Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 13:43:21 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Drivers willing to ditch vehicles for electric bikes as car ownership
rates could plummet
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 20:43 UTC

Experts are calling for more incentives to help motorists switch to e-bikes

Nearly half of car owners in the UK are willing to ditch their vehicles for electric bikes for shorter journeys, according to new data.

Around 47 per cent of British car owners said they would be open to using electric bikes to supplement their car usage.

It is estimated that nine per cent of UK car owners also own an e-bike, with total sales hitting £310million last year.

Organisations and local authorities have been implementing measures to reduce emissions and boost the uptake of more sustainable methods.

People who do scrap their vehicles can benefit from money off electric bikes and e-scooters, as well as car and van clubs.

Despite the offers on offer, research from Auto Trader suggests more than three-quarters of people have never owned nor considered purchasing an e-bike.

Ian Plummer, commercial director for Auto Trader, acknowledged that there were still some barriers to entry, suggesting that Government incentives could help people switch.

He added: “Having access to a car is still of great importance for consumers across the UK and many rely on this form of transportation to get around in their day-to-day life.

However, our research revealed that many also recognise the benefits that micro mobility options such as e-bikes can bring both from a cost and environmental perspective, along with speed for particular types of journeys.

“Consumers understand that by making more positive changes and using e-bikes where possible, can help reduce pollution on the roads and combat climate change.”

Based on Auto Trader data, the cheapest electric bike for sale is £999 for a Batribike Omega, while the most expensive is £13,500 for a high-end Trek Fuel Exe.

Recent research from the National Travel Survey found that car ownership is still vital to everyday life, with an average of 337 trips every year per person.

Of the total number of trips, around 151 trips were taken to go shopping, outranking commuting or travelling for leisure.

Michelle Jakeway, head of strategic marketing partnerships at Raleigh, commented on the research, saying efforts are being made to make electric mobility more attractive to consumers.

She said: “E-bikes have a unique role to play in helping to reduce our transport emissions, whilst at the same time reducing congestion and improving air quality.

“The findings of this report, alongside the demand that we see from consumers, highlights strong appetite for e-bikes.

https://www.gbnews.com/lifestyle/car-ownership-rates-ditch-car-electric-bike

Re: Drivers willing to ditch vehicles for electric bikes as car ownership rates could plummet

<knrh7pFd5cpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33713&group=uk.rec.cycling#33713

From: jennings&co@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
rates could plummet
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 16:11:23 -0500
 by: JNugent - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 21:11 UTC

On 30/09/2023 15:43, Simon Mason wrote:

> Experts are calling for more incentives to help motorists switch to e-bikes
>
> Nearly half of car owners in the UK are willing to ditch their vehicles for electric bikes for shorter journeys, according to new data.
>
> Around 47 per cent of British car owners said they would be open to using electric bikes to supplement their car usage.

"Ditch" or "supplement"?

You appear to have great difficulty with English words and their meanings.

Re: Drivers willing to ditch vehicles for electric bikes as car ownership rates could plummet

<7477cd2c-b3d0-4d24-ac1b-20e4fe8db578n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33714&group=uk.rec.cycling#33714

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 14:18:42 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Drivers willing to ditch vehicles for electric bikes as car
ownership rates could plummet
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 21:18 UTC

QUOTE: “Consumers understand that by making more positive changes and using e-bikes where possible, can help reduce pollution on the roads and combat climate change.”ENDS

Reading GBeebies "news" output so you don't have to!