You must be present to win.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Unmarked cabs spotting Hull drivers after police tell motorist 'you might want to put your cuppa down!'

SubjectAuthor
* Unmarked cabs spotting Hull drivers after police tell motorist 'youSimon Mason
+- Re: Unmarked cabs spotting Hull drivers after police tell motoristJNugent
`* Re: Unmarked cabs spotting Hull drivers after police tell motoristSimon Mason
 +* Re: Unmarked cabs spotting Hull drivers after police tellSpike
 |`- Re: Unmarked cabs spotting Hull drivers after police tell motoristJNugent
 +* Re: Unmarked cabs spotting Hull drivers after police tell motoristSimon Mason
 |+- Re: Unmarked cabs spotting Hull drivers after police tellSpike
 |`- Re: Unmarked cabs spotting Hull drivers after police tell motoristJNugent
 +* Re: Unmarked cabs spotting Hull drivers after police tell motoristSimon Mason
 |`- Re: Unmarked cabs spotting Hull drivers after police tell motorist 'you might waSimon Mason
 +* Re: Unmarked cabs spotting Hull drivers after police tell motoristSimon Mason
 |`* Re: Unmarked cabs spotting Hull drivers after police tell motoristSimon Mason
 | `* Re: Unmarked cabs spotting Hull drivers after police tellSpike
 |  `- Re: Unmarked cabs spotting Hull drivers after police tell motoristPeter Keller
 `- Re: Unmarked cabs spotting Hull drivers after police tell motoristSimon Mason

1
Unmarked cabs spotting Hull drivers after police tell motorist 'you might want to put your cuppa down!'

<4b9714ee-c0a3-49aa-b92e-7f407e238888n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33593&group=uk.rec.cycling#33593

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 00:21:53 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Unmarked cabs spotting Hull drivers after police tell motorist 'you
might want to put your cuppa down!'
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 07:21 UTC

Police will be using unmarked HGV cabs to crack down on illegal driving on the M62, East Yorkshire drivers are being warned.

Officers launched the new campaign today by releasing footage of a van driver using both hands to hold and drink from an open cup of tea. In the footage, the unmarked cab pulls alongside the van before an officer tells the van driver: "You might want to put your cup of tea down and concentrate on driving."

The van driver was issued a traffic offence report for not being in proper control of his vehicle. This resulted in a £100 fine and three points being added to his licence.

It was one of hundreds of incidents where drivers were caught flouting the rules of the road during "Operation Tramline" on the M6 last summer. Motorists were caught at the wheel using phones and without seatbelts on.

Now, police have launched "Operation Pennine" – a month of action dedicated to catching bad drivers along the length of the M62. East Yorkshire will be targeted along with other counties along the route.

Officers will be using unmarked HGV cabs provided by the National Highways agency, which manages the M62. The operation aims to help to reduce the number of accidents on the motorway.

Hundreds of thousands of drivers travel on the M62 every day. In 2022, there were 28,607 incidents, including 1,651 collisions. West Yorkshire Police recorded 105 people not wearing a seatbelt, 99 using a mobile phone at the wheel and 32 drivers not in proper control of their vehicle. Officers also stopped 279 people for speeding.

Nicola Clayton, a regional safety manager for National Highways, said: "Hundreds of thousands of drivers use our roads every day and the vast majority are sensible behind the wheel. However, some drivers are putting themselves and others at risk through using mobile phones, driving without a seatbelt or even handling a boiling hot drink at the wheel.

"We are committed to reducing the number of people killed or seriously injured while travelling on our roads by 50 per cent by 2025 and we have a long-term ambition for zero harm. To achieve that, we need to tackle the unsafe driving behaviour that we sadly still encounter.

"Through this month of action, we want to encourage motorists to think about their driving and to adopt safer behaviours. Those who continue to pose a risk should be aware that we are working with our police partners to make sure they are spotted and prevented from causing serious harm to themselves or others."

Meanwhile, police and traffic officers will be carrying out vehicle checks and offering advice to drivers at motorway service stations. Sergeant Ryan Burt, of West Yorkshire Police’s roads policing unit, said: "By having an officer observing and filming from inside a HGV cab, we can see what lorry drivers are doing, as well as other drivers.

"We are involved in regular activity throughout the year and repeatedly see drivers using their mobile phones or in other ways not being in proper control of their vehicle. A driver not having their full attention on the road can have devastating repercussions, and when a heavy goods vehicle is involved, this can be even more catastrophic.

"We need everyone to think about their own behaviour, make sure they drive at an appropriate speed and make sure their vehicle is in good working order. If drivers are not maintaining their vehicles or driving in an unsafe way then we will take action to keep both the driver and other road users safe."

The driver caught sipping tea at the wheel was spotted on the M6 in Cheshire.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/unmarked-cabs-spotting-hull-drivers-8781557

Re: Unmarked cabs spotting Hull drivers after police tell motorist 'you might want to put your cuppa down!'

