* athener calls Amnesty International House of Pancakes

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Cyclist suffered seven fractured ribs after being knocked off bike by motorist

SubjectAuthor
* Cyclist suffered seven fractured ribs after being knocked off bike by motoristSimon Mason
+- Re: Cyclist suffered seven fractured ribs after beingSpike
+- Re: Cyclist suffered seven fractured ribs after being knocked offSimon Mason
+- Re: Cyclist suffered seven fractured ribs after being knocked offJNugent
> [...]
| `* Re: Cyclist suffered seven fractured ribs after being knocked offSimon Mason
|  +- Re: Cyclist suffered seven fractured ribs after beingSpike
|  `* Re: Cyclist suffered seven fractured ribs after being knocked offSimon Mason
|   +- Re: Cyclist suffered seven fractured ribs after beingSpike
|   +* Re: Cyclist suffered seven fractured ribs after being knocked offSimon Mason
|   |+- Re: Cyclist suffered seven fractured ribs after beingSpike
|   |`* Re: Cyclist suffered seven fractured ribs after being knocked offSimon Mason
|   `* Re: Cyclist suffered seven fractured ribs after being knocked off bike by motoriSimon Mason
+* Re: Cyclist suffered seven fractured ribs after being knocked offSimon Mason
+* Re: Cyclist suffered seven fractured ribs after being knocked offSimon Mason
`- Re: Cyclist suffered seven fractured ribs after being knocked offSimon Mason

Pages:12345
Re: Cyclist suffered seven fractured ribs after being knocked off bike by motorist

<knsqq4FjfghU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33733&group=uk.rec.cycling#33733

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Cyclist suffered seven fractured ribs after being
knocked off bike by motorist
Date: 1 Oct 2023 09:00:52 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 09:00 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> The symptoms of MDDS usually involve a sense of rocking or swaying like
> the individual is still on the ship. It is normal for any individual to
> feel this way for a few hours or days after leaving the ship. However,
> people with MDDS usually have a long-term persistence of the symptoms
> lasting weeks to months or years.
>
> Symptoms may be experienced while sitting and standing still and
> sometimes while walking. Symptoms often settle while moving and while in
> a moving vehicle such as a car or on a boat. In more severe cases, the
> disequilibrium may affect mobility.
>
> Generally, MDSS symptoms settle within 1–3 months. In some cases, it may
> persist for longer. MDSS is more common in women.
>
> I HAD MINE FOR 15 MONTHS.

There are two different medical conditions mentioned above, twice each:
MDDS (properly, MdDS) and MDSS (properly, MDSs). The inexperienced could
easily confuse the two.

Which did you have for 15 months?

--
Spike

Re: Cyclist suffered seven fractured ribs after being knocked off bike by motorist

<b1545b30-ed85-4087-a035-dc26ef4a2412n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33739&group=uk.rec.cycling#33739

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 03:44:15 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Cyclist suffered seven fractured ribs after being knocked off
bike by motorist
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 10:44 UTC

MdDS, also known as “Sickness of Disembarkment”, is a neurological disorder of perceived motion. The interesting thing about MdDS is that individuals who have it experience their symptoms when they are not moving, unlike many of the other vestibular disorders that are worse when we move our head or eyes. So, when someone has MdDS they actually feel better while they are in continuous motion such as while being in a moving vehicle (as a passenger or driver).

The earliest known description of MdDS in Western European literature comes from 1689 with William III of Orange who describes how, after crossing the English Channel from the Netherlands to England, the soldiers experienced severe ‘dissiness’ described as, “‘the very Ground seem’d to rowl up and down for some days, according to the manner of the Waves,’.” 1
With Mal de Débarquement Syndrome Here Are Some Of The Common Symptoms:

A persistent sensation of rocking, swaying, and/or bobbing.
Difficulty maintaining balance.
Impaired cognitive function.
Anxiety and/or depression.
Fatigue.
Headache (including migraine).
Symptom intensity is highly variable among patients and for some can be quite disabling.
Patients are usually relieved while in motion (i.e. riding in a car). 1-4

Presently, there is no one test that can provide a definitive diagnosis, but it can be diagnosed by a primary care provider, neurologist, or otolaryngologist (ENT) if there is a history of:

Symptoms or rocking, bobbing, or swaying, etc (non-vertigo); starting immediately after travel by boat, train, plane, or car; that persists for more than 48 hours.
Feeling of rocking, bobbing, or swaying that improves when the affected person is in continuous motion (i.e. in a moving car).

