You too can wear a nose mitten.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / UK to return to EU’s flagship Horizon science research programme

SubjectAuthor
* UK to return to EU’s flagship Horizon science reseswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: UK to return to EU’s flagship Horizon scienJNugent
+* Re: UK to return to EU’s flagship Horizon scienceswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: UK to return to EU’sSpike
|`* Re: UK to return to EU’s flagship Horizon scienceswldx...@gmail.com
| `* Re: UK to return to EU’sSpike
|  `- Re: UK to return to EU’s flagship Horizon scienJNugent
+- Re: UK to return to EU’sSpike
`* Re: UK to return to EU’s flagship Horizon scienceswldx...@gmail.com
 `- Re: UK to return to EU’s flagship Horizon scienceswldx...@gmail.com

1
UK to return to EU’s flagship Horizon science research programme

<e30dc763-c7b8-4089-b73f-94f31dbda340n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32741&group=uk.rec.cycling#32741

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 06:03:18 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: UK_to_return_to_EU’s_flagship_Horizon_science_rese
arch_programme
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 13:03 UTC

TAIL BETWEEN LEGS TIME. :-)

Britain is to rejoin the EU’s flagship £85bn science research programme, Horizon Europe, in a long-anticipated deal welcomed by scientists.

Britain’s membership of Horizon, which funds research projects tackling crucial issues from the climate crisis to terminal diseases and improving food and energy security, was agreed as part of the post-Brexit trade deal in 2020. But it was never ratified in a tit-for-tat row between the EU and the UK over Northern Ireland Brexit arrangements.

A senior EU source said the return to the programme, three years into a seven-year funding cycle, was discussed by the EU’s College of Commissioners this week. The Guardian understands a deal has been reached and is expected to be announced on Thursday.

Prof Carsten Welsch, a physicist at the University of Liverpool who lost leadership of a £2.6m research project on a novel plasma generator that could be used in cancer treatment when the UK was excluded from Horizon, said: “I am absolutely thrilled about this news as we have been in a limbo situation for far too long. Horizon Europe is stronger with the UK and UK research is stronger in Horizon.”

Mike Galsworthy, the chair of European Movement UK, attacked the government for disadvantaging science by delaying associate membership of Horizon for so long. “The UK used not just to participate in Horizon, but to lead. Any agreed deal will be carefully combed over by UK scientists, who are desperate to rejoin the Horizon programme. UK science has been losing opportunities and funds hand-over-fist for every week that this inexplicable paralysis has lasted.”

It is understood the standoff over how much the UK should pay into the programme every year has ended with an agreement discussed at the highest level at the European Commission this week. The announcement could be as soon as 7am on BBC Radio 4’s Today programme on Thursday.

The UK prime minister, Rishi Sunak, has spent the last five months holding out for the “underperformance clause”, which was agreed in 2020, to be readjusted to guarantee a greater rebate if Britain failed to achieve previous levels of grants from the programme.

The UK is expected to pay in about £2bn a year, with effective rebates if the grants from the programme fail to match the country’s contributions.
Sunak and Von der Leyen
Rishi Sunak and Ursula von der Leyen unveil the Windsor framework in March.

Diplomats in the EU cautioned that any deal would have to be agreed by member states so official membership may drag on for some time yet. The source said EU members would want to be assured that the new financial deal was within the terms of the trade deal with no special favours to the UK and the new calculations were “reasonable” for both sides.

The path for the UK’s return to Horizon was cleared as far back as March after London and Brussels resolved their dispute over the Northern Ireland protocol, with the European Commission president, Ursula von der Leyen, promising a “swift” decision. But stop-start talks over the following months were marred by demands by the UK for extra discounts to take account of the absent years, much to the fury of the science community, many of whom opposed Sunak’s plan B to go it alone.

Earlier on Wednesday Sunak gave his strongest hint yet that a deal had been sealed, saying he had given the go-ahead for his officials to finalise an agreement.

Questioned about the continued delays to rejoining the programme, he told a Labour MP during prime minister’s questions that the UK had been “extensively involved” in negotiating a return to Horizon. “I hope to be able to conclude those successfully and when we do I hope you’ll be the first to stand up and congratulate the government,” he said.

Before Brexit, the UK was one of the top beneficiaries of the Horizon programme and scientists are still eligible to apply for funding, which is underwritten by the UK government. However, the uncertainty over the UK’s membership and its inability to lead pan-EU research while outside the programme has dealt a blow.

Data from the European Commission shows a huge drop in awards to British science programmes since 2019. In that year, €959m (£829m) went to the UK in 1,364 grants, compared with €22m in 192 grants in 2023 to date.

According to sources in the science community, the UK wanted the discount and to exit the parallel Euratom programme, which the EU rejected.

The 2020 trade and cooperation deal contained a “correction mechanism” to allow for adjustments if the UK put more into the programme a year than it received in grants. Sunak was concerned that the loss of three years meant the UK had fallen so far behind in the programme that the mechanism needed to be adjusted to the UK’s greater benefit.

