Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 03:42:56 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Bike Worcester gets grant award to 'reduce road danger'
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 10:42 UTC

A community group are celebrating a grant award enabling them to buy more than 100 high visibility camera signs and bike dash cams to ensure that everyone is safe cycling on the roads.

Bike Worcester received the funding from the West Mercia Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) John Campion.

The hi-vis camera signs - called Pass Pixis - and waterproof dash cameras for bikes, will be loaned to city residents using their bicycles regularly.

The equipment will remind drivers to leave enough room when passing cyclists and deter dangerous driving, making it safer for people to get around on a bicycle

Department of (SIC) Transport data compiled on the interactive Crash Map website show there have been 3,528 crashes in Worcester from 1999-2021, including 448 serious injuries and 16 fatalities.

The UK’s Highway Code changed in 2022 and now instructs drivers to leave at least 1.5m (or 5ft) of space when passing a cyclist at 30mph or below – and they should give more room at higher speeds.

In Worcester City Council’s consultation that informed the City Centre Transport Strategy published in June 2023, 66 per cent of people disagreed that the city centre is a safe place for children to cycle and 75 per cent of people supported increasing space for cycling along major roads into Worcester City Centre.

Chair of Bike Worcester, Danny Brothwell, said: "City residents tell us that the biggest barrier stopping them travelling by bicycle is the perceived risk to their safety from drivers. The vast majority of people do drive considerately, but close passes - where cars get too close to a cyclist, causing near misses or injury - are far too common.

"Bike Worcester volunteers collect video evidence and map close passes on our website to provide evidence to West Mercia Police and to the City and County Councils, so that they can take preventative measures to reduce road danger from dangerous driving.

"The equipment funded by the PCC will provide a deterrent and help improve road safety. Anything we can do to make roads safer will encourage more people to cycle and walk around the city."

Bike Worcester, was set up five years ago and is dedicated to promoting safe and accessible cycling in Worcester and advocating for better cycling infrastructure.

They aim to make cycling a regular way of getting around and promote healthier lifestyles, encouraging more people to use their bikes, especially for short journeys within the city.

Police and Crime Commissioner, John Campion, said: "It is shocking to hear how many people have been seriously injured or killed in Worcester.

"As part of my Safer West Mercia Plan, I am committed to improving road safety and this includes ensuring all road users are aware of their own behaviour to contribute to a safer road environment for cyclists.

"I am pleased to work with Bike Worcester through this grant to ensure risks on our roads are reduced and everyone is kept safe and feels safe."

Inspector Darren Godsall, West Mercia Police, said: "For several years now, as part of Operation Snap, members of the public can upload digital footage to West Mercia Police, showing potential traffic offences, including dangerous driving around other road users, such as cyclists.

"Each incident is reviewed by an officer, and we regularly take action against drivers performing close passes, with either a warning letter, a Notice of Intended Prosecution which results in an educational course, a fine or court appearance, or no further action.

"Operation Snap receives about 350 submissions a month. It’s a fantastic initiative to change drivers’ behaviour."

Lynn Denham, joint leader of Worcester City Council, explained that the city council have recently approved an Active Travel Action Plan for the city with the aim of meeting government targets for 50 per cent of urban journeys to be by walking or cycling by 2030.

She said: "We welcome the news of this grant from the Police and Crime Commissioner to reduce road danger and improve driving standards, particularly around vulnerable road users.

"This will be a further boost to enabling and encouraging more active travel in the city. It is great to see more organisations working together towards this."

Bike Worcester’s current popular active travel initiatives include School Bike Buses, a monthly organised family bike ride, called Kidical Mass, a Bike Recycling Project in collaboration with Crowngate Shopping Centre (with unwanted bikes refurbished and going to people in need).

There is also the SHIFT scheme, where businesses are encouraged to make a small donation for every kilometre cycled by employees to a charity of their choice, providing a great incentive to try active travel.

More volunteers are always welcome to help with active travel initiatives, and can get in touch via their website.

https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/23775186.bike-worcester-gets-grant-award-reduce-road-danger/

Re: Bike Worcester gets grant award to 'reduce road danger'

<km5mjfFk6reU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32889&group=uk.rec.cycling#32889

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 10 Sep 2023 11:11:43 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 11:11 UTC

> A community group are celebrating a grant award enabling them to buy
> more than 100 high visibility camera signs and bike dash cams to ensure
> that everyone is safe cycling on the roads.
>
> Bike Worcester received the funding from the West Mercia Police and Crime
> Commissioner (PCC) John Campion.
>
> The hi-vis camera signs - called Pass Pixis - and waterproof dash cameras
> for bikes, will be loaned to city residents using their bicycles regularly.
>
> The equipment will remind drivers to leave enough room when passing
> cyclists and deter dangerous driving, making it safer for people to get around on a bicycle
>
> Department of (SIC) Transport data compiled on the interactive Crash Map
> website show there have been 3,528 crashes in Worcester from 1999-2021,
> including 448 serious injuries and 16 fatalities.

16 deaths in 22 years is even fewer than the number of pedestrians in that
time that have been killed by cyclists.

The cycling world dismisses these as ‘only a handful’, claiming that laws
are not necessary to enforce it.

So why is public money being spent on this activity?

--
Spike

Re: Bike Worcester gets grant award to 'reduce road danger'

<382a9191-c9c8-4919-bcdd-6fa9d8dc1dffn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32893&group=uk.rec.cycling#32893

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 05:05:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 12:05 UTC

goSHIFT 8th September 4:22 pm
User ID: 1911986
I think you need to look at the bigger picture, rather than your own personal experiences.

Looing at the CrashMap data for Worcester 1999 - 2021:

RTCs involving a bike and pedestrian: 17
RTCs involving a bike: 633
RTCs involving a pedestrian: 942
RTCs involving motor vehicles: 3511

By sharing this I'm concerned your next move will be to start victim blaming pedestrians.