Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2023 11:02:28 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: 'Car rampage' in Coventry kills two: Pedestrian and cyclist are dead
after being hit 'by the same car in separate incidents' before driver
ploughed into a house
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 3 Sep 2023 18:02 UTC

A car ploughed into three people, killing two and leaving one seriously injured before crashing into a house in Coventry today.

A 44-year-old pedestrian and a cyclist are dead after being hit by car in two separate collisions.

Another pedestrian has been treated for serious injuries which are not believed to be life-threatening.

The pedestrians were hit in Gosford Street near the city centre while the crash with the cyclist happened a 10 minute drive away in Woodway Lane at around 8am.

West Midlands Police said the car then smashed into a house on Beckbury Road, Walsgrave.

The force used its drones team and dog unit as officers hunted for a man.

A 33-year-old man was arrested an hour later at 9am on Beckbury Road and is currently in custody being quizzed by officers.

Superintendent Ronan Tyrer, from Coventry Local Policing Area, said: 'We have now informed the families of all those involved in today's tragic incidents and our thoughts remain firmly with them at this truly devastating time.

'We are still in the very early stages of our investigations and we have several scenes across Coventry which also means that some roads will be closed for a considerable time.

'We are also searching CCTV and making enquiries and would appeal to anyone who has any information that could help our investigations to contact us at their earliest opportunity.'

Gosford Street, Woodway Lane in Walsgrave and the surrounding roads have all been sealed off by police while offices investigate what happened, reported CoventryLive.

In an earlier statement, a spokesperson for West Midlands Police said: 'It's believed that the car has been involved in several collisions before colliding into a house on Beckbury Road, in Walsgrave.

'Two pedestrians, in separate incidents, were struck on Gosford Street followed by a collision with a cyclist on Woodway Lane.

Officers, including the drones team and dog unit, were called to search for the suspect after a man made off from the scene.

'A man was subsequently arrested on Beckbury Road at around 9am. He is currently helping police with their enquiries.'

'We've created an online portal where people can upload any CCTV, video footage or to provide information that could help our investigations.

'You can upload your information directly by clicking on the following link or by searching our website, West Midlands Police.

'You can also call us on 101 quoting log number 854 3/9/23.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12475731/Driver-knocks-three-people-including-two-pedestrians-cyclist-series-separate-crashes-hes-arrested-police.html