A definition of teaching: casting fake pearls before real swine. -- Bill Cain, "Stand Up Tragedy"

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Watch: Driver who gave cyclist inches to spare in unsafe overtake winds up in court

SubjectAuthor
* Watch: Driver who gave cyclist inches to spare in unsafe overtakeswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Watch: Driver who gave cyclist inches to spare in unsafe overtakeJNugent
+- Re: Watch: Driver who gave cyclist inches to spare in unsafe overtakeswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Watch: Driver who gave cyclist inches to spare in unsafe overtakeswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Watch: Driver who gave cyclist inches to spare in unsafeSpike
+* Re: Watch: Driver who gave cyclist inches to spare in unsafe overtakeswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Watch: Driver who gave cyclist inches to spare in unsafeSpike
+* Re: Watch: Driver who gave cyclist inches to spare in unsafe overtakeswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Watch: Driver who gave cyclist inches to spare in unsafeSpike
`- Re: Watch: Driver who gave cyclist inches to spare in unsafe overtakeswldx...@gmail.com

1
Watch: Driver who gave cyclist inches to spare in unsafe overtake winds up in court

<2d18dcfb-9948-42bb-a1f6-eb81e9551c02n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32537&group=uk.rec.cycling#32537

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 06:55:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Watch: Driver who gave cyclist inches to spare in unsafe overtake
winds up in court
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 13:55 UTC

GoPro footage has recorded the moment an Audi driver gave a cyclist just inches to spare as he overtook on the approach to blind bend.

Stuart Morris was filmed overtaking the cyclist along a country road near the border between Shropshire and Powys earlier, a manoeuvre which landed him with a court appearance.

The cyclist's footage showed the grey Audi Q5 driven by Morris on the B4385 near Mellington Hall narrowly going by.

The 57-year-old appeared at Llanelli Magistrates Court on Wednesday, August 23, where he admitted a charge of driving without due care and attention.

The charge said: "The defendant was travelling in the same direction as the cyclist and conducts an overtake manoeuvre in order to pass the cyclist. The defendant passes the cyclist at an unsafe distance on the approach to a blind bend. The defendant’s driving fell below that of a careful and competent driver, and he was driving without due care and attention."

Morris, of Medowbrook in Bayston Hill, was fined £115 and given three penalty points on his licence. He must also pay £110 costs and a £46 surcharge.

Morris was prosecuted after footage was submitted to Operation Snap, a campaign to improve road safety which allows people to report and submit footage of potential traffic offences.

Speaking after the case, a spokesman for Dyfed-Powys Police said: "GoSafe received an Operation Snap submission involving an Audi Q5 unsafely passing a cyclist on Monday, 30th January 2023.

"Whilst on the approach to a blind corner, the Audi passed the cyclist at an unsafe distance, on the B4385 near Mellington Hall in Montgomery, Powys.

"After reviewing the footage, the driver was deemed to be driving without due care and attention and the case was proceeded to court.

"GoSafe regularly receives submissions of close pass incidents through Operation Snap. We will continue to work closely with cycling groups and drivers to develop Operation Close Pass, which aims to educate both groups on how to stay safe on our roads.

"The key information to remember when overtaking a cyclist is to reduce your speed and always leave a minimum of 1.5 metres between your vehicle and a cyclist, whenever safe to do so."

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/crime/2023/08/30/watch-driver-who-gave-cyclist-inches-to-spare-in-unsafe-overtake-winds-up-in-court/

Re: Watch: Driver who gave cyclist inches to spare in unsafe overtake winds up in court

<kl91duF1jmuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32539&group=uk.rec.cycling#32539

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
winds up in court
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 15:18:38 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 14:18 UTC

> GoPro footage has recorded the moment an Audi driver gave a cyclist just inches to spare as he overtook on the approach to blind bend.

How *many* inches?

> > Stuart Morris was filmed overtaking the cyclist along a country road near the border between Shropshire and Powys earlier, a manoeuvre which landed him with a court appearance.
> The cyclist's footage showed the grey Audi Q5 driven by Morris on the B4385 near Mellington Hall narrowly going by.

What is that supposed to mean?

> The 57-year-old appeared at Llanelli Magistrates Court on Wednesday, August 23, where he admitted a charge of driving without due care and attention.

WAS he driving without due care and attention?