Along with ruling out other medical problems.

Re: Cyclist suffered seven fractured ribs after being knocked off bike by motorist

<knt2alFkk65U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33742&group=uk.rec.cycling#33742

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
knocked off bike by motorist
Date: 1 Oct 2023 11:09:09 GMT
<b1545b30-ed85-4087-a035-dc26ef4a2412n@googlegroups.com>
 by: Spike - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 11:09 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> MdDS, also known as “Sickness of Disembarkment”, is a neurological
> disorder of perceived motion.>

Unattributed article No.34

--
Spike

Re: Cyclist suffered seven fractured ribs after being knocked off bike by motorist

<f7270627-cd60-46f1-8efb-5544df4dd0b5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33747&group=uk.rec.cycling#33747

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 04:46:14 -0700 (PDT)
bike by motorist
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 11:46 UTC

Mal de Débarquement syndrome (MdDS) is persistent dizziness, disequilibrium and rocking sensation (like being on a boat) on return to a stable environment (land) following motion adaptation. Sea legs or land sickness is a common sensation after being aboard an ocean liner. Most people adapt from sea to land within several days which is normal, but some people do not adapt, and we call this Triggered/Prolonged Mal de Débarquement syndrome.

Re: Cyclist suffered seven fractured ribs after being knocked off bike by motorist

<kntbv8Fm3vuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33748&group=uk.rec.cycling#33748

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
knocked off bike by motorist
Date: 1 Oct 2023 13:53:44 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 13:53 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mal de Débarquement syndrome (MdDS) is persistent dizziness,
> disequilibrium and rocking sensation (like being on a boat) on return to
> a stable environment

Unattributed article No.35

--
Spike

Re: Cyclist suffered seven fractured ribs after being knocked off bike by motorist

<5fb33cde-c554-437b-854f-d490b357c55dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33753&group=uk.rec.cycling#33753

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 08:13:54 -0700 (PDT)
bike by motorist
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 15:13 UTC

Mal de Debarquement Syndrome (MdDS) commonly occurs after sea voyages and is primarily characterized by a sense of rocking, swaying, and bobbing (“sea legs”). Generally, these sensations may only last for minutes to days. However, for some travelers these sensations can last for months to years. This is so-called persistent MdDS. If this occurs, the primary symptoms of rocking are usually accompanied by a number of equilibrium, cognitive, and psychological dysfunctions, which may severely reduce a person’s quality of life and ability to work. Although MdDS affects all ages, the average age is at middle 40s. More women than man are affected by this syndrome.

Until now, there has been no known treatment for this syndrome.

Re: Cyclist suffered seven fractured ribs after being knocked off bike by motorist

<knthspFn20cU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33758&group=uk.rec.cycling#33758

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
knocked off bike by motorist
Date: 1 Oct 2023 15:34:49 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 15:34 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mal de Debarquement Syndrome (MdDS) commonly occurs after sea voyages and
> is primarily characterized by a sense of rocking, swaying, and bobbing
> (“sea legs”). Generally, these sensations may only last for minutes to
> days. However, for some travelers these sensations can last for months to
> years. This is so-called persistent MdDS. If this occurs, the primary
> symptoms of rocking are usually accompanied by a number of equilibrium,
> cognitive, and psychological dysfunctions, which may severely reduce a
> person’s quality of life and ability to work. Although MdDS affects all
> ages, the average age is at middle 40s. More women than man are affected by this syndrome.
>
> Until now, there has been no known treatment for this syndrome.

Has anyone tried jumping off a bridge as a cure?

Unattributed article No.36

--
Spike

Re: Cyclist suffered seven fractured ribs after being knocked off bike by motorist

<kntqi2FocfnU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33764&group=uk.rec.cycling#33764

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
knocked off bike by motorist
Date: 1 Oct 2023 18:02:42 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 18:02 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> A UK patient perspective on Mal de Debarquement Syndrome.

