If Machiavelli were a programmer, he'd have worked for AT&T.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Driver Jailed for Seven and a Half Years for Causing Death by Dangerous Driving

SubjectAuthor
* Driver Jailed for Seven and a Half Years for Causing Death bySimon Mason
+- Re: Driver Jailed for Seven and a Half Years for Causing Death byJNugent
+* Re: Driver Jailed for Seven and a Half Years for Causing Death bySimon Mason
|+- Re: Driver Jailed for Seven and a Half Years for CausingSpike
|`* Re: Driver Jailed for Seven and a Half Years for Causing Death bySimon Mason
| +- Re: Driver Jailed for Seven and a Half Years for CausingSpike
| `* Re: Driver Jailed for Seven and a Half Years for Causing Death bySimon Mason
|  `- Re: Driver Jailed for Seven and a Half Years for Causing Death byJNugent
+- Re: Driver Jailed for Seven and a Half Years for CausingSpike
+* Re: Driver Jailed for Seven and a Half Years for Causing Death bySimon Mason
|`- Re: Driver Jailed for Seven and a Half Years for CausingSpike
`- Re: Driver Jailed for Seven and a Half Years for Causing Death bySimon Mason

1
Driver Jailed for Seven and a Half Years for Causing Death by Dangerous Driving

<e6b87b5f-77f4-4cb0-83ca-30eac965fd68n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34841&group=uk.rec.cycling#34841

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 00:46:27 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Driver Jailed for Seven and a Half Years for Causing Death by
Dangerous Driving
From: swldxer1961@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 07:46 UTC

A man who killed a cyclist while driving nearly twice the legal speed limit has been jailed.

Paul Watson, 39, of Church Lane, Normanton was sentenced at Leeds Crown Court today (23 June) after pleading guilty to causing death by dangerous driving, driving whilst over the drink drive limit and driving whilst over the specified drug limit.

Terrance Keye, aged 53, was killed on Friday, 10 February, whilst cycling home from work on Wakefield Road, Normanton. He was struck by Watson’s Ford Transit Connect van at an estimated speed of 55MPH. Watson was twice the legal limit of cocaine and one and a half times over the drink drive limit, with CCTV from before the collision showing him driving on the wrong side of the road and at excessive speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=cmDD4LThTUQ

Re: Driver Jailed for Seven and a Half Years for Causing Death by Dangerous Driving

<kpupn5F2e2nU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34844&group=uk.rec.cycling#34844

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Dangerous Driving
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 10:27:01 +0100
 by: JNugent - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 09:27 UTC

On 26/10/2023 08:46 am, Simon Mason wrote:

> A man who killed a cyclist while driving nearly twice the legal speed limit has been jailed.
>
> Paul Watson, 39, of Church Lane, Normanton was sentenced at Leeds Crown Court today (23 June) after pleading guilty to causing death by dangerous driving, driving whilst over the drink drive limit and driving whilst over the specified drug limit.
>
> Terrance Keye, aged 53, was killed on Friday, 10 February, whilst cycling home from work on Wakefield Road, Normanton. He was struck by Watson’s Ford Transit Connect van at an estimated speed of 55MPH. Watson was twice the legal limit of cocaine and one and a half times over the drink drive limit, with CCTV from before the collision showing him driving on the wrong side of the road and at excessive speed.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=cmDD4LThTUQ

News items on YouTube?

Whatever next?

[Unclicked, just the same.]

Re: Driver Jailed for Seven and a Half Years for Causing Death by Dangerous Driving

<d92fc99c-d6d4-4dcf-847b-e75a3d86ccf8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34849&group=uk.rec.cycling#34849

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 02:57:30 -0700 (PDT)
Dangerous Driving
From: swldxer1961@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 09:57 UTC

QUOTE: Watson was twice the legal limit of cocaine and one and a half times over the drink drive limit, with CCTV from before the collision showing him driving on the wrong side of the road and at excessive speed. ENDS

Should have got longer than seven years for killing a cyclist by speeding on the wrong side of the road.

Re: Driver Jailed for Seven and a Half Years for Causing Death by Dangerous Driving

<kpvnhhFbaprU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34861&group=uk.rec.cycling#34861

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Driver Jailed for Seven and a Half Years for Causing
Death by Dangerous Driving
Date: 26 Oct 2023 17:56:01 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 17:56 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1961@gmail.com> wrote:

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=cmDD4LThTUQ

Old news: 23 June (year not stated)

--
Spike

Re: Driver Jailed for Seven and a Half Years for Causing Death by Dangerous Driving

<kpvnhhFbaprU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34862&group=uk.rec.cycling#34862

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Death by Dangerous Driving
Date: 26 Oct 2023 17:56:01 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 17:56 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1961@gmail.com> wrote:
> QUOTE: Watson was twice the legal limit of cocaine and one and a half
> times over the drink drive limit, with CCTV from before the collision
> showing him driving on the wrong side of the road and at excessive speed. ENDS
>
> Should have got longer than seven years for killing a cyclist by speeding
> on the wrong side of the road.

What is special about killing a cyclist over and above, say, a pedestrian?

