Management is not responsible for loss or damage.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming" over cycling helmet campaign

SubjectAuthor
* Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming" over cyclingSimon Mason
+- Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming"Spike
+* Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming" over cyclingSimon Mason
> [...]
|     |    |`- Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming"Spike
|     |    `* Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming" over cyclingSimon Mason
|     |     `* Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming" over cyclingSimon Mason
|     |      `* Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming" over cyclingSimon Mason
|     |       +- Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming"Spike
|     |       `* Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming" over cyclingSimon Mason
|     |        +- Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming"Spike
|     |        `- Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming" over cyclingSimon Mason
|     `- Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming"Spike
`- Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming"Spike

Pages:123
Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming" over cycling helmet campaign

<knl0mbFb8qhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33535&group=uk.rec.cycling#33535

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming"
over cycling helmet campaign
Date: 28 Sep 2023 09:52:11 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 09:52 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> No, they are collisions - that's the only description we can be certain
> about. A driver may not mean to hit you, but by not paying sufficient
> attention they did so nonetheless. That's a decision on their part, not an accident.
>
> I'm not going to get into a debate about whether the helmet saved your
> life in this instance. I also wear a helmet when cycling, but I don't
> think that it should be front and centre of a road safety campaign, which
> is what is actually being debated here.

Unfortunately, the number of cyclists that are killed in circumstances that
don’t involve a motor vehicle is not insignificant. Since drivers cannot be
blamed for these, and the causes remain uninvestigated, wearing a helmet
makes sense. None of those cyclists wished to die.

--
Spike

Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming" over cycling helmet campaign

<5b9be79e-5384-4741-bf75-856c5c897d9fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33536&group=uk.rec.cycling#33536

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 02:54:04 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming" over cycling
helmet campaign
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 09:54 UTC

New cameras aimed at catching drivers using their mobile phone behind the wheel are proving successful in police trials.

The technology, which can also detect whether drivers are wearing a seatbelt, was initially rolled out on selected routes across Devon and Cornwall from October, last year.

During the first couple of weeks, almost 600 people were caught by police not wearing seatbelts on Devon and Cornwall roads.

The cameras caught 590 people not wearing seatbelts and 40 people driving while using a mobile phone.

The Acusensus system is equipped with multiple cameras which record footage of passing motorists.

Images captured by the cameras are processed using artificial intelligence (AI) to determine if motorists were using a handheld mobile phone or if drivers and passengers were without a seat belt. It can also determine the speed a vehicle was travelling at the time.

Any images in which a potential offence is detected are then reviewed. If an offence has been correctly identified, the driver will either be sent a warning letter or a notice of intended prosecution, depending on the severity.

Twelve police regions have now trialled the Acusensus technology and three new trailer-based systems have arrived in the UK ahead of the next phase of trials.

Recent trials of the new trailer-based system, by Devon and Cornwall Police, caught almost 300 drivers breaking the law during the first three days of use.

The motorists were found to be using mobile phones or not wearing seatbelts..

Adrian Leisk, head of road safety for Devon and Cornwall Police, said: "When we trialled this technology last year, we were disappointed by the number of drivers detected not wearing seatbelts.

"The early results from our latest deployment show that there is also a problem with mobile phone use behind the wheel, which is both dangerous and illegal.

"We are employing this new technology to send a clear message to anyone who continues to use their phone behind the wheel - you will get caught."

The technology has also been deployed by Hampshire Constabulary and Thames Valley Police.

Partners, AECOM, operated the van-based system at locations across the two force areas, identifying hundreds of cases where these dangerous behaviours were taking place.

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/car-industry-news/2023/08/17/ai-cameras-that-can-spot-mobile-phone-use-prove-successful-in-trials

Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming" over cycling helmet campaign

<knldg3Fd9egU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33543&group=uk.rec.cycling#33543

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
over cycling helmet campaign
Date: 28 Sep 2023 13:30:43 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 13:30 UTC

Having comprehensively lost the argument, Simon Mason swings in to Full
Deflection Mode, by dragging up an old favourite…

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> New cameras aimed at catching drivers using their mobile phone behind the
> wheel are proving successful in police trials.

Transparent? Mason? Quelle surprise!

--
Spike

Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming" over cycling helmet campaign

<knlkn9Fee5uU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33553&group=uk.rec.cycling#33553

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
over cycling helmet campaign
Date: 28 Sep 2023 15:34:01 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 15:34 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> Police are cracking down on drivers using mobile phones and driving
> without wearing a seatbelt with a new van which has a camera mounted
> about 21ft above the road.

Full Deflection Mode not having worked, Simon Mason will try Full
Deflection Mode…

🙄

--
Spike

Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming" over cycling helmet campaign

<71dd6f87-f360-4d1e-9623-1f2e93ca4677n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33556&group=uk.rec.cycling#33556

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 08:36:56 -0700 (PDT)
helmet campaign
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 15:36 UTC

We’re carrying out a mobile phone enforcement operation led by the National Police Chief’s Council (NPCC) over the next three weeks, joining police colleagues from across the country to target drivers who are being distracted by mobile phones or other devices while driving.

