Women are not much, but they are the best other sex we have. -- Herold

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driver who turned onto cycle lane

SubjectAuthor
* Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driver whoswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversingSpike
+* Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driverswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversingSpike
+- Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driverswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driverswldx...@gmail.com
|`* Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversingSpike
| `- Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driverJNugent
+* Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driverswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversingSpike
+* Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driverswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversingSpike
+* Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driverswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversingSpike
|`* Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driverswldx...@gmail.com
| `- Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversingSpike
+* Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driverswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversingSpike
`* Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driverswldx...@gmail.com
 +- Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversingSpike
 +* Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driverswldx...@gmail.com
 |`- Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversingSpike
 +* Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driverswldx...@gmail.com
 |`- Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driverJNugent
 `* Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driverswldx...@gmail.com
  `- Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driverswldx...@gmail.com

Pages:12
Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driver who turned onto cycle lane

<6a40170e-a3a7-45ea-b8bf-2746475a6becn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33024&group=uk.rec.cycling#33024

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 05:46:06 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driver who
turned onto cycle lane
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 12:46 UTC

Jeremy Vine has shared footage of a terrifying and shocking incident in London this morning which left him desperately banging on the back of a van as the driver reversed over his bike having turned onto a stretch of cycling infrastructure.

The presenter and broadcaster, who works for the BBC and Channel 5 and documents his cycling travels around London through videos posted to his Twitter account, appeared to be unharmed in the incident, which happened near Euston.

Calling it "unbelievable", he shared the footage with his 788,000 followers, captioning the post: "This morning. About an hour ago. Illegal right turn, then watch. Unbelievable."

In the video, Vine can be seen cycling towards the Tavistock Square junction with Bedford Way when a van driver turns across his path onto the latter street.

However, the driver makes the turn too soon and turns onto a strip of segregated cycling infrastructure approaching the traffic lights.

As Vine calls out and honks his horn to the driver, the van stops, before the driver reverses back out of the infrastructure hitting Vine whose Brompton goes under the vehicle as he shouts out and bangs on the back door.

A passer by can be heard shouting 'stop' while another vehicle blares its horn at the driver in attempt to catch their attention.

At the end of the clip, the van driver moves forward, releasing Vine's bike from under it, as the scene unfolds next to a 'give way to oncoming cycles' sign. When the driver exits the vehicle he asks Vine: "Are you okay, sir" and wheels the bike to the side of the road.

Some have accused Vine of going through a red light at the start of the junction, however it appears to just be the effect of his 360-degree camera making the traffic light for drivers coming from the right of shot look like it is facing a different direction.

Responding to one person saying it was red, Vine replied: "It's green, Monica. Don't drive. Please."

As recently as Friday, Vine took to X, the social media platform formerly called Twitter, to appeal to motorists to stop making right turns across the path of cyclists, a manoeuvre he said was "making it dangerous to use a bicycle".

Last month, he made the case for drivers being told not to overtake cyclists in major cities, adding that he would like to see motorists pull over if they see him behind them "because they know I'm faster".

https://road.cc/content/news/jeremy-vine-makes-lucky-escape-bike-run-over-303837

Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driver who turned onto cycle lane

<kmdr66Ftld9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33027&group=uk.rec.cycling#33027

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing
driver who turned onto cycle lane
Date: 13 Sep 2023 13:19:02 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 13:19 UTC

> Jeremy Vine has shared footage of a terrifying and shocking incident in
> London this morning which left him desperately banging on the back of a van…

“…desperately banging on the back of a van…” in best drama-queen fashion
rather than getting himself out of the danger zone, his bike not being
recoverable at that point. It does make for a dramatic video, though,
noting that he sounded his hooter only when the incident was unfolding
rather than as a preliminary warning.

What possessed Vine to stop behind the van in the first place?

If this represents Vine’s attitude to good and safe cycling, he should take
up walking instead.

One has to wonder why he attracts so much aggravation.

