"Irrationality is the square root of all evil" -- Douglas Hofstadter

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Sleeping driver jailed after running down and killing jogger

SubjectAuthor
* Sleeping driver jailed after running down and killing joggerSimon Mason
+* Re: Sleeping driver jailed after running down and killing joggersoup
|`* Re: Sleeping driver jailed after running down and killing joggerSimon Mason
| `- Re: Sleeping driver jailed after running down and killing joggerJNugent
`* Re: Sleeping driver jailed after running down and killing joggerSimon Mason
 +- Re: Sleeping driver jailed after running down and killing joggerSpike
 +* Re: Sleeping driver jailed after running down and killing joggerSimon Mason
 |+- Re: Sleeping driver jailed after running down and killing joggerJNugent
 |+- Re: Sleeping driver jailed after running down and killing joggerSimon Mason
 |`- Re: Sleeping driver jailed after running down and killing joggerSpike
 `- Re: Sleeping driver jailed after running down and killing joggerSimon Mason

1
Sleeping driver jailed after running down and killing jogger

<1037bdec-d9ab-4d2a-9724-79a0e75f8cb8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34415&group=uk.rec.cycling#34415

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 08:38:13 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Sleeping driver jailed after running down and killing jogger
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 15:38 UTC

A driver who knocked down and killed a jogger after falling asleep at the wheel has been jailed.

Glen Widdowson, aged 48, was returning home from a night shift when he veered onto the wrong side of the road, struck a kerb and hit his victim from behind.

Widdowson had been working as a night manager at a Leicestershire hotel throughout the previous evening.

Aimi McCaffery, a 46-year-old mum-of two, died at the scene of the collision in Cropwell Butler, on the morning of Sunday 15 May 2022.

Mrs McCaffery, described by her family as “a wonderful mother, daughter and loving friend”, was jogging on the correct side of the road and facing the oncoming traffic when she was hit.

Moments before the collision, however, Widdowson was caught on CCTV veering towards the wrong side of the carriageway as he drove along Radcliffe Road and towards Mrs McCaffery.

He then failed to negotiate a slight left-hand bend in the road, mounted a kerb with two wheels and struck her at a speed of around 50mph.

Forensic collision investigators later concluded that he had made no effort to brake prior to the collision.

With no defects noted to the vehicle and no alternative explanation from Widdowson, it was concluded he must have fallen asleep at the wheel.

Several passing motorists stopped ad attempted to resuscitate Mrs McCaffery, but nothing could be done to save Mrs McCaffery’s life.

Widdowson, who was taking his usual route home through country lanes, was not speeding and remained at the scene of the collision.

Investigators also discovered that he had been diagnosed with the condition sleep Apnoea in 2016 – a condition that disrupts sleep and adds to fatigue.

Although he said he couldn’t be sure what happened, Widdowson later pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving on the basis that he fell asleep at the wheel.

Widdowson had been remanded in custody following his plea at an earlier hearing on 31 August.

Appearing at Nottingham Crown Court today (Tuesday 26 September), Widdowson, of Addington Court, Radcliffe on Trent, was jailed for three years and six months. He was also banned from driving for four years and nine months.

His sentence reflected his earlier guilty plea and his previous good character.

Detective Constable Christopher Taylor, of Nottinghamshire Police’s serious collision investigation unit, said:

“This was an utterly tragic incident that robbed a family of a loving mother, wife and friend. Aimi did everything right on that dreadful morning and was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time as Widdowson drove home from work.

“As he begins a significant jail sentence, I sincerely hope that other drivers will take note of the potential consequences of falling asleep at the wheel. The act of falling asleep is always considered to be dangerous rather than careless driving and will consequently lead to far more serious sanctions in cases when people lose their lives.

“So, I urge anyone who feels tired behind the wheel pay attention to how they feel, pull over and take an appropriate break. As this case demonstrates, the consequences of not doing this can be devastating.

