From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Alcohol and cycling: a dangerous mix
Date: 29 Sep 2023 22:02:01 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 22:02 UTC

Alcohol is the third highest contributory factor to cyclists being killed
on the roads with 19% of cyclists who were tested for their blood alcohol
level being found to be over the drink drive limit.

It is important to note that the test is whether or not the cyclist is fit
to ride rather than their being a legal limit of 35 microgrammes per 100
millilitres of breath as there is for drivers of motor vehicles.

The maximum penalty for cycling under the influence is £1000 however, a
cyclist who is guilty of cycling under the influence of drink or drugs can
also be found guilty of dangerous or careless cycling under sections 28 and
29.

--
Spike

Re: Alcohol and cycling: a dangerous mix

<knp55uF1fjiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33659&group=uk.rec.cycling#33659

From: jennings&co@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Alcohol and cycling: a dangerous mix
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 18:33:19 -0500
 by: JNugent - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 23:33 UTC

On 29/09/2023 17:02, Spike wrote:

> Alcohol is the third highest contributory factor to cyclists being killed
> on the roads with 19% of cyclists who were tested for their blood alcohol
> level being found to be over the drink drive limit.

One of them used to BOAST about it here, some years ago.

Before he had more imprtant things to worry about.

> It is important to note that the test is whether or not the cyclist is fit
> to ride rather than their being a legal limit of 35 microgrammes per 100
> millilitres of breath as there is for drivers of motor vehicles.
>
> The maximum penalty for cycling under the influence is £1000 however, a
> cyclist who is guilty of cycling under the influence of drink or drugs can
> also be found guilty of dangerous or careless cycling under sections 28 and
> 29.

Re: Alcohol and cycling: a dangerous mix

<knq43qF65rjU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33668&group=uk.rec.cycling#33668

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 30 Sep 2023 08:21:14 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 08:21 UTC

JNugent <jennings&co@mail.com> wrote:
> On 29/09/2023 17:02, Spike wrote:
>>
>> Alcohol is the third highest contributory factor to cyclists being killed
>> on the roads with 19% of cyclists who were tested for their blood alcohol
>> level being found to be over the drink drive limit.
>
> One of them used to BOAST about it here, some years ago.
>
> Before he had more important things to worry about.

Too often we read of cyclists being killed, riding bicycles having no
lights, on an unlit road, and the cyclist having no helmet or hi-viz,
having just left the pub at closing time.

--
Spike