--
Spike

Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driver who turned onto cycle lane

<cffd197d-614b-41e8-97f3-fce476744a20n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33032&group=uk.rec.cycling#33032

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 08:37:07 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driver
who turned onto cycle lane
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 15:37 UTC

Velo-drone replied to Left_is_for_Losers | 262 posts | 38 min ago
5 likes
Feels like you're perhaps a little blinded by your Vine-ophobia. He does "cycle around the truck" - which is when it reverses into him.

I did have to watch it a couple of times before I realised that truck had actually driven into a cycle lane. In that context, I get why he would be trying to reverse out - but he did not do so safely, most likely due to panic having realised his previous error.

Not sure that you are really in a place to judge from your sofa someone's actions when they've just been driven into by a 7.5 ton vehicle, and literally nearly killed. Perhaps you've not heard of "adrenalin"? Or "fight or flight" responses? The "ordinary soul" is very likely indeed to bang on a truck in that situation, especially if it is giving every indication that it may continue to reverse and further crush your bike.

No-one wants their bike crushed, whether they can afford it or not. But most of all, no-one wants to be in a position where they could have been killed by a driver's lack of care or attention.

Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driver who turned onto cycle lane

<41580184-cb83-4552-91cb-4aa7485e0549n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33035&group=uk.rec.cycling#33035

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 08:53:13 -0700 (PDT)
who turned onto cycle lane
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 15:53 UTC

the little onion | 968 posts | 3 hours ago
6 likes
Vine's law: in any video of an incident between a cyclist and driver which has been posted on the internet, there will always been a large fraction of commentators who will blame the cyclist, no matter what the actual video shows.

SPOT ON - ESPECIALLY ON TALKTV OR GBEEBIES.
GAMMON CENTRAL!

Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driver who turned onto cycle lane

<kme4jjFohvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33037&group=uk.rec.cycling#33037

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
driver who turned onto cycle lane
Date: 13 Sep 2023 15:59:47 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 15:59 UTC

> Velo-drone replied to Left_is_for_Losers | 262 posts | 38 min ago
> 5 likes
>
> Feels like you're perhaps a little blinded by your Vine-ophobia. He does
> "cycle around the truck" - which is when it reverses into him.
No-one on this group suggested otherwise. The idiot thing was then to stop
there, totally blind to the driver, followed by not getting out of the way
when the truck reversed.

It’s a shame that Vine didn’t operate his loud hooter when he first saw the
truck in the wrong lane; it could have stopped the incident in its tracks -
but wouldn’t have made such a drama-queen video.

This is an excellent video for training cyclists in how not to use
anticipation techniques, audible warning devices, and the inability to
recognise the unfolding of dangerous situations and one’s removal from
them.

> I did have to watch it a couple of times before I realised that truck had
> actually driven into a cycle lane. In that context, I get why he would
> be trying to reverse out - but he did not do so safely, most likely due
> to panic having realised his previous error.
>
> Not sure that you are really in a place to judge from your sofa someone's
> actions when they've just been driven into by a 7.5 ton vehicle, and
> literally nearly killed. Perhaps you've not heard of "adrenalin"? Or
> "fight or flight" responses? The "ordinary soul" is very likely indeed
> to bang on a truck in that situation, especially if it is giving every
> indication that it may continue to reverse and further crush your bike.
>
> No-one wants their bike crushed, whether they can afford it or not. But
> most of all, no-one wants to be in a position where they could have been
> killed by a driver's lack of care or attention.

--
Spike

Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driver who turned onto cycle lane

<ff37dea6-18a8-40af-a46e-95e670292573n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33041&group=uk.rec.cycling#33041

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 09:05:38 -0700 (PDT)
who turned onto cycle lane
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 16:05 UTC

Velo-drone replied to IanMK | 262 posts | 1 hour ago
7 likes

He does report incidents. There's no law about not putting footage on social media. The request is ostensibly on the basis that a defendent's lawyer might possibly argue that they couldn't get a fair trial if the footage were widely viewed before the matter went to court.

In this case it's hard to see the scenario in which, if it went to court, the defendent's lawyer would not advise them to just plead guilty.

Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driver who turned onto cycle lane

<kmeagjF222dU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33047&group=uk.rec.cycling#33047

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
driver who turned onto cycle lane
Date: 13 Sep 2023 17:40:35 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 17:40 UTC

> Velo-drone replied to IanMK | 262 posts | 1 hour ago
> 7 likes

> He does report incidents. There's no law about not putting footage on social media.