Since the beginning of 2021, there have been more than 4,500 fatal or injury collisions on Avon and Somerset roads. A quarter of these had distraction, mobile phone use or driver failed to look properly listed as a contributing factor.

Drivers who use a mobile phone, whether handheld or hands free, are at four times greater risk of crashing. We class this as one of the ‘fatal five’ behaviours that we’re dedicated to tackling all year round.

From 27th February to 12th March, our officers will be carrying out high profile intelligence and data led enforcement across the region to reassure the public and help to influence driver decisions around using a mobile behind the wheel. The RAC 2020 Report on Motoring states that a third of Britain’s 40 million drivers feel mobile phone use is one of their top concerns.

We’re using this operation to highlight changes to the laws around mobile phones, raising awareness that it is now illegal to hold and use a mobile phone, sat nav, tablet or any device that can send or receive data, while driving a motor vehicle or riding a motorcycle. This includes unlocking the screen, checking the time, texting, making, or rejecting calls, taking photos or videos, browsing the web and drafting or reading text message, all of which are easily proven.

The law still applies if you are:

stopped at traffic lights
queuing in traffic
supervising a learner driver
driving a car fitted with stop/start technology that switches the engine off when you come to a stop
holding and using a device that’s offline or in flight mode

Penalties for using phones in these ways range from six points and a £200 fine to being disqualified from driving and facing court, where a fine of £1,000 can be imposed (£2,500 if driving a lorry or bus).

The situations in which a device can be used are:

to call 999 or 112 in an emergency and it’s unsafe or impractical to stop
you’re safely parked
you’re making a contactless payment in a vehicle that’s not moving (e.g., at a drive through restaurant)
you’re using the device to park your vehicle remotely

We’re also encouraging people to share video evidence (dashcam, cyclecam, helmetcam and others) of drivers using their phone at www.avonandsomerset.police.uk/roads to help us prosecute offenders.

Inspector John Shaddick of the Tactical Support Team said:

“The majority of people agree that driving while distracted is dangerous and completely unacceptable behaviour. In the last 12 months, we’ve received 713 videos of drivers using their mobile phones from drivers with dash cams. We’ve taken police action in 607 of those cases, and are grateful to members of the public who are working with us to keep our roads safer.

“To those tempted to use their phones whilst driving, we say put it somewhere you can’t see, hear, or reach it and allow yourself a break to park up and check it if you need to. There is no excuse for putting yourself and others in danger by driving distracted.

“Based on figures published by the government in 2021, we can expect 100 people to lose their lives on UK roads during the three weeks of this operation. It’s a shocking statistic and the reason why we are committed to taking dangerous drivers off the roads around the clock, every day of the year.”

Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming" over cycling helmet campaign

<knllhbFeib8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33559&group=uk.rec.cycling#33559

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
over cycling helmet campaign
Date: 28 Sep 2023 15:47:55 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 15:47 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> We’re carrying out a mobile phone enforcement operation led by the
> National Police Chief’s Council (NPCC) over the next three weeks, joining
> police colleagues from across the country to target drivers who are being
> distracted by mobile phones or other devices while driving.

Unattributed article, posted on 27 February 2023 at 10:14, in full:

<https://www.avonandsomerset.police.uk/news/2023/02/were-joining-nationwide-crackdown-on-people-who-use-mobile-phones-while-driving/>

--
Spike

Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming" over cycling helmet campaign

<6fc7152d-3445-4f2a-ab65-3da532049650n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33561&group=uk.rec.cycling#33561

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 08:50:41 -0700 (PDT)
helmet campaign
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 15:50 UTC

West Mercia Police are supporting the National Police Chiefs’ Council (NPCC) mobile phone campaign (8th – 21st Feb), by targeting motorists who continue to use their mobile phone at the wheel.

Distraction behind the wheel is such a significant contributory factor with regards to road collisions and this campaign demonstrates a willingness by police forces across the UK to tackle the issue of mobile phone use. Recent research carried out by the RAC, showing a detailed picture of drivers’ attitudes and opinion, places mobile phone use as the top driver concern.

Since 2018 there have been 2 fatalities, 14 serious injuries and 60 slight injuries in West Mercia where use of a mobile phone was recorded as a causation factor.

As part of the campaign motorists are being urged to really consider the impact using a mobile phone has on their driving ability, whether this is hand held or hands free and for all use, not just calls. Whilst hands free is still legal, it is still a distraction and has been proven that drivers are more likely to be involved in a collision, are far less likely to notice or react to hazards, show poor lane discipline and display variable speed choices. If being distracted is leading to dangerous driving behaviour then enforcement can still be an option whether hands free or not.

