Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 02:15:22 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Oxford Road cyclists shocked by aggressive behaviour from drivers
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 09:15 UTC

Cyclists across Reading have hit out after experiencing aggressive behaviour due to a lack of infrastructure on Oxford Road.

Travelling from West Reading into the town centre, the stretch of road is a busy corridor for commuters and school kids going to and from work and school.

For Reading locals wishing to use an eco-friendly way of traveling, cycling has become a popular option.

Despite this, the infrastructure on the busy urban road has not been updated to reflect the rise in cyclists commuting throughout Reading.

Mum and the organiser of Critical Cycle, Kathleen Heath said: “At this time Oxford Road is just ridiculous. There is no room for cyclists and when we do try to travel down Oxford Road it is shocking the abuse we get sometimes.

“My son has been sworn at on his way to school by an impatient driver. It really is scary when I think about my child ever cycling alone on Oxford Road.

“Even if diversions and alternative routes were put in place for cyclists, it would be better to keep us safe.”

Another cyclist said: “The cars on Oxford Road are horrendous and the council needs to do better."

A spokesperson from Reading Borough Council said: “The Oxford Road is a busy urban corridor that is both a local destination for retail, employment, healthcare and education, and a strategic corridor for buses, freight including through traffic and local deliveries, and cars traveling into Reading from the west. It is also a key cycle route in to Reading from residential areas in West Reading.

“There is a lack of available highway space on the Oxford Road making it challenging to provide separate cycle lanes that are segregated from general traffic in line with the latest Department for Transport guidance.

“However, through our new transport strategy, we will look to deliver multi-modal enhancements on the Oxford Road where we can and funding is available including improvements for cyclists.

Some improvements outlined by the council that may be implemented include reallocating road space to walking and cycling, traffic signal upgrades, and removal of excessive street furniture.

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news/23834530.oxford-road-cyclists-shocked-aggressive-behaviour-drivers/