“Her loss has been felt by her family and across her network of friends, and colleagues in the community charity she ran. Please remember Aimi and do not push yourself to drive any further when you feel tired.”

https://www.nottinghamshire.police.uk/news/nottinghamshire/news/news/2023/september/sleeping-driver-jailed-after-running-down-and-killing-jogger/

Re: Sleeping driver jailed after running down and killing jogger

<ugrq4j$fmg4$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34436&group=uk.rec.cycling#34436

From: invalid@invalid.com (soup)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 18:48:03 +0100
 by: soup - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 17:48 UTC

On 19/10/2023 16:38, Simon Mason wrote:
> [...]
>
> “As he begins a significant jail sentence, I sincerely hope that other drivers will take note of the potential consequences of falling asleep at the wheel. The act of falling asleep is always considered to be dangerous rather than careless driving and will consequently lead to far more serious sanctions in cases when people lose their lives.
>
> “So, I urge anyone who feels tired behind the wheel pay attention to how they feel, pull over and take an appropriate break. As this case demonstrates, the consequences of not doing this can be devastating.
>
> “Her loss has been felt by her family and across her network of friends, and colleagues in the community charity she ran. Please remember Aimi and do not push yourself to drive any further when you feel tired.”

...and the cycling interest is?

Re: Sleeping driver jailed after running down and killing jogger

<627c85e1-76c4-412d-b4b9-c34d9c71ca05n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34440&group=uk.rec.cycling#34440

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 11:05:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1961@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 18:05 UTC

On Thursday, October 19, 2023 at 6:48:24 PM UTC+1, soup wrote:

> > https://www.nottinghamshire.police.uk/news/nottinghamshire/news/news/2023/september/sleeping-driver-jailed-after-running-down-and-killing-jogger/
> ...and the cycling interest is?

It's very clear - we have to deal with these dangerous criminal killers every time we venture out onto our roads.

Re: Sleeping driver jailed after running down and killing jogger

<kpe4d6Fn881U6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34447&group=uk.rec.cycling#34447

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 02:45:10 +0100
 by: JNugent - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 01:45 UTC

On 19/10/2023 07:05 pm, Simon Mason wrote:
> On Thursday, October 19, 2023 at 6:48:24 PM UTC+1, soup wrote:
>

>>> https://www.nottinghamshire.police.uk/news/nottinghamshire/news/news/2023/september/sleeping-driver-jailed-after-running-down-and-killing-jogger/
>> ...and the cycling interest is?
>
> It's very clear - we have to deal with these dangerous criminal killers every time we venture out onto our roads...

....says the drink-chav-cyclist (and self-confessed driver of an unsafe
motor vehicle).

Re: Sleeping driver jailed after running down and killing jogger

<1cc47d1f-dc19-4eee-9182-17e6d4ab4f43n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34451&group=uk.rec.cycling#34451

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 23:49:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 06:49 UTC

QUOTE: He then failed to negotiate a slight left-hand bend in the road, mounted a kerb with two wheels and struck her at a speed of around 50mph. ENDS

Joggers are not even safe on the footpaths due to these killers.

Re: Sleeping driver jailed after running down and killing jogger

<kper6bFrk4aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34456&group=uk.rec.cycling#34456

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 20 Oct 2023 08:14:03 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 08:14 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> QUOTE: He then failed to negotiate a slight left-hand bend in the road,
> mounted a kerb with two wheels and struck her at a speed of around 50mph. ENDS

> Joggers are not even safe on the footpaths due to these killers.

Rhiannon Bennett.

--
Spike

Re: Sleeping driver jailed after running down and killing jogger

<90d9c34c-b0c9-4a31-9aa7-ec492acec172n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34462&group=uk.rec.cycling#34462

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 03:38:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 10:38 UTC

A 43-year-old van driver who was over the cocaine limit mounted a pavement and smashed into a pedestrian - breaking his back and breastbone and leaving him almost two centimetres shorter because of his injuries, a court has been told.

CCTV footage of Wayne Anderson's van rounding a bend and then going up onto the footway and flooring the oncoming pedestrian was shown at Gloucester Crown Court before he was sentenced to a 16-month suspended jail term.

The court was told he had been looking down into the footwell of his van and not paying attention to his driving when the crash happened at Shurdington, near Cheltenham, on December 12, 2021.

