falsie salesman, n: Fuller bust man.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Police probe collision between cyclist and pedestrian on busy Potteries road

SubjectAuthor
* Police probe collision between cyclist and pedestrian on busySimon Mason
+- Re: Police probe collision between cyclist and pedestrian on busyJNugent
+- Re: Police probe collision between cyclist and pedestrian on busySimon Mason
+- Re: Police probe collision between cyclist and pedestrian onSpike
`* Re: Police probe collision between cyclist and pedestrian on busySimon Mason
 +* Re: Police probe collision between cyclist and pedestrian on busySimon Mason
 |+- Re: Police probe collision between cyclist and pedestrian on busyJNugent
 |`* Re: Police probe collision between cyclist and pedestrian on busySimon Mason
 | +* Re: Police probe collision between cyclist and pedestrian on busySimon Mason
 | |`* Re: Police probe collision between cyclist and pedestrian on busySimon Mason
 | | +- Re: Police probe collision between cyclist [correct for once!] andJNugent
 | | `- Re: Police probe collision between cyclist and pedestrian on busySimon Mason
 | `- Re: Police probe collision between cyclist and pedestrian on busyJNugent
 +* Re: Police probe collision between cyclist and pedestrian on busySimon Mason
 |`* Re: Police probe collision between cyclist and pedestrian on busySimon Mason
 | `* Re: Police probe collision between cyclist and pedestrian on busySimon Mason
 |  `- Re: Police probe collision between cyclist and pedestrian on busyJNugent
 `- Re: Police probe collision between cyclist and pedestrian onSpike

1
Police probe collision between cyclist and pedestrian on busy Potteries road

<525c760f-a31a-4a18-8660-2fd93e12f971n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34476&group=uk.rec.cycling#34476

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 08:21:03 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Police probe collision between cyclist and pedestrian on busy
Potteries road
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 15:21 UTC

Police are appealing for help to track down a cyclist after a pedestrian had to be taken to hospital following a collision. The incident took place on Victoria Road - at the Joiners Square end - where the cyclist did stop but then left without leaving any details.

Now police are appealing for witnesses who may have seen the collision which occurred at 1.45pm on October 5. The force, which has only made a public appeal today, says the collision took place 'near the driveway of a home' on the busy stretch.

The pedestrian, a man in his 60s, was taken to hospital by relatives after he sustained 'shoulder injuries'. The cyclist is described as a white man, in his 20s, who was wearing dark clothing. It's believed he was on an electric pedal bike.

A Staffordshire Police spokesman said: "He did initially stop following the collision but shortly after rode off without exchanging contact information. We are also looking to check on the welfare of the cyclist as he sustained minor injuries from the collision."

Witnesses are asked to contact the force on 101 and quote incident 460 of October 9.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/police-probe-collision-between-cyclist-8846546

Re: Police probe collision between cyclist and pedestrian on busy Potteries road

<kpfl0qF22j3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34479&group=uk.rec.cycling#34479

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Potteries road
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 16:34:50 +0100
 by: JNugent - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 15:34 UTC

On 20/10/2023 04:21 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> Police are appealing for help to track down a cyclist after a pedestrian had to be taken to hospital following a collision. The incident took place on Victoria Road - at the Joiners Square end - where the cyclist did stop but then left without leaving any details.

So the chav-cyclist scarpered?

TCCB.

> Now police are appealing for witnesses who may have seen the collision which occurred at 1.45pm on October 5. The force, which has only made a public appeal today, says the collision took place 'near the driveway of a home' on the busy stretch.

In plain English: one the footway.

Fancy that!

> The pedestrian, a man in his 60s, was taken to hospital by relatives after he sustained 'shoulder injuries'. The cyclist is described as a white man, in his 20s, who was wearing dark clothing. It's believed he was on an electric pedal bike.
> A Staffordshire Police spokesman said: "He did initially stop following the collision but shortly after rode off without exchanging contact information. We are also looking to check on the welfare of the cyclist as he sustained minor injuries from the collision."

Shoulder injuries: "minor"?

What would be a major injury?

