From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Alstom job losses: Derby Council responds
Date: 13 Sep 2023 12:56:26 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 12:56 UTC

Council responds to announcement of Alstom job losses

Published: 12 September 2023

Derby City Council is seeking talks with Alstom following an announcement
that job losses are expected in Derby due to delays with future contracts.

The Council has pledged to play its part in supporting the company, and
urges Government to work with Alstom, as it attempts to mitigate a major
fall off in production as a result in delays in new train orders.

Alstom is the UK & Ireland’s leading supplier of new trains and train
services, having built, or building, just under 40% of the UK mainline
train fleet, as well as the entire fleets in service with London
Underground.

The company is one of Derby’s largest private sector employers, employing
2,000 highly skilled people who design and build trains at their Derby
Litchurch Lane site, which is the UK’s only train factory.

Alstom provide the widest range of smart solutions in the rail market, from
innovative high-speed rolling stock, metros and trams to maintenance,
modernisation, infrastructure and signalling.

Councillor Baggy Shanker, Leader of Derby City Council, said he would be
taking steps to work with the city employer to understand how Derby City
Council could assist and support.

We’re shocked to hear the national media coverage today. The Litchurch Lane
factory site is a unique asset for Derby and we understand the impact these
job losses will have on our residents and the wider region.

As a Council, we’re ready to play our part and urge the Government and
unions to work closely with Alstom to ensure a sustainable future for the
factory, which would not only benefit the thousands of staff at the site,
but many more across the local supply chain.

The rail sector is immensely important to the city, and was recognised
earlier this year with Derby being named the home for the new Great British
Railways headquarters. We stand with Alstom and their workers during this
challenging time and pledge to support wherever we can.

<https://www.derby.gov.uk/news/2023/september/council-responds-to-announcement-of-alstom-job-losses/>

--
Spike

Re: Alstom job losses: Derby Council responds

<kmhqdiFj5nuU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33093&group=uk.rec.cycling#33093

From: jennings&co@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Alstom job losses: Derby Council responds
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 20:30:26 -0500
 by: JNugent - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 01:30 UTC

On 13/09/2023 07:56, Spike wrote:

> Councillor Baggy Shanker, Leader of Derby City Council, said..

....he would return to live music very soon and is currently having his
sitar tuned?

Re: Alstom job losses: Derby Council responds

<kmiem8Fm8mqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33108&group=uk.rec.cycling#33108

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 15 Sep 2023 07:16:24 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 07:16 UTC

JNugent <jennings&co@mail.com> wrote:
> On 13/09/2023 07:56, Spike wrote:
>>
>> Councillor Baggy Shanker, Leader of Derby City Council, said..
>
> ...he would return to live music very soon and is currently having his
> sitar tuned?

LOL

--
Spike