From: patchmoney@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Muddy paths and ponding
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 10:27:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Tue, 22 Nov 2022 10:27 UTC

My allotment, recently dug over, is looking very muddy. A few pools of
standing water too.

I don't really know where to start with this - I'd guessed there may be an
issue after weeding revealed a few what I assumed to be drainage channels
(loose brick-lined).

But first things first - any guidance on forming paths on the allotment? I was
hoping some weed control fabric with chippings on top might do it, but that
seems a little flimsy.

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: Muddy paths and ponding

<tli9t0$2r7h$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3299&group=uk.rec.gardening#3299

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Muddy paths and ponding
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 10:56:32 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 22 Nov 2022 10:56 UTC

On 22/11/2022 10:27, RJH wrote:
> My allotment, recently dug over, is looking very muddy. A few pools of
> standing water too.
>
> I don't really know where to start with this - I'd guessed there may be an
> issue after weeding revealed a few what I assumed to be drainage channels
> (loose brick-lined).
>
> But first things first - any guidance on forming paths on the allotment? I was
> hoping some weed control fabric with chippings on top might do it, but that
> seems a little flimsy.

If you want dry paths across muddy terrain, building up the surface with
permeable hardcore is a good start.

Ive used road grade limestone sub base. It makes it hard to dig through,
but it soon grasses over and makes as solid surface.
If you don't want to introduce stone, then building up with permeable
sand or topsoil or bark chippings etc,.

If its been dug over there shouldnt be any clay pans under.

But if its clay dig a small poond - the water will end up there and you
can plant bog plants!

--
“It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.”

Thomas Sowell