> Witnesses are asked to contact the force on 101 and quote incident 460 of October 9.

> https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/police-probe-collision-between-cyclist-8846546

Re: Police probe collision between cyclist and pedestrian on busy Potteries road

<9bdf4b9e-f3ea-4e5b-a35d-c50dfcce17b4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34480&group=uk.rec.cycling#34480

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 09:00:57 -0700 (PDT)
Potteries road
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 16:00 UTC

QUOTE: We are also looking to check on the welfare of the cyclist as he sustained minor injuries from the collision.ENDS

That's very thoughtful and kind of you, officer. :-0
Hope you are also well.

Re: Police probe collision between cyclist and pedestrian on busy Potteries road

<kpfn2gF2eqgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34481&group=uk.rec.cycling#34481

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Police probe collision between cyclist and pedestrian on
busy Potteries road
Date: 20 Oct 2023 16:09:52 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 16:09 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> Police are appealing for help to track down a cyclist after a pedestrian
> had to be taken to hospital following a collision. The incident took
> place on Victoria Road - at the Joiners Square end - where the cyclist
> did stop but then left without leaving any details.

[…]

> https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/police-probe-collision-between-cyclist-8846546

Similar case to this one:

Police are appealing for information over the death of a pedestrian who
collided with a cyclist in Shepherd’s Bush.

The 72-year-old man was struck by the cyclist on Frithville Gardens – a
quiet residential road in west London – at 11am on December 30.

The cyclist stopped at the scene and paramedics rushed the man to hospital,
but he died on January 15.

Following the man’s death, police were informed of the collision. Officers
are now investigating and have appealed for the cyclist to come forward.

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: “Police were informed on the death on
27 January 2017 and detectives from the Met's Serious Collision
investigation Unit have launched an investigation.
“Detectives are appealing to trace the cyclist - who is described as a
black man.

“He stopped at the scene of the collision, but as police were never called
to the incident they have no record of who he is.

“It is of paramount importance that the cyclist comes forward and assists
detectives with their investigation.

“They would like to reassure the individual that at this stage, all they
wish to do is speak with them and establish the circumstances that led to
the collision.

“Given the time of day there would have been a number of people in the
vicinity and detectives are also appealing to anyone who witnessed the
collision to come forward.”

Anyone who witnessed the collision or has information is asked to contact
0208 543 5157 or via Twitter @MetCC. Alternatively Crimestoppers can be
contacted anonymously on 0800 555 111.

<https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/police-appeal-over-pedestrian-killed-in-collision-with-cyclist-in-shepherd-s-bush-a3464391.html>

--
Spike

Re: Police probe collision between cyclist and pedestrian on busy Potteries road

<08085670-3110-41af-bf07-d65b203f0248n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34482&group=uk.rec.cycling#34482

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 09:34:10 -0700 (PDT)
Potteries road
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 16:34 UTC

QUOTE: A Staffordshire Police spokesman said: "He did initially stop following the collision." ENDS

Look up "hit and run drivers" and compare and contrast with this case.

I'll do it for you - FROM TWO DAYS AGO:

QUOTE: A teenage boy was rushed to hospital after being hit by a car in East London. The 15-year-old was involved in the collision in Prince Regent Lane in Newham.

The incident took place on Tuesday, October 17 and police were called to the scene at 2.21pm. The driver of the car did not stop at the scene.

After being hit by what is believed to have been a white Toyota Prius the boy was taken to hospital and his next of kin were informed. He remains in hospital in a life threatening condition.

The police are working to trace the vehicle and road closures are in place. Enquiries are ongoing.

This incident comes a day after another young person was hit on the road. A Met Police spokesperson said: "Police called at 14:50hrs (on Monday, October 16) in Prince Regent Lane to collision involving a car and girl on a bicycle. ENDS

Re: Police probe collision between cyclist and pedestrian on busy Potteries road

<df2ca49c-146e-45d0-aef1-8e73d6b828dan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34483&group=uk.rec.cycling#34483

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 09:37:49 -0700 (PDT)
Potteries road
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 16:37 UTC

A 12-year-old schoolgirl has been injured after a hit-and-run in Kenilworth.

