’t
support wars, had failed to materialise, the workers instead supporting
their countries in war rather than each other’s groups. A political
conference to discuss this issue in 1923 essentially ended the worker idea
and struck out in a new direction that we now know as ‘political
correctness’.

It’s fascinating to see that today’s adherents of Marxism-Leninism are just
as motivated and committed as their predecessor, and just as blind.

Now read on…

<25fd8c4c-2320-4379-9bdf-0f0052303ce0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32619&group=uk.rec.cycling#32619

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 03:56:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 10:56 UTC

Guerrilla climate activists Tyre Extinguishers have claimed their “largest ever night of action against SUVs”, with 900 of the vehicles targeted around the world.

“Last night (the evening of Monday 28 November and early morning of Tuesday 29 November), citizens in eight countries deflated tyres on nearly 900 polluting SUVs,” the activist group said in a statement.

“This is the biggest coordinated global action against high-carbon vehicles in history, with many more to come.”

The latest communique from the Tyre Extinguishers suggests its campaign of clandestine climate action against the urban owners of 4x4s is still going strong, nearly nine months after the first reports of actions in the UK.

They have called for a ban on SUVs in urban areas. Until then, they have said: “We want to make it impossible to own a huge polluting 4x4 in the world’s urban areas.”

Overnight, groups took action in Amsterdam and Enschede in the Netherlands, Paris and Lyon in France, Berlin, Bonn, Essen, Hanover and Saarbrücken in Germany, Bristol, Leeds, London and Dundee in the UK, Malmö in Sweden, Innsbruck in Austria, Zurich and Winterthur in Switzerland, and New York in the US.

In Leeds, London and Zurich, activists reported that more than 100 cars were targeted.

Tom Haworth, of Yorkshire ambulance service, said on Twitter the group had targeted his vehicle in Leeds. Alongside a pictures of a pump attached to a car tyre and of a Tyre Extinguishers leaflet, he said: “Congratulations. You’ve successfully managed to deflate the tyres of an emergency vehicle!” It was not clear whether his was a marked emergency vehicle.

After the previous claimed biggest night of action, in early September, the campaign said it had had reports of more than 600 vehicles “disarmed” in nine countries.

The campaign’s coordinators claim supporters of the movement have deflated the tyres on more than 10,000 vehicles in cities around the world. The group has said it is now aware of about 100 autonomous groups around the world sabotaging SUV tyres.

“There are other groups taking similar action that the Tyre Extinguishers are not in direct contact with, and not all actions are reported,” the Tyre Extinguishers said.

Set up in March, the Tyre Extinguishers have criticised SUVs as “unnecessary ‘luxury emissions’, flaunted by the wealthy, that are a climate disaster, cause air pollution and make our roads more dangerous”.

The decentralised campaign provides online instructions for supporters who want to set up their own autonomous sabotage groups. “Target posh/middle-class areas”, it suggests, before explaining how jamming a lentil or other small pulse into the tyre valve of a car, then replacing its cap, can leave it bleeding air all night long.

Their site also provides print-at-home information leaflets for saboteurs to leave on vehicles to explain why they have been targeted.

Marion Walker, a Tyre Extinguishers spokesperson, said: “We want to show that anyone, everywhere, can take climate action to end the dominance of massive cars in the world’s cities. All they need is a leaflet and a lentil. Our movement will continue to grow – once the idea is out there, it can’t be stopped.”

Re: Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spree sentenced

<klgm1pF8lgoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32621&group=uk.rec.cycling#32621

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
sentenced
Date: 2 Sep 2023 11:53:29 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 11:53 UTC

> Guerrilla climate activists Tyre Extinguishers have claimed their
> “largest ever night of action against SUVs”, with 900 of the vehicles
> targeted around the world.

> “Last night (the evening of Monday 28 November and early morning of
> Tuesday 29 November), citizens in eight countries deflated tyres on
> nearly 900 polluting SUVs,” the activist group said in a statement.

> “This is the biggest coordinated global action against high-carbon
> vehicles in history, with many more to come.”

