From: pwllgloyw@gmail.com (Polly@golly)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Orchid Advice
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 20:11:21 +0100
 by: Polly@golly - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 19:11 UTC

I have a phal orchid that has been unwell since January when I broke off
its newest leaf whilst repotting. Since then it has got worse, with
floppy leaves and drying brown leaves and I was thinking of dumping it,
when I noticed this week a new small pair of leaves coming out of the
main stem quite low low, befow an old flower shoot. They are currently
abot an inch long.

Question i: What do I do next, just wait?, cut off some of the floppy
and dead leaves?, trim back all the ariel roots to help the new shoots
to grow?, or something else?
Perhaps these new leaves MAY develop into a new transplantable plant
which could be potted up.

Many thanks

Roger T

Re: Orchid Advice

<ti9vgv$1sfc9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3256&group=uk.rec.gardening#3256

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Orchid Advice
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 22:21:35 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 21:21 UTC

On 13/10/2022 20:11, Polly@golly wrote:
> I have a phal orchid that has been unwell since January when I broke off
> its newest leaf whilst repotting. Since then it has got worse, with
> floppy leaves and drying brown leaves and I was thinking of dumping it,
> when I noticed this week a new small pair of leaves coming out of the
> main stem quite low low, befow an old flower shoot. They are currently
> abot an inch long.
>
> Question i: What do I do next, just wait?, cut off some of the floppy
> and dead leaves?, trim back all the ariel roots to help the new shoots
> to grow?, or something else?
> Perhaps these new leaves MAY develop into a new transplantable plant
> which could be potted up.

I've just had a look at your OP back in January and my replies then and
in April. Looks to me as though it wants to live, and those new leaves
will be the basis of a healthy plant. Only remove old leaves if they
come off with very gentle pulling; otherwise they should be left alone
except if they are obviously diseased and rotting from the tip back
(although I've never seen a leaf like that). Don't remove the aerial
roots as that *will* weaken the plant and possibly kill it. The orchid
absorbs water from the air through those roots, and they also help with
photosynthesis.

It will form a new plant eventually, and should flower, but it will take
time to do so especially as we're coming into winter with shorter days.
Hopefully it will put on a growth spurt next spring, and flower within a
year or two. I doubt it will form a transplantable plant; if you are
very lucky you might get a keiki in a few years, but don't hold your breath!

--

Jeff

Re: Orchid Advice

<tihiv5$36mhq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3258&group=uk.rec.gardening#3258

From: pwllgloyw@gmail.com (Polly@golly)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 19:36:19 +0100
 by: Polly@golly - Sun, 16 Oct 2022 18:36 UTC

On 13/10/2022 22:21, Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 13/10/2022 20:11, Polly@golly wrote:
>> I have a phal orchid that has been unwell since January when I broke off
>> its newest leaf whilst repotting. Since then it has got worse, with
>> floppy leaves and drying brown leaves and I was thinking of dumping it,
>> when I noticed this week a new small pair of leaves coming out of the
>> main stem quite low low, befow an old flower shoot. They are currently
>> abot an inch long.
>>
>> Question i: What do I do next, just wait?, cut off some of the floppy
>> and dead leaves?, trim back all the ariel roots to help the new shoots
>> to grow?, or something else?
>> Perhaps these new leaves MAY develop into a new transplantable plant
>> which could be potted up.
>
> I've just had a look at your OP back in January and my replies then and
> in April. Looks to me as though it wants to live, and those new leaves
> will be the basis of a healthy plant. Only remove old leaves if they
> come off with very gentle pulling; otherwise they should be left alone
> except if they are obviously diseased and rotting from the tip back
> (although I've never seen a leaf like that). Don't remove the aerial
> roots as that *will* weaken the plant and possibly kill it. The orchid
> absorbs water from the air through those roots, and they also help with
> photosynthesis.
>
> It will form a new plant eventually, and should flower, but it will take
> time to do so especially as we're coming into winter with shorter days.
> Hopefully it will put on a growth spurt next spring, and flower within a
> year or two. I doubt it will form a transplantable plant; if you are
> very lucky you might get a keiki in a few years, but don't hold your
> breath!

Thank you Jeff for the encouraging advice. There are the remains of 2
flower stalks (about 3 inches each) should I cut those back now as they
do not look as if they are trying to put out new shoots?