Emergency services said the girl was left with minor injuries to her head and leg.

Police believe the car was red or burgundy.

Witnesses are being urged to come forward following the collision in Leyes Lane, Kenilworth, at about 3.40pm on Wednesday (October 18).

A spokesperson said: "Enquiries into the incident are underway and officers would like to hear from anyone who saw the collision.

"Drivers with dashcam are also asked to check for footage that may assist the investigation.

"Anyone with information should go to www.warwickshire.police.uk/report or call 101, quoting incident 168 of 19 October 2023."

https://www.warwickshireworld.com/news/crime/schoolgirl-12-injured-after-hit-and-run-in-kenilworth-hunt-is-on-to-find-driver-4380142

Re: Police probe collision between cyclist and pedestrian on busy Potteries road

<cec59e69-f525-42db-baf2-ce1c80486ad0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34484&group=uk.rec.cycling#34484

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 09:39:12 -0700 (PDT)
Potteries road
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 16:39 UTC

THE devastated family of a man who died after a hit and run in Glasgow has revealed they are "saddened" by the punishment handed to his killer.

We previously reported that learner driver Ali Zafar struck Derek Blackshaw, 46, at a Morrisons car park in Cardonald on October 1, 2021 - when he was aged 17.

Now 19, Zafar was sentenced to four years in jail at the High Court in Edinburgh today.

Judge John McCormick told him he would have faced a six-year jail term, but it would be reduced to take account of his guilty plea.

The judge banned Zafar from driving for eight years and ordered that he must pass an extended test before holding a driving licence in future.

A statement from Mr Blackshaw's family, released through lawyers Digby Brown, said: “While no sentence could ever reflect the loss of Derek or our pain, we still feel saddened by the final outcome and the relatively short length of time that driver will likely spend behind bars.

“Derek was wholesome, honourable and adored and the loss of such a man is felt by more than his family and friends – it is also felt by the wider community which is enhanced through his work, time and desire to help others.

“Any bereaved family who has endured the criminal justice system will tell you there is no such thing as closure – there is only an end to paperwork and proceedings.

“So our only comfort is the knowledge that this painful process has stopped and we can now move forward with the same dignity and strength as Derek would have done.”

He told Zafar that a custodial sentence was required and added: "It is necessary to punish you, to seek to deter you and others from driving in such a dangerous manner and, of course, to protect the public."

The judge pointed out that the aggravating features included Zafar, of Calfhill Road, driving at speed in the car park and failing to stop and alert the authorities after the collision.

He held a provisional licence at the time and was travelling at an average speed of 32 mp.

Mr Blackshaw had attended the funeral of a family friend earlier in the day and after visiting a snooker club was taking a shortcut home when he was struck and killed.

Zafar said to a passenger in the car that he had "just hit a guy" before driving away from the scene.

The court previously heard that the teenager had asked if he could borrow a colleague's car keys to listen to music in the vehicle. Muneed Naeem agreed on the condition that he did not move the car.

But Zafar drove along Paisley Road West before turning into the car park.

After the incident, he drove back to a takeaway and told the owner of the car what had occurred. He also told them not to contact the emergency services.

Mr Naeem thought it was a joke at first until he saw damage to the vehicle. He contacted 999 before going to the scene and attempting CPR on the victim.

Defence counsel Duncan McPhie said first offender Zafar was remorseful and wished to apologise to the bereaved family.

He lodged a letter with the court from the mosque Zafar attended and said the teenager did charity work.

Re: Police probe collision between cyclist and pedestrian on busy Potteries road

<kpfp99F2shcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34485&group=uk.rec.cycling#34485

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Potteries road
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 17:47:38 +0100
 by: JNugent - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 16:47 UTC

On 20/10/2023 05:37 pm, Simon Mason wrote:
> A 12-year-old schoolgirl has been injured after a hit-and-run in Kenilworth.
>
> Emergency services said the girl was left with minor injuries to her head and leg.
>
> Police believe the car was red or burgundy.
>
> Witnesses are being urged to come forward following the collision in Leyes Lane, Kenilworth, at about 3.40pm on Wednesday (October 18).
>
> A spokesperson said: "Enquiries into the incident are underway and officers would like to hear from anyone who saw the collision.
>
> "Drivers with dashcam are also asked to check for footage that may assist the investigation.
>
> "Anyone with information should go to www.warwickshire.police.uk/report or call 101, quoting incident 168 of 19 October 2023."
>
> https://www.warwickshireworld.com/news/crime/schoolgirl-12-injured-after-hit-and-run-in-kenilworth-hunt-is-on-to-find-driver-4380142

It'll be a mere chav-cyclist posing as a driver.