And yet in your OP on the topic it was claimed that “The Tyre Extinguishers
describe themselves as a "leaderless, autonomous movement of groups that
act independently".”

Well, that was a lie, wasn’t it. ‘An autonomous movement of groups that act
independently’ took part in ‘the biggest coordinated global action’ is an
oxymoron. Typical of of the doublethink of Marxist-Leninists, and easy to
spot.

--
Spike

Re: Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spree sentenced

<8581cacd-a1f1-4160-9f82-dce809c1edaen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32623&group=uk.rec.cycling#32623

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 06:15:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 13:15 UTC

Climate change activists have deflated the tyres of at least 15 SUVs in an affluent Melbourne neighborhood.

The Tyre Extinguishers group left messages on the windscreens of the vehicles in Toorak, claiming the 'gas-guzzlers' contribute to environmental harm while encouraging owners to consider using public transport as an alternative.

The group confirmed on Friday that 'concerned citizens' had taken action to 'disarm' vehicles in Melbourne 'in the first action in a new wave of climate protest in Australia'.

'The Tyre Extinguishers is a new movement springing up across the globe, encouraging people to take action against urban SUVs,' the statement said.

'The Tyre Extinguishers are a leaderless group where citizens take action in their local area by using a website to learn how to deflate the tyres and to print off a leaflet to leave at the SUV to inform the owner of what has happened, for their safety.'

Victoria Police are now investigating the incident.

At least 10 four-wheel drive and sports utility vehicles in the vicinity of Tintern Avenue were tampered with,' a police spokeswoman said.

'Notes were also left on the vehicles describing the environmental impact of these types of vehicles. The investigation is ongoing.'

One impacted owner bought his new vehicle just three days ago.

'I'm angry, disappointed, annoyed … I tried to get to work nice and early and then this happened,' the man told 3AW.

'When I first read the note I laughed and said 'you've got to be kidding me'.

'They're taking more time and energy and pollution in printing these, and wasting people's time and energy.'

The note left on windscreens read: 'ATTENTION — your gas guzzler kills'.

'We have deflated one or more of your tyres,' the note read.

'You'll be angry, but just take a minute to think about why your car is a big problem.

'Car companies try to convince you that we need massive cars, but we don't. Driving around urban areas in your massive vehicle has huge consequences for others.

'SUVs and 4x4s are also a disaster for our climate. SUVs are the second-largest cause of the global rise in carbon dioxide emissions over the past decade — more than the entire aviation industry.

'Even if you don't care about the impacts on people far away from you, perhaps think about the impacts around your neighbourhood. SUVs cause far more air pollution than smaller cars.

'SUVs are more likely to kill people than normal sedans in collisions. Psychological studies show SUV drivers are more likely to take risks and put others at risk. SUVs just aren't necessary, especially when most of us live in overcrowded cities.

'The world is facing a climate emergency. According to scientists and the United Nations, millions of people are already dying from the consequences of global heating — droughts, fires, hurricanes, floods, forced migration and starvation.

'While the impacts on you so far have probably been minimal, everyday millions of people are directly affected. Emergency action is needed to reduce emissions immediately.

'That's why we've temporarily stopped you driving your SUV. Your tyre isn't damaged and you will have no difficulty getting around without your gas guzzler. Maybe try walking, cycling or using public transport.'

'If SUV drivers were a country, they would be the sixth largest polluting country in the world,' it said.

'The Tyre Extinguishers want to see bans on SUVs in urban areas, pollution levies to tax SUVs out of existence, and massive investment in free, comprehensive public transport.

'But until politicians make this a reality, Tyre Extinguishers action will continue. We have no leader — anyone can take part, wherever you are.'

Police urge witnesses or anyone with CCTV or other footage to contact Crime Stoppers.

It comes weeks after group members damaging the tyres of at least 60 SUVs at a car dealership in the UK.

They justified their actions as a response to the tragic deaths of two eight-year-old schoolgirls. These girls lost their lives when a woman, while driving her Land Rover, crashed through a fence and into their school in southwest London on July 6.

