If some people didn't tell you, you'd never know they'd been away on vacation.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Shocking video shows multiple cyclists getting hit by "unaware" drivers on a contraflow cycle lane

SubjectAuthor
* Shocking video shows multiple cyclists getting hit by "unaware"swldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Shocking video shows multiple cyclists getting hit by "unaware"JNugent
+* Re: Shocking video shows multiple cyclists getting hit by "unaware"swldx...@gmail.com
|+* Re: Shocking video shows multiple cyclists getting hit by "unaware"swldx...@gmail.com
||`* Re: Shocking video shows multiple cyclists getting hit by "unaware"swldx...@gmail.com
|| `- Re: Shocking video shows multiple cyclists getting hit bySpike
|+* Re: Shocking video shows multiple cyclists getting hit by "unaware"swldx...@gmail.com
||`- Re: Shocking video shows multiple cyclists getting hit bySpike
|`* Re: Shocking video shows multiple cyclists getting hit by "unaware"swldx...@gmail.com
| `- Re: Shocking video shows multiple cyclists getting hit bySpike
+* Re: Shocking video shows multiple cyclists getting hit by "unaware"swldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: Shocking video shows multiple cyclists getting hit bySpike
|+* Re: Shocking video shows multiple cyclists getting hit by "unaware"swldx...@gmail.com
||`- Re: Shocking video shows multiple cyclists getting hit bySpike
|`* Re: Shocking video shows multiple cyclists getting hit by "unaware"swldx...@gmail.com
| +- Re: Shocking video shows multiple cyclists getting hit bySpike
| `* Re: Shocking video shows multiple cyclists getting hit by "unaware"swldx...@gmail.com
|  +- Re: Shocking video shows multiple cyclists getting hit bySpike
|  `- Re: Shocking video shows multiple cyclists getting hit by "unaware"swldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Shocking video shows multiple cyclists getting hit by "unaware"swldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: Shocking video shows multiple cyclists getting hit bySpike
|`- Re: Shocking video shows multiple cyclists getting hit by "unaware"JNugent
`* Re: Shocking video shows multiple cyclists getting hit by "unaware"swldx...@gmail.com
 +- Re: Shocking video shows multiple cyclists getting hit bySpike
 `* Re: Shocking video shows multiple cyclists getting hit by "unaware" drivers on aswldx...@gmail.com
  `- Re: Shocking video shows multiple cyclists getting hit bySpike

Pages:12
Re: Shocking video shows multiple cyclists getting hit by "unaware" drivers on a contraflow cycle lane

<km46p8Fd0l8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32858&group=uk.rec.cycling#32858

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Shocking video shows multiple cyclists getting hit by
"unaware" drivers on a contraflow cycle lane
Date: 9 Sep 2023 21:35:36 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 21:35 UTC

News report is dated 15:25, 19 SEP 2021

--
Spike

Re: Shocking video shows multiple cyclists getting hit by "unaware" drivers on a contraflow cycle lane

<de1c4bbd-78d5-41c2-8e7a-c80972e49440n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32865&group=uk.rec.cycling#32865

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 23:38:23 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Shocking video shows multiple cyclists getting hit by "unaware" drivers on a contraflow cycle lane
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 06:38 UTC

A HGV driver has caused horror after police officers caught him on a major A-road talking on a mobile phone will driving his 26-tonne lorry.

Officers from Durham Police's road traffic team spotted the man behind the wheel of a 26-tonne lorry travelling on the A1(M) while talking on his mobile.

The striking image, which the police then shared to social media, was one that shocked members of the public - with people branding him "careless" and "stupidly dangerous".

As well as the driver on the phone, he had one hand on the steering wheel and his attention elsewhere.

He was one of 11 drivers caught during last month’s Operation Tramline, which utilises officers in an unmarked lorry to identify driving offences from an elevated vantage point.

Over the course of four days, officers spotted drivers using their mobile phones, reading paperwork, failing to wear seatbelts, and driving under the influence.

Inspector Kev Salter, of Durham Roads and Armed Policing Unit, said: “Although the vast majority of drivers do seem to appreciate the dangers of distracted driving, there are still those that are willing to put their own lives and the lives of others at risk.