TCCB.

Re: Police probe collision between cyclist and pedestrian on busy Potteries road

<6155ab2c-1074-4ae6-9d56-f45244bb52fbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34486&group=uk.rec.cycling#34486

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 10:00:41 -0700 (PDT)
Potteries road
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 17:00 UTC

A van driver who smoked crack cocaine before crashing into a nine-year-old boy and killing him has been jailed.

Luke Widdop, 51, failed to stop at the scene in Sutton-in-Craven, North Yorkshire, on 17 September 2021.

He left George Lewis fatally injured on a country road. The boy's father Michael Lewis and another child were also injured.

On Thursday, dairy worker Widdop was jailed for eight years at Bradford Crown Court.

Widdop, of Park Avenue, Keighley, West Yorkshire, pleaded guilty to causing death by careless driving while unfit through drugs at his first appearance before a lower court.

Mr Lewis was leading the two children at night along a country lane and had used his mobile phone torch to see the way and to warn oncoming drivers, the court heard.

When he realised a vehicle was coming towards them, he urged his son - and the other child, who cannot be named - to come in closer to a stone wall on the lane, which had no pavement.

The court heard George died from multiple injuries at the scene. Mr Lewis suffered a broken hand, while the other child escaped with cuts and bruises.

Widdop, a heroin user for 30 years, was travelling at 50mph (80km/h) in a 30mph (48 km/h) zone in a works van, and later told police he was "tired" after being at work, and just wanted to "put his feet up", the court heard.
'Clever, happy boy'

Widdop drove home but handed himself in to police soon after, telling officers he had drunk two cans of beer after the collision.

A swab revealed he had taken cocaine, and further tests revealed he had also used heroin although the timing and amount could not be determined.

John Bottomley, defending, said: "The victim's death will be on his conscience for the rest of his life."

A victim statement on behalf of Mr Lewis described George as a clever, happy boy who had enjoyed learning. His love of dinosaurs gave him ambitions of becoming a palaeontologist, his father said.

Turning to Widdop, Judge Jonathan Rose said: "You took away such future as he had."

He added: "It is quite clear from your previous court appearances and your offending, including speeding and driving while under the influence, have taught you nothing about the dangers you pose to other road users and pedestrians."

Widdop, who had more than 50 previous offences to his name, was banned from driving for an extended period upon release.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-67163390

Re: Police probe collision between cyclist and pedestrian on busy Potteries road

<6a69b926-1406-4df1-bbe9-f5bed07008e2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34487&group=uk.rec.cycling#34487

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 10:02:17 -0700 (PDT)
Potteries road
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 17:02 UTC

A £5,000 reward is being offered to find the driver of a vehicle who injured a mother and narrowly missed her young daughter as they were crossing a west London street.

Rajdeep Kaur, 37, was thrown in the air by a silver BMW travelling on the wrong side of North Hyde Lane in Hounslow on 3 February, the Met Police said..

She was left with life-changing injuries. Her daughter was unhurt.

The BMW did not stop at the scene and the driver has not come forward.

The Met Police said the BMW X5 was travelling on the wrong side of the road to overtake another car.

Although it did not hit the pram Mrs Kaur was pushing, the pram remained in the road and could have been struck by further vehicles, the force added.

Mrs Kaur spent several months in hospital with leg and pelvis injuries.

She now has limited mobility and is unable to care independently for her daughter, who was 13 months old at the time of the hit-and-run.

Witnesses to the incident took down the number-plates of the car, but these were found to be cloned.