> https://crowd.science/…/research-into-the-pathophysiology

37 posts on the subject:

36 Unattributed, 1 Attributed

--
Spike

Re: Cyclist suffered seven fractured ribs after being knocked off bike by motorist

<466b66f7-ff1e-4c76-bb89-721d32efaec8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33766&group=uk.rec.cycling#33766

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 11:34:41 -0700 (PDT)
bike by motorist
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 18:34 UTC

Individuals with MDDS complain of dizziness and imbalance after
returning from being on a prolonged voyage, such as after taking a
cruise (also can occur with long plane or car rides).

Symptoms:
• Dizzy and off balance once back “on land”
• “Rocking” or “swaying” sensation
• May last weeks to months (years in rare cases)
What are possible causes of MDDS?
• Vestibular (balance) system in inner ear does not adjust once back
on land
• Form of migraine syndrome
• Heredity / Hormonal cause (occurs more often in women than men)
• Inability to disregard our body’s reactions that were developed to
prevent falling

A person is diagnosed with MDDS by ruling out other causes of
dizziness and unsteadiness. The onset of dizziness is usually
associated with recent pro- longed travel. It differs from motion sickness
because people with MDDS feel better in a moving car, plane or boat.
Some people with MDDS say that their symptoms feel better when they
board a ship again

Re: Cyclist suffered seven fractured ribs after being knocked off bike by motorist

<knu1spFpgd0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33769&group=uk.rec.cycling#33769

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
knocked off bike by motorist
Date: 1 Oct 2023 20:07:53 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 20:07 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> Individuals with MDDS complain of dizziness and imbalance after
> returning from being on a prolonged voyage, such as after taking a
> cruise (also can occur with long plane or car rides).

38 posts on the subject:

37 Unattributed, 1 Attributed

--
Spike

Re: Cyclist suffered seven fractured ribs after being knocked off bike by motorist

<ae52e810-abb5-42aa-a108-abf2f2745bf5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33775&group=uk.rec.cycling#33775

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 13:32:18 -0700 (PDT)
bike by motorist
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 20:32 UTC

Mal de débarquement syndrome (MdDS) is a rare neurologic disorder characterized by a persistent false sense of motion, often including sensations of rocking, bobbing, and swaying. The exact cause of MdDS is not yet known, but symptoms are thought to stem from issues with the vestibular system.

Symptom onset usually comes after a period of prolonged passive motion, such as a cruise, a flight, or a long car or train ride. Mal de débarquement syndrome takes its name from a French term, meaning “sickness of disembarkment.” Many people with mal de débarquement syndrome describe the persistent sense of motion as like being on a boat even when sitting still. Some experience dizziness, confusion, and anxiety as a result of this condition.

Almost any kind of prolonged motion can lead to MdDS, but doctors don’t yet understand what causes the condition. Many researchers believe it is caused by issues with the vestibular system. During passive motion, the vestibular system helps the brain regularly update and process where the body is in space (known as proprioception). This enables a person to maintain their balance even while the surface they are on is moving, such as while on a boat or plane.

Doctors are unsure what causes the brain’s sudden inability to process and adapt in cases of MdDS. Typically, the vestibular system is able to compensate and recognize when passive motion has stopped. Most cases of MdDS occur following extended periods of travel, but length of travel is not believed to contribute to its severity or duration.

People with migraines are more likely to experience mal de débarquement syndrome. The connection between these two conditions has not yet been established.

Re: Cyclist suffered seven fractured ribs after being knocked off bike by motorist

<knu49jFpsfmU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33783&group=uk.rec.cycling#33783

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
knocked off bike by motorist
Date: 1 Oct 2023 20:48:51 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 20:48 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mal de débarquement syndrome (MdDS) is a rare neurologic disorder
> characterized by a persistent false sense of motion, often including
> sensations of rocking, bobbing, and swaying.

Sounds like the aftermath of an evening spent swilling home-brew while in a
garage pit.

39 posts on the subject:

38 Unattributed, 1 Attributed

--
Spike

Re: Cyclist suffered seven fractured ribs after being knocked off bike by motorist

<abc8d73a-d2b7-47f3-94b3-621df50c4900n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33786&group=uk.rec.cycling#33786

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 13:54:47 -0700 (PDT)
bike by motorist
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 20:54 UTC

On Wednesday, September 20, 2023 at 8:52:19 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
QUOTE:
> A DRIVER who knocked down a cyclist at a ‘nightmare junction’, leaving the rider with fractured ribs and an infection in one lung, has been fined £2,000. ENDS

Has he paid it all in full yet? It's been a while.