For some people ensuring that your mobile phone is kept out of easy reach or turning your mobile off whilst driving is an easy way of avoiding the temptation.

Motorists caught using a mobile phone could face a £200 fine and six points on their licence. Drivers caught twice face a lengthy ban – which could also then lead to a £1,000 fine. While new drivers - those who have passed within the last two years - face having their licence revoked if caught just once.

However, traditional police officer enforcement isn’t the only deterrent that is out there. With our recent commitment to the Operation Snap initiative members of the public can submit footage that has been captured on dashcam, headcams or other devices to a secure online portal, this means that anyone could be capturing evidence of poor driving and mobile phone use that will be viewed and actioned by a police officer.

Superintendent Mel Crowther for West Mercia Police said: ““Driving while distracted by a mobile phone is completely unacceptable and puts everyone on the roads at risk of serious harm. We are urging those motorists who currently use a phone behind the wheel, whether hand held or hands free to really consider the impact of this on their safety and the safety of other road users, especially at this time of increased demand on emergency services. When you get behind the wheel it is your responsibility to stay focused and alert and we will be doing all we can to ensure our roads are kept safe”.

Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming" over cycling helmet campaign

<knlu8kFfueoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33570&group=uk.rec.cycling#33570

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
over cycling helmet campaign
Date: 28 Sep 2023 18:16:52 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 18:16 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> West Mercia Police are supporting the National Police Chiefs’ Council
> (NPCC) mobile phone campaign (8th – 21st Feb), by targeting motorists who
> continue to use their mobile phone at the wheel.

Unattributed article can be found at

<https://www.westmercia.police.uk/news/west-mercia/news/2021/january/police-continue-crackdown-on-drivers-using-mobile-phone/>

--
Spike

Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming" over cycling helmet campaign

<e3ff12ff-aafe-4af7-acd4-76bc8dd9a975n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33573&group=uk.rec.cycling#33573

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 11:24:34 -0700 (PDT)
helmet campaign
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 18:24 UTC

West Mercia Police are supporting the National Police Chiefs’ Council (NPCC) mobile phone operation over the next two weeks, by targeting motorists who continue to use their handheld mobile phone at the wheel.

Distraction behind the wheel is such a significant contributory factor with regards to road collisions and this national operation demonstrates a willingness by police forces across the UK to tackle the issue of mobile phone use.

Motorists caught using a handheld mobile phone while driving face a £200 fine and six points on their licence. Drivers caught twice face a lengthy ban – which could also lead to a £1,000 fine. While new drivers - those who have passed within the last two years - face having their licence revoked if caught just once. New legislation adopted last year also makes it clearer that the law includes using phones for reasons such as internet use, checking notifications and uploading content whilst driving.

Over the past 3 years there have been 43 collisions in West Mercia where use of a mobile phone was listed as a contributory factor leading to 2 fatalities, 10 serious injuries and 52 slight injuries.

Supt Steph Brighton said: “Driving while distracted by a mobile phone is completely unacceptable and puts road users at risk of serious harm. Everyone knows the use of handheld mobile phones whilst driving is against the law and we are very clear that when you get behind the wheel it is your responsibility to stay focused and alert. This not only covers making and receiving calls but also the use of social media, messaging and streaming. The majority of drivers use the roads respectfully and adhere to the laws around mobile phone use but it is concerning that we still have some drivers across West Mercia who are willing to risk driving whilst distracted. This is a year round commitment for us to challenge this behaviour”.

https://www.westmercia.police.uk/news/west-mercia/news/2023/february/police-continue-to-crackdown-on-drivers-using-mobile-phone/

Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming" over cycling helmet campaign

<7477a395-eaee-4e92-95fb-e50241d449b7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33574&group=uk.rec.cycling#33574

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 11:27:10 -0700 (PDT)
helmet campaign
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 18:27 UTC

POLICE are targetting drivers using mobile phones as part of a national campaign.

Today (Monday, February 7) marks a three week campaign raising awareness of the dangers of using a mobile phone whilst driving.

Thames Valley Police and Hampshire Constabulary Joint Operations Roads Policing Unit will be supporting this campaign until February 27.

Through research, it has been shown that using a mobile phone can impair your ability to drive more than if you were driving whilst over the drink drive limit.

Police say it is one of the four factors, alongside drink and drug driving, speeding and not wearing a seatbelt, that can increase your chances of being seriously injured or even killed if involved in a road traffic collision..

Road Safety Sergeant David Hazlett, of the Joint Operations Roads Policing Unit said: “Driving whilst using a mobile device is dangerous and one of the four main contributory causes of fatal collisions.

“Whilst many vehicles now allow drivers to pair their phones and devices, people should not view ‘hands free’ as being a safe alternative."

Police research shows drivers are four times more likely to be involved in a collision due to distractions that mobile phones cause.

They also believe using hands free devices can also have an impact on your reaction times.

