From: jennings&co@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Retired police chief, 64, was murdered by laughing 17-year-old
while on his morning bike ride
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 17:18:32 -0500
 by: JNugent - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 22:18 UTC

On 17/09/2023 15:14, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Video has emerged showing the recent hit-and-run death of a retired police chief in Las Vegas in what police are calling an intentional attack by the teenage driver.
>
> Andreas Probst, 64, was fatally struck on August 14 while cycling in northwest Las Vegas, where he had retired after stepping down as the police chief of Bell, California, in 2009.
>
> The 17-year-old driver, whose name was not released by police due to his age, was arrested soon after the crash and taken to the Juvenile Detention Center.
>
> Late last month, police said charges against the driver would be upgraded to include an open murder count, after investigators discovered video indicating the driver intentionally struck Probst, according to the Las Vegas Review-Journal.
>
> On Saturday, video circulated widely on social media and drew outraged reactions, showing the driver ask 'ready?' and the passenger, who was filming, laughing as he replies 'yeah, hit his a**.'
>
> Newly emerged video shows he was intentionally killed by the teenage driver
>
> Andreas Probst, 64, was was fatally struck on August 14 while cycling in northwest Las Vegas. Newly emerged video shows he was intentionally killed by the teenage driver.
>
> A visual analysis of the video by DailyMail.com confirms that it shows the same location where Probst was killed, on a stretch of North Tenaya Way, near West Centennial Parkway.
>
> There has been no word of charges against the passenger who filmed the fatal crash and seemingly encouraged the driver to go through with it.
>
> A spokesperson for the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Saturday.
>
> On X, formerly known as Twitter, a clip of the video was shared by actor James Woods, who commented: 'They stole a car and murdered a perfectly innocent man for laughs. When will it end? And more importantly how will it end?'
>
> Fox News commentator Greg Gutfeld compared the imagery to an ISIS beheading video, writing: 'a public execution. filmed. we need new leadership that sees that the new threat of terror is within, and put an end to this reign of evil.'
>
> The fatal hit-an-run occurred at around 6am, while Probst was on his morning ride.
>
> Police say a 2016 Hyundai Elantra struck him from the rear and fled the scene at high speed. Probst was rushed to University Medical Center, where he was confirmed dead.
>
> The suspected driver of the Elantra was arrested later the same day, and police say he was associated with the theft of several other vehicles that morning.
>
> The 17-year-old accused killer has not been named by police due to his status as a juvenile.
>
> There has been no word on charges for the passenger who filmed the fatal crash, seen above
>
> The 17-year-old driver (left) was arrested soon after the crash and has been charged with murder. There has been no word on charges for the passenger (right)

> [...]

I saw this item on TV news yesterday. The journalists (Fox News) were
very censorious of the driver, who appeared to be a bit NQOS, if you
know what I mean.

[NQOS: "Not quite our sort".]

I was thinking of getting over to Vegas this tr ip, but it's a bit far
from here by car.