NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Man sectioned after pedestrian and cyclist killed in horror car crash as video emerges

SubjectAuthor
* Man sectioned after pedestrian and cyclist killed in horror car crashswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Man sectioned after pedestrian and cyclist killed in horror carJNugent
+* Re: Man sectioned after pedestrian and cyclist killed in horror carswldx...@gmail.com
|`* Re: Man sectioned after pedestrian and cyclist killed inSpike
| `- Re: Man sectioned after pedestrian and cyclist killed in horror carJNugent
`* Re: Man sectioned after pedestrian and cyclist killed in horror carswldx...@gmail.com
 `- Re: Man sectioned after pedestrian and cyclist killed in horror carswldx...@gmail.com

1
Man sectioned after pedestrian and cyclist killed in horror car crash as video emerges

<1060aea8-e138-48df-baa3-82d682101e56n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32656&group=uk.rec.cycling#32656

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 08:47:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Man sectioned after pedestrian and cyclist killed in horror car crash
as video emerges
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 15:47 UTC

A man has been sectioned under the Mental Health Act after two people were killed and a third seriously injured when a car ploughed into them, before smashing into a house.

Officers scrambled to the scene in Coventry at around 8am on Sunday. A 44-year-old pedestrian was ploughed into first before a 47-year-old cyclist, who is believed to have been coming back from a night shift at a nearby hospital, was hit a short time later.

Both later died from their injuries, despite the best efforts of critical care staff. A second pedestrian who was crashed into in the city centre was treated for injuries, which were not life threatening. Police confirmed that the incident is not being treated as terror-related.

Footage obtained by the Mirror captures smoke pouring from the car's bonnet after it smashed into a house, and the suspect reportedly fled the scene. Officers from the force's drone team and dog unit launched a hunt and eventually located a 33-year-old man at around 9am.

In an updated statement today, West Midlands Police said: "A man arrested on suspicion of murder after two people were killed when they were hit by a car in Coventry has been sectioned under the Mental Health Act. We detained a 33-year-old man in Beckbury Road following a series of collisions in the city around 8am yesterday morning (3 September)."

The families of "all those involved" have been informed, the force earlier said. Tributes were paid by stunned members of the local community on social media in the wake of the incident.

One wrote: "Rest in peace to the poor souls who lost their lives", while another person said: "So very sad - two lives lost, RIP". A social media user wrote: "Sounds horrific. Thoughts are with all the family and friends of those affected and all the officers dealing with this incident. So sad, thinking of those families involved in this terrible ordeal."

A fourth wrote: "So sad, thinking of those families involved in this terrible ordeal". Many local people spoke of their shock at the deaths, and some described hearing an emergency services helicopter in the area on Sunday morning.

One local publication described the deaths as a "day of tragedy" for the city. Several roads in the area were closed on Sunday afternoon as police investigated the the collisions, and locals were warned that they could stay shut for a 'considerable time'.

Superintendent Ronan Tyrer, from Coventry Local Policing Area, earlier said: "We have now informed the families of all those involved in today's tragic incidents and our thoughts remain firmly with them at this truly devastating time.

"We are still in the very early stages of our investigations and we have several scenes across Coventry which also means that some roads will be closed for a considerable time. We are also searching CCTV and making enquiries and would appeal to anyone who has any information that could help our investigations to contact us at their earliest opportunity."

A West Midlands Police spokesperson added: O"ur thoughts are with the families and friends of those who have tragically lost their lives, and we'll be doing all we can to support them during this deeply distressing time. We're not looking for anyone else in connection with what happened, and from the information we have this is not being treated as terror-related."

Anyone who can assist the force's investigation is urged to contact them via Live Chat on their website, or by calling 101, and quoting log 854 of 3/9/23. An online portal has also been created where people can upload CCTV, video footage or provide further information.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-man-sectioned-after-pedestrian-30857577

Re: Man sectioned after pedestrian and cyclist killed in horror car crash as video emerges

<klme3rF68t5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32662&group=uk.rec.cycling#32662

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Man sectioned after pedestrian and cyclist killed in horror car
crash as video emerges
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 17:14:51 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 16:14 UTC

> [...]
>
> A West Midlands Police spokesperson added: O"ur thoughts are with the families and friends of those who have tragically lost their lives, and we'll be doing all we can to support them during this deeply distressing time. We're not looking for anyone else in connection with what happened, and from the information we have this is not being treated as terror-related."
>
> Anyone who can assist the force's investigation is urged to contact them via Live Chat on their website, or by calling 101, and quoting log 854 of 3/9/23. An online portal has also been created where people can upload CCTV, video footage or provide further information.