Adding: "Is it worth answering that call or can it wait? Texting, checking emails, scrolling through music and other device functions also distracts the driver and prevents their full attention which is needed for safe driving.

“It’s important to say that the vast majority of drivers don’t break the law but work still needs to be done to change the public’s minds and make mobile phone use in vehicles as socially unacceptable as drink and drug driving.”

https://www.bracknellnews.co.uk/news/19904817.thames-valley-police-crackdown-drivers-using-mobile-phones/

Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming" over cycling helmet campaign

<knnhl7Fnu0rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33601&group=uk.rec.cycling#33601

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
over cycling helmet campaign
Date: 29 Sep 2023 08:53:59 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 08:53 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> West Mercia Police are supporting the National Police Chiefs’ Council
> (NPCC) mobile phone operation over the next two weeks, by targeting
> motorists who continue to use their handheld mobile phone at the wheel.

> https://www.westmercia.police.uk/news/west-mercia/news/2023/february/police-continue-to-crackdown-on-drivers-using-mobile-phone/

This phone-using cyclist lost five teeth, you can see them falling in the
slo-mo:

<https://news.sky.com/video/cyclist-on-phone-crashes-into-gate-11252672>

--
Spike

Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming" over cycling helmet campaign

<0ddb866c-6ecb-4348-a61d-f3b70b3a5072n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33607&group=uk.rec.cycling#33607

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 03:41:25 -0700 (PDT)
helmet campaign
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 10:41 UTC

Motorists could face fines of up to £1,000 and could lose their licence particularly if they are a new driver.

West Mercia Police have welcomed the new legislation, saying there have been almost 50 accidents in the region in the last three years when mobile phones have been a cause.

From March 25, the Government strengthened the law to make it illegal to use a handheld mobile phone behind the wheel for virtually any use.

A national campaign has been launched by THINK! to raise awareness of the changes, which bans virtually any use such as taking photos or videos, scrolling through playlists, online chat functions or playing games.

Police say since 2019 there have been 49 collisions in West Mercia where use of a mobile phone was listed as a contributory factor, leading to nine serious injuries and 40 slight injuries.

Research has shown that drivers who use a mobile phone while driving are slower at recognising and reacting to hazards, fail to see road signs, fail to maintain proper lane position and steady speed and are much less aware of what’s happening on the road around them.

If caught using your mobile phone behind the wheel you could receive a fine up to £1,000 and six penalty points, which for a newly-qualified driver could mean losing their licence.

The only exemptions that still remain are hands-free use while driving if secured in a cradle, allowing sat nav use.

Superintendent Steph Brighton said: "Hands-free, although legal, is still not ideal as it will reduce your level of concentration while driving, putting yourself and other road users at risk. Drivers must always take responsibility for their driving and can still be charged with an offence if the police find them not to be in proper control of their vehicle. There is also an exemption that allows contactless payments such as those at a drive-through or on toll roads so long as the vehicle is stationary.

“Driving while distracted by a mobile phone is completely unacceptable and puts everyone on the roads at risk of serious harm. Everyone knows the use of handheld mobile phones whilst driving is against the law and we are very clear that when you get behind the wheel it is your responsibility to stay focused and alert.

"We welcome the new national changes as this is very clear that the law not only covers making and receiving calls but also the use of social media, messaging and streaming. It’s concerning that we still have drivers across West Mercia who are willing to risk driving whilst distracted and it is a year-round commitment for us to challenge this behaviour."

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/crime/2022/03/25/using-your-mobile-phone-while-driver-could-see-you-lose-your-licence-police-warn/

West Mercia police over-egg the cake

<knnppkFp6avU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33610&group=uk.rec.cycling#33610

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: West Mercia police over-egg the cake
Date: 29 Sep 2023 11:12:52 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 11:12 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> Motorists could face fines of up to £1,000 and could lose their licence
> particularly if they are a new driver.

> West Mercia Police have welcomed the new legislation, saying there have
> been almost 50 accidents in the region in the last three years when
> mobile phones have been a cause.

> Police say since 2019 there have been 49 collisions in West Mercia where
> use of a mobile phone was listed as a contributory factor, leading to
> nine serious injuries and 40 slight injuries.

> https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/crime/2022/03/25/using-your-mobile-phone-while-driver-could-see-you-lose-your-licence-police-warn/

49 collisions in almost five years?

What caused the other 10,000?

Hint: in the West Mercia area in 2018 alone there were 2500 reportable
collisions.

I think they are talking of a non-problem here.

Just think of the arguments that cyclists use when speaking against helmet
use: “it’s only a handful”, etc.

You fall for it all, don’t you.

--
Spike

Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming" over cycling helmet campaign

<1b4c9c5a-4fa6-4b62-9dba-b004bcc8a815n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33614&group=uk.rec.cycling#33614

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 05:33:49 -0700 (PDT)
helmet campaign
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 12:33 UTC

POLICE in Avon and Somerset are cracking down on drivers using their mobile phone or other devices as part of a nationwide three-week initiative from today (Monday, February 27).

