... with liberty and justice for all ... who can afford it.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Kelty truck driver jailed for causing death of cyclist

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Kelty truck driver jailed for causing death of cyclistJNugent
`* Re: Kelty truck driver jailed for causing death of cyclistNick Finnigan
 +- Re: Kelty truck driver jailed for causing death of cyclistSpike
 `* Re: Kelty truck driver jailed for causing death of cyclistJNugent
  `* Re: Kelty truck driver jailed for causing death of cyclistNick Finnigan
   +- Re: Kelty truck driver jailed for causing death of cyclistJNugent
   `* Re: Kelty truck driver jailed for causing death of cyclistswldx...@gmail.com
    `- Re: Kelty truck driver jailed for causing death of cyclistSpike

1
Re: Kelty truck driver jailed for causing death of cyclist

<km3oikFar7cU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32850&group=uk.rec.cycling#32850

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Kelty truck driver jailed for causing death of cyclist
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 18:33:08 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 17:33 UTC

> A Kelty motorist who drove while under the influence of cannabis has been jailed for causing the death of a heroic nurse who was cycling to work in an intensive care unit during the Covid pandemic.
>
> Douglas Toshack, 51, was more than two times over the legal limit for driving with cannabis when he struck James Harrison with his Mercedes flatbed truck in Edinburgh on June 25, 2020.

I have asked this before but never had a coherent response.

Cannabis is an ILLEGAL drug. It's a crime to supply, possess or use it.

People who indulge in it are criminals.

How can there possibly be a "legal limit" for an illegal substance?

Re: Kelty truck driver jailed for causing death of cyclist

<udk8qo$i45d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32890&group=uk.rec.cycling#32890

From: nix@genie.co.uk (Nick Finnigan)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 12:20:56 +0100
 by: Nick Finnigan - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 11:20 UTC

On 09/09/2023 18:33, JNugent wrote:
> On 09/09/2023 04:37 pm, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>   A Kelty motorist who drove while under the influence of cannabis has
>> been jailed for causing the death of a heroic nurse who was cycling to
>> work in an intensive care unit during the Covid pandemic.
>>
>> Douglas Toshack, 51, was more than two times over the legal limit for
>> driving with cannabis when he struck James Harrison with his Mercedes
>> flatbed truck in Edinburgh on June 25, 2020.
>
> I have asked this before but never had a coherent response.
>
> Cannabis is an ILLEGAL drug. It's a crime to supply, possess or use it.

It is a controlled drug. In some circumstances it is an offence to
produce, supply or posess it. I can't see a definition of 'use it'.

> People who indulge in it are criminals.
>
> How can there possibly be a "legal limit" for an illegal substance?

It may be possible to be 'under the influence' of cannabis, without
having supplied it, possessed it, 'used' it or 'indulged' in it. Presumably
the police want to be able to drive with small quantities of of controlled
drugs in their bloodstream, owing to completely legal activities.

Re: Kelty truck driver jailed for causing death of cyclist

<km5odjFkg5iU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32891&group=uk.rec.cycling#32891

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 10 Sep 2023 11:42:43 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 11:42 UTC

Nick Finnigan <nix@genie.co.uk> wrote:
> On 09/09/2023 18:33, JNugent wrote:
>> On 09/09/2023 04:37 pm, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>>   A Kelty motorist who drove while under the influence of cannabis has
>>> been jailed for causing the death of a heroic nurse who was cycling to
>>> work in an intensive care unit during the Covid pandemic.
>>>
>>> Douglas Toshack, 51, was more than two times over the legal limit for
>>> driving with cannabis when he struck James Harrison with his Mercedes
>>> flatbed truck in Edinburgh on June 25, 2020.
>>
>> I have asked this before but never had a coherent response.
>>
>> Cannabis is an ILLEGAL drug. It's a crime to supply, possess or use it.
>
> It is a controlled drug. In some circumstances it is an offence to
> produce, supply or posess it. I can't see a definition of 'use it'.
>
>> People who indulge in it are criminals.
>>
>> How can there possibly be a "legal limit" for an illegal substance?
>
> It may be possible to be 'under the influence' of cannabis, without
> having supplied it, possessed it, 'used' it or 'indulged' in it. Presumably
> the police want to be able to drive with small quantities of of controlled
> drugs in their bloodstream, owing to completely legal activities.

There was a scheme proposed by the police in London, to go into pubs etc
and randomly swab people’s hands for illegal drugs.

The idea ran into the buffers when the police had to be taken to one side
and have it explained to them that a huge proportion of banknotes in
circulation had traces of illegal drugs on them.

