In Seattle, Washington, it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon that is over six feet in length.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in Glasgow

SubjectAuthor
* Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in GlasgowSimon Mason
+- Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in GlasgowJNugent
`* Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in GlasgowSimon Mason
 +- Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in GlasgowJNugent
 `* Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in GlasgowSimon Mason
  +* Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in GlasgowSpike
  |`- Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in GlasgowSpike
  `* Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in GlasgowSimon Mason
   `* Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in GlasgowSimon Mason
    +* Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in GlasgowSpike
    |`- Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in GlasgowJNugent
    `* Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in GlasgowSimon Mason
     +- Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in GlasgowSpike
     `* Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in GlasgowSimon Mason
      +- Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in GlasgowSpike
      `* Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in GlasgowSimon Mason
       +- Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in GlasgowSpike
       `* Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in GlasgowSimon Mason
        +- Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in GlasgowSpike
        +* Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in GlasgowSimon Mason
        |`- Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in GlasgowSpike
        `* Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in GlasgowSimon Mason
         +- Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in GlasgowSpike
         `- Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in GlasgowSimon Mason

1
Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in Glasgow

<b7a16ac2-84fd-40dd-8f0a-2f12c397e1b6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33211&group=uk.rec.cycling#33211

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 07:00:51 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in Glasgow
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 14:00 UTC

Amazon customers in Glasgow will receive packages delivered by electric cargo bike, as the ecommerce giant extends its fleet into Scotland for the first time.

The new Glasgow delivery hub, located in Baillieston in the east of the city, is part of Amazon’s £300mn investment in the electrification and decarbonisation of its UK transportation network.

Amazon will make around 2.5 million deliveries in the UK every year via sustainable methods of transport such as e-cargo bikes and on-foot deliveries.

The new Glasgow fleet is expected to deliver hundreds of thousands of packages across Scotland’s most-populous city next year, helping to take traditional vans off the city’s roads, alleviate traffic congestion and improve air quality.

John Boumphrey, UK country manager, Amazon, said: “The new hub in Glasgow will not only bring our Scottish customers more electric-powered deliveries, but also support the local authority in looking for ways to reduce congestion and find alternative transportation methods. We look forward to expanding our e-cargo bike fleet further in the months ahead.”

Amazon’s e-cargo bikes and on-foot deliveries are now operational from hubs in more than 20 cities across the UK and Europe, with UK hubs launched in London and Manchester last year.

The marketplace, which was recently rated as an Elite retailer in the RetailX Top1000 Europe 2023 Report, is working to clean up its operations. It reported that it is the largest corporate purchaser of renewable energy globally and in the UK. In 2022, 90% of electricity consumed by Amazon globally was powered by renewable energy sources, thanks to more than 400 wind and solar projects around the world.

Furthermore, last year it announced its Moray West Wind Farm – with 350 MW installed capacity. It is expected to inject up to £500mn into the local economy throughout its lifespan, and during construction will create and support more than 1,000 jobs, with 70 long term operational roles.

The project also supports a number of local education and training goals, including transitioning of skilled workforce from the oil and gas sector, an apprentice programme, PhD sponsorships focused on environmental matters, and an intern programme.

Amazon is also a co-founder of and the first signatory to The Climate Pledge, a commitment to reach net-zero carbon by 2040. With more than 400 signatories, including more than 100 from the UK alone, the Pledge signatories are working together on initiatives to preserve the natural world and invest in decarbonising technologies.

https://deliveryx.net/amazon-rolls-out-ecargo-bikes-in-glasgow/

Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in Glasgow

<kn0g8lFu091U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33212&group=uk.rec.cycling#33212

From: jennings&co@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in Glasgow
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 10:09:09 -0500
 by: JNugent - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 15:09 UTC

On 20/09/2023 09:00, Simon Mason wrote:

> Amazon customers in Glasgow will receive packages delivered by electric cargo bike, as the ecommerce giant extends its fleet into Scotland for the first time.
>
> The new Glasgow delivery hub, located in Baillieston in the east of the city, is part of Amazon’s £300mn investment in the electrification and decarbonisation of its UK transportation network.

