Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 08:18:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Tribute ride to 'sorely missed' Swindon cyclist who took own life
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 15:18 UTC

IT'S MY TEN YEAR ANNIVERSARY ON SATURDAY.
===========================================A charity ride has taken place to raise money and awareness for mental health support.

Adam Worrall, a keen cyclist and member of the Swindon Wheelers Cycling Club, took his own life on February 23, aged 52.

Adam had been with the club for many years and had taken part in cycle trips around the UK and abroad.

"We all loved riding with Adam, we knew if Adam was on the ride there’d be a lot of laughs," said Gareth Pinchin, a fellow member of the club.

"He's sorely missed, a founding modern Wheeler," added James Lilley in the club's Facebook group.

For Adam, cycling was more than just a way to share a laugh with friends.

“Cycling was a way for him and many others to relieve stress in their life. It meant a lot to him,” club president, Howard King, said before the event.

“This bank holiday weekend is always our charity weekend where we raise money for a chosen charity.

“But this year our charity is MIND, due to the fact that we lost a much-loved member of our club to mental health struggles,” he added..

The charity bike ride took place on Monday 26 August 2023, starting at Coate Water in Swindon and heading to Stonehenge in a circular, off-road loop.

Cyclists left from the Sun Inn at 8.30am and head through Coate, Chiseldon and then up the old railway path to Savernake Forest.

After visiting Stonehenge, the riders then continued on gravel tracks to Salisbury Plain, before looping back to Swindon.

The total ride was 90 miles, with 5,000 feet of climbing.

“One in four people will experience a mental health problem in any given year, so it’s a really important cause,” said Mr King..

Wiltshire Mind is a mental health charity which provides a safe and friendly place where anyone can find the support and respect they need and deserve..

They can offer counselling for adults and young people, as well as support groups across Wiltshire for those experiencing emotional distress or mental health difficulties.

As a group, Swindon Wheelers has been cycling the world and raising money since 1923, and currently has just over 250 members who have formed a close-knit community.

The club offers group rides multiple times a week for a range of cyclists like Adam and his friends, all with different levels of experience and top speeds.

They hope to raise £1,000 for MIND in Adam's memory, and encourage the public and fellow cyclists to donate to their JustGiving page.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/23741611.tribute-ride-sorely-missed-swindon-cyclist-took-life/