In the recent flurry of postings about the cyclist that kneed a little girl
to the ground, note that there was a groundswell of opinion by cyclists
that such videos should not be put on social media!

Now they are saying the opposite!

Cyclists, eh? Not the sharpest of tools…

--
Spike

Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driver who turned onto cycle lane

<90c6c820-ed66-4bfe-a2ad-48aa3c8cf34cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33051&group=uk.rec.cycling#33051

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 10:46:35 -0700 (PDT)
who turned onto cycle lane
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 17:46 UTC

Nah, the truck turned, Jeremy was continuing on his merry way with a clear lane, then without thought, the driver reversed. It's a big hoop to leap through to expect another road user to consider that driver doing that.

What else was the driver going to do other than continue going the wrong way into a 2 way street?
He had to reverse, that was obvious. Placing yourself into the blind spot of a lorry that has to reverse is pretty dim on any scale. However , that doesn't detract from the drivers responsibilities to ensure it was safe to do so. At least give a few seconds warning after putting into reverse before actually moving.

Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driver who turned onto cycle lane

<kmennrF435gU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33054&group=uk.rec.cycling#33054

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
driver who turned onto cycle lane
Date: 13 Sep 2023 21:26:19 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 21:26 UTC

> Nah, the truck turned, Jeremy was continuing on his merry way with a
> clear lane, then without thought, the driver reversed. It's a big hoop to
> leap through to expect another road user to consider that driver doing that.
>
> What else was the driver going to do other than continue going the wrong
> way into a 2 way street?
> He had to reverse, that was obvious. Placing yourself into the blind spot
> of a lorry that has to reverse is pretty dim on any scale.

Quite.

> However , that doesn't detract from the drivers responsibilities to
> ensure it was safe to do so. At least give a few seconds warning after
> putting into reverse before actually moving.

--
Spike

Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driver who turned onto cycle lane

<bb5bea14-dc89-4e9b-a5da-df8f0401562an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33057&group=uk.rec.cycling#33057

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 23:56:32 -0700 (PDT)
who turned onto cycle lane
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 06:56 UTC

That's staggeringly absurd, did you actually look at what happened? The driver made an illegal turn into the cycle lane, forcing Vine to slow almost to a standstill. With the van at a standstill, Vine went to pull round it when the driver went into reverse and drove into him. In which way is this Vine "getting involved when he didn't need to"?

Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driver who turned onto cycle lane

<kmfupeFa1apU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33060&group=uk.rec.cycling#33060

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
driver who turned onto cycle lane
Date: 14 Sep 2023 08:32:46 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 08:32 UTC

> That's staggeringly absurd, did you actually look at what happened? The
> driver made an illegal turn into the cycle lane, forcing Vine to slow
> almost to a standstill.

Vine’s big mistakes were not to sound his bibber until it was pointless,
not to stop short of the incident and let it unfold - possibly warning
other upcoming cyclists, to try to continue cycling round the back of the
van (in its blind spot) when the van had nowhere else to go but backwards,
then performing the absurd drama-queen act in the van’s blind spot even
after his bicycle was wrecked.

The van was going to reverse out of that situation in any case, and IMV
Vine merely put himself in further danger for the sake of his video.

This incident had shades of his earlier episode when the bus, in his view
for at least five seconds before it turned across his intended path, yet he
continued to cycle up to the bus, sounding his bibber again far too late,
and shouting at the side of the bus in best drama-queen fashion.

--
Spike

Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driver who turned onto cycle lane

<05958053-2331-43fa-bcef-c93e4e5e7878n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33064&group=uk.rec.cycling#33064

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 03:26:47 -0700 (PDT)
who turned onto cycle lane
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 10:26 UTC

QUOTE: At the end of the clip, the van driver moves forward, releasing Vine's bike from under it, as the scene unfolds next to a 'give way to oncoming cycles' sign. ENDS

Ah but was the sign written in Klingon though? :-)

Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driver who turned onto cycle lane

<kmgdovFcbooU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33070&group=uk.rec.cycling#33070

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
driver who turned onto cycle lane
Date: 14 Sep 2023 12:48:31 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 12:48 UTC

> QUOTE: At the end of the clip, the van driver moves forward, releasing
> Vine's bike from under it, as the scene unfolds next to a 'give way to
> oncoming cycles' sign. ENDS
>
> Ah but was the sign written in Klingon though? :-)

Whatever is a ‘give way to cyclists’ sign doing in a cycle lane?