How does Amazon propose to generate the electricity?

> Amazon will make around 2.5 million deliveries in the UK every year via sustainable methods of transport such as e-cargo bikes and on-foot deliveries.
>
> The new Glasgow fleet is expected to deliver hundreds of thousands of packages across Scotland’s most-populous city next year, helping to take traditional vans off the city’s roads, alleviate traffic congestion and improve air quality.
>
> John Boumphrey, UK country manager, Amazon, said: “The new hub in Glasgow will not only bring our Scottish customers more electric-powered deliveries, but also support the local authority in looking for ways to reduce congestion and find alternative transportation methods. We look forward to expanding our e-cargo bike fleet further in the months ahead.”
>
> Amazon’s e-cargo bikes and on-foot deliveries are now operational from hubs in more than 20 cities across the UK and Europe, with UK hubs launched in London and Manchester last year.
>
> The marketplace, which was recently rated as an Elite retailer in the RetailX Top1000 Europe 2023 Report, is working to clean up its operations. It reported that it is the largest corporate purchaser of renewable energy globally and in the UK. In 2022, 90% of electricity consumed by Amazon globally was powered by renewable energy sources, thanks to more than 400 wind and solar projects around the world.
>
> Furthermore, last year it announced its Moray West Wind Farm – with 350 MW installed capacity. It is expected to inject up to £500mn into the local economy throughout its lifespan, and during construction will create and support more than 1,000 jobs, with 70 long term operational roles.
>
> The project also supports a number of local education and training goals, including transitioning of skilled workforce from the oil and gas sector, an apprentice programme, PhD sponsorships focused on environmental matters, and an intern programme.
>
> Amazon is also a co-founder of and the first signatory to The Climate Pledge, a commitment to reach net-zero carbon by 2040. With more than 400 signatories, including more than 100 from the UK alone, the Pledge signatories are working together on initiatives to preserve the natural world and invest in decarbonising technologies.
>
> https://deliveryx.net/amazon-rolls-out-ecargo-bikes-in-glasgow/

Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in Glasgow

<4776c773-2e41-4610-9102-8df3b6ddda9an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33219&group=uk.rec.cycling#33219

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 08:43:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 15:43 UTC

QUOTE: Furthermore, last year it announced its Moray West Wind Farm – with 350 MW installed capacity. It is expected to inject up to £500mn into the local economy throughout its lifespan, and during construction will create and support more than 1,000 jobs, with 70 long term operational roles. ENDS

Wind is generating 60% of the UKs energy supply today.

Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in Glasgow

<kn0jh8FugfeU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33228&group=uk.rec.cycling#33228

From: jennings&co@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 11:04:57 -0500
 by: JNugent - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 16:04 UTC

On 20/09/2023 10:43, Simon Mason wrote:
> QUOTE: Furthermore, last year it announced its Moray West Wind Farm – with 350 MW installed capacity. It is expected to inject up to £500mn into the local economy throughout its lifespan, and during construction will create and support more than 1,000 jobs, with 70 long term operational roles. ENDS
>
> Wind is generating 60% of the UKs energy supply today.

What about the other 40%?

Couldn't we just disconnect London and Glasgow from the National Grid
and have no fossil fuel generation (other than whatever those entitled
places feel the need for)?

Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in Glasgow

<d8b223a3-b666-465e-aee5-12ab540d2844n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33230&group=uk.rec.cycling#33230

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 09:29:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 16:29 UTC

On Wednesday, September 20, 2023 at 4:43:32 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
> QUOTE: Furthermore, last year it announced its Moray West Wind Farm – with 350 MW installed capacity. It is expected to inject up to £500mn into the local economy throughout its lifespan, and during construction will create and support more than 1,000 jobs, with 70 long term operational roles. ENDS
>
> Wind is generating 60% of the UKs energy supply today.

