From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Unseasonably warm weather not all good
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 12:25:56 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 11:25 UTC

I've just noticed that the Lobelia fistulosa in the conservatory has a
very heavy infestation of whitefly! Next door a Eucomis 'Leia' (Aloha
series) has quite a few on the underside of its leaves. A Cape Sundew I
keep nearby mainly to deal with compost flies in spring is covered with
the little pests. I've also noticed a cactus with mealy bug which has
just appeared.

I don't remember seeing either of these before at this time of year.
Anyone else found pests like these this month?

--

Jeff

Re: Unseasonably warm weather not all good

<ufmc1m$utg5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3366&group=uk.rec.gardening#3366

From: diverse@tcp.co.uk (N_Cook)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Unseasonably warm weather not all good
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2023 14:00:41 +0100
 by: N_Cook - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 13:00 UTC

On 05/10/2023 12:25, Jeff Layman wrote:
> I've just noticed that the Lobelia fistulosa in the conservatory has a
> very heavy infestation of whitefly! Next door a Eucomis 'Leia' (Aloha
> series) has quite a few on the underside of its leaves. A Cape Sundew I
> keep nearby mainly to deal with compost flies in spring is covered with
> the little pests. I've also noticed a cactus with mealy bug which has
> just appeared.
>
> I don't remember seeing either of these before at this time of year.
> Anyone else found pests like these this month?

Blackfly with busy attendant ants, around the tops of a number of
otherwise healthy echium plants on Bournemouth seafront last week.

--
Global sea level rise to 2100 from curve-fitted existing altimetry data
<http://diverse.4mg.com/slr.htm>

Re: Unseasonably warm weather not all good

<ugaqit$31mff$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3427&group=uk.rec.gardening#3427

From: charlie@roselandhouse.co.uk (Charlie Pridham)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 08:11:25 +0100
 by: Charlie Pridham - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 07:11 UTC

On 05/10/2023 12:25, Jeff Layman wrote:
> I've just noticed that the Lobelia fistulosa in the conservatory has a
> very heavy infestation of whitefly! Next door a Eucomis 'Leia' (Aloha
> series) has quite a few on the underside of its leaves. A Cape Sundew I
> keep nearby mainly to deal with compost flies in spring is covered with
> the little pests. I've also noticed a cactus with mealy bug which has
> just appeared.
>
> I don't remember seeing either of these before at this time of year.
> Anyone else found pests like these this month?

Just back from a couple of weeks away and red spider as well as white
fly here as well, couple more weeks then a good clean through I think!
--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall

Re: Unseasonably warm weather not all good

<ugbbgh$34uvo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3429&group=uk.rec.gardening#3429

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 13:00:16 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 12:00 UTC

On 13/10/2023 08:11, Charlie Pridham wrote:
> On 05/10/2023 12:25, Jeff Layman wrote:
>> I've just noticed that the Lobelia fistulosa in the conservatory has a
>> very heavy infestation of whitefly! Next door a Eucomis 'Leia' (Aloha
>> series) has quite a few on the underside of its leaves. A Cape Sundew I
>> keep nearby mainly to deal with compost flies in spring is covered with
>> the little pests. I've also noticed a cactus with mealy bug which has
>> just appeared.
>>
>> I don't remember seeing either of these before at this time of year.
>> Anyone else found pests like these this month?
>>

> Just back from a couple of weeks away and red spider as well as white
> fly here as well, couple more weeks then a good clean through I think!

Some insecticide has dealt with nearly all the whitefly. I'm hoping that
the cooler weather expected this weekend will get rid of those that
remain and perhaps the mealy bug too.

--

Jeff

Re: Unseasonably warm weather not all good

<ugbbq9$35n16$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3430&group=uk.rec.gardening#3430

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 13:05:29 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 12:05 UTC

On 13/10/2023 13:00, Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 13/10/2023 08:11, Charlie Pridham wrote:
>> On 05/10/2023 12:25, Jeff Layman wrote:
>>> I've just noticed that the Lobelia fistulosa in the conservatory has a
>>> very heavy infestation of whitefly! Next door a Eucomis 'Leia' (Aloha
>>> series) has quite a few on the underside of its leaves. A Cape Sundew I
>>> keep nearby mainly to deal with compost flies in spring is covered with
>>> the little pests. I've also noticed a cactus with mealy bug which has
>>> just appeared.
>>>
>>> I don't remember seeing either of these before at this time of year.
>>> Anyone else found pests like these this month?
>>>

>> Just back from a couple of weeks away and red spider as well as white
>> fly here as well, couple more weeks then a good clean through I think!
>
> Some insecticide has dealt with nearly all the whitefly. I'm hoping that
> the cooler weather expected this weekend will get rid of those that
> remain and perhaps the mealy bug too.

The 'Daily Excrement' (as it is known by its loyal readership), is
forecasting the 'year of no autumn' with a transition from Indian summer
to winter frosts being extremely rapid.

However the chance of their being even approximately right is worse than
random.

So don't take my word for it :-)

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"