Before Brexit the UK received about £2bn in research funding, about £500m more than it put in. Under the 2020 deal it agreed to put in about £2bn a year.

The government declined to comment.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2023/sep/06/uk-return-to-eu-horizon-scheme-expected-to-be-confirmed-within-days?fbclid=IwAR1J2GWNOZVYqticE0gVaSP0_6EOpU2-KwcL9mIaDhpkDuaOmcFIv4pvC88

Re: UK to return to EU’s flagship Horizon science research programme

<klu23pFdd2rU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32743&group=uk.rec.cycling#32743

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_UK_to_return_to_EU’s_flagship_Horizon_scien
ce_research_programme
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 14:39:05 +0100
 by: JNugent - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 13:39 UTC

> [...]
>
> Data from the European Commission shows a huge drop in awards to British science programmes since 2019. In that year, €959m (£829m) went to the UK in 1,364 grants, compared with €22m in 192 grants in 2023 to date.
>
> According to sources in the science community, the UK wanted the discount and to exit the parallel Euratom programme, which the EU rejected.
>
> The 2020 trade and cooperation deal contained a “correction mechanism” to allow for adjustments if the UK put more into the programme a year than it received in grants. Sunak was concerned that the loss of three years meant the UK had fallen so far behind in the programme that the mechanism needed to be adjusted to the UK’s greater benefit.
>
> Before Brexit the UK received about £2bn in research funding, about £500m more than it put in. Under the 2020 deal it agreed to put in about £2bn a year.

What has ANY of that to do with you chavs on bikes?

Do they run an advanced scientific janitorial course, complete with
modules on mop and broom maintenance, or something?

Re: UK to return to EU’s flagship Horizon science research programme

<udclt5$30t8h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32744&group=uk.rec.cycling#32744

From: guddiesx@btinternet.invalid (colwyn)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
ce_research_programme
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 15:15:01 +0100
 by: colwyn - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 14:15 UTC

On 07/09/2023 14:39, JNugent wrote:
> [...]
>> to allow for adjustments if the UK put more into the programme a year
>> than it received in grants. Sunak was concerned that the loss of three
>> years meant the UK had fallen so far behind in the programme that the
>> mechanism needed to be adjusted to the UK’s greater benefit.
>>
>> Before Brexit the UK received about £2bn in research funding, about
>> £500m more than it put in. Under the 2020 deal it agreed to put in
>> about £2bn a year.
>>
>> The government declined to comment.
>>
>> https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2023/sep/06/uk-return-to-eu-horizon-scheme-expected-to-be-confirmed-within-days?fbclid=IwAR1J2GWNOZVYqticE0gVaSP0_6EOpU2-KwcL9mIaDhpkDuaOmcFIv4pvC88
>
> What has ANY of that to do with you chavs on bikes?
>
> Do they run an advanced scientific janitorial course, complete with
> modules on mop and broom maintenance, or something?

There is more to life than an unhealthy obsession with push bikes or
their riders.

Re: UK to return to EU’s flagship Horizon science research programme

<klu7g2Fe7oeU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32745&group=uk.rec.cycling#32745

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
ce_research_programme
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 16:10:58 +0100
 by: JNugent - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 15:10 UTC

On 07/09/2023 03:15 pm, colwyn wrote:
> [...]
>>> programme a year than it received in grants. Sunak was concerned that
>>> the loss of three years meant the UK had fallen so far behind in the
>>> programme that the mechanism needed to be adjusted to the UK’s
>>> greater benefit.
>>>
>>> Before Brexit the UK received about £2bn in research funding, about
>>> £500m more than it put in. Under the 2020 deal it agreed to put in
>>> about £2bn a year.
>>>
>>> The government declined to comment.
>>>
>>> https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2023/sep/06/uk-return-to-eu-horizon-scheme-expected-to-be-confirmed-within-days?fbclid=IwAR1J2GWNOZVYqticE0gVaSP0_6EOpU2-KwcL9mIaDhpkDuaOmcFIv4pvC88
>
>> What has ANY of that to do with you chavs on bikes?
>>
>> Do they run an advanced scientific janitorial course, complete with
>> modules on mop and broom maintenance, or something?
>
>  There is more to life than an unhealthy obsession with push bikes or

I would agree with that.

But it seems that the OP does not. In a newsgroup devoted to
recreational chav-cycling, he posts the above as though it has something
to do with a bike-related topic.

Re: UK to return to EU’s flagship Horizon science research programme

<aba26acc-e9e3-4f88-9abf-29c110cc1093n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32746&group=uk.rec.cycling#32746

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 08:23:37 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_UK_to_return_to_EU’s_flagship_Horizon_science_
research_programme
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 15:23 UTC

QUOTE: Before Brexit the UK received about £2bn in research funding, about £500m more than it put in. Under the 2020 deal it agreed to put in about £2bn a year.