Still at 50% even now!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F6e3_crW0AAokCn?format=jpg&name=medium

Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in Glasgow

<kn13ebF2felU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33243&group=uk.rec.cycling#33243

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 20 Sep 2023 20:36:27 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 20:36 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 20, 2023 at 4:43:32 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
>> QUOTE: Furthermore, last year it announced its Moray West Wind Farm –
>> with 350 MW installed capacity. It is expected to inject up to £500mn
>> into the local economy throughout its lifespan, and during construction
>> will create and support more than 1,000 jobs, with 70 long term operational roles. ENDS
>>
>> Wind is generating 60% of the UKs energy supply today.
>
> Still at 50% even now!
>
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F6e3_crW0AAokCn?format=jpg&name=medium

The last time Wind beat Gas was a month ago. For 30 days Gas has had to do
the heavy lifting.

Last year 70% of electricity came from fossil fuels.

Gotta keep those EVs[1] going somehow…

EV…’Exported-pollution Vehicle’

--
Spike

Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in Glasgow

<2464489d-8a7e-401c-b741-81b5721c1c5dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33247&group=uk.rec.cycling#33247

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 14:05:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 21:05 UTC

> > Wind is generating 60% of the UKs energy supply today.

It was at a stunning 70% first thing!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F6f3JYBWYAAUMyz?format=jpg&name=medium

Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in Glasgow

<kn15r2F2qb8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33251&group=uk.rec.cycling#33251

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 20 Sep 2023 21:17:22 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 21:17 UTC

Spike <aero.spike@btinternet.invalid> wrote:
> Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wednesday, September 20, 2023 at 4:43:32 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
>>> QUOTE: Furthermore, last year it announced its Moray West Wind Farm –
>>> with 350 MW installed capacity. It is expected to inject up to £500mn
>>> into the local economy throughout its lifespan, and during construction
>>> will create and support more than 1,000 jobs, with 70 long term operational roles. ENDS
>>>
>>> Wind is generating 60% of the UKs energy supply today.
>>
>> Still at 50% even now!
>>
>> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F6e3_crW0AAokCn?format=jpg&name=medium
>
> The last time Wind beat Gas was a month ago.

And that was for only one day.

> For 30 days Gas has had to do
> the heavy lifting.

Apart from a very short period at the end of June, wind has been second to
gas by a long way, since the middle of March!

> Last year 70% of electricity came from fossil fuels.
>
> Gotta keep those EVs[1] going somehow…
>
> EV…’Exported-pollution Vehicle’

<cough><splutter>

--
Spike

Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in Glasgow

<fcd6a257-03fe-4872-a7e0-a1455d10b315n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33252&group=uk.rec.cycling#33252

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 14:18:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 21:18 UTC

On Wednesday, September 20, 2023 at 10:05:56 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
> > > Wind is generating 60% of the UKs energy supply today.
> It was at a stunning 70% first thing!
>
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F6f3JYBWYAAUMyz?format=jpg&name=medium

Even more impressive as there was zero from solar as it was dark.

Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in Glasgow

<kn16bhF2tpcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33254&group=uk.rec.cycling#33254

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 20 Sep 2023 21:26:09 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 21:26 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It was at a stunning 70% first thing!
>>
>> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F6f3JYBWYAAUMyz?format=jpg&name=medium

> Even more impressive as there was zero from solar as it was dark.

It gets dark at night?

Not much gets past you, does it.

--
Spike

Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in Glasgow

<kn22aoF7384U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33257&group=uk.rec.cycling#33257

From: jennings&co@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 00:23:37 -0500
 by: JNugent - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 05:23 UTC

On 20/09/2023 16:26, Spike wrote:
> Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> It was at a stunning 70% first thing!
>>>
>>> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F6f3JYBWYAAUMyz?format=jpg&name=medium
>
>> Even more impressive as there was zero from solar as it was dark.
>
> It gets dark at night?
>
> Not much gets past you, does it.

LOL!

Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in Glasgow

<608e40f4-6b66-4ddc-a1af-ea615c8e9743n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33262&group=uk.rec.cycling#33262

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 22:54:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 05:54 UTC

New analysis from Imperial College London for Drax Electric Insights has found that for the first time ever, installed UK wind capacity has surpassed gas.

The country had reached a wind capacity of 27.9GW in June compared to the 27.7GW installed gas generation.

As a result, after more than a century of fossil fuels dominating Britain’s electricity grid, coal and gas power generation has plummeted at the fastest rate outside of the pandemic, the research found.

In its latest quarterly report, Drax Electric Insights has found that output from gas-fired power stations fell by 23% in Q2 2023 compared to the same quarter last year.

Meanwhile output from coal, which was once was the backbone of grid, was slashed by 75% to its lowest levels on record.

Overall, carbon emissions from electricity production fell to less than 10 million tonnes of CO2 in the second quarter of 2023 for only the second time on record, with the only previous occasion being due to the destruction of demand from Covid-19 lockdowns.

The figures come amid new data showing that for the first time ever, the UK has more wind power capacity installed than gas.

Dr Iain Staffell of Imperial College London, and lead author of the quarterly Drax Electric Insights report series, said: "Wind power is blowing away gas and coal from Britain’s energy mix and in just a decade, we’ve gone from relying completely on the polluting fuels of the past to embracing the clean energy technologies of the future.

"The shift to wind as the largest power source by capacity is a clear sign of the progress we’ve made, showing countries around the world that they can decarbonise their power grids when government and industry works together."

Great Britain now has just one remaining coal-fired power station following Drax’s decision earlier this year to permanently end use of the fuel at its plant in North Yorkshire.

https://renews.biz/88122/uk-wind-capacity-overtakes-gas/

Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in Glasgow

<kn2cnjF8mchU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33265&group=uk.rec.cycling#33265

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 21 Sep 2023 08:21:07 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 08:21 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> New analysis from Imperial College London for Drax Electric Insights has
> found that for the first time ever, installed UK wind capacity has surpassed gas.

> The country had reached a wind capacity of 27.9GW in June compared to the
> 27.7GW installed gas generation.

Keep in mind that the data shows that wind-based subsidy farms produce 36%
of plated generation capacity.

This means that, over a year, wind-subsidy farms totalling 27.9GW of
capacity will produce a mere 10GW in an erratic fashion that needs backing
up by gas, oil, and coal, especially during the high-demand period of the
winter when high-pressure areas settle over Europe for weeks at a time,
reducing wind speeds to near zero.

There were four such periods last winter, in November, December, February,
and March/April. We had to use coal and OCGT to make up the shortfall
caused by a lack of wind.

Environmentalists, eh? Not the sharpest tools in the box:

Gas turbine-powered generators are ‘quick’ to start up (~45 minutes)
compared to a coal-fired power station (several days?).

During fire-up the turbines are very inefficient, from ~0% for the first 5
minutes, to 25% to about 45 minutes, when the second part of the
combined-cycle kicks in at about 60% efficiency.

The combined-cycle gas turbine (CCGT) uses ‘waste’ heat from the turbine to
provide steam pressure to run a second generator, thus improving the
overall efficiency of the system.

With 60% efficiency, each GW of power output uses 1/0.6=1.67GW of gas.

Interestingly, if a 1GW CCGT was replaced by a 1GW wind farm, real-world
data suggests the latter, over a year, would produce an average of 0.36GW,
leaving 0.64GW to be supplied by the CCGT in an intermittent regime of
stop/start and throttled-back running in which it might be only 40%
efficient.

So over the year the CCGT will use 0.64/0.4=1.6GW of gas, which is the same
as if it ran in efficient mode and the wind farm didn’t exist, the latter
having cost money and materials to no real effect.

