QOTD: "I may not be able to walk, but I drive from the sitting position."

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Cyclist hit by car in Glasgow's Duke Street as occupants make off

SubjectAuthor
* Cyclist hit by car in Glasgow's Duke Street as occupants make offswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Cyclist hit by car in Glasgow's Duke Street as occupants make offJNugent
`* Re: Cyclist hit by car in Glasgow's Duke Street as occupants make offswldx...@gmail.com
 `* Re: Cyclist hit by car in Glasgow's Duke Street as occupants make offswldx...@gmail.com
  `- Re: Cyclist hit by car in Glasgow's Duke Street as occupants make offswldx...@gmail.com

1
Cyclist hit by car in Glasgow's Duke Street as occupants make off

<9ffe480b-17ca-4eb7-ab6d-c9b2c83c6046n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32715&group=uk.rec.cycling#32715

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 08:31:16 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Cyclist hit by car in Glasgow's Duke Street as occupants make off
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 15:31 UTC

A car has hit a cyclist in the city's East End - and the occupants of the vehicle appear to have made of.

The male cyclist was rushed to the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital this morning for treatment following the collision on Duke Street, shortly before 10am.

Police said the occupants of the car left the scene on foot. They didn't say how many people were in the car or give descriptions.

A huge police presence remains at the scene and the road is closed between Millerston Street and Bellgrove Street.

Pictures of the cordon show a vehicle stopped stationery near a cycle. The car seems to be facing the opposite way of the carriageway as if it had stopped mid-three-point turn.

Plain-clothed officers, possibly CID, were pictured investigating inside the cordon.

Motorists are advised to avoid the area and follow police directions.

Buses are also being diverted by First Glasgow. The number 8, 41, 46, 60, 60A and 90 services will be diverted via Millerston, Gallowgate and Bellgrove in both directions.

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “Around 9.50am on Monday, September 4, 2023, police were called to the Duke Street area of Glasgow, following a report of a crash involving a car and a cyclist.

"The male cyclist has been taken to Queen Elizabeth University Hospital for treatment.

"The occupants of the car left the scene on foot and emergency services remain in the area.

"Enquiries into the full circumstances are ongoing.”

Meanwhile, it is the second time a person has been hit by a car on this stretch of road in recent months.

In a separate incident on June 1, we reported on Cameron Eaglesham who died after he was hit by a lorry on Duke Street, near to the junction with Bellfield Street.

The 44-year-old was rushed to the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital, where he was pronounced dead a short time later.

The 45-year-old female driver of the Mercedes lorry was uninjured.

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/scottish-news/23765367.cyclist-hit-car-glasgows-duke-street-occupants-make-off/

Re: Cyclist hit by car in Glasgow's Duke Street as occupants make off

<kls2a0F3jqqU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32722&group=uk.rec.cycling#32722

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 20:30:08 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 19:30 UTC

> A car has hit a cyclist in the city's East End - and the occupants of the vehicle appear to have made of.

Made of... what?

> The male cyclist was rushed to the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital this morning for treatment following the collision on Duke Street, shortly before 10am.
> Police said the occupants of the car left the scene on foot. They didn't say how many people were in the car or give descriptions.

Surely the car was er... left behind?

> A huge police presence remains at the scene and the road is closed between Millerston Street and Bellgrove Street.
> Pictures of the cordon show a vehicle stopped stationery near a cycle.

Ah...

> The car seems to be facing the opposite way of the carriageway as if it had stopped mid-three-point turn.
> Plain-clothed officers, possibly CID, were pictured investigating inside the cordon.
> Motorists are advised to avoid the area and follow police directions.
> Buses are also being diverted by First Glasgow. The number 8, 41, 46, 60, 60A and 90 services will be diverted via Millerston, Gallowgate and Bellgrove in both directions.
> A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “Around 9.50am on Monday, September 4, 2023, police were called to the Duke Street area of Glasgow, following a report of a crash involving a car and a cyclist.
> "The male cyclist has been taken to Queen Elizabeth University Hospital for treatment.
> "The occupants of the car left the scene on foot and emergency services remain in the area.
> "Enquiries into the full circumstances are ongoing.”
> Meanwhile, it is the second time a person has been hit by a car on this stretch of road in recent months.
> In a separate incident on June 1, we reported on Cameron Eaglesham who died after he was hit by a lorry on Duke Street, near to the junction with Bellfield Street.
> The 44-year-old was rushed to the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital, where he was pronounced dead a short time later.
> The 45-year-old female driver of the Mercedes lorry was uninjured.
>
> https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/scottish-news/23765367.cyclist-hit-car-glasgows-duke-street-occupants-make-off/

