From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Anti-car cyclists: ‘go by train’…oops…
Date: 13 Sep 2023 08:41:09 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 08:41 UTC

Derby Alstom train factory jobs fear as orders dry up

Published 18 hours ago

The firm was relying on large orders to supply HS2 but these have been
delayed along with the wider project

By Greig Watson BBC News

Derby City Council is seeking talks with train builder Alstom over reports
it could be about to lay off workers.

The firm's Litchurch Lane site is the only UK train factory able to design,
build, engineer and test trains for domestic and export markets.

About 2,000 people work at the factory but the firm says its current order
book only runs until early 2024.
The council said it was "shocked" to see reports of potential job losses
and wanted to give any support it could.

Newspaper reports said the company had been relying on existing orders from
HS2 but as these have been pushed back it was now looking to reduce its
workforce.

It is estimated, as well as the core jobs, the factory also supports 1,400
supply chain companies employing about 17,000 people.

The firm's factory in Derby was originally opened in 1876 and recently
supplied trains for Crossrail
While it has its origins in the Industrial Revolution, the facility most
recently supplied the fleet of 70 trains for the Elizabeth Line on London's
Crossrail network.

Baggy Shanker, leader of Derby City Council, said the firm was one of the
city's largest private employers.
"We're shocked to hear the national media coverage today," he said. "The
Litchurch Lane factory site is a unique asset for Derby and we understand
the impact these job losses will have on our residents and the wider
region.

"As a council, we're ready to play our part and urge the government and
unions to work closely with Alstom to ensure a sustainable future for the
factory, which would not only benefit the thousands of staff at the site,
but many more across the local supply chain.

"The rail sector is immensely important to the city, and was recognised
earlier this year with Derby being named the home for the new Great British
Railways headquarters. We stand with Alstom and their workers during this
challenging time and pledge to support wherever we can."

Steve Turner, assistant general secretary for manufacturing at the Unite
trade union, told the Times newspaper the lack of work for the factory
"could be devastating for Derby and we could be looking at the destruction
of the rail supply chain in general in this country".

'Commitment to future'

A spokesperson from Alstom UK and Ireland emphasised no decision had been
taken.
They said: "Derby is very important to Alstom and to the UK rail sector.
"It is the only UK factory that can design, engineer, build and test trains
for domestic and export markets.

"We are committed to working with government to secure a sustainable future
for the factory, our 2,000 staff and the over 1,400 UK suppliers we work
with."
A Department for Transport spokesperson said: "Rail manufacturing plays an
important role in growing the UK economy and delivering better services for
passengers.

"The government remains committed to supporting the entire sector."We
remain in contact with Alstom as it develops a sustainable future for its
Derby site."

<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-66786286>

--
Spike