It comes as figures show there have been more than 4,500 fatal or injury collisions on force area roads since the start of 2021. One in four involved a distraction, mobile phone use or a driver failing to look properly.

From today until March 12, officers will be carrying out high profile enforcement to reassure the public and help influence driver decisions around using a mobile.

The operation will highlight law changes around mobile phones, raising awareness that it is now illegal to hold and use a mobile phone, sat nav, tablet or any device that can send or receive data, while driving or riding a motorcycle. That includes unlocking the screen, checking the time, texting, making or rejecting calls, taking photos or videos, browsing the web and drafting or reading texts.

The law still applies if you are:

stopped at traffic lights;

queuing in traffic;

supervising a learner driver;

driving a car fitted with stop/start technology that switches the engine off when you come to a stop;

holding and using a device that’s offline or in flight mode.

Penalties range from six points and a £200 fine to being disqualified from driving and facing court, where a fine of £1,000 can be imposed (£2,500 if driving a lorry or bus).

The situations in which a device can be used are:

to call 999 or 112 in an emergency and it’s unsafe or impractical to stop;

you’re safely parked;

you’re making a contactless payment in a vehicle that’s not moving (for example at a drive through restaurant);

you’re using the device to park remotely.

Police are also encouraging people to share video evidence (dashcam, cyclecam, helmetcam and others) of drivers using their phone at www.avonandsomerset.police.uk/roads to help prosecute offenders.

Inspector John Shaddick, of Avon and Somerset's Tactical Support Team, said: “The majority of people agree that driving while distracted is dangerous and completely unacceptable behaviour.

"In the last 12 months, we’ve received 713 videos of drivers using their mobile phones from drivers with dash cams.

"We’ve taken police action in 607 of those cases, and are grateful to members of the public who are working with us to keep our roads safer.

“To those tempted to use their phones whilst driving, we say put it somewhere you can’t see, hear, or reach it and allow yourself a break to park up and check it if you need to."

https://www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk/news/23348881.crackdown-mobile-phone-drivers-avon-somerset/

Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming" over cycling helmet campaign

<kno60iFr3vnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33618&group=uk.rec.cycling#33618

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
over cycling helmet campaign
Date: 29 Sep 2023 14:41:22 GMT
<1b4c9c5a-4fa6-4b62-9dba-b004bcc8a815n@googlegroups.com>
 by: Spike - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 14:41 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> POLICE in Avon and Somerset are cracking down on drivers using their
> mobile phone or other devices as part of a nationwide three-week
> initiative from today (Monday, February 27).

> It comes as figures show there have been more than 4,500 fatal or injury
> collisions on force area roads since the start of 2021. One in four
> involved a distraction, mobile phone use or a driver failing to look properly.

The same could be said of the West Mercia Force area, except they let the
cat out of the bag by admitting a mere 49 accidents (data shows that’s out
of some 2500 accidents a year) were due to mobile phone use.

The standard way of hiding this sort of embarrassing data is to bury it in
a wider category, which is what the A&S Force have done with their
‘distraction’ label.

You fall for it every time, don’t you.

> https://www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk/news/23348881.crackdown-mobile-phone-drivers-avon-somerset/

--
Spike

Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming" over cycling helmet campaign

<4768c743-152f-4e65-9594-bd9fefa455c0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33622&group=uk.rec.cycling#33622

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 08:31:37 -0700 (PDT)
helmet campaign
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 15:31 UTC

Almost 50 drivers were caught every hour during a police crackdown on the illegal use of mobile phones at the wheel.

Officers handed out 7,966 fixed penalty notices for the offence in a week-long campaign in November. The tally – equivalent to a rate of 47 an hour – is the highest yet for a week of enforcement on “distraction driving”. By comparison, the totals for three previous initiatives were 2,690 in May 2015, 2,276 in September 2015, and 2,323 in May last year. The National Police Chiefs’ Council (NPCC) released the figures in advance of a fresh clampdown which starts on Monday.

Thirty-six forces across England, Wales and Northern Ireland took part in the November campaign, stopping 10,012 vehicles. As well as detecting nearly 8,000 mobile phone offences, police delivered hundreds of verbal warnings while 68 court summonses were issued. Officers also identified 117 other “distraction” offences.

It is illegal to use a handheld phone while driving, with those falling foul of the rules facing penalty points and a fine. Calls for efforts to curb the practice intensified last year in the wake of high-profile cases and research indicating that it is widespread.

This week, constabularies around the country will be running targeted operations and education campaigns. The crackdown will include patrols using unmarked vans, high vantage points and helmet cameras, as well as community “spotters” to highlight hotspots and report repeat offenders to police.

Suzette Davenport, the NPCC lead for roads policing, said: “This week, forces will be working to make driving distracted as socially unacceptable as drink-driving through enforcing strong deterrents and powerful messages to make people think twice about their driving habits.

