Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 09:03:43 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Expanding the UK bike industry could deliver up to 130,000 new jobs
by 2030, new Bicycle Association report claims
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 16:03 UTC

A new report published by the Bicycle Association has detailed the potential for cycling and the bike industry to deliver up to 130,000 new jobs before the end of the decade.

That figure would represent 6.5 percent of the British government’s goal of creating two million new green jobs by 2030, set out in the Green Jobs Taskforce.

The BA’s new report, titled ‘The UK cycle industry: current economic and employment benefits and decarbonisation-driven growth potential’ (link is external), also argues that cycling can play a key role in the government’s aim to reduce carbon emissions by 68 percent during the same period, by replacing shorter car journeys.

According to the BA, by backing cycling and the cycle industry – which currently contributes an estimated £7.5 billion in economic value a year – 130,000 new jobs can be created (almost double the number currently employed by the sector), while other business benefits would include improved high street performance, an increase in retail spend and employment, an increase in local property values, and agglomeration benefits.

“Our industry is currently lacking the consistent policy framework and structural support needed to innovate and grow at the pace and direction that decarbonisation demands,” Steve Garidis, executive director of the BA, said.

“It is time for the Government to recognise the value, opportunities, and needs of the cycle industry, as well as the role we can play in ensuring the UK meets its net zero and economic growth ambitions.

“We are a strategic British industry, with infinite potential to deliver economic, social, and environmental benefits as demonstrated through this report, and we hope that these promising findings encourage Government to work with us to boost cycling business and broaden cycling uptake.

“Without an increase in cycling it will be much more difficult to hit our net-zero targets and it is high time that the Government put in place long term consistent funding and policies to stimulate demand, in particular for electric cycles, which have the potential to be game changing for the environment, health, and the UK economy.”

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-13-september-2023-303827#live-blog-item-49647