Re: Cyclist hit by car in Glasgow's Duke Street as occupants make off

<c28cb2ec-a76b-4ff8-8e73-7144eb34349dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32725&group=uk.rec.cycling#32725

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 12:40:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 19:40 UTC

QUOTE: Pictures of the cordon show a vehicle stopped stationery near a cycle. ENDS

Car occupants lobbing paper out of their windows yet again?
Fine will be in the post again. :-)

Re: Cyclist hit by car in Glasgow's Duke Street as occupants make off

<d114e623-0f9d-447b-a305-44d089b7e0cdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32726&group=uk.rec.cycling#32726

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 12:46:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 19:46 UTC

On Wednesday, September 6, 2023 at 8:40:46 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail..com wrote:
> QUOTE: Pictures of the cordon show a vehicle stopped stationery near a cycle. ENDS
>
> Car occupants lobbing paper out of their windows yet again?
> Fine will be in the post again. :-)

A driver caught on CCTV throwing a bag of fast food rubbish out of his car window has been fined.

Ellis Gibbs, of The Avenue, Anlaby, East Yorkshire, was filmed dropping a large McDonald’s bag from his car in the car park of East Riding Leisure Centre at Haltemprice before driving off on 29 September last year.

He was prosecuted after he failed to respond to the council’s letters.

Gibbs admitted littering when he appeared before Beverley Magistrates’ Court and was fined £106.

He was also ordered to pay costs of £100 and a victim surcharge of £43.

Carl Skelton, acting director of streetscene services at East Riding of Yorkshire Council, said: "Dumped waste like fast food bags is a problem everywhere. People can easily use a bin nearby or take their rubbish home. There’s no excuse."

Re: Cyclist hit by car in Glasgow's Duke Street as occupants make off

<kls7mpF4er3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32728&group=uk.rec.cycling#32728

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 6 Sep 2023 21:02:17 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 21:02 UTC

JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
> On 06/09/2023 04:31 pm, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> A car has hit a cyclist in the city's East End - and the occupants of
>> the vehicle appear to have made of.

> Made of... what?

>> The male cyclist was rushed to the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital
>> this morning for treatment following the collision on Duke Street, shortly before 10am.

>> Police said the occupants of the car left the scene on foot. They didn't
>> say how many people were in the car or give descriptions.

> Surely the car was er... left behind?

>> A huge police presence remains at the scene and the road is closed
>> between Millerston Street and Bellgrove Street.

>> Pictures of the cordon show a vehicle stopped stationery near a cycle.

Did the car get booked, or was it just a paper exercise?

[…]

--
Spike

Re: Cyclist hit by car in Glasgow's Duke Street as occupants make off

<38916027-5b2a-41a3-b2f9-0fba13b712b6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32730&group=uk.rec.cycling#32730

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 14:29:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 21:29 UTC

A man has been ordered to pay £250 after being caught on CCTV dumping a McDonalds takeaway bag from his car.

Ellis Anthony Gibbs, 19, was filmed dropping the rubbish in a leisure centre car park near Hull in September 2022 before driving off.

He was issued a court summons after not responding to attempts to interview him, East Riding Council said.

Appearing before magistrates on 16 August, Gibbs, of The Avenue, Anlaby, pleaded guilty to littering.

He was fined £107 and was ordered to pay costs of £100 and a victim surcharge of £43 following the incident in Haltemprice.

Carl Skelton, from East Riding Council, said: "Dumped waste like fast food bags is a problem everywhere.

"People can easily use a bin nearby or take their rubbish home. There's no excuse.

"We'll take action against all littering cases when we can."

People littering can face a £150 fixed penalty or a maximum £2,500 fine if the case is taken to court.