“Encouraging results from last year’s campaign against mobile phone use show how effective new tactics and innovative approaches can be. Officers will continue to use intelligence-led tactics to target police activity and resources and catch repeat offenders.

“Forces will be working throughout the year to tackle this behaviour by motorists with national partners and the public. Remember: when at the wheel, your calls or texts can wait. Keep your eyes on the road.”

Under plans announced last year, the Department for Transport will introduce legislation doubling the punishment for using a handheld mobile phone while driving – with the fine rising from £100 to £200 and penalty points increasing from three to six.

Ministers have also set out proposals under which motorists who cause death while on a mobile phone will face tougher sentences.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jan/23/police-catch-47-drivers-an-hour-during-mobile-phone-crackdown

Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming" over chav-cycling helmet campaign

<kol3ovFolnnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34151&group=uk.rec.cycling#34151

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming" over
chav-cycling helmet campaign
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 15:01:04 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 14:01 UTC

On 26/09/2023 11:28 am, Simon Mason wrote:

> It's amazing how the effectiveness of helmets is so exagerated in the minds on the faithful. The number of people whose lives have been saved by helmets according to annecdote far exceeds the number of chav-cyclists who were dying to head injuries before helmets.
>
> So either most people "who would have died" without a helmet would not actually have died.
>
> OR
>
> Drivers are now knocking chav-cyclists down far more frequently safe in the knowledge that their helmets protect them.
>
> Do you wear a helmet when out walking? why not? head injuries per billion km are higher for pedestrians than for chavs-on-bikes.

To whom do you imagine that you are talking?

No-one here has EVER argued that fairy-cycle-helmets should be
compulsory for chavs like you to wear whilst riding chav-bikes.

Do you know what "Quixotic" means?

[No, of course, you don't. I shouldn't have asked.]

Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming" over cycling helmet campaign

<kol3s6FolnnU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34152&group=uk.rec.cycling#34152

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
helmet campaign
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 15:02:46 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 14:02 UTC

On 26/09/2023 06:37 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> ... when I was a boy I walked into a lamppost while chatting to my father....

That could explain a lot.

Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming" over cycling helmet campaign

<67ba807c-1887-4501-aed4-91721610853bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34159&group=uk.rec.cycling#34159

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 08:58:45 -0700 (PDT)
helmet campaign
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 15:58 UTC

[...]

<5548781e-28f0-45c4-871f-4288bd242c8an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34160&group=uk.rec.cycling#34160

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 08:59:52 -0700 (PDT)
helmet campaign
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 15:59 UTC

Motorists could face fines of up to £1,000 and could lose their licence particularly if they are a new driver.

West Mercia Police have welcomed the new legislation, saying there have been almost 50 accidents in the region in the last three years when mobile phones have been a cause.

From March 25, the Government strengthened the law to make it illegal to use a handheld mobile phone behind the wheel for virtually any use.

[...]

<ddf63fe7-9ac3-4c5e-92d6-837f35dfab6an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34162&group=uk.rec.cycling#34162

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 09:01:34 -0700 (PDT)
helmet campaign
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 16:01 UTC

Police say nearly 6,000 motorists have been caught using mobile phones illegally at the wheel during a major crackdown.

In a four-week period in March this year, more than 200 motorists were spotted each day - the equivalent of one every seven minutes.

Since 1 March, motorists who have fallen foul of the law have faced a £200 fine and six points on their licence.

The new tougher punishments mean that new drivers risk losing their licence for sending a single text.

Figures obtained from police forces across Britain show there were 5,977 instances of illegal mobile use by drivers during the crackdown, from 1 to 28 March.

Of the forces that provided information, the Metropolitan Police registered the highest number at 2,037, meaning more than 70 drivers were caught using a handheld phone on London's roads each day.

The lowest figure was provided by Gwent in Monmouthshire, with 22 reported cases - less than one person a day.
Incidents include a man doing his online banking while driving on the M5 near Birmingham, and a driver on his phone while behind the wheel of a school minibus with 10 children on board in Manchester.

While the number of drivers fined for using mobiles in their cars has fallen in recent years, it is argued this is down to the reduction in the number of full-time dedicated road policing officers rather than better driver safety standards.

Road safety charity Brake called driver distraction a "growing menace" and called for the £200 fine to be "significantly increased".

Twenty-two people were killed and 99 seriously injured in accidents on Britain's roads in 2015, with motorist mobile phone use a contributory factor.

Police are keen to show mobile phone use is not a minor offence and say they want to make it as "socially unacceptable" as drink-driving.

Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming" over cycling helmet campaign

<kolb9oFq0r8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34167&group=uk.rec.cycling#34167

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
helmet campaign
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 17:09:29 +0100
<1b4c9c5a-4fa6-4b62-9dba-b004bcc8a815n@googlegroups.com>
<4768c743-152f-4e65-9594-bd9fefa455c0n@googlegroups.com>
<ddf63fe7-9ac3-4c5e-92d6-837f35dfab6an@googlegroups.com>
 by: JNugent - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 16:09 UTC

On 10/10/2023 05:01 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> Police say nearly 6,000 motorists have been caught using mobile phones illegally at the wheel during a major crackdown.
>
> In a four-week period in March this year, more than 200 motorists were spotted each day - the equivalent of one every seven minutes.
>
> Since 1 March, motorists who have fallen foul of the law have faced a £200 fine and six points on their licence.
>
> The new tougher punishments mean that new drivers risk losing their licence for sending a single text.
>
> Figures obtained from police forces across Britain show there were 5,977 instances of illegal mobile use by drivers during the crackdown, from 1 to 28 March.
>
> Of the forces that provided information, the Metropolitan Police registered the highest number at 2,037, meaning more than 70 drivers were caught using a handheld phone on London's roads each day.
>
> The lowest figure was provided by Gwent in Monmouthshire, with 22 reported cases - less than one person a day.
> Incidents include a man doing his online banking while driving on the M5 near Birmingham, and a driver on his phone while behind the wheel of a school minibus with 10 children on board in Manchester.
>
> While the number of drivers fined for using mobiles in their cars has fallen in recent years, it is argued this is down to the reduction in the number of full-time dedicated road policing officers rather than better driver safety standards.
>
> Road safety charity Brake called driver distraction a "growing menace" and called for the £200 fine to be "significantly increased".
>
> Twenty-two people were killed and 99 seriously injured in accidents on Britain's roads in 2015, with motorist mobile phone use a contributory factor.
>
> Police are keen to show mobile phone use is not a minor offence and say they want to make it as "socially unacceptable" as drink-driving.

It's easy enough to get Siri to send your texts. And to read out the
incoming ones.

Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming" over cycling helmet campaign

<kolbbmFq0r8U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34168&group=uk.rec.cycling#34168

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
helmet campaign
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 17:10:32 +0100
<1b4c9c5a-4fa6-4b62-9dba-b004bcc8a815n@googlegroups.com>
<4768c743-152f-4e65-9594-bd9fefa455c0n@googlegroups.com>
<ddf63fe7-9ac3-4c5e-92d6-837f35dfab6an@googlegroups.com>
 by: JNugent - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 16:10 UTC

On 10/10/2023 05:01 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> Police say nearly 6,000 motorists have been caught using mobile phones illegally at the wheel during a major crackdown.
>
> In a four-week period in March this year, more than 200 motorists were spotted each day - the equivalent of one every seven minutes.
>
> Since 1 March, motorists who have fallen foul of the law have faced a £200 fine and six points on their licence.
>
> The new tougher punishments mean that new drivers risk losing their licence for sending a single text.
>
> Figures obtained from police forces across Britain show there were 5,977 instances of illegal mobile use by drivers during the crackdown, from 1 to 28 March.
>
> Of the forces that provided information, the Metropolitan Police registered the highest number at 2,037, meaning more than 70 drivers were caught using a handheld phone on London's roads each day.
>
> The lowest figure was provided by Gwent in Monmouthshire, with 22 reported cases - less than one person a day.
> Incidents include a man doing his online banking while driving on the M5 near Birmingham, and a driver on his phone while behind the wheel of a school minibus with 10 children on board in Manchester.
>
> While the number of drivers fined for using mobiles in their cars has fallen in recent years, it is argued this is down to the reduction in the number of full-time dedicated road policing officers rather than better driver safety standards.
>
> Road safety charity Brake called driver distraction a "growing menace" and called for the £200 fine to be "significantly increased".
>
> Twenty-two people were killed and 99 seriously injured in accidents on Britain's roads in 2015, with motorist mobile phone use a contributory factor.
>
> Police are keen to show mobile phone use is not a minor offence and say they want to make it as "socially unacceptable" as drink-driving.

Are the "Police" aware that using a mobile telephone while driving isn't
even illegal?

Come to that, are you?

[Yes, that's rhetorical.]

Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming" over cycling helmet campaign

<c632d6f6-2f64-46a9-8457-b5ddc8668e0bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34172&group=uk.rec.cycling#34172

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 09:20:50 -0700 (PDT)
helmet campaign
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 16:20 UTC

Illegal phone use by drivers at the wheel has risen significantly in the UK over just two years.

Almost one-third (31%) of 1,700 motorists admitted using handheld mobile phones on the road - up 23% since 2014, an RAC study revealed.

A staggering 12% even described using their mobile whilst behind the wheel as a habit.

The figures mean use of handheld mobiles now represents "the biggest road safety concern among motorists today", according to the RAC.

Following the release of the figures, ITV News looks back at some of the tragic deaths caused by mobile-phone using drivers over the past two years.

In June 2014, 14-year-old Liberty Baker was on her way to school in Witney when a car mounted a kerb and ploughed into her and three others.

