From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Where are the missing news reports?
Date: 6 Sep 2023 12:38:19 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 12:38 UTC

Official statistics, collected over some years, tells us that 1 in 6 of
cyclist road deaths are the result of single-vehicle accidents.

Assuming a figure of 90 cyclists deaths in this year, then one is looking
at some 15 such deaths from SVAs.

However, at this point in time, some two-thirds of the way through the
current year, one might expect some 10 cyclists to have been killed in
SVAs.

Yet despite many posts mentioning cyclists being killed by drunk, drugged,
inattentive, sun-blinded SUV drivers, no cyclist SVA deaths seem to have
appeared in the reporting.

Are these dead cyclists being painted out of history, due to the optics and
the apparent unseemly need to avoid mentioning anything that might put
people off cycling?

Such an action does those cycling martyrs no justice at all.

--
Spike