Cyclists, eh?

--
Spike

Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driver who turned onto cycle lane

<08f7ab1d-fcee-4749-bb2b-c0ae6de97e79n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33074&group=uk.rec.cycling#33074

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 06:10:08 -0700 (PDT)
who turned onto cycle lane
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 13:10 UTC

On Thursday, September 14, 2023 at 11:26:49 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> QUOTE: At the end of the clip, the van driver moves forward, releasing Vine's bike from under it, as the scene unfolds next to a 'give way to oncoming cycles' sign. ENDS
>
> Ah but was the sign written in Klingon though? :-)

Nope - that's definitely written in English.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F5_Qrl8WIAAxEQJ?format=png&name=360x360

Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driver who turned onto cycle lane

<kmgfvqFcnpgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33075&group=uk.rec.cycling#33075

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
driver who turned onto cycle lane
Date: 14 Sep 2023 13:26:18 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 13:26 UTC

> On Thursday, September 14, 2023 at 11:26:49/AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> QUOTE: At the end of the clip, the van driver moves forward, releasing
>> Vine's bike from under it, as the scene unfolds next to a 'give way to
>> oncoming cycles' sign. ENDS
>>
>> Ah but was the sign written in Klingon though? :-)
>
> Nope - that's definitely written in English.
>
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F5_Qrl8WIAAxEQJ?format=png&name60x360

That seems to be written in white on white, posted on a white page.

And that’s on three different browsers.

Cyclists, eh?

--
Spike

Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driver who turned onto cycle lane

<9276538e-cb09-4a39-9f72-4322b18ba567n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33078&group=uk.rec.cycling#33078

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 08:25:12 -0700 (PDT)
who turned onto cycle lane
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 15:25 UTC

mattw | 701 posts | 6 hours ago
2 likes
This incident reminds me a little of the "Reverse up the one way street killed pedestrian" one in Wigton.

======================================
" A VAN driver who ran over and killed an elderly pedestrian after reversing through a no entry sign and then the wrong way along a narrow one-way residential town street has been jailed.

Amid chaotic scenes in central Wigton after a number of earlier stabbings on the late afternoon of July 31, 2019, David Barron, 57, made a fateful and careless decision to back his Mercedes Sprinter vehicle the wrong way into New Street as he sought to visit a business.

Carlisle Crown Court heard Barron’s vehicle had limited visibility to the rear, a “substantial” blind spot and, in addition, no rear window, reversing camera or audible alarm.

And that had tragic consequences as William 'Billy' Hughes was walking away from the van.

“The result being that he never saw Mr Hughes until after he ran him over,” said prosecutor Harriet Lavin.

Because of the other major police incident and closure of nearby King Street, there was no way for any vehicles to lawfully enter New Street and head towards the pedestrian in any event.

Eyewitness Wayne Jackson yelled “stop, stop” as the horrifying tragedy unfolded and desperately banged on the van’s rear door in a bid to stop the crash.

But as the slow-speed collision occurred, 84-year-old Mr Hughes suffered unsurvivable injuries and he died a short time later despite the heroic efforts of emergency services personnel.

Barron denied causing death by careless driving but was convicted following a crown court trial during which jurors heard he had reversed around 72m (236ft) the wrong way down narrow New Street.

Some 47m was on a straight stretch of road for around 22.5 seconds.

When interviewed and during his later trial evidence, Barron insisted that his actions had been reasonable and justified.

As he was sentenced today (Monday), moving impact statements provided by Mr Hughes’ loved ones were summarised.

His wife, Alice, had stated: “Losing Billy has left an enormous hole in all of our lives. I cannot put into words how much I miss him. I’ve really struggled with losing someone I shared so much of my life with..”