--
Spike

Re: Kelty truck driver jailed for causing death of cyclist

<km6u69Fq9ivU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32937&group=uk.rec.cycling#32937

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 23:27:21 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 22:27 UTC

On 10/09/2023 12:20 pm, Nick Finnigan wrote:
> On 09/09/2023 18:33, JNugent wrote:
>> On 09/09/2023 04:37 pm, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>>   A Kelty motorist who drove while under the influence of cannabis
>>> has been jailed for causing the death of a heroic nurse who was
>>> cycling to work in an intensive care unit during the Covid pandemic.
>>>
>>> Douglas Toshack, 51, was more than two times over the legal limit for
>>> driving with cannabis when he struck James Harrison with his Mercedes
>>> flatbed truck in Edinburgh on June 25, 2020.
>>
>> I have asked this before but never had a coherent response.
>>
>> Cannabis is an ILLEGAL drug. It's a crime to supply, possess or use it.
>
>  It is a controlled drug. In some circumstances it is an offence to
> produce, supply or posess it. I can't see a definition of 'use it'.
>
>> People who indulge in it are criminals.
>>
>> How can there possibly be a "legal limit" for an illegal substance?
>
>  It may be possible to be 'under the influence' of cannabis, without
> having supplied it, possessed it, 'used' it or 'indulged' in it.

How?

"Big boys forced me to smoke the Cannabis"?

Come off it.

> Presumably the police want to be able to drive with small quantities of
> of controlled drugs in their bloodstream, owing to completely legal
> activities.

Don't be silly. Police officers are no more allowed to ingest illegal
drugs than a chav on a bike is.

Re: Kelty truck driver jailed for causing death of cyclist

<udo0ue$172q0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32982&group=uk.rec.cycling#32982

From: nix@genie.co.uk (Nick Finnigan)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 22:30:53 +0100
 by: Nick Finnigan - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 21:30 UTC

On 10/09/2023 23:27, JNugent wrote:
> On 10/09/2023 12:20 pm, Nick Finnigan wrote:

>>> I have asked this before but never had a coherent response.
>>>
>>> Cannabis is an ILLEGAL drug. It's a crime to supply, possess or use it.
>>
>>   It is a controlled drug. In some circumstances it is an offence to
>> produce, supply or posess it. I can't see a definition of 'use it'.
>>
>>> People who indulge in it are criminals.
>>>
>>> How can there possibly be a "legal limit" for an illegal substance?
>>
>>   It may be possible to be 'under the influence' of cannabis, without
>> having supplied it, possessed it, 'used' it or 'indulged' in it.
>
> How?

e.g By being in a public service vehicle which contains cannabis smoke,
with the doors and windows locked. Or by searching a private vehicle which
contains cannbais smoke, to decide whether the offence is 'possession' or
'supply'.

> "Big boys forced me to smoke the Cannabis"?
>
> Come off it.
>
>> Presumably the police want to be able to drive with small quantities of
>> of controlled drugs in their bloodstream, owing to completely legal
>> activities.
>
> Don't be silly. Police officers are no more allowed to ingest illegal drugs
> than a chav on a bike is.

Which part of which law would be broken by 'ingesting' anything?

Re: Kelty truck driver jailed for causing death of cyclist

<kmhcsvFh0aiU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33089&group=uk.rec.cycling#33089

From: jennings&co@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 16:39:44 -0500
 by: JNugent - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 21:39 UTC

On 11/09/2023 16:30, Nick Finnigan wrote:
> On 10/09/2023 23:27, JNugent wrote:

>>> It is a controlled drug. In some circumstances it is an offence to
>>> produce, supply or posess it. I can't see a definition of 'use it'.

>>> It may be possible to be 'under the influence' of cannabis, without
>>> having supplied it, possessed it, 'used' it or 'indulged' in it.
>>
>> How?
>
> e.g By being in a public service vehicle which contains cannabis
> smoke, with the doors and windows locked. Or by searching a private
> vehicle which contains cannbais smoke, to decide whether the offence is
> 'possession' or 'supply'.
>
>> "Big boys forced me to smoke the Cannabis"?
>>
>> Come off it.
>>
>>> Presumably the police want to be able to drive with small quantities
>>> of of controlled drugs in their bloodstream, owing to completely
>>> legal activities.
>>
>> Don't be silly. Police officers are no more allowed to ingest illegal
>> drugs than a chav on a bike is.
>
> Which part of which law would be broken by 'ingesting' anything?

Possession at a minimum.

Re: Kelty truck driver jailed for causing death of cyclist

<dfda7fc9-19dd-4c0d-a77b-235ef68650ffn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33099&group=uk.rec.cycling#33099

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 23:40:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 06:40 UTC

On Monday, September 11, 2023 at 10:30:57 PM UTC+1, Nick Finnigan wrote:

> Which part of which law would be broken by 'ingesting' anything?

Drink driving?

Re: Kelty truck driver jailed for causing death of cyclist

<kmijjlFn1q6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33112&group=uk.rec.cycling#33112

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 15 Sep 2023 08:40:21 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 08:40 UTC

> On Monday, September 11, 2023 at 10:30:57 PM UTC+1, Nick Finnigan wrote:
>
>> Which part of which law would be broken by 'ingesting' anything?
>
> Drink driving?

Not relevant to the ingestion of illegal drugs.

HTH

--
Spike