Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 09:00:50 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Scots cyclist bumps into King Charles in random meeting near Balmoral
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 16:00 UTC

King Charles has been spotted hiking around the grounds of Balmoral estate by Scots cyclist McTrail Rider.

The professional sports star, also known as Andrew McAvoy, hails from Lochgilphead and travels the length and breadth of the country to share Scotland's top biking destinations with his 36,000 YouTube subscribers.

On his most recent ride, he headed to Aberdeenshire and captured a very rare moment indeed as he bumped into King Charles as he hiked around his beloved family estate whilst on his annual summer holiday in Scotland.

In the footage - captured by a go-pro - the monarch is kitted out with a hat to keep him warm and a hiking stick. Charles can be heard asking McTrail and the group he was with whether they'd previously cycled the grounds, before adding that he believes 'it's lovely'.

The King also reveals he gets just as troubled as the rest of us when it comes to the humble Highland midge. He could be heard saying: "The midges are horrendous.

"But I like my walk."

Andrew and some of his fellow cyclists then inform the King they're staying in the Gelder Shiel Bothy - also known as Ernie's Bothy - which was originally built in 1868 by Queen Victoria and officially opened by the King, when he was still known as Prince Charles, in 2015.

Charles replies in the footage that he's "so glad" they are enjoying the bothy as he adds: "We renovated it."

The monarch opened up about some of his childhood memories from the estate, which was much-loved by his mother, the late Queen, as he revealed he too had stayed in the royal bothy.

"We stayed there when I was very young, with my father and my sister," Charles said.

As the group of cyclists continue with their cycle, the King wishes them well, joking: "Take care and don't fall off."

Continuing a long-standing royal tradition, King Charles arrived in Scotland in August 2023.

After staying at the Castle of Mey - the former home of his beloved grandmother, Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother – the King relocated to Balmoral.

He is set to return to England in early October after marking the anniversary of his ascension in Scotland.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/celebrity/king-charles-spotted-walking-round-30977229