> The charge said: "The defendant was travelling in the same direction as the cyclist and conducts an overtake manoeuvre in order to pass the cyclist. The defendant passes the cyclist at an unsafe distance on the approach to a blind bend. The defendant’s driving fell below that of a careful and competent driver, and he was driving without due care and attention."
> Morris, of Medowbrook in Bayston Hill, was fined £115 and given three penalty points on his licence. He must also pay £110 costs and a £46 surcharge.
> Morris was prosecuted after footage was submitted to Operation Snap, a campaign to improve road safety which allows people to report and submit footage of potential traffic offences.
> Speaking after the case, a spokesman for Dyfed-Powys Police said: "GoSafe received an Operation Snap submission involving an Audi Q5 unsafely passing a cyclist on Monday, 30th January 2023.
> "Whilst on the approach to a blind corner, the Audi passed the cyclist at an unsafe distance, on the B4385 near Mellington Hall in Montgomery, Powys.

What as the distance and why was it "unsafe" (allegedly)?

> "After reviewing the footage, the driver was deemed to be driving without due care and attention and the case was proceeded to court.

"Deemed" by whom?

Only a court can do that.

> "GoSafe regularly receives submissions of close pass incidents through Operation Snap. We will continue to work closely with cycling groups and drivers to develop Operation Close Pass, which aims to educate both groups on how to stay safe on our roads.
> "The key information to remember when overtaking a cyclist is to reduce your speed and always leave a minimum of 1.5 metres between your vehicle and a cyclist, whenever safe to do so."

"...always ... whenever safe..."?

Did the kindergarten class collaborate on that?

> https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/crime/2023/08/30/watch-driver-who-gave-cyclist-inches-to-spare-in-unsafe-overtake-winds-up-in-court/

Re: Watch: Driver who gave cyclist inches to spare in unsafe overtake winds up in court

<ef07e71e-f6d5-40fc-ae8e-0f5da475b116n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32541&group=uk.rec.cycling#32541

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 08:34:12 -0700 (PDT)
winds up in court
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 15:34 UTC

6 hrs ago

QUOTE: Pleased to see dangerous and inconsiderate driving being held to account , there are far to many people that are too impatient to wait a few moments and prefer to risk someone's life. ENDS

And thank heavens for cameras and Operation Snap campaigns like these.

Re: Watch: Driver who gave cyclist inches to spare in unsafe overtake winds up in court

<udktcb$l7nn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32918&group=uk.rec.cycling#32918

From: invalid@invalid.com (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
winds up in court
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 19:11:39 +0200
 by: Brian - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 17:11 UTC

On 30/08/2023 16:18, JNugent wrote:
> On 30/08/2023 02:55 pm, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> GoPro footage has recorded the moment an Audi driver gave a cyclist
>> just inches to spare as he overtook on the approach to blind bend.
>
> How *many* inches?
>
>> > Stuart Morris was filmed overtaking the cyclist along a country road
>> near the border between Shropshire and Powys earlier, a manoeuvre
>> which landed him with a court appearance.
>> The cyclist's footage showed the grey Audi Q5 driven by Morris on the
>> B4385 near Mellington Hall narrowly going by.
>
> What is that supposed to mean?
>
>> The 57-year-old appeared at Llanelli Magistrates Court on Wednesday,
>> August 23, where he admitted a charge of driving without due care and
>> attention.
>
> WAS he driving without due care and attention?
>
>> The charge said: "The defendant was travelling in the same direction
>> as the cyclist and conducts an overtake manoeuvre in order to pass the
>> cyclist. The defendant passes the cyclist at an unsafe distance on the
>> approach to a blind bend. The defendant’s driving fell below that of a
>> careful and competent driver, and he was driving without due care and
>> attention."
>> Morris, of Medowbrook in Bayston Hill, was fined £115 and given three
>> penalty points on his licence. He must also pay £110 costs and a £46
>> surcharge.
>> Morris was prosecuted after footage was submitted to Operation Snap, a
>> campaign to improve road safety which allows people to report and
>> submit footage of potential traffic offences.
>> Speaking after the case, a spokesman for Dyfed-Powys Police said:
>> "GoSafe received an Operation Snap submission involving an Audi Q5
>> unsafely passing a cyclist on Monday, 30th January 2023.
>> "Whilst on the approach to a blind corner, the Audi passed the cyclist
>> at an unsafe distance, on the B4385 near Mellington Hall in
>> Montgomery, Powys.
>
> What as the distance and why was it "unsafe" (allegedly)?

How is the authenticity of the video verified?

A bit of 'editing', down right fabrication, or careful camera placement
could could easily produce a faked up video.

As we saw in the Ward case, Courts are poor at examining even video
which is from fixed cameras which probably hasn't been doctored but
shows the accused to be innocent.