Anderson of Ladysmith Road, was driving in his white sign-written van along Yarnolds in Shurdington at 10.20am that day when he failed to take the right hand bend and careered straight into the 60-year-old pedestrian, who was walking on the footpath towards a local convenience store.

The CCTV footage showed the van can approaching the bend before going too wide and mounting the pavement. Moments later the van hit the pedestrian, who had just walked into view from a side street.

Anderson carried on driving before returning to the scene where he found that the pedestrian lying motionless, having sustained a broken back and a broken sternum.

The court was told that the victim had to undergo surgery, which meant that he lost about one to two centimetres in height.

Anderson was subsequently arrested for the offence and was found to be intoxicated through the use of cocaine.

He disputed, however, that he was impaired due to the use of drugs and maintained he did not know how the cocaine had got in to his system.

He stated that he had been looking at something in the footwell of the passenger side of the car when the collision occurred.

The Crown Prosecution Service chose not to argue the drugs issue in a fact-finding hearing and accepted that Anderson was not impaired by the cocaine, despite being more than twice over the legal limit for driving,

Anderson was found guilty of driving whilst under the influence of drugs and causing serious injury by dangerous driving.

Judge Jason Taylor KC told Anderson: "What's become apparent throughout this hearing is that you were effectively looking in the footwell of the passenger side of the car when the collision occurred.

"The injuries that you caused were significant and this has resulted in the victim losing about one to two centimetres in height. Fortunately, additional surgery is not necessary.

"The victim's victim personal statement explains how he had to take off over two months off work and has had to give up his martial arts interest.

"The analysis of your blood reveals that you had cocaine in your system. The tolerance level for drugs is effectively zero. Your basis of plea suggests that you've no idea how that was ingested.

"But be that as it may, the fact that it was present must be reflected in your sentence, even though there was no visible sign of impairment.

"It's important to stress that there is no suggestion whatsoever that your actions that day were caused, or contributed to, by the use of drugs in your system. The inattention was caused by you looking in the footwell.

"You are a man who is effectively of good character. There are no legal guidelines for causing serious injury by dangerous driving, but I take the view that looking in the footwell goes beyond that required of paying attention to where you are driving.

"It's not the same as glancing around seeing what is on the passenger seat. You vision was obviously right down in that footwell while paying no attention to the road in front of you.

"In this instance you turned your car into a weapon. This offence passes the custody threshold."

The judge sentenced Anderson to a prison term of 16 months and suspended it for 18 months. He ordered him to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work and pay court costs of £425 and a mandatory surcharge.

Anderson was disqualified from driving for two years for both causing serious injury by dangerous driving and driving while under the influence of drugs and he was ordered to take an extended retest.

Re: Sleeping driver jailed after running down and killing jogger

<kpffqnF11iaU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34469&group=uk.rec.cycling#34469

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 15:06:16 +0100
 by: JNugent - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 14:06 UTC

On 20/10/2023 11:38 am, Simon Mason wrote:
> [...]
>
> "It's not the same as glancing around seeing what is on the passenger seat. You vision was obviously right down in that footwell while paying no attention to the road in front of you.
>
> "In this instance you turned your car into a weapon. This offence passes the custody threshold."
>
> The judge sentenced Anderson to a prison term of 16 months and suspended it for 18 months. He ordered him to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work and pay court costs of £425 and a mandatory surcharge.
>
> Anderson was disqualified from driving for two years for both causing serious injury by dangerous driving and driving while under the influence of drugs and he was ordered to take an extended retest.

How many more times are you going to post this, you idiot?

Re: Sleeping driver jailed after running down and killing jogger

<4a029e8c-2aef-47f3-a969-9215b025be6en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34473&group=uk.rec.cycling#34473

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 08:11:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 15:11 UTC

A Co Tyrone driver who admitted causing the death of a pedestrian initially claimed the victim “ran out in front of him”, a pre-sentencing hearing has been told.

Ciaran Lee Wootton (26) from Main Street, Newtownstewart, also accepted causing the death of Elaine McGarrity by driving while uninsured and after taking a Toyota Hilux pick-up truck without the consent of the owner.