One daughter, Jacqueline Tweddle, told how their mother had to endure the Covid pandemic without her husband.

Mr Hughes’ other daughter, Maureen Curwen, said the image of New Street “was like something out of a horror movie” for her.

Professional driver Barron had since lost his employment, suffered from ill health and had shown remorse which was, said his barrister, both “palpable and genuine”.

In a letter, Mr Barron spoke of being “distraught” that Mr Hughes’ family would think he was not remorseful, saying that “could not be further from the truth”.

He spoke of regularly reliving the incident and of Mr Hughes being “the first person I think about when I wake up”.

But passing sentence Guy Mathieson concluded Barron, of Hillcrest Avenue, Carlisle, had accepted responsibility but not fault for a “rushed and rash decision” to reverse as he had, noting he continued to maintain he’d done nothing wrong.

“The manoeuvre that you chose to undertake that day was inherently risky,” said Judge Mathieson.

But, jailing Barron for 18 months, the judge told him the case was “not just about you”.

Judge Mathieson said of Mr Hughes: “He is not gone, to be forgotten.. He was a man in good health taken before his time; who left a widow to cope with her loss through the worst parts of lockdown; who left children and grandchildren.”

Barron must serve a three-year driving ban when released from custody.

https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/23414744.carlisle-van-driver-jailed-death-pedestrian-wigton/

Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driver who turned onto cycle lane

<kmgomvFe312U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33081&group=uk.rec.cycling#33081

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
driver who turned onto cycle lane
Date: 14 Sep 2023 15:55:11 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 15:55 UTC

> mattw | 701 posts | 6 hours ago
> 2 likes
>
> This incident reminds me a little of the "Reverse up the one way street
> killed pedestrian" one in Wigton.

And IMV this old news illustrates exactly why Vine was such a fool to
behave in the way that he did.

> ======================================
> " A VAN driver who ran over and killed an elderly pedestrian after
> reversing through a no entry sign and then the wrong way along a narrow
> one-way residential town street has been jailed.

> https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/23414744.carlisle-van-driver-jailed-death-pedestrian-wigton/

--
Spike

Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driver who turned onto cycle lane

<0c4a19b6-2730-40db-a4f4-6ab63a841760n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33084&group=uk.rec.cycling#33084

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 09:37:57 -0700 (PDT)
who turned onto cycle lane
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 16:37 UTC

𝙰𝚗𝚍𝚢 𝙿𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚌𝚎␍␊👨🏻‍💻🌐
@Cartroo
·
Sep 13
Van driver attempts to drive down a cycle lane and then, having realised the mistake, *blindly* reverses into an active lane of traffic, colliding with a cyclist in the process. Still some defend him. What does a driver have to do for everyone to agree they did something wrong?!

INDEED.

Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driver who turned onto cycle lane

<kmhb42FgtskU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33086&group=uk.rec.cycling#33086

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
driver who turned onto cycle lane
Date: 14 Sep 2023 21:09:22 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 21:09 UTC

> 𝙰𝚗𝚍𝚢 𝙿𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚌𝚎␍␊👨🏻‍💻🌐
> @Cartroo
> ·
> Sep 13
> Van driver attempts to drive down a cycle lane and then, having realised
> the mistake, *blindly* reverses into an active lane of traffic, colliding
> with a cyclist in the process. Still some defend him. What does a driver
> have to do for everyone to agree they did something wrong?!
>
> INDEED.

This appears to be an attempt to deflect attention away from the mistakes
made by Vine in his handling of the situation.

--
Spike

Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driver who turned onto cycle lane

<kmhc36Fh0aiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33088&group=uk.rec.cycling#33088

From: jennings&co@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
who turned onto cycle lane
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 16:25:58 -0500
 by: JNugent - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 21:25 UTC

On 13/09/2023 12:40, Spike wrote:
> swldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Velo-drone replied to IanMK | 262 posts | 1 hour ago
>> 7 likes
>
>> He does report incidents. There's no law about not putting footage on social media.
>
> In the recent flurry of postings about the cyclist that kneed a little girl
> to the ground, note that there was a groundswell of opinion by cyclists
> that such videos should not be put on social media!
>
> Now they are saying the opposite!
>
> Cyclists, eh? Not the sharpest of tools…

LOL!

Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driver who turned onto cycle lane

<ue0qda$33sti$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33097&group=uk.rec.cycling#33097

From: noinv@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
driver who turned onto cycle lane
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 05:34:34 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:EgdYeKG8zngcWX/C1fhmnhqu5I4=
 by: Brian - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 05:34 UTC

Spike <aero.spike@btinternet.invalid> wrote:
> swldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Jeremy Vine has shared footage of a terrifying and shocking incident in
>> London this morning which left him desperately banging on the back of a van…
>
> “…desperately banging on the back of a van…” in best drama-queen fashion
> rather than getting himself out of the danger zone, his bike not being
> recoverable at that point. It does make for a dramatic video, though,
> noting that he sounded his hooter only when the incident was unfolding
> rather than as a preliminary warning.
>
> What possessed Vine to stop behind the van in the first place?
>
> If this represents Vine’s attitude to good and safe cycling, he should take
> up walking instead.
>
> One has to wonder why he attracts so much aggravation.
>
>> …as the driver reversed over his bike having turned onto a stretch of
>> cycling infrastructure.
>
>> https://road.cc/content/news/jeremy-vine-makes-lucky-escape-bike-run-over-303837

Vine would have been in no danger if he hadn’t gone through a red light.

Even then, he had more than enough time to get out of the way.

Obviously, the driver made a mistake, which he then tried to correct, only
to be hampered by an idiot on a bike vandalising his vehicle.

Vine should be charge with criminal damage.

Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driver who turned onto cycle lane

<28853b1e-3abe-4223-b926-61f9450f1a2dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33103&group=uk.rec.cycling#33103

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 23:51:43 -0700 (PDT)
who turned onto cycle lane
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 06:51 UTC

On Thursday, September 14, 2023 at 5:37:59 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail..com wrote:
> 𝙰𝚗𝚍𝚢 𝙿𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚌𝚎␍␊👨🏻‍💻🌐
> @Cartroo
> ·
> Sep 13
> Van driver attempts to drive down a cycle lane and then, having realised the mistake, *blindly* reverses into an active lane of traffic, colliding with a cyclist in the process. Still some defend him. What does a driver have to do for everyone to agree they did something wrong?!

This is such a case:

A speeding driver who smashed into a 13-year-old boy on his bike and killed him has been locked up for nine months.

Kayn Galer was "flying" along without insurance in a modified Vauxhall Corsa VRM when Gregg McGuire cycled out in front of him. A court heard he was doing more than 46mph in a 30mph zone and despite braking, he hit the youngster, causing a catastrophic head injury from which he died two days later.

After careering into Gregg, Galer, who was on his way to meet fellow car enthusiasts, fled the scene, driving dangerously at speed with a smashed windscreen, before returning and lying to police about his speed. Newcastle Crown Court heard Galer had passed his driving test nine months before the crash but had already received two police warnings over his driving, including one six weeks before the fatal collision.

As he was jailed for causing death by careless driving, as well as dangerous driving after the collision, having no insurance and failing to stop after an accident, Gregg's mum's spoke of her devastation at the loss of the much-loved football-mad Newcastle United fan.

Gregg had left home at 7.50pm on August 14 last year to go to his uncle's house for a sleepover and was riding his bike with bright clothing but without wearing a helmet when he was struck by Galer's speeding car. The Corsa had come to the attention of a bus driver because of the manner of the driving, which he described as "flying toward us" and said he thought "he's doing a ton". He could hear the sound of Galer's engine above that of his bus.

As Gregg emerged onto Silverstone Road, in Sulgrave, Washington, he was hit by the Corsa. Galer braked before the collision but due to his excessive speed, he was unable to avoid a collision. He was doing between 20mph and 29mph at the point of impact, after braking. But he was doing more than 46mph before braking.