Det Con Davina Nash, who has been leading the investigation, said: "We believe the driver of the BMW is local to the Hounslow area and so someone will know who he or she is."

The reward is being offered by Crimestoppers, a charity that is independent of the police.

Alexa Loukas, Crimestoppers' London regional manager, said it was appealing directly to people in Hounslow.

"You may have heard something about the vehicle or driver involved but for whatever reason you haven't yet shared what you know," she said.

"If you have any information about this tragedy you can speak up and tell our charity what you know."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-67131282

Re: Police probe collision between cyclist and pedestrian on busy Potteries road

<8fb4d6dc-53a1-49c3-b978-97f6314cbf10n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34488&group=uk.rec.cycling#34488

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 10:04:45 -0700 (PDT)
Potteries road
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 17:04 UTC

A man is in a critical condition after being hit by a car while waiting at a bus stop in Southall, west London.

The man, aged in is 40s, is in hospital after the collision on Uxbridge Road near the junction with Greenford Road just before 6pm on Sunday.

The driver did not stop at the scene and Metropolitan Police are on the hunt to find them.

A man who was believed to be in the car was arrested close to the scene on suspicion of causing serious injury by dangerous driving, the Met said on Monday.

He has been bailed pending further enquiries.

The victim’s next of kin are being supported by specialist officers..

Detectives are appealing for witnesses and information following the collision. Officers from the Serious Collision Investigation Unit (SCIU) are investigating.

“They are particularly keen to hear from anyone who captured the collision on dash cam, who were in the area around the time of the collision or have any information regarding the driver of the vehicle,” the Met said.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/southall-uxbridge-road-crash-bus-stop-man-injured-hit-and-run-b1113686.html

Re: Police probe collision between cyclist and pedestrian on busy Potteries road

<kpfudoF3pitU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34489&group=uk.rec.cycling#34489

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
busy Potteries road
Date: 20 Oct 2023 18:15:21 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 18:15 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> QUOTE: A Staffordshire Police spokesman said: "He did initially stop
> following the collision." ENDS

> Look up "hit and run drivers" and compare and contrast with this case.

> I'll do it for you - FROM TWO DAYS AGO:

Drivers see cyclists getting away with it, and are now doing the same
thing.

You sow the wind, you reap the whirlwind.

> QUOTE: A teenage boy was rushed to hospital after being hit by a car in
> East London. The 15-year-old was involved in the collision in Prince Regent Lane in Newham.
>
> The incident took place on Tuesday, October 17 and police were called to
> the scene at 2.21pm. The driver of the car did not stop at the scene.
>
> After being hit by what is believed to have been a white Toyota Prius the
> boy was taken to hospital and his next of kin were informed. He remains
> in hospital in a life threatening condition.
>
> The police are working to trace the vehicle and road closures are in
> place. Enquiries are ongoing.
>
> This incident comes a day after another young person was hit on the road.
> A Met Police spokesperson said: "Police called at 14:50hrs (on Monday,
> October 16) in Prince Regent Lane to collision involving a car and girl on a bicycle. ENDS

--
Spike

Re: Police probe collision between cyclist and pedestrian on busy Potteries road

<79eea030-27bf-4692-9e87-04e8d9dae142n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34492&group=uk.rec.cycling#34492

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 12:01:24 -0700 (PDT)
Potteries road
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 19:01 UTC

A much-loved mum who was on her way to a meal with her husband just days before Christmas was left to die on the road after she was hit by a Mercedes driver travelling at double the speed limit.

But despite John Brazil, 28, speeding at 60mph whilst already banned from driving and fleeing the scene instead of helping, he claimed 60-year-old Anne Jones was the one to blame for her own death. He handed himself into police the day after he mowed her down in Rochdale, but still insisted in his interview: “It wasn’t my fault, she just ran out.”

Anne, who worked with Rochdale council, was so popular in the area that 400 people turned out for her funeral. Around two dozen devastated family members packed Minshull Street Crown Court to hear the details of the case. Her husband told Brazil: "You are a coward, you ran away from the situation. Society at large needs to be protected from John Brazil… the world and the lives of everyone who knew her will never be as happy as they could have been with Anne in it.”