The government declined to comment. ENDS
============YOU BET THEY DIDN'T - DON'T WANT TOO UPSET THE RACIST GAMMONS, EH?

Re: UK to return to EU’s flagship Horizon science rese arch programme

<klublbFev2dU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32751&group=uk.rec.cycling#32751

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: UK to return to EU’s
flagship Horizon science rese arch programme
Date: 7 Sep 2023 16:22:03 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 16:22 UTC

Hint: the driving force is all about money…like ‘climate change’.
Researchers will prostitute themselves for research grants.

Cui bono, and all that.

--
Spike

Re: UK to return to EU’s flagship Horizon science research programme

<klubm0Fev3lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32755&group=uk.rec.cycling#32755

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
flagship Horizon science research programme
Date: 7 Sep 2023 16:22:24 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 16:22 UTC

> QUOTE: Before Brexit the UK received about £2bn in research funding,
> about £500m more than it put in. Under the 2020 deal it agreed to put in about £2bn a year.
>
> The government declined to comment. ENDS
> =============
> YOU BET THEY DIDN'T - DON'T WANT TOO UPSET THE RACIST GAMMONS, EH?

GET YOUR GAMMON SWIVELS HERE!

<https://www.gammontechstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=GTP%2D1501%2E&CartID=0>

--
Spike

Re: UK to return to EU’s flagship Horizon science research programme

<e667c3e5-fd61-4f3f-a6b4-b8960e47ef8dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32760&group=uk.rec.cycling#32760

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 09:42:25 -0700 (PDT)
research_programme
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 16:42 UTC

QUOTE: /Before Brexit the UK received about £2bn in research funding, about £500m more than it put in. / ENDS

DON'T THE RACIST GAMMONS INSIST THAT THE UK WAS A NET CONTRIBUTOR?
THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW A CAR BOOT SALE WORKS.

Re: UK to return to EU’s flagship Horizon science research programme

<kluk6cFg8j4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32765&group=uk.rec.cycling#32765

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
flagship Horizon science research programme
Date: 7 Sep 2023 18:47:40 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 18:47 UTC

> QUOTE: /Before Brexit the UK received about £2bn in research funding,
> about £500m more than it put in. / ENDS
>
> DON'T THE RACIST GAMMONS INSIST THAT THE UK WAS A NET CONTRIBUTOR?
> THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW A CAR BOOT SALE WORKS.

Could someone kindly explain the logic in those last two sentences?

--
Spike

Re: UK to return to EU’s flagship Horizon science research programme

<b735a820-e975-4f58-838f-9bd1bb8f96d8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32768&group=uk.rec.cycling#32768

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 12:06:38 -0700 (PDT)
research_programme
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 19:06 UTC

We used to be members of the EU and we paid £10bn net per year for access to the huge SM, membership of the CU and membership of Horizon, security services, European space programme and all our people had free movement to live work and travel in 27 other countries. Today, @RishiSunak announces that we will rejoin Horizon for £2bn a year - wow Rishi, you have the cheek to call that a good deal?

UK REDUCED TO FIGHTING FOR SCRAPS.

Re: UK to return to EU’s flagship Horizon science research programme

<klums6FglnqU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32770&group=uk.rec.cycling#32770

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
ce_research_programme
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 20:33:25 +0100
 by: JNugent - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 19:33 UTC

On 07/09/2023 07:47 pm, Spike wrote:

> swldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

>> QUOTE: /Before Brexit the UK received about £2bn in research funding,
>> about £500m more than it put in. / ENDS
>> DON'T THE RACIST GAMMONS INSIST THAT THE UK WAS A NET CONTRIBUTOR?
>> THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW A CAR BOOT SALE WORKS.

> Could someone kindly explain the logic in those last two sentences?

It's May Sun.

He doesn't have to make sense.

And he doesn't.

Re: UK to return to EU’s flagship Horizon science research programme

<3dafaff8-cf73-4858-8118-b3723fe5cd94n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32772&group=uk.rec.cycling#32772

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 13:02:43 -0700 (PDT)
research_programme
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 20:02 UTC

On Thursday, September 7, 2023 at 8:06:40 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> We used to be members of the EU and we paid £10bn net per year for access to the huge SM, membership of the CU and membership of Horizon, security services, European space programme and all our people had free movement to live work and travel in 27 other countries. Today, @RishiSunak announces that we will rejoin Horizon for £2bn a year - wow Rishi, you have the cheek to call that a good deal?
>
> UK REDUCED TO FIGHTING FOR SCRAPS.

Far right Reform's, Dicky Tice, is almost in tears at the news that the UK is rejoining the EU's Horizon scheme - what a joy to behold. Total meltdown on GBeebies. 😆😆

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F5csBH_W8AE4zQC?format=jpg&name=medium