'This act of retaliation is intended as a peaceful and nonviolent demonstration to draw attention to the presence of grossly-inappropriate private vehicles in our towns and cities,' the activists said.

'Tyre Extinguishers firmly believes that their action is a necessary escalation to try and stop these vehicles from wrecking further lives and continuing to push the worsening climate crisis off the cliff edge.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12468713/Climate-extremist-group-Tyre-Extinguishers-targets-SUVs-Melbourne-suburb-Toorak.html

Re: Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spree sentenced - the Chavs' Retaliation

<klh8o3FbhphU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32625&group=uk.rec.cycling#32625

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
sentenced - the Chavs' Retaliation
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 18:12:35 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 17:12 UTC

> [...]
>
> Police urge witnesses or anyone with CCTV or other footage to contact Crime Stoppers.
>
> It comes weeks after group members damaging the tyres of at least 60 SUVs at a car dealership in the UK.
>
> They justified their actions as a response to the tragic deaths of two eight-year-old schoolgirls. These girls lost their lives when a woman, while driving her Land Rover, crashed through a fence and into their school in southwest London on July 6.
>
> 'This act of retaliation is intended as a peaceful and nonviolent demonstration to draw attention to the presence of grossly-inappropriate private vehicles in our towns and cities,' the activists said.
>
> 'Tyre Extinguishers firmly believes that their action is a necessary escalation to try and stop these vehicles from wrecking further lives and continuing to push the worsening climate crisis off the cliff edge.'

Plain Criminal Damage.

Typical chav behaviour - especially the worst sort of chavs - those on
chavibikes.

Re: Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spree sentenced

<klh98tFblb7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32627&group=uk.rec.cycling#32627

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
sentenced
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 18:21:33 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 17:21 UTC

On 02/09/2023 09:21 am, Spike wrote:
> JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
>> On 01/09/2023 04:16 pm, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> 2 days ago
>>>
>>> " Glad to bring him before the Courts " Gets a 12 month Community
>>> Sentence !! How about COSTS for the tyres !!
>>>
>>> Part of the sentence should be learning how to replace bike tyres, then
>>> replacing 84 of them.
>>
>> Did you tell that to your learned brother judge, M'Lud?
>>
>> The odds are that he hasn't got any money anyway.
>>
>> And why 84? The headline alleges damage to only 42.]
>
> Indeed. From the original report:
>
> “Cambridgeshire Live (link is external) reports Ife Bellow used a pair of
> scissors to slash 42 bike tyres in Cambridge…”.
>
> I expect this is just another case of Mason over-egging the cake, or just
> perhaps showing off his ability to multiply a two-digit number by 2.

Both.

Re: Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spree sentenced

<23124ea9-3356-4e3b-8a86-68d435c18264n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32630&group=uk.rec.cycling#32630

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 10:39:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 17:39 UTC

More than 80 SUVs have had their tyres deflated as part of an environmental protest overnight. The vehicles were targeted in St Mawes and Falmouth by a group calling themselves The Tyre Extinguishers.

Some of the vehicles vandalised were parked in St Mawes' main car park. Each car had a note left on it titled 'attention - your gas guzzler kills'.

The poster reads: "We have deflated one or more of your tyres. You'll be angry, but don't take it personally. It's not you. It's your car. We did this because driving around urban areas in your massive vehicle has consequences for others." It goes on to state that urgent action is needed to reduce emissions and that SUVs are likely to cause more pollution than smaller cars..

The note added: "Even if you don't care about the impacts on people far away from you, there's also consequences for your neighbours. SUVs cause more air pollution than smaller cars. SUVs are more likely to kill people than normal cars in collisions. Psychological studies show SUV drivers are more likely to take risks on the road. SUVs are unnecessary and pure vanity."

The Tyre Extinguishers have now released a full statement claiming responsibility. It read: "On the night of Wednesday the 23rd of August, over 80 SUVs were targeted, their tyres deflated, in Falmouth and St Mawes area, an action aligned with The Tyre

"SUVs are a danger for the climate, safety and our health, all so that a privileged few can flaunt their wealth in their shiny status symbols.

