From: pwllgloyw@gmail.com (Polly@golly)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: White flies
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2022 21:24:33 +0000
 by: Polly@golly - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 21:24 UTC

Went to look at the purple sprouting broccoli and when I touched the
plants a swarm of very small white flies (not sure what else t call
them, small and quick so hard to see) flew around, The back of some of
the leaves were also covered in a thin patchy white powder (best thing
to call it). Spraying with bug clearer did not really seem to do anything.

What are they, and will they make the broccoli inedible or dangerous?

Thanks

Re: White flies

<slrntm8dtd.ah8.jj@iridium.wf32df>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3283&group=uk.rec.gardening#3283

From: jj@franjam.org.uk (Jim Jackson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: White flies
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2022 21:50:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jim Jackson - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 21:50 UTC

On 2022-11-03, Polly@golly <pwllgloyw@gmail.com> wrote:
> Went to look at the purple sprouting broccoli and when I touched the
> plants a swarm of very small white flies (not sure what else t call
> them, small and quick so hard to see) flew around, The back of some of
> the leaves were also covered in a thin patchy white powder (best thing
> to call it). Spraying with bug clearer did not really seem to do anything.
>
> What are they, and will they make the broccoli inedible or dangerous?
>
> Thanks

would you believe - it's called cabbage whitefly.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/biodiversity/cabbage-whitefly

Re: White flies

<tk2mp4$1nvf2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3284&group=uk.rec.gardening#3284

From: nmm@wheeler.UUCP (Nick Maclaren)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 09:41:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Nick Maclaren - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 09:41 UTC

In article <tk1bih$1hslm$1@dont-email.me>,
Polly@golly <pwllgloyw@gmail.com> wrote:
>Went to look at the purple sprouting broccoli and when I touched the
>plants a swarm of very small white flies (not sure what else t call
>them, small and quick so hard to see) flew around, The back of some of
>the leaves were also covered in a thin patchy white powder (best thing
>to call it). Spraying with bug clearer did not really seem to do anything.
>
>What are they, and will they make the broccoli inedible or dangerous?

Whitefly, and no. They are a nuisance, but no more. Ignore them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Re: White flies

<tk3hrh$1tgd8$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3285&group=uk.rec.gardening#3285

From: invalid@invalid.com (soup)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 17:24:03 +0000
 by: soup - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 17:24 UTC

On 03/11/2022 21:24, Polly@golly wrote:
> Went to look at the purple sprouting broccoli and when I touched the
> plants a swarm of very small white flies (not sure what else t call
> them, small and quick so hard to see) flew around, The back of some of
> the leaves were also covered in a thin patchy white powder (best thing
> to call it). Spraying with bug clearer did not really seem to do anything.
>
> What are they, and will they make the broccoli inedible or dangerous?
>
> Thanks

They are Cabbage whitefly and are (can be) distasteful but not
inedible/dangerous.

They are NOT glasshouse whitefly and only live on brassicas.

Maybe try spraying with a (mildly) soapy solution or just live with
MINOR infestations.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/biodiversity/cabbage-whitefly

Re: White flies

<tk5blm$2cn20$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3286&group=uk.rec.gardening#3286

From: pwllgloyw@gmail.com (Polly@golly)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 09:50:43 +0000
 by: Polly@golly - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 09:50 UTC

On 03/11/2022 21:24, Polly@golly wrote:
> Went to look at the purple sprouting broccoli and when I touched the
> plants a swarm of very small white flies (not sure what else t call
> them, small and quick so hard to see) flew around, The back of some of
> the leaves were also covered in a thin patchy white powder (best thing
> to call it). Spraying with bug clearer did not really seem to do anything.
>
> What are they, and will they make the broccoli inedible or dangerous?
>
> Thanks

Many thanks to you who responded. In manyyears of growing, it is
something I've never come across before (although I vaguely remember I
might have had a bit last year, but certainly not as much). Will keep
spraying to try and eliminate, BUT I wonder if the leaves that have gone
into the compost bin could keep things going into next year?

Roger T