Roger T

Re: Orchid Advice

<tihjtp$370ka$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3260&group=uk.rec.gardening#3260

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 19:52:41 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Sun, 16 Oct 2022 18:52 UTC

On 16/10/2022 19:36, Polly@golly wrote:
> On 13/10/2022 22:21, Jeff Layman wrote:
>> On 13/10/2022 20:11, Polly@golly wrote:
>>> I have a phal orchid that has been unwell since January when I broke off
>>> its newest leaf whilst repotting. Since then it has got worse, with
>>> floppy leaves and drying brown leaves and I was thinking of dumping it,
>>> when I noticed this week a new small pair of leaves coming out of the
>>> main stem quite low low, befow an old flower shoot. They are currently
>>> abot an inch long.
>>>
>>> Question i: What do I do next, just wait?, cut off some of the floppy
>>> and dead leaves?, trim back all the ariel roots to help the new shoots
>>> to grow?, or something else?
>>> Perhaps these new leaves MAY develop into a new transplantable plant
>>> which could be potted up.
>>
>> I've just had a look at your OP back in January and my replies then and
>> in April. Looks to me as though it wants to live, and those new leaves
>> will be the basis of a healthy plant. Only remove old leaves if they
>> come off with very gentle pulling; otherwise they should be left alone
>> except if they are obviously diseased and rotting from the tip back
>> (although I've never seen a leaf like that). Don't remove the aerial
>> roots as that *will* weaken the plant and possibly kill it. The orchid
>> absorbs water from the air through those roots, and they also help with
>> photosynthesis.
>>
>> It will form a new plant eventually, and should flower, but it will take
>> time to do so especially as we're coming into winter with shorter days.
>> Hopefully it will put on a growth spurt next spring, and flower within a
>> year or two. I doubt it will form a transplantable plant; if you are
>> very lucky you might get a keiki in a few years, but don't hold your
>> breath!
>>

> Thank you Jeff for the encouraging advice. There are the remains of 2
> flower stalks (about 3 inches each) should I cut those back now as they
> do not look as if they are trying to put out new shoots?

Old Phalaenopsis flower shoots are funny things. I've had them die just
about all the way back to the leaves, and at other times suddenly start
to produce a new flowering shoot from where the old one stopped. My
basic rule-of-thumb is to cut them back to a green part of the shoot
when they've turned brown/yellow and dried off. If they stay green I
leave them alone. Usually they do turn brown the next year, and then I
cut them back.

--

Jeff

Re: Orchid Advice

<tkgcpb$83lk$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3287&group=uk.rec.gardening#3287

From: pwllgloyw@gmail.com (Polly@golly)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2022 14:17:13 +0000
 by: Polly@golly - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 14:17 UTC

On 16/10/2022 19:52, Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 16/10/2022 19:36, Polly@golly wrote:

>>> I've just had a look at your OP back in January and my replies then and
>>> in April. Looks to me as though it wants to live, and those new leaves
>>> will be the basis of a healthy plant. Only remove old leaves if they
>>> come off with very gentle pulling; otherwise they should be left alone
>>> except if they are obviously diseased and rotting from the tip back
>>> (although I've never seen a leaf like that). Don't remove the aerial
>>> roots as that *will* weaken the plant and possibly kill it. The orchid
>>> absorbs water from the air through those roots, and they also help with
>>> photosynthesis.
>>>
>>> It will form a new plant eventually, and should flower, but it will take
>>> time to do so especially as we're coming into winter with shorter days.
>>> Hopefully it will put on a growth spurt next spring, and flower within a
>>> year or two. I doubt it will form a transplantable plant; if you are
>>> very lucky you might get a keiki in a few years, but don't hold your
>>> breath!
>>>

>> Thank you Jeff for the encouraging advice. There are the remains of 2
>> flower stalks (about 3 inches each) should I cut those back now as they
>> do not look as if they are trying to put out new shoots?
>
> Old Phalaenopsis flower shoots are funny things. I've had them die just
> about all the way back to the leaves, and at other times suddenly start
> to produce a new flowering shoot from where the old one stopped. My
> basic rule-of-thumb is to cut them back to a green part of the shoot
> when they've turned brown/yellow and dried off. If they stay green I
> leave them alone. Usually they do turn brown the next year, and then I
> cut them back.

A quick update. now got two pairs of leaves out of the main stem on
different sides and the cut back flower shoots aer sprouting again!
Remaining old leaves still floppy and slightly marked at the end.
Intrigued to see what will happen next.

Re: Orchid Advice

<tkgrvn$5vpk$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3288&group=uk.rec.gardening#3288

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2022 18:36:39 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 18:36 UTC

On 09/11/2022 14:17, Polly@golly wrote:
> On 16/10/2022 19:52, Jeff Layman wrote:

>>> Thank you Jeff for the encouraging advice. There are the remains of 2
>>> flower stalks (about 3 inches each) should I cut those back now as they
>>> do not look as if they are trying to put out new shoots?
>>
>> Old Phalaenopsis flower shoots are funny things. I've had them die just
>> about all the way back to the leaves, and at other times suddenly start
>> to produce a new flowering shoot from where the old one stopped. My
>> basic rule-of-thumb is to cut them back to a green part of the shoot
>> when they've turned brown/yellow and dried off. If they stay green I
>> leave them alone. Usually they do turn brown the next year, and then I
>> cut them back.
>>

> A quick update. now got two pairs of leaves out of the main stem on
> different sides and the cut back flower shoots aer sprouting again!
> Remaining old leaves still floppy and slightly marked at the end.
> Intrigued to see what will happen next.

Looks positive. Don't worry about the old leaves, they will detach
themselves when the time comes. The new flower shoots should start
budding up before too long, and with a bit of luck the flowers will open
in late spring or early summer.

--

Jeff