<knopivFu03uU8@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33638&group=uk.rec.cycling#33638

From: jennings&co@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Unmarked cabs spotting Hull drivers after police tell motorist
'you might want to put your cuppa down!'
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 15:15:28 -0500
 by: JNugent - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 20:15 UTC

On 29/09/2023 02:21, Simon Mason wrote:
> [...]
>
> "We are involved in regular activity throughout the year and repeatedly see drivers using their mobile phones or in other ways not being in proper control of their vehicle. A driver not having their full attention on the road can have devastating repercussions, and when a heavy goods vehicle is involved, this can be even more catastrophic.
>
> "We need everyone to think about their own behaviour, make sure they drive at an appropriate speed and make sure their vehicle is in good working order. If drivers are not maintaining their vehicles or driving in an unsafe way then we will take action to keep both the driver and other road users safe."
>
> The driver caught sipping tea at the wheel was spotted on the M6 in Cheshire.

Is that illegal?

What Statute / what Regulation?

> https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/unmarked-cabs-spotting-hull-drivers-8781557

Oh... 'Ull...

I suppose it doesn't have to make sense and shouldn't be expected to.

Re: Unmarked cabs spotting Hull drivers after police tell motorist 'you might want to put your cuppa down!'

<9e5082cc-3ec6-4f21-ac9a-ab3ea9bbbcddn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33647&group=uk.rec.cycling#33647

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 13:41:46 -0700 (PDT)
'you might want to put your cuppa down!'
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 20:41 UTC

7 hrs ago

All the offences are serious but I find it particularly mind blowing how/why people would not put a seatbelt on when driving. Although this would have no impact on anyone other than themselves.

Re: Unmarked cabs spotting Hull drivers after police tell motorist 'you might want to put your cuppa down!'

<knq3egF61ikU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33666&group=uk.rec.cycling#33666

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Unmarked cabs spotting Hull drivers after police tell
motorist 'you might want to put your cuppa down!'
Date: 30 Sep 2023 08:09:52 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 08:09 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> 7 hrs ago
>
> All the offences are serious but I find it particularly mind blowing
> how/why people would not put a seatbelt on when driving. Although this
> would have no impact on anyone other than themselves.

Much the same could be said about wearing cycle helmets while cycling.

--
Spike

Re: Unmarked cabs spotting Hull drivers after police tell motorist 'you might want to put your cuppa down!'

<df54b5dc-fc66-48ff-b57c-74d87b18665en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33674&group=uk.rec.cycling#33674

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 02:37:07 -0700 (PDT)
'you might want to put your cuppa down!'
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 09:37 UTC

On Friday, September 29, 2023 at 9:41:48 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
> 7 hrs ago
>
> All the offences are serious but I find it particularly mind blowing how/why people would not put a seatbelt on when driving. Although this would have no impact on anyone other than themselves.

What about the vast costs to the NHS and the police?

Re: Unmarked cabs spotting Hull drivers after police tell motorist 'you might want to put your cuppa down!'

<knq9pcF719bU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33680&group=uk.rec.cycling#33680

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
motorist 'you might want to put your cuppa down!'
Date: 30 Sep 2023 09:58:04 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 09:58 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, September 29, 2023 at 9:41:48 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
>> 7 hrs ago
>>
>> All the offences are serious but I find it particularly mind blowing
>> how/why people would not put a seatbelt on when driving. Although this
>> would have no impact on anyone other than themselves.

> What about the vast costs to the NHS and the police?

Quite. On the basis of cost to the public services:

Compulsory cycle helmets NOW!

--
Spike

Re: Unmarked cabs spotting Hull drivers after police tell motorist 'you might want to put your cuppa down!'

<fea216af-3862-45ef-9571-0a852903d61an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33682&group=uk.rec.cycling#33682

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 03:10:48 -0700 (PDT)
'you might want to put your cuppa down!'
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 10:10 UTC

1 day ago

This behaviour scares me, I've seen lorry drivers many times messing on their phones and not concentrating on the roads.

Re: Unmarked cabs spotting Hull drivers after police tell motorist 'you might want to put your cuppa down!'

<knu29qFph87U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33772&group=uk.rec.cycling#33772

From: jennings&co@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
'you might want to put your cuppa down!'
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2023 15:14:50 -0500
 by: JNugent - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 20:14 UTC

On 30/09/2023 03:09, Spike wrote:
> Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 7 hrs ago
>>
>> All the offences are serious but I find it particularly mind blowing
>> how/why people would not put a seatbelt on when driving. Although this
>> would have no impact on anyone other than themselves.
>
> Much the same could be said about wearing cycle helmets while cycling

Or jumping off bridges...

Oh... hang on a mo...

Re: Unmarked cabs spotting Hull drivers after police tell motorist 'you might want to put your cuppa down!'