Gavin Doig, prosecuting, said: "The bus driver saw the defendant collide with something and something flew into the air. He was not aware of what he had hit at that time. The defendant didn't stop. He slowed down, then the bus driver said he 'took off, like literally stormed off".

With Gregg lying fatally injured in the road, Galer dangerously sped off, despite having a smashed windscreen. He was seen taking a corner so fast he crossed onto the wrong side of the road and he was doing up to 56mph in a 30 zone after the crash.

Mr Doig said: "The defendant's vehicle had a badly damaged windscreen with effectively zero visibility because of the collion with Gregg."

He parked up at some industrial units around half a mile from the scene and told friends and fellow car enthusiasts "I've hit someone". He then drove back to the scene but continued to travel at excess speed and was "nearly having to hang out of the driver's window to see ahead, such was the damage to the windscreen". He lied to police at the scene, saying he had been doing 30mph then said 20mph.

A local resident had gone to attend to Gregg, who was lying in the road and the emergency services were called. He had been rendered unconscious instantaneously and died on August 16 as a result of catastrophic head injuries.

In a victim impact statement, his mum, Alison Rudkin, said Gregg loved football and was a big fan of Newcastle United and dreamed of being a footballer - with his back-up plan being to fly helicopters in the army.

She added: "He was such a funny character and always had us laughing. He could achieve anything he put his mind to.

"He was the glue in our family. No mother should have to watch their fit and health 13-year-old boy die." She added that the thought of him lying alone in the road is "torture" and in her nightmares and said: "I pray Gregg was not in pain and was unaware the driver had left him. I'm so thankful to the people that did try to help him."

Mrs Rudkin went on: "Life without Gregg is not a life worth living. Life is a living hell. He was my baby boy, my everything." She added that kisses used to heal everything and said: "I kissed him about a thousand times in his last few days."

The court heard the Corsa had been modified to increase performance and handling but not by Galer.

He had received two warnings from police - known as "section 59 notices" in the weeks and months before the crash. He got one on January 31 last year after he appeared to be racing another driver. Then on June 24 he got another warning for entering a Tesco car park at speed and driving carelessly. Those two incidents were not in the Corsa.

Galer, 20, of Pinewood Avenue, Harraton, Washington, who pleaded guilty, was locked up for nine months and will be banned from driving for three years when he is released. Judge Paul Sloan KC told him: "Gregg McGuire was a popular, happy, caring boy who had his whole life before him. Now, because of your actions that evening, his family have been left utterly broken.

"No sentence I am permitted by law to impose can even begin to ease their pain and suffering, pain and suffering that will remain with them for the rest of their lives."

Nick Lane, defending, said: "The defendant accepts full responsibility for his actions and he is remorseful for his behaviour on that day in August.

"It was a new vehicle to him. It had been modified but not by him."

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/speeding-uninsured-driver-who-killed-27414182

Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driver who turned onto cycle lane

<kmijbtFn0mbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33110&group=uk.rec.cycling#33110

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
driver who turned onto cycle lane
Date: 15 Sep 2023 08:36:13 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 08:36 UTC

Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:
> Spike <aero.spike@btinternet.invalid> wrote:
>> swldx...@gmail.com <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Jeremy Vine has shared footage of a terrifying and shocking incident in
>>> London this morning which left him desperately banging on the back of a van…
>>
>> “…desperately banging on the back of a van…” in best drama-queen fashion
>> rather than getting himself out of the danger zone, his bike not being
>> recoverable at that point. It does make for a dramatic video, though,
>> noting that he sounded his hooter only when the incident was unfolding
>> rather than as a preliminary warning.
>>
>> What possessed Vine to stop behind the van in the first place?
>>
>> If this represents Vine’s attitude to good and safe cycling, he should take
>> up walking instead.
>>
>> One has to wonder why he attracts so much aggravation.
>>
>>> …as the driver reversed over his bike having turned onto a stretch of
>>> cycling infrastructure.
>>
>>> https://road.cc/content/news/jeremy-vine-makes-lucky-escape-bike-run-over-303837
>>

> Vine would have been in no danger if he hadn’t gone through a red light.
>
> Even then, he had more than enough time to get out of the way.
>
> Obviously, the driver made a mistake, which he then tried to correct, only
> to be hampered by an idiot on a bike vandalising his vehicle.
>
> Vine should be charge with criminal damage.