Renewables are a waste of resources.

https://renews.biz/88122/uk-wind-capacity-overtakes-gas/

--
Spike

Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in Glasgow

<efb7727a-15c7-4adc-94c7-241e396bf8d9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33270&group=uk.rec.cycling#33270

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 02:58:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 09:58 UTC

The UK has set a new record in reducing carbon dioxide emissions from its electricity.

On 18th September at 2pm, the grid achieved a new low carbon intensity record, hitting just 27 grammes per kilowatt-hour (g/kWh), according to a new report by National Grid ESO.

This beats the previous record set earlier this year on 10th April, which stood at 33 g/kWh.

Wind power played a pivotal role, contributing 48% of the electricity supply on that day.

Nuclear energy followed at 18.9%, with solar power at 4.3%, and gas at 14.5%.

The total carbon intensity for the entire day was 66 gCO2/kWh, with renewables making up 57% of the energy mix.

https://www.energylivenews.com/2023/09/21/uk-smashes-low-carbon-record-with-wind-power/

Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in Glasgow

<kn30ovFbotqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33278&group=uk.rec.cycling#33278

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 21 Sep 2023 14:03:11 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 14:03 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> The UK has set a new record in reducing carbon dioxide emissions from its electricity.

> On 18th September at 2pm, the grid achieved a new low carbon intensity
> record, hitting just 27 grammes per kilowatt-hour (g/kWh), according to a
> new report by National Grid ESO.

Amazingly, Kate’s website shows emissions on 18 September at 68g/kWh and on
the 19th at 61g/kWh.

Kate gets her data from National Grid ESO.

Note that occasional ‘flash’ readings mean diddly-squat.

> https://www.energylivenews.com/2023/09/21/uk-smashes-low-carbon-record-with-wind-power/

--
Spike

Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in Glasgow

<9d359a18-6320-4403-a34c-457f08412b51n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33279&group=uk.rec.cycling#33279

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 07:21:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 14:21 UTC

On Easter Monday, UK wind farms generated an impressive 13.70GW of power, which made up 58.10% of the country’s overall demand – significantly more than any other source.

According to Grid Carbon, at 11.15pm on Monday, wind power alone produced 12.6GW of electricity, which equated to 52.2% of demand. In comparison, nuclear power generated 4.7GW, while gas generated 3.7GW.

By 2.40pm on Monday, wind and solar energy accounted for 55% of the UK’s total electricity production, with nuclear power contributing almost 16%.

Meanwhile, fossil gas generation remained at a meagre 8.3%, resulting in a carbon intensity of just 59 grams of carbon dioxide per kilowatt hour.

https://www.energylivenews.com/2023/04/11/wind-power-ed-uk-wind-farms-blow-away-competition-with-record-bank-holiday-output/

Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in Glasgow

<kn32thFc3q4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33282&group=uk.rec.cycling#33282

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 21 Sep 2023 14:39:45 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 14:39 UTC

Gas outperformed wind, by a large margin - sometimes by 15GW - from 22
August to 17th September.

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Easter Monday, UK wind farms generated an impressive 13.70GW of power,
> which made up 58.10% of the country’s overall demand – significantly more
> than any other source.
>
> According to Grid Carbon, at 11.15pm on Monday, wind power alone produced
> 12.6GW of electricity, which equated to 52.2% of demand. In comparison,
> nuclear power generated 4.7GW, while gas generated 3.7GW.
>
> By 2.40pm on Monday, wind and solar energy accounted for 55% of the UK’s
> total electricity production, with nuclear power contributing almost 16%.
>
> Meanwhile, fossil gas generation remained at a meagre 8.3%, resulting in
> a carbon intensity of just 59 grams of carbon dioxide per kilowatt hour.
>
> https://www.energylivenews.com/2023/04/11/wind-power-ed-uk-wind-farms-blow-away-competition-with-record-bank-holiday-output/

--
Spike

Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in Glasgow

<b1d975e6-2b64-40ed-9a4f-6f5411856132n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33285&group=uk.rec.cycling#33285

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 08:05:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 15:05 UTC

RenewableUK is highlighting another wind energy generation record, set yesterday evening (Tuesday 10th January) and confirmed today by National Grid ESO.

