Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 13:37:32 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Moment driver, 25, filmed himself at 98mph
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 20:37 UTC

A reckless driver who sped at 98 mph while inhaling laughing gas and filming a Snapchat video before ploughing into a bridge killing a 17-year-old passenger has been jailed.

Rohail Jillani, 25, was today sentenced to eight years and eight months behind bars after a judge slammed the 'intelligent' defendant for his 'arrogance' and 'lack of remorse'.

The bearded and bespectacled university graduate, wearing a grey jumper, showed no emotion as his punishment was read out.

Jillani had pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing yesterday to causing the death by dangerous driving of passenger Nadia Yusuf – who wanted to become a paediatrician and was described as 'beautiful' by her family.

A third person in the Mercedes car, Shafi Sufi, now 20, survived but was left with serious, life-changing injuries.

Speaking after the sentence, Ms Yusuf's family released a tribute saying they would 'miss Nadia forever' and that no sentence would be enough to make up for their loss.

They said: 'Our family is here today to honour Nadia, her life and her legacy. Nadia was the oldest child and a big sister to her five siblings.

'She was an amazing student and community member, and had a passion for helping people. She was studying Health and Social Care and was working to become a paediatrician.

'With her passion and determination, there was no doubt she was well on her way to achieve any goal that she put her mind to.

'Unfortunately, at the age of 17, she was taken from us by Rohail's reckless actions that could have been prevented and that has left a hole in our family which can never be repaired.

'Although no amount of time behind bars will bring Nadia back or be enough, we have hope that the justice system will prevail and kickstart our healing process.

'We will miss beautiful Nadia forever.'

Paying tribute to her daughter in a victim impact statement read to the court, Ms Yusuf's mother added: 'She was my first born and best friend. Nadia was not only physically beautiful but she had an equally beautiful heart as attested by all the people paying their respects to the family.

'Nothing was ever too much for her and taking charge of her siblings was only one of the chores she happily performed.

'Nadia was a happy teen who was beloved to everyone who crossed her path and she was enjoying her life and looking forward to a bright future.

'I can't, and won't, tire of saying she was cheerful, caring and thoughtful to all that knew her and beyond. She truly touched the hearts of everyone she met.'

Manchester Crown Court heard the crash happened on Mancunian Way, in Manchester City Centre, which has a 40mph limit, on January 10 last year.

An eyewitness who heard the sound of the smash said he thought it was so loud it had demolished the bridge Jillani collided with.

The Snapchat video, captioned 'Big Day Tomorrow', was shot with one hand as Jillani was at the wheel of his Mercedes A180, speeding and illegally undertaking other vehicles.

The court heard he had both hands off the wheel and while holding his mobile phone to film the video with one, he used the other to inhale balloons filled with nitrous oxide.

He was found 'dazed and confused' in the wreckage, while his two passengers were unconscious. Nobody was wearing a seatbelt, the court heard.

Ms Yusuf was pronounced dead about two hours later. Mr Sufi has suffered a catalogue of serious injuries, and needs a hip replacement.

Jillani, of Rusholme, Manchester, who had no previous convictions and a previously 'impeccable driving record', suffered a brain injury in the crash. He later told police he had no memory of the incident.

Judge Alan Conrad KC, sentencing, also banned Jillani from driving for nine years and ten weeks.

He said: 'Nadia Yusuf lost her life in the collision caused by your driving.. She was a young woman with everything to live for, whose life brought great joy to all.

'Her death has caused enormous grief to her loving family and friends. Her mother's health has suffered greatly as a result.

'You have devastated her family. Your other passenger, Shafi Sufi, sustained extremely serious injuries with lasting effects.

'Both Nadia and Shafi were younger than you and they placed their safety in your hands.'

Describing Jillani's behaviour at the wheel, Judge Conrad said: 'The combination of your lack of control of the car caused by your not having your hands on the steering wheel, the effects of nitrous oxide, and the grossly excessive speed caused your car to collide into the viaduct.

'A motor car in the wrong hands is a deadly weapon, and it is unfortunately far too common for young men to drive in this way.

'It is hard to imagine a case in which culpability is higher. You had put yourself in a position where you had no control over the car due to your using your phone to record matters and inhaling nitrous oxide from a balloon, as well as driving your car ridiculously fast.

'You were, I find, showing off to your passengers.'

The judge said that had Jillani not admitted his crime and the case and gone to trial, he would have imposed a sentence of 14 years.

He said that while Jillani is 'intelligent, well thought of' and comes from a 'highly respected family', Judge Conrad slammed him for having 'a degree of arrogance, selfishness and insensitivity about you still in the way you regard yourself'.

The judge also said Jillani had made 'tasteless' online postings since the tragedy causing further hurt to Ms Yusuf's family.

He said: 'You suggest that you meant well in your postings, but a moment's thought by you would have shown the hurt that you were causing.

'For that reason, I have difficulty in accepting that there is genuine remorse on your part.'

Police said Jillani had an 'utter disregard' for his passengers.

Detective Constable Oliver Batty, of Greater Manchester Police's Serious Collision Investigation Unit, said: 'Jillani's actions were reckless and dangerous and have ultimately resulted in a young woman losing her life.

'Today's sentence reflects the utter disregard that Jillani had for his passengers and the rules of the road that we, as the public, have to adhere to, day in and day out, to keep each other safe.

'Jillani chose, through his own volition, to use nitrous oxide, drive at excessive speeds and film himself in the moments that preceded this fatal collision and I hope the sentence today brings some closure to Nadia's family.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12593487/Moment-driver-25-filmed-98mph-inhaled-hippy-crack-ploughing-bridge-killing-teenage-passenger.html