Re: Watch: Driver who gave cyclist inches to spare in unsafe overtake winds up in court

<bf4e0890-a0e2-4248-9e0b-420aa2bc4838n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32920&group=uk.rec.cycling#32920

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 10:31:48 -0700 (PDT)
winds up in court
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 17:31 UTC

GoPro footage caught the moment Stuart Morris dangerously overtook a cyclist. Image: Dyfed-Powys Police.

https://www.shropshirestar.com/resizer/AJAFezlNLJp1g8IDHImxpMfAiLg=/1200x0/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/mna/3ZXS36QVNZGUPFZL5GJEPVIBY4.jpg

Re: Watch: Driver who gave cyclist inches to spare in unsafe overtake winds up in court

<km6qfvFpo19U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32931&group=uk.rec.cycling#32931

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Watch: Driver who gave cyclist inches to spare in unsafe
overtake winds up in court
Date: 10 Sep 2023 21:24:15 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 21:24 UTC

> GoPro footage caught the moment Stuart Morris dangerously overtook a
> cyclist. Image: Dyfed-Powys Police.
>
> https://www.shropshirestar.com/resizer/AJAFezlNLJp1g8IDHImxpMfAiLg=/1200x0/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/mna/3ZXS36QVNZGUPFZL5GJEPVIBY4.jpg

All that’s lacking is a distance measurement.

--
Spike

Re: Watch: Driver who gave cyclist inches to spare in unsafe overtake winds up in court

<22dafbe5-91c9-4c7d-ba10-c0c1bfa14b7dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32941&group=uk.rec.cycling#32941

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 23:35:41 -0700 (PDT)
winds up in court
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 06:35 UTC

QUOTE: The defendant passes the cyclist at an unsafe distance on the approach to a blind bend. The defendant’s driving fell below that of a careful and competent driver, and he was driving without due care and attention." ENDS

That was the decision of the court - case closed.

Re: Watch: Driver who gave cyclist inches to spare in unsafe overtake winds up in court

<km814gF123uU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32951&group=uk.rec.cycling#32951

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
overtake winds up in court
Date: 11 Sep 2023 08:23:44 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 08:23 UTC

> QUOTE: The defendant passes the cyclist at an unsafe distance on the
> approach to a blind bend. The defendant’s driving fell below that of a
> careful and competent driver, and he was driving without due care and attention." ENDS

> That was the decision of the court - case closed.

So you’re saying that the precise 1.5m distance is an irrelevance?

Wow!

--
Spike

Re: Watch: Driver who gave cyclist inches to spare in unsafe overtake winds up in court

<56801469-54fc-4efe-9f05-96f9c256a5c7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32957&group=uk.rec.cycling#32957

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 03:24:00 -0700 (PDT)
winds up in court
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 10:24 UTC

QUOTE: GoPro footage has recorded the moment an Audi driver gave a cyclist just inches to spare as he overtook on the approach to blind bend. ENDS

"Inches", eh?
Not even measured in feet - should be 5 feet at least.

Re: Watch: Driver who gave cyclist inches to spare in unsafe overtake winds up in court

<km89cfF2au9U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32960&group=uk.rec.cycling#32960

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
overtake winds up in court
Date: 11 Sep 2023 10:44:31 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 10:44 UTC

> QUOTE: GoPro footage has recorded the moment an Audi driver gave a
> cyclist just inches to spare as he overtook on the approach to blind bend. ENDS
>
> "Inches", eh?
> Not even measured in feet - should be 5 feet at least.

I think you mean “Not even measured”, as these so-called ‘close pass’
non-events never are.

--
Spike

Re: Watch: Driver who gave cyclist inches to spare in unsafe overtake winds up in court

<63c1679f-e0c8-445c-91c9-141fb4be4621n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32963&group=uk.rec.cycling#32963

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 04:49:19 -0700 (PDT)
winds up in court
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 11:49 UTC

Operation Close Pass is a road safety initiative working to educate drivers and vulnerable road users to help everyone stay safer on Northamptonshire’s roads.

Operation Close Pass is part of a range of road safety work being undertaken by Northamptonshire Police and partners Northamptonshire Highways and the Office of the Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner.

Promoting the message that roads are shared space for all users, Operation Close Pass involves taking action against drivers who endanger cyclists and horse riders by passing them too closely, and sharing advice with vulnerable road users to help them ride safely, legally and responsibly.

The Highway Code states motorists should give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as they would when overtaking a car.

Patrolling on bicycles, police officers look out for motorists who fail to pass cyclists at a safe distance – a minimum of 1.5 metres at 30mph..

By radioing in-car colleagues, drivers who ‘close pass’ are stopped and offered roadside education.

Anyone deemed to have driven too close to a cyclist can be given penalty points and a fine, or even prosecuted and taken to court.