“Each of the drivers we dealt with had their own excuses for why they were doing what they were doing, but not one of them would have held up had somebody lost their life.

“It’s not an exaggeration. Whether it’s a quick phone call here or a text message there, we see the real-life consequences all too often.

“Distracted driving kills people, and we aren’t going to stop hammering that message home until every driver on our roads understands the weight of that reality.”

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/horror-driver-26-tonne-hgv-150000039.html

Re: Shocking video shows multiple cyclists getting hit by "unaware" drivers on a contraflow cycle lane

<km5fi6Fj4k5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32875&group=uk.rec.cycling#32875

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
"unaware" drivers on a contraflow cycle lane
Date: 10 Sep 2023 09:11:34 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 09:11 UTC

Dated 08:58, 13 AUG 2023

Is there some relevance to some agenda or other of yours?

You should note that the lorry driver had been distracted from watching the
road ahead by the undercover lorry of the police. Do you think this extra
distraction was a good idea?

> A HGV driver has caused horror after police officers caught him on a
> major A-road talking on a mobile phone will driving his 26-tonne lorry.
>
> Officers from Durham Police's road traffic team spotted the man behind
> the wheel of a 26-tonne lorry travelling on the A1(M) while talking on his mobile.
>
> The striking image, which the police then shared to social media, was one
> that shocked members of the public - with people branding him "careless"
> and "stupidly dangerous".
>
> As well as the driver on the phone, he had one hand on the steering wheel
> and his attention elsewhere.
>
> He was one of 11 drivers caught during last month’s Operation Tramline,
> which utilises officers in an unmarked lorry to identify driving offences
> from an elevated vantage point.
>
> Over the course of four days, officers spotted drivers using their mobile
> phones, reading paperwork, failing to wear seatbelts, and driving under the influence.
>
> Inspector Kev Salter, of Durham Roads and Armed Policing Unit, said:
> “Although the vast majority of drivers do seem to appreciate the dangers
> of distracted driving, there are still those that are willing to put
> their own lives and the lives of others at risk.
>
> “Each of the drivers we dealt with had their own excuses for why they
> were doing what they were doing, but not one of them would have held up
> had somebody lost their life.
>
> “It’s not an exaggeration. Whether it’s a quick phone call here or a text
> message there, we see the real-life consequences all too often.
>
> “Distracted driving kills people, and we aren’t going to stop hammering
> that message home until every driver on our roads understands the weight of that reality.”
>
> https://uk.news.yahoo.com/horror-driver-26-tonne-hgv-150000039.html

--
Spike

Re: Shocking video shows multiple cyclists getting hit by "unaware" drivers on a contraflow cycle lane

<452478ab-8580-4699-9539-684db144dfb3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32881&group=uk.rec.cycling#32881

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 03:25:21 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Shocking video shows multiple cyclists getting hit by "unaware"
drivers on a contraflow cycle lane
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 10:25 UTC

A police spy camera van using Artificial Intelligence (AI) has detected hundreds of people using mobile phones at the wheel or not wearing seat belts.

Hampshire and Isle of Wight Constabulary and Thames Valley Police carried out the operation from 17 to 21 July, targeting commercial vehicles.

It took place on the A34 and the A303.

Simon Gomer, head of the safer roads unit, said the technology showed how prolific the offences were.

The van identified 86 drivers suspected of using a phone during the week-long operation

The first is set at a shallow angle and can identify a mobile phone close to the driver's ear or whether a seat belt is being worn.

The second has a steeper view to see if a mobile phone is being used for texting.

After the offences are automatically identified by the AI system, the results are double-checked by humans before being passed to the police for review.

After being identified by the AI system the results are double-checked by humans

Mr Gomer said: "These are very exciting times and this has been a great opportunity for both forces to utilise the latest in AI technology.

"But the results we've had from just one week sadly show how prolific these offences are.

"We will continue to spread the message that distracted driving kills, these offences will be punished, and social habits need to change."

The operation found 273 motorists or passengers suspected of not wearing a seat belt

The van identified 86 drivers suspected of using a phone, 273 drivers or passengers suspected of not wearing a seat belt, and 132 mechanical offences related to issues with the vehicles during the week-long operation.

In addition there were five arrests for drug-driving and disqualified driving.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-66320176