Brazil, of Waithlands Road in Rochdale, later pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving during the incident on December 19, 2021 and was sentenced to nine years and nine months, half of which will be served in prison, reports Manchester Evening News.

Prosecuting, Harriet Tighe told how Brazil got behind the wheel of a Mercedes belonging to a friend who he was staying with. He later returned 'crying' and looking 'scared', telling them: "I've hit somebody, I've hit somebody.." Asked if the person was okay, Brazil said he 'didn't know'. After hearing of the death, Brazil’s friend urged him to hand himself in to police and the following day he turned up at Bury police station. The judge accepted that Brazil’s remorse was genuine and a barrister read out a letter submitted on his behalf, in which he said: "From the bottom of my heart, I am truly and deeply sorry."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mum-killed-hit-run-days-31234190

Re: Police probe collision between cyclist and pedestrian on busy Potteries road

<kpgjf1F7h5eU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34508&group=uk.rec.cycling#34508

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Potteries road
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 01:14:26 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 00:14 UTC

On 20/10/2023 06:00 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> A van driver who smoked crack cocaine before crashing into a nine-year-old boy and killing him has been jailed.

What does Collins say about it?

Re: Police probe collision between cyclist and pedestrian on busy Potteries road

<kpgjquF7k5cU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34509&group=uk.rec.cycling#34509

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Potteries road
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 01:20:47 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 00:20 UTC

On 20/10/2023 08:01 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> A much-loved mum who was on her way to a meal with her husband just days before Christmas was left to die on the road after she was hit by a Mercedes driver travelling at double the speed limit.
>
> But despite John Brazil, 28, speeding at 60mph whilst already banned from driving

Ah... another mere chav-cyclist, purporting to be a drive (though he
wasn't one).

The thread title, for once, is correct: "collision between cyclist and
pedestrian"

Re: Police probe collision between cyclist and pedestrian on busy Potteries road

<be4243f0-21de-4651-a049-42f21504af99n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34513&group=uk.rec.cycling#34513

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 23:27:48 -0700 (PDT)
Potteries road
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 06:27 UTC

A disqualified driver who left a motorcyclist "dying in the road" after a hit-and-run crash has lost his appeal for his sentence to be cut.

Amy Cooper, 20, died after being hit head-on by the BMW driven by Shane Kelk after he crossed to the wrong side of the road to overtake another vehicle.

It happened on the B1168 near Holbeach, Lincolnshire, on 13 November 2022.

On Tuesday, the Court of Appeal ruled his sentence of eight years and three months was not "manifestly excessive".

Ms Cooper was taken to hospital for treatment following the collision, but she died from multiple injuries the following day.

In February at Lincoln Crown Court, Kelk, 28, of no fixed address, was jailed after he admitted six offences in connection with the fatal crash.

He had pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving, causing death by driving while disqualified, failing to stop at the collision and failing to report, driving without insurance and possessing cannabis resin.

The Court of Appeal in London heard on Tuesday that Kelk, who had a string of previous convictions, including for driving offences, initially stopped at the scene and apologised to Ms Cooper, who lay in the road, before fleeing on foot.

He was later collected by his girlfriend and was eventually tracked down by police in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, the court was told.

Christopher Jeyes, representing Kelk, argued the case centred around "a single poor overtaking manoeuvre" which had taken place "in truly dreadful conditions" when it was dark and foggy.

However, he added there was no evidence of impaired driving, excessive speed or "prolonged" bad driving.

Mr Jeyes accepted it was a "deeply unattractive" fact of the case that his client had made off from the scene, but he argued the sentenced imposed by Judge Simon Hirst at Lincoln Crown Court had been "manifestly excessive".

In a victim statement, Ms Cooper's mother, Amanda, said she found it "inconceivable" that Kelk had left the scene, leaving her daughter in the road.

"She had her whole life ahead of her and didn't deserve it to be cut short like this," she said.

Jeremy Janes, representing the Crown Prosecution Service, said this was a case that fell "wholly and squarely within the most serious category".

