Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 23:28:58 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Farmhand fined after cyclist was left with serious injuries when hit
by one tonne load
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 06:28 UTC

A farmhand left a cyclist with serious injuries after he was hit by a one tonne bag of grain.

On November 24, 2020, Stephen Dunn-Fawell was driving a telehandler tractor on Stillington Road, in Stockton, when his load hit a cyclist causing him serious injuries. The 20-year-old previously pleaded guilty to causing serious injury by careless driving and risked losing his license.

Outlining the case, prosecutor Lewis Kerr, told Teesside Crown Court, the cyclist was travelling uphill when the incident took place. He said: "There was no great speed in the defendant's driving.

"The defendant followed the cyclist as he moved up the hill although it appears the cyclist was not moving at the speed Mr Dunn-Fawell anticipated. The telehandler was driving with the arms in such a position that upright ahead of the cab were two one tonne concrete bags of grain. The bags themselves began to sway and a bag was able to collide with the cyclist from behind."

The court heard that Redmarshall resident Dunn-Fawell attended to the cyclist and was repeatedly saying "I didn't see you". Mr Kerr said the cyclist was treated for serious but non-life threatening injuries.

The farmhand has never troubled the courts before and expressed remorse following the incident. Teesside Crown Court heard others depend on Dunn-Fawell and losing his license would have a big impact on them.

Addressing the defendant, Judge Howard Crowson said: "I appreciate your anxiety today as to whether or not you lose your driving license and I can tell you that you are not going to. I don't consider it necessary to impose a level of penalty points which will deprive you of it.

"At the time of this unhappy event you never intended to do it and had been driving in a manner which you thought you were taking care. You clearly remained at the scene in order to care for him and I accept your regret and remorse at the injuries you caused to him."

Judge Crowson said the defendant has driven in an "unblemished way" the last three years and demonstrated he is careful driver. The driver was fined £375 and handed five penalty driving points.

The Church Lane driver must also pay a £37 victim surcharge.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/farmhand-fined-after-cyclist-left-27848757