<knu2chFph87U4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33773&group=uk.rec.cycling#33773

From: jennings&co@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
'you might want to put your cuppa down!'
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2023 15:16:17 -0500
 by: JNugent - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 20:16 UTC

On 30/09/2023 04:37, Simon Mason wrote:

> On Friday, September 29, 2023 at 9:41:48 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
>> 7 hrs ago
>>
>> All the offences are serious but I find it particularly mind blowing how/why people would not put a seatbelt on when driving. Although this would have no impact on anyone other than themselves.
>
> What about the vast costs to the NHS and the police?

Talking about vast costs [sic] to the NHS and the police...

How much did your bridge-jumping escapade cost us?

Re: Unmarked cabs spotting Hull drivers after police tell motorist 'you might want to put your cuppa down!'

<3131c78b-9470-4f43-a273-6acd44ba2083n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33777&group=uk.rec.cycling#33777

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 13:35:11 -0700 (PDT)
'you might want to put your cuppa down!'
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 20:35 UTC

2 days ago

Website called RateDriver. Full of dashcam uploads of those that have been caught driving badly. Government websites to check VED, if insured & MOT: CheckVED, CheckMOT & AskMID.

Re: Unmarked cabs spotting Hull drivers after police tell motorist 'you might want to put your cuppa down!'

<16ad9200-8501-4cf2-8017-741fd6379bc4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33778&group=uk.rec.cycling#33778

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 13:36:34 -0700 (PDT)
'you might want to put your cuppa down!'
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 20:36 UTC

2 days ago

Good. I hope they catch as many as possible. The standard of driving is shocking in recent times.

Frequently see people on the phone, and misusing lanes/roundabouts causing danger to others.

Re: Unmarked cabs spotting Hull drivers after police tell motorist 'you might want to put your cuppa down!'

<2f967e63-2cb1-4ae0-8fe7-ec42acbecdb8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33779&group=uk.rec.cycling#33779

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 13:37:48 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Unmarked cabs spotting Hull drivers after police tell motorist 'you might want to put your cuppa down!'
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 20:37 UTC

2 days ago

This doesn't make sense. When the police want to crack down in antisocial behaviour on the estates, they (eventually) put out high visibility patrols to deter it.

When they want to crack down on shoplifting, they put out high visibility patrols in town to deter it.

When they want to "...tackle the unsafe driving behaviour..." on the roads, they hide in unmarked vehicles and hand out tickets like Christmas cards.

Little wonder the public is losing confidence in the police.
====================
Ridiculous reply. If they drive along sirens blaring in a marked vehicle these cretins would temporarily put the phone down, wait for them to pass, then carry on.

Your examples are not comparable at all.

Re: Unmarked cabs spotting Hull drivers after police tell motorist 'you might want to put your cuppa down!'

<knu49iFpsfmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33782&group=uk.rec.cycling#33782

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
motorist 'you might want to put your cuppa down!'
Date: 1 Oct 2023 20:48:50 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 20:48 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2 days ago
>
> Good. I hope they catch as many as possible. The standard of driving is
> shocking in recent times.
>
> Frequently see people on the phone, and misusing lanes/roundabouts
> causing danger to others.

Perhaps they learned bad habits, from seeing cyclists jump red lights and
ploughing through people on zebra crossings.

--
Spike

Re: Unmarked cabs spotting Hull drivers after police tell motorist 'you might want to put your cuppa down!'

<181695e0-585d-4b87-84c8-a874f141960cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33785&group=uk.rec.cycling#33785

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 13:53:20 -0700 (PDT)
'you might want to put your cuppa down!'
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 20:53 UTC

QUOTE: Officers launched the new campaign today by releasing footage of a van driver using both hands to hold and drink from an open cup of tea. In the footage, the unmarked cab pulls alongside the van before an officer tells the van driver: "You might want to put your cup of tea down and concentrate on driving."

The van driver was issued a traffic offence report for not being in proper control of his vehicle. This resulted in a £100 fine and three points being added to his licence. ENDS

He was using BOTH hands to drink with? In front of the police?

Re: Unmarked cabs spotting Hull drivers after police tell motorist 'you might want to put your cuppa down!'

<ufdt0o$2rb6h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33799&group=uk.rec.cycling#33799

From: muzhmuzh@centrum.sk (Peter Keller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
'you might want to put your cuppa down!'
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 20:55:04 +1300
 by: Peter Keller - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 07:55 UTC

On 2/10/23 09:48, Spike wrote:
> Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2 days ago
>>
>> Good. I hope they catch as many as possible. The standard of driving is
>> shocking in recent times.
>>
>> Frequently see people on the phone, and misusing lanes/roundabouts
>> causing danger to others.
>
> Perhaps they learned bad habits, from seeing cyclists jump red lights and
> ploughing through people on zebra crossings.

We need more miniskirted floosies.