The scene is dull. Tell him to put more life into his dying. -- Samuel Goldwyn

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Row rages over pedestrians 'just walking into the road' - here's what the law says

SubjectAuthor
* Row rages over pedestrians 'just walking into the road' - here's whatSimon Mason
+- Re: Row rages over pedestrians 'just walking into the road' - here'sJNugent
`- Re: Row rages over pedestrians 'just walking into the road' - here'sSimon Mason

1
Row rages over pedestrians 'just walking into the road' - here's what the law says

<790da150-c33e-4b5b-ad84-51ab6a644042n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33798&group=uk.rec.cycling#33798

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 23:30:52 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Row rages over pedestrians 'just walking into the road' - here's what
the law says
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 06:30 UTC

A debate has been raging on social media in Hull after a motorist bemoaned the number of pedestrians “just walking across the road without looking”.

A post on Hull Live’s Traffic and Travel Facebook page has flagged up what many motorists and cyclists are perceiving is a growing problem. Some people claim that the attitude of some pedestrians is putting their safety, and that of other road users, at risk.

Richard Young raised the issue, writing: “Becoming increasingly worried about people just walking across roads without looking at all. This is starting to become dangerous to both drivers and [cyclists] and everyone. Something needs to done about it because police just blame the drivers.”

Catherine Bishop agreed, writing: “But you beep them to warn them and all they do is give you the finger or wave and laugh. It's really becoming dangerous.”

Streets such as Beverley Road and Holderness Road were flagged as having a particular problem with the issue, with some users highlighting people walking while looking at phones or wearing large headphones. And the debate left drivers asking who has the right of way

The Highway Code tells pedestrians to find a safe place to cross and wait for traffic to pass. But the law is now on their side when it comes to junctions, after a change to the Highway Code introduced in 2022. The update tells us pedestrians have priority when crossing junctions with no light system in place. That means cars turning in or coming out of a junction should give away to pedestrians.

The updated code says: “When people are crossing or waiting to cross at a junction, other traffic should give way. If people have started crossing and traffic wants to turn into the road, the people crossing have priority and the traffic should give way. People driving, riding a motorcycle or cycling must give way to people on a zebra crossing and people walking and cycling on a parallel crossing.”

This was picked up by contributor Kris Johansson who said: “It's now in the Highway Code that car drivers must be alert and allow all pedestrians to cross regardless of a crossing.” But he added in a more sarcastic tone: “When this was advertised via the media a few months ago it caused all humans to obtain an indestructibility shield so they can now just walk out in front of cars and be unscathed.”

Indeed, the Highway Code goes on to say that, although drivers are asked to give way more often, pedestrians still have a responsibility to cross safely. A new addition to Rule 8 makes it clear that pedestrians should "cross at a place where drivers can see you".

Janice Llewellyn said: “What the pedestrian doesn't allow for is the car’s ability to stop ... also why should I brake hard to have another car run into the back of me?” Others responded by suggesting that drivers should maintain a proper stopping distance to the car in front..

Paula Butler cited an example where a pedestrian used no common sense and almost caused an accident. She said: “I was turning right into Stanley Street from Princes Avenue and people were at the crossing waiting for the lights to change. At the very corner of Stanley Street, almost alongside them a bloke crossed with such a swagger that the car on the nearside passing me at speed almost wiped him out. Completely his own fault and so annoying.”

And Ray Dobson said he had witnessed disturbing examples of pedestrians trying to cross the A63. He wrote: “It's crazy the amount of people I've seen run across the road at BP North Ferriby to get to the other garage on the east bound carriageway!! There is no way a fully loaded truck is stopping if you time it wrong. People please use your common sense and stay safe.”

In many countries pedestrians crossing certain roads can be an offence – known as jaywalking. In the likes of the US you can only get to the other side by using designated crossings. No such law exists in the UK.

Of course, pedestrians may say that, with the number of cars on the roads these days, it is becoming increasingly difficult to cross many 30mph roads. The debate comes after Wales reduced speed limits in urban areas to 20mph in order to try to make roads safer for pedestrians and cyclists. In Hull, perhaps the best-known 20mph street is Newland Avenue, where so-called "courtesy crossings" offer pedestrians more opportunities to cross the road safely, though some drivers have complained that the system is confusing.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/row-rages-over-pedestrians-just-8795234

Re: Row rages over pedestrians 'just walking into the road' - here's what the law says

<ko09icF6352U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33808&group=uk.rec.cycling#33808

From: jennings&co@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Row rages over pedestrians 'just walking into the road' - here's
what the law says
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2023 11:31:08 -0500
 by: JNugent - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 16:31 UTC

On 02/10/2023 01:30, Simon Mason wrote:
> [...]
>
> In many countries pedestrians crossing certain roads can be an offence – known as jaywalking. In the likes of the US you can only get to the other side by using designated crossings. No such law exists in the UK.
>
> Of course, pedestrians may say that, with the number of cars on the roads these days, it is becoming increasingly difficult to cross many 30mph roads. The debate comes after Wales reduced speed limits in urban areas to 20mph in order to try to make roads safer for pedestrians and cyclists. In Hull, perhaps the best-known 20mph street is Newland Avenue, where so-called "courtesy crossings" offer pedestrians more opportunities to cross the road safely, though some drivers have complained that the system is confusing.

There are many silly people in 'Ull.

It's renowned for it, isn't it?

Re: Row rages over pedestrians 'just walking into the road' - here's what the law says

<5dcfa887-b59b-48f1-8949-c72276f011afn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33813&group=uk.rec.cycling#33813

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 10:05:38 -0700 (PDT)
what the law says
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 17:05 UTC

i can reply to this one....i do a safety driving course and pointed out cyclists on hedon road (8 ft from a cycle lane (btw not starting a cycle argument just using as an example)) and was told its their right to ride on a public road (riding a cycle on hedon road is just plain daft but yes legal) ....i agreed but pointed out as a motorcyclist i can ride my bike in a pair of shorts and a helmet quite legally however in the 35 years ive ridden bikes ive always (even in very hot weather) used protective gear...not because of the law but because im not stupid...this is what i think car drivers are saying ...basically you need to look out for yourself and not "expect" everyone to look out for you..another motorcyclist rule (taught in my bike lessons) is "expect and react as if every other vehicle on the road is out to kill you"

I think the premise for this article has been invented to create a bit of controversy.

The headline and the first paragraph are the opinion of one driver, and the article has been designed like that to set the tone.

I can think of two, maybe three occasions over my lifetime where I've seen a pedestrian walk into the road "without even looking", and that happened because they were so engrossed in something else that they didn't even realise they were walking into a road or, they were an unaccompanied small child.. It's nonsense to suggest that people have suddenly started aimlessly wandering around, putting themselves in danger. Everyone looks to see if traffic is approaching. The change over recent years has been that fewer drivers show some common courtesy and slow down to allow it.

What's happened over recent years is the traffic volumes have increased dramatically, and drivers have become more entitled, with more stubbornly refusing to slow down to allow people to cross the road at junctions where there is no crossing.

I've found myself standing at the kerb, obviously wanting to cross, as a dozen or more cars slowly grind past, steadfastly refusing to slow just a little bit so people can cross in front of them. They refuse to even look you in the eye. In one experience just last week, one 'lady' having seen me at the kerb, drove past me (at about 3mph) performatively staring directly ahead with her bottom jaw sticking out, no doubt in her head screaming "NO!".

The person's comment which was highlighted in this article is guaranteed to be one of those entitled, arrogant drivers who think because they're in a vehicle, their journey is more important that a pedestrians. So important that they can't wait for 3 seconds. That's been the change, nothing else.