He added that the sentence imposed by Judge Hirst was appropriate.

Dismissing the appeal, Mr Justice Johnson agreed, stating: "We are entirely satisfied that it [the sentence] was not manifestly excessive."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-67134179

Re: Police probe collision between cyclist [correct for once!] and pedestrian on [Lincolnshire] road

<kphicgFd0eiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34514&group=uk.rec.cycling#34514

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Police probe collision between cyclist [correct for once!] and
pedestrian on [Lincolnshire] road
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 10:02:09 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 09:02 UTC

On 21/10/2023 07:27 am, Simon Mason wrote:

> A so-called "disqualified driver" (that is, a fully-unqualified chav-cyclist, because he was absolutely nothing more than that) who left a motorcyclist "dying in the road" after a hit-and-run crash has lost his appeal for his sentence to be cut.
> Amy Cooper, 20, died after being hit head-on by the BMW driven by Shane Kelk after he crossed to the wrong side of the road to overtake another vehicle.
> It happened on the B1168 near Holbeach, Lincolnshire, on 13 November 2022.
> On Tuesday, the Court of Appeal ruled his sentence of eight years and three months was not "manifestly excessive".

Sounds more than fair.

> Ms Cooper was taken to hospital for treatment following the collision, but she died from multiple injuries the following day.
> In February at Lincoln Crown Court, Kelk, 28, of no fixed address, was jailed after he admitted six offences in connection with the fatal crash.
> He had pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving, causing death by driving while disqualified (ie, purporting to drive whilst only a chav-cyclist), failing to stop at the collision and failing to report, driving without insurance and possessing cannabis resin.
> The Court of Appeal in London heard on Tuesday that Kelk, who had a string of previous convictions, including for driving offences, initially stopped at the scene and apologised to Ms Cooper, who lay in the road, before fleeing on foot.
> He was later collected by his girlfriend and was eventually tracked down by police in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, the court was told.
> Christopher Jeyes, representing Kelk, argued the case centred around "a single poor overtaking manoeuvre" which had taken place "in truly dreadful conditions" when it was dark and foggy.
> However, he added there was no evidence of impaired driving, excessive speed or "prolonged" bad driving.
> Mr Jeyes accepted it was a "deeply unattractive" fact of the case that his client had made off from the scene, but he argued the sentenced imposed by Judge Simon Hirst at Lincoln Crown Court had been "manifestly excessive".
> In a victim statement, Ms Cooper's mother, Amanda, said she found it "inconceivable" that Kelk had left the scene, leaving her daughter in the road.
> "She had her whole life ahead of her and didn't deserve it to be cut short like this," she said.
> Jeremy Janes, representing the Crown Prosecution Service, said this was a case that fell "wholly and squarely within the most serious category".
> He added that the sentence imposed by Judge Hirst was appropriate.
> Dismissing the appeal, Mr Justice Johnson agreed, stating: "We are entirely satisfied that it [the sentence] was not manifestly excessive."
>
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-67134179

Re: Police probe collision between cyclist and pedestrian on busy Potteries road

<daf8dcd2-7ddf-4cd2-b28d-aec8918517c3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34519&group=uk.rec.cycling#34519

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 03:26:27 -0700 (PDT)
Potteries road
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 10:26 UTC

A woman in her 50s has died after a suspected hit-and-run crash in Cornwall..

Officers were called to reports a white moped and silver Vauxhall Vivaro van had collided at around 10.20pm on the B3274 Bodmin Road near St Austell on 13 October.

Police say the van driver left the scene of the collision after the crash.

The moped rider, a female in their 50’s from the St Austell area died at the scene. Her next of kin have been informed.
Bristol Crown Court.

Police say a 28-year-old local man was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving, failing to stop at the scene of an accident and driving whilst unfit through drink or drugs.

He has since been released on bail.

The road was closed while an investigation was carried out at the scene.

Anyone with information, CCTV or dashcam footage which could help investigating officers is asked to contact Devon and Cornwall Police via its website or call 101, quoting log 951 of 13 October 2023.

https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2023-10-15/woman-in-her-50s-dies-in-suspected-hit-and-run