Mrs McGarrity (54) was walking along Brownlink Link, Irvinestown, at 9am on December 31, 2021, when she was struck by the vehicle.

Wootton was arrested at the scene and it further emerged he did not have permission to drive the vehicle.

The victim, a mother of two and grandmother of four, passed away having sustained severe injuries.

Emergency service personnel who arrived at the scene, remarked on the state of the windscreen of the pick-up truck.

Wootton later insisted he had cleaned it earlier then stated there was an area through which he could see out.

While he initially pleaded not guilty to all charges at Dungannon Crown Court earlier this year, it was stressed this was a holding position as he fully accepted causing Mrs McGarrity’s death, however defence lawyers requested some time to study CCTV footage.

He later admitted all matters.

The case was adjourned again to allow for the preparation of pre-sentence reports and a psychiatric assessment, as well as Victim Impact Statements by Ms McGarrity’s family.

Re: Sleeping driver jailed after running down and killing jogger

<kpg6dcF571gU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34496&group=uk.rec.cycling#34496

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 20 Oct 2023 20:31:40 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 20:31 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> A 43-year-old van driver who was over the cocaine limit mounted a
> pavement and smashed into a pedestrian

43 must be a dangerous age…

In the last six months Mason has made no less than six OPs containing the
term ‘43-year-old’!

--
Spike

Re: Sleeping driver jailed after running down and killing jogger

<870f2608-54be-4ae7-a2d3-f03518b77264n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34499&group=uk.rec.cycling#34499

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 13:45:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 20:45 UTC

A DRIVER who caused the death of a woman pedestrian after mounting a pavement in a Range Rover was today spared a jail sentence.

Janette Henry's vehicle struck Eleanor Ballantyne and relatives as they made their way to a restaurant in Bearsden, in East Dunbartonshire, on Boxing Day in 2019.

Henry, 68, of Kilmardinny Avenue, Bearsden, failed to keep proper observations and failed to negotiate a bend before driving across the opposing carriageway and onto the pavement.

She collided with a wall at Manse Road and failed to stop before the victim of the fatal crash was struck and six others injured, three of them seriously. Her vehicle then hit a parked car.

Henry originally denied causing the death of the 60-year-old community worker, from Dundee, by driving dangerously, but was convicted of the lesser offence of causing death by careless driving following a trial.

The victim died at Glasgow's Queen Elizabeth University Hospital on January 2 in 2020 following the collision.

A judge at the High Court in Edinburgh ordered that Henry carry out 100 hours unpaid work under a community payback order following the offence and banned her from driving for 12 months. Her licence was endorsed.

Lord Stuart said: "The collision and its consequences have been devastating for many."

He said it was "a deeply tragic event" and victim impact statements which he had read spoke of the "painful and enduring loss" suffered.

Lord Stuart said the author of a background report on Henry noted she presented as someone who was sincerely ashamed and remorseful after having caused death and injury.

The judge told Henry: "My conclusion is that the collision appears to have been caused by a momentary loss of attention on your part."

Defence counsel Thomas Ross KC said: "Since the incident she has not driven and does not expect to drive in future."

He told the court that Henry previously had a good driving record and said: "It seems to be the case that before December 26 in 2019 she had been driving for around 46 years without incident."

The defence counsel said that the offence was properly categorised as careless or inconsiderate driving arising from momentary inattention.

Mr Ross said the court could be satisfied that Henry was genuinely remorseful for what had happened and the impact it has had on others.

He argued that a non-custodial disposal would be an appropriate sentence and said: "She has had a positive life helping others and has been judged by the jury to have made an error."

Henry told her earlier trial that she got out of her vehicle to find a "scene from hell".

Eleanor's brother Charles Ballantyne, 52, said: "I remember watching the car and trying to process why it was not slowing down. I do not know if it was picking up pace, but it was not slowing down."

The transport manager said that in the aftermath he spotted his sister among the injured.

He said: "She was face down in a puddle - half on the pavement and half off."

Henry was originally convicted of also causing serious injury to three others by careless driving during the incident but that was overturned by appeal judges as that offence did not exist at the time of the collision.