Is this the same case that you have cut and pasted from twice, from two
different (and deadly rival!) sources?

In one of them, the suspect has been arrested on suspicion of murder. In
the other, he/she has been sectioned.

From what I understand, those two courses of action are incompatible.
The whole point about being sectioned [Section 2 of the 19843 Mental
Health Act*] is that the person being compulsorily detained is suspected
of - inter alia - not being responsible for their actions, such actions
representing a threat to the person or to third parties.

So which is it?

[* Obviously, the PP will be one here most familiar with the provisions
of the 1983 Act.]

Re: Man sectioned after pedestrian and cyclist killed in horror car crash as video emerges

<2962da69-e9a4-401a-9dd9-fc7449a98bf1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32666&group=uk.rec.cycling#32666

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 10:03:08 -0700 (PDT)
crash as video emerges
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 17:03 UTC

QUOTE: West Midlands Police said: "A man arrested on suspicion of murder after two people were killed when they were hit by a car in Coventry has been sectioned under the Mental Health Act. ENDS

Sounds like a stunt Mr Arsehole would dream up like his "low flying Sun" wriggles.

Re: Man sectioned after pedestrian and cyclist killed in horror car crash as video emerges

<klmnlgF7q6bU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32673&group=uk.rec.cycling#32673

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Man sectioned after pedestrian and cyclist killed in
horror car crash as video emerges
Date: 4 Sep 2023 18:57:52 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 18:57 UTC

> QUOTE: West Midlands Police said: "A man arrested on suspicion of murder
> after two people were killed when they were hit by a car in Coventry has
> been sectioned under the Mental Health Act. ENDS
>
> Sounds like a stunt Mr Arsehole would dream up like his "low flying Sun" wriggles.

You’ve got to admit that being round the bend is a pretty good ‘wriggle’.

--
Spike

Re: Man sectioned after pedestrian and cyclist killed in horror car crash as video emerges

<e0fa7f19-b823-4181-a204-d3a4eed618e0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32678&group=uk.rec.cycling#32678

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 12:05:08 -0700 (PDT)
crash as video emerges
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 19:05 UTC

I see the mental health team were on the scene very quickly!

https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article30854277.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/0_Gosford-Street_03.jpg

Re: Man sectioned after pedestrian and cyclist killed in horror car crash as video emerges

<kln1f1F9atnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32682&group=uk.rec.cycling#32682

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
crash as video emerges
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 22:45:05 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 21:45 UTC

On 04/09/2023 07:57 pm, Spike wrote:
> swldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
>> QUOTE: West Midlands Police said: "A man arrested on suspicion of murder
>> after two people were killed when they were hit by a car in Coventry has
>> been sectioned under the Mental Health Act. ENDS
>>
>> Sounds like a stunt Mr Arsehole would dream up like his "low flying Sun" wriggles.
>
> You’ve got to admit that being round the bend is a pretty good ‘wriggle’.

He DOES have to admit it.

It's how HE got off with it.

Re: Man sectioned after pedestrian and cyclist killed in horror car crash as video emerges

<9be7f88b-60e4-449d-94f5-14bc59bdd002n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32683&group=uk.rec.cycling#32683

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 00:54:03 -0700 (PDT)
crash as video emerges
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 07:54 UTC

He was driving a black car - Mr Arsehole could say that the dead people could not have seen it as it was not hi-vis.

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/IgnCkz9ZE.a2888ScjtgWg--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTk2MDtoPTEyNjY7Y2Y9d2VicA--/https://media.zenfs.com/en/birminghamworld_195/8c1c83a4d83cba60d1fad1620992dcce