Wind generated 21.6 gigawatts (GW) of electricity in the half-hour period between 6-6.30pm, providing 50.4% of Britain's power. This beats the previous record of 20.9GW set on 30th December, which was the third wind energy record set last year.

RenewableUK has been tracking the massive amount of electricity being produced by low carbon sources (renewables and nuclear) throughout the winter and tweeting updates every fortnight. Our latest #WinterPowerUpdate shows low carbon power sources produced 82.5% of Britain’s electricity from the 27th of December to 9th of January. This cut gas demand by 1.31 billion cubic meters, which would have cost £2.1 billion.

RenewableUK's CEO Dan McGrail said: "Throughout this blustery winter, wind is taking a leading role as our major power source, setting new records time and time again. This is good news for billpayers and businesses, as wind is our cheapest source of new power and reduces the UK’s use of expensive fossil fuels which are driving up energy bills. With public support for renewables also hitting new record highs, it’s clear we should be trying to maximise new investment in renewables to increase our energy security”.

https://www.renewableuk.com/news/627829/Wind-generates-21-gigawatts-of-electricity--first-new-record-of-2023.htm

Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in Glasgow

<kn3ok4FfenrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33308&group=uk.rec.cycling#33308

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 21 Sep 2023 20:50:12 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 20:50 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> RenewableUK is highlighting another wind energy generation record, set
> yesterday evening (Tuesday 10th January) and confirmed today by National Grid ESO.

The 10th January this year was the last time that month that wind
outperformed gas, and for the rest of the month, gas led wind by between 7
and 12GW.

I doubt ‘RenewableUK’ would publish that, or the other three times last
winter where gas had to rescue wind for weeks rather than the odd
half-hour.

> https://www.renewableuk.com/news/627829/Wind-generates-21-gigawatts-of-electricity--first-new-record-of-2023.htm

--
Spike

Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in Glasgow

<fafd4d3a-ee17-425e-8598-225e7d5821a0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33315&group=uk.rec.cycling#33315

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 14:04:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 21:04 UTC

LONDON, Jan 6 (Reuters) - Britain’s wind farms contributed a record 26.8% of the country’s electricity in 2022 although gas-fired power plants remained the biggest source of power, National Grid (NG.L) data showed on Friday.

Britain has a target to reach net zero emissions by 2050 which will require a huge scale-up of renewable power generation such as wind and solar.

The share of wind power in Britain’s electricity mix last year was up from 21.8% in 2021, the data showed, as more wind projects came online.

The world’s largest offshore wind farm, Hornsea 2 off the Yorkshire coast in the North Sea, became fully operational in August 2022.

The wind farm can generate enough electricity to power around 1.4 million homes.

The rise came as the country imported less electricity, with imports making up 5.5% of the total down from 10.3% in 2021.

Britain typically imports electricity from France but this year issues with France’s nuclear fleet mean the European country which traditionally was a large exporter of power, turned a net importer in 2022.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/britain-produced-record-amount-wind-power-2022-national-grid-2023-01-06/

Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in Glasgow

<kn3sa9Fg0coU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33329&group=uk.rec.cycling#33329

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 21 Sep 2023 21:53:13 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 21:53 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> LONDON, Jan 6 (Reuters) - Britain’s wind farms contributed a record 26.8%
> of the country’s electricity in 2022 although gas-fired power plants
> remained the biggest source of power, National Grid (NG.L) data showed on Friday.

26.8% generated by wind? That’s dreadfully inefficient. I was working on
36%!

And the matter of falling wind speeds in Europe has exercised the IPCC.

> https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/britain-produced-record-amount-wind-power-2022-national-grid-2023-01-06/

--
Spike

Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in Glasgow

<44a65ad4-0896-4ba3-880f-844417868de9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33336&group=uk.rec.cycling#33336

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 23:09:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 06:09 UTC

2022 has started on a windy note. With turbines enjoying the heavy blows and gusty winds, January delivered a record-breaking month in terms of its green energy output. New numbers by the Danish Energy Agency show a total production of 2,3 TWh of green electricity from wind alone. The harvest is nearly twice as high as the output in the same month last year where Danish turbines produced a total of 1,2 TWh.