Quite.

It just goes to show Vine’s mindset that with a monumental five seconds
warning of the incident unfolding, his first reaction when drawing close,
rather than brake, is to shout “No! No!”, for all the good that did, but
only when it’s become immaterial, to sound his bibber.

I can recall a similar video of his, of a bus turning in front of him.
Again, IIRC with some 5 seconds warning, he steams up to the side of the
turning bus, shouting and pipping his bibber.

Anyone else would have braked, said “Idiot!” to themselves, congratulated
themselves on their anticipation, and gone on their way.

But that doesn’t make for a video, does it?

Vine is his own worst enemy, methinks.

--
Spike

Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driver who turned onto cycle lane

<kmijbuFn0mbU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33111&group=uk.rec.cycling#33111

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
driver who turned onto cycle lane
Date: 15 Sep 2023 08:36:14 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 08:36 UTC

> https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/speeding-uninsured-driver-who-killed-27414182

Any further developments in the last six weeks?

I only ask because you never posted about this at the time.

--
Spike

Re: Jeremy Vine's lucky escape as bike run over by reversing driver who turned onto cycle lane

<a2e4ec0e-9c4f-486c-b2c5-b0b7f8eda174n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33116&group=uk.rec.cycling#33116

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 02:11:14 -0700 (PDT)
who turned onto cycle lane
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 09:11 UTC

On Thursday, September 14, 2023 at 5:37:59 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail..com wrote:
> 𝙰𝚗𝚍𝚢 𝙿𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚌𝚎␍␊👨🏻‍💻🌐
> @Cartroo
> ·
> Sep 13
> Van driver attempts to drive down a cycle lane and then, having realised the mistake, *blindly* reverses into an active lane of traffic, colliding with a cyclist in the process. Still some defend him. What does a driver have to do for everyone to agree they did something wrong?!

A banned driver has been convicted of causing the death of a five-year-old boy who fell under the wheels of his van.

Little Layton Darwood tragically died after falling under the trailer of a Ford Transit Tipper he had been clambering on in Willow Avenue, Fenham, Newcastle, on August 24, 2020. Darren Jacques was behind the wheel at the time, but the 40-year-old was previously banned from driving. Jacques from Hutton Hill, Penrith, Cumbria, had just started to drive away when Layton became trapped, ChronicleLive reported.

Jacques stood trial at Newcastle Crown Court, charged with causing death by driving whilst disqualified. On Monday, a jury of 12 people found him guilty. On that day, Layton had been out with three other children. They had gone into a nearby shop to purchase sweets and picnic supplies, after the eldest in the group was given a bank card.

Meanwhile, Jacques had parked his work van, towing a trailer with a small differ on the back, on a kerb outside the same shop, where he was buying alcohol. CCTV footage showed Jacques leaving the shop and jogging past Layton and other children on his way back to his vehicle.

However, while Jacques' vehicle was stationary, Layton climbed onto the trailer and the vehicle. As Jacques began to drive off, Layton tragically fell and was run over by the trailer's wheels, resulting in fatal injuries. The court heard that Layton may have tripped due to his shoelaces getting caught before falling under the wheels.

Sergeant Alan Keenleyside, a Forensic Collision Investigator for Northumbria Police, testified during the trial, stating his belief that Jacques was aware of the children's presence and should have exercised "greater care" when moving his vehicle.

Upon the arrival of the police, Jacques initially provided false personal details, including his name, date of birth, and address. He later confessed his real identity, explaining that he had "panicked". Despite emergency efforts to save Layton, the young boy was pronounced dead in hospital later that day. A post-mortem examination confirmed that the force exerted by the trailer's wheels rolling over Layton accounted for his fatal injuries.

Judge Adams told Jacques that sentencing would be deferred to a later date and ordered a pre-sentence report to be compiled. The judge told Jacques to expect an immediate custodial sentence, granting him bail until his subsequent court appearance.

A provisional sentencing date was set for Monday, December 4.