"Because our Government has failed to protect us from this worsening threat, we have opted to protect ourselves. This is an act of retaliation, and is intended as a peaceful and non-violent demonstration to draw attention to the presence of grossly inappropriate private vehicles in our town. Our intent is not to incite harm but rather catalyse change and ensure a safer environment for all.

"SUVs are a climate disaster: If SUV drivers were a country, they would be the sixth largest emitter on the planet, International Energy Agency researchers were shocked in 2019 to find that SUVs are the second-largest cause of the global rise in carbon dioxide emissions over the past decade - more than shipping, aviation or heavy industry.

"We believe this is a proportionate and necessary escalation to try and stop these vehicles from worsening the climate. We will not stand by and watch whilst greed dictates how we react to this crisis. Our aim is to make it impossible to own an SUV in the climate we now live in." The Tyre Extinguishers reiterated that the protest was peaceful and only involved the letting down of tyres.

Devon and Cornwall Police has confirmed some of the incidents have been reported. A force spokesman said: "Police have received multiple reports of car tyres having been deflated in residential streets in Falmouth overnight. Enquiries continue."

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/climate-activists-deflate-tyres-more-8701680

Re: Man who slashed 42 bicycle tyres during "reckless" spree sentenced

<klhd8dFc8leU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32635&group=uk.rec.cycling#32635

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
sentenced
Date: 2 Sep 2023 18:29:33 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 18:29 UTC

“…Our aim is to make it impossible to own an SUV in the climate we now live
in…”

I don’t suppose another aim might be to learn a little English?

“…This is an act of retaliation, and is intended as a peaceful and
non-violent demonstration…”

I take it that committing criminal damage is, by some act of
Marxist-Leninist doublethink, non-violent?

etc, etc…

<e0544d36-da0b-4a28-9fb7-94455f4918c3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32636&group=uk.rec.cycling#32636

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 12:02:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 19:02 UTC

More than 60 SUVs at a Jaguar dealership in Exeter had their tyres destroyed by activists yesterday in an ‘act of retaliation’ following the deaths of two girls who were killed in a crash at a school.

The anti-SUV group – which calls itself Tyre Extinguishers – said an independent cell drilled holes in the vehicles at the Vertu Jaguar site in Matford Way.

Tyre Extinguishers said in a statement: ‘Tyre Extinguishers destroyed all the tyres on at least 60 vehicles at Jaguar Exeter, Matford Way.

‘SUVs are eight times more likely to kill children in crashes than smaller cars.’

A video of the attack, which caused thousands of pounds worth of damage, was posted online by the campaigners and can be seen below:

Nuria Sajjad and Selena Lau, who were both eight, died after a Land Rover ploughed through a fence and into The Study Prep School in Wimbledon, south-west London, on July 6.

Several other people were injured.

The driver – a 46-year-old woman from Wimbledon – was arrested at the scene on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and bailed pending further inquiries.

Describing the Wimbledon crash as a ‘heart-wrenching killing’, the group added: ‘This act of retaliation is intended as a peaceful and non-violent demonstration to draw attention to the presence of grossly inappropriate private vehicles in our towns and cities.

‘Tyre Extinguishers firmly believes that their action is a necessary escalation to try and stop these vehicles from wrecking further lives and continuing to push the worsening climate crisis off the cliff edge.

‘The group hopes that this action will serve as a wake-up call for all stakeholders to unite in their efforts to prevent future tragedies and make our roads safer for everyone.’

A Vertu Motors spokesman said: ‘Trespass and damage to private property are not acceptable. The matter is now in the hands of the police.’

A Devon and Cornwall Police spokesman said the force was ‘aware of criminal damage having occurred’ and inquiries were continuing.

Tyre Extinguishers claims electric and hybrid SUVs are also ‘fair game’ as there are ‘not enough rare earth metals’ to replace all cars with them, and ‘the danger to other road users still stands’.

Its supporters began deflating SUV tyres across the UK in March 2022, and the movement has since spread overseas.

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/activists-destroy-tyres-on-dozens-of-suvs-at-dealership-as-act-of-retaliation-for-girls-deaths/288009