“Following a year with wind performing below average, January’s output is extremely encouraging. On top, high output like this is even more important in the early winter months where electricity consumption is typically higher than rest of the year,” says Søren Klinge, Head of Markets at Wind Denmark.

With a national output of 2.3 TWh, Danish wind turbines generated green energy equivalent to 68 percent of the Danish electricity consumption in January. The previous record on a month-to-month basis dates back to 2020 where Danish wind turbines produced 2.17 TWh.

One of the drivers behind Denmark's increased productivity is the recently installed wind farm, Kriegers Flak. Inaugurated in September 2021, the 604 MW offshore farm is located in the Baltic Sea. Being Scandinavia’s largest, the offshore wind farm can produce enough electricity to cover the annual consumption of about 600,000 households.

Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in Glasgow

<kn51rjFllllU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33340&group=uk.rec.cycling#33340

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 22 Sep 2023 08:33:55 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 08:33 UTC

When reading the account below concerning the production of wind energy in
Denmark, keep in mind the Danish model.

This consists of the considerable excess of wind-generated electricity on
windy days being dealt with by paying other countries to import it, Norway
being a particular beneficiary of this Danish largesse.

Then on the days and weeks when the wind doesn’t blow, Denmark pays a
premium to import electricity from other countries, notably Norway.

Who would have realised the real beneficiary of the Danish programme would
be other countries?

Note in the report below the absence of any mention of the destination of
these fabulous amounts of energy.

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2022 has started on a windy note. With turbines enjoying the heavy blows
> and gusty winds, January delivered a record-breaking month in terms of
> its green energy output. New numbers by the Danish Energy Agency show a
> total production of 2,3 TWh of green electricity from wind alone. The
> harvest is nearly twice as high as the output in the same month last year
> where Danish turbines produced a total of 1,2 TWh.
>
> “Following a year with wind performing below average, January’s output is
> extremely encouraging. On top, high output like this is even more
> important in the early winter months where electricity consumption is
> typically higher than rest of the year,” says Søren Klinge, Head of
> Markets at Wind Denmark.
>
> With a national output of 2.3 TWh, Danish wind turbines generated green
> energy equivalent to 68 percent of the Danish electricity consumption in
> January. The previous record on a month-to-month basis dates back to 2020
> where Danish wind turbines produced 2.17 TWh.
>
> One of the drivers behind Denmark's increased productivity is the
> recently installed wind farm, Kriegers Flak. Inaugurated in September
> 2021, the 604 MW offshore farm is located in the Baltic Sea. Being
> Scandinavia’s largest, the offshore wind farm can produce enough
> electricity to cover the annual consumption of about 600,000 households.

--
Spike

Re: Amazon rolls out ecargo bikes in Glasgow

<f54cecf1-1000-440e-9288-184f3c7ceea2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33344&group=uk.rec.cycling#33344

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 03:27:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 10:27 UTC

Countries all over the world are making major strides in renewable energy. Many nations are investing in new clean energy infrastructure that is allowing them to supply enough power to meet their energy needs by great percentages, if not entirely.

On February 22nd, Denmark generated enough energy with its wind turbines to power the entire country for the day. An especially windy day allowed the turbines to generate 97 gigawatt-hours (GWh) of energy. 70 of those GWh came from onshore wind turbines and the remaining 27 GWh from offshore installations. All of this power, generated from a single type of renewable energy, is enough to power 10 million average EU homes.

This boost in wind power generation is partly thanks to a new offshore wind turbine installation that was able to break the record for the most energy generated by a single turbine in a 24-hour period.

https://futurism.com/denmark-just-ran-their-entire-country-on-100-wind-energy