A court heard the 19-year-old driver was probably checking a text messaged when he knocked down Liberty, who died days later.

In 2015, Robert Blackwell was jailed for four years for causing death by dangerous driving.

After the RAC study, Liberty's father Paul told GMB the figures were "devastating".

"Every day you see it on the roads, on the motorways. There is just no fear now of being caught", he said.

Laura Thomas was knocked down when a lorry driver hit her broken-down car on the A5 in Shropshire.

Ian Glover admitted he had been browsing pornographic websites on his phone when he ploughed into the vehicle, which flew into Ms Thomas, on July 21, 2013.

Her fiancee, Lewis Pagett, was also seriously injured.

Glover, 44, was jailed for five years.

Off-duty police officer Sharon Garrett, 44, was killed when a lorry driver who was texting collided with three vehicles.

Danny Warby, 28, was jailed for six years after the collision in Wyton, Cambridgeshire, in June 2014.

Warby had only been driving for two minutes when the collision occurred.

Mother-of-two Ms Garrett's death was described as "devastating" by her family.
A van driver with eight previous convictions for using his mobile phone at the wheel knocked down and killed cyclist Lee Martin seconds after reading a text message.

Christopher Gard, 30, was jailed for nine years after he ploughed into the father-of-two, 48, who had been competing in a ten-mile time trial event.

The crash happened on August 12, 2015, in Bentley, Hampshire, just six weeks after Gard was allowed to keep his licence by magistrates.

Under current legislation, drivers are handed three points and a £100 fine if convicted of using a mobile phone at the wheel.

In the past decade at least 205 people have been killed in Britain in crashes involving drivers using handheld phones.

Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming" over cycling helmet campaign

<kolcfrFq6ooU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34176&group=uk.rec.cycling#34176

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
helmet campaign
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 17:29:48 +0100
<1b4c9c5a-4fa6-4b62-9dba-b004bcc8a815n@googlegroups.com>
<4768c743-152f-4e65-9594-bd9fefa455c0n@googlegroups.com>
<ddf63fe7-9ac3-4c5e-92d6-837f35dfab6an@googlegroups.com>
<c632d6f6-2f64-46a9-8457-b5ddc8668e0bn@googlegroups.com>
 by: JNugent - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 16:29 UTC

On 10/10/2023 05:20 pm, Simon Mason wrote:
> Illegal phone use by drivers at the wheel has risen significantly in the UK over just two years.
>
> Almost one-third (31%) of 1,700 motorists admitted using handheld mobile phones on the road - up 23% since 2014, an RAC study revealed.
>
> A staggering 12% even described using their mobile whilst behind the wheel as a habit.
>
> The figures mean use of handheld mobiles now represents "the biggest road safety concern among motorists today", according to the RAC.
>
> Following the release of the figures, ITV News looks back at some of the tragic deaths caused by mobile-phone using drivers over the past two years.
>
> In June 2014, 14-year-old Liberty Baker was on her way to school in Witney when a car mounted a kerb and ploughed into her and three others.
>
> A court heard the 19-year-old driver was probably checking a text messaged when he knocked down Liberty, who died days later.
>
> In 2015, Robert Blackwell was jailed for four years for causing death by dangerous driving.
>
> After the RAC study, Liberty's father Paul told GMB the figures were "devastating".
>
> "Every day you see it on the roads, on the motorways. There is just no fear now of being caught", he said.
>
> Laura Thomas was knocked down when a lorry driver hit her broken-down car on the A5 in Shropshire.
>
> Ian Glover admitted he had been browsing pornographic websites on his phone when he ploughed into the vehicle, which flew into Ms Thomas, on July 21, 2013.
>
> Her fiancee, Lewis Pagett, was also seriously injured.
>
> Glover, 44, was jailed for five years.
>
> Off-duty police officer Sharon Garrett, 44, was killed when a lorry driver who was texting collided with three vehicles.
>
> Danny Warby, 28, was jailed for six years after the collision in Wyton, Cambridgeshire, in June 2014.
>
> Warby had only been driving for two minutes when the collision occurred.
>
> Mother-of-two Ms Garrett's death was described as "devastating" by her family.
> A van driver with eight previous convictions for using his mobile phone at the wheel knocked down and killed cyclist Lee Martin seconds after reading a text message.
>
> Christopher Gard, 30, was jailed for nine years after he ploughed into the father-of-two, 48, who had been competing in a ten-mile time trial event.
>
> The crash happened on August 12, 2015, in Bentley, Hampshire, just six weeks after Gard was allowed to keep his licence by magistrates.
>
> Under current legislation, drivers are handed three points and a £100 fine if convicted of using a mobile phone at the wheel.

Are you even sure that that's an offence?

> In the past decade at least 205 people have been killed in Britain in crashes involving drivers using handheld phones.

Ah...

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Road safety organisation accused of "victim-blaming" over cycling helmet campaign