--
Spike

Re: Driver Jailed for Seven and a Half Years for Causing Death by Dangerous Driving

<ea7bdb3b-6888-4d8c-a88f-e3b6feef9adan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34866&group=uk.rec.cycling#34866

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 11:13:26 -0700 (PDT)
Dangerous Driving
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 18:13 UTC

VIDEO OF THE CRASH ON THIS PAGE:
https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/local-news/shocking-moment-van-driver-high-27204684

This is the moment a speeding van driver swerved on to the wrong side of a road just seconds before killing a cyclist.

Shocking footage released by police shows Paul Watson driving at 55mph in a 30mph area shortly before hitting Terrance Keye, 53, who was cycling home. The collision happens off camera.

Watson, 39, from Wakefield, was high on drugs. He has been jailed for seven and a half years after pleading guilty to causing death by dangerous driving after consuming alcohol and cocaine.

The fatal crash happened in Wakefield Road, Normanton, on the night of February 10. Terrance was wearing reflective clothing and had lights on his bike.

At Watson's sentencing last Friday, Terrance's mum spoke of how her “life stopped” when officers told her that her son had been killed.

She said: "Two police officers came to my door to tell me that my only son, Terry, had been killed. That night my life stopped.

"I will never hear his key in my door again and saying ‘Mother, it’s only me’. No one will ever know the devastation and grief I am feeling every minute, every hour of every day and night."

Images released by West Yorkshire Police following the sentencing show a custody picture of Watson with a black eye. A picture of his van shows the front completely crumpled and the windscreen smashed.

Watson had twice the legal limit of drugs in his system and was one and a half times over the drink-drive limit. Police said he had chosen his actions, while Terrance was not able to make any choices.

Speaking after sentencing, Detective Constable Simon Marshall said: "Terrance was cycling home that evening, he was wearing reflective clothing and had lights on his bike.

"He did everything right. Watson, on the other hand, did everything wrong."

DC Marshall added: "He chose to drive whilst over the alcohol limit, he chose to drive whilst over the drug drive limit and he chose to drive dangerously. Terrance wasn’t able to make any choices."

Watson was also disqualified from driving for 10 years. He was among the first offenders in the county to be sentenced under harsher guidelines for those causing death by dangerous driving under the influence of drink or drugs.

A spokesperson from West Yorkshire Police said: "Watson is the first person in West Yorkshire to be dealt with under the new sentencing guidelines that came into effect in June 2022. He was previously of good character having never been arrested before.

"We welcome the lengthy sentence and hope that this sends a message out that dangerous, and drink or drug driving will be dealt with seriously."

https://i2-prod.examinerlive.co.uk/incoming/article27204808.ece/ALTERNATES/s1200e/1_footage-shows-s-1026943.jpg

Re: Driver Jailed for Seven and a Half Years for Causing Death by Dangerous Driving

<kq01bbFe7dqU8@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34886&group=uk.rec.cycling#34886

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Death by Dangerous Driving
Date: 26 Oct 2023 20:43:23 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 20:43 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> https://i2-prod.examinerlive.co.uk/incoming/article27204808.ece/ALTERNATES/s1200e/1_footage-shows-s-1026943.jpg

Old news: 0933 23 Jun 2023

--
Spike

Re: Driver Jailed for Seven and a Half Years for Causing Death by Dangerous Driving

<0fb9c3e6-988e-4f12-86d3-4e44e2944305n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34893&group=uk.rec.cycling#34893

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 14:03:25 -0700 (PDT)
Dangerous Driving
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 21:03 UTC

Will this buff out with T Cut?

https://www.google.com/url?hl=en&q=https://i2-prod.examinerlive.co.uk/incoming/article27204808.ece/ALTERNATES/s1200e/1_footage-shows-s-1026943.jpg&source=gmail&ust=1698440534724000&usg=AOvVaw0YzQMxa1_IT88mGJmulJjr

Re: Driver Jailed for Seven and a Half Years for Causing Death by Dangerous Driving

<kq1uq3Fu114U5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34940&group=uk.rec.cycling#34940

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Dangerous Driving
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 15:12:19 +0100
 by: JNugent - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 14:12 UTC

On 26/10/2023 10:03 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> Will this buff out with T Cut?
>
> https://www.google.com/url?hl=en&q=https://i2-prod.examinerlive.co.uk/incoming/article27204808.ece/ALTERNATES/s1200e/1_footage-shows-s-1026943.jpg&source=gmail&ust=1698440534724000&usg=AOvVaw0YzQMxa1_IT88mGJmulJjr

Blimey... how did he do that?

Perhaps his wipers weren't working and it started to rain...

Re: Driver Jailed for Seven and a Half Years for Causing Death by Dangerous Driving

<a6ec5306-3fab-4f37-b4a3-2767fdea1305n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34961&group=uk.rec.cycling#34961

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 08:23:42 -0700 (PDT)
Dangerous Driving
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 15:23 UTC

Van driver Paul Watson, 39, caused the death of Terrance Keye in Normanton, after crashing into him while driving at nearly twice the legal speed limit, and over the limit for alcohol and cocaine.

Leeds Crown Court heard that the 53-year-old victim, known as Terry, was a machine operative at One Stop Warehouse in Normanton. At 10pm on February 10 this year, he finished his shift and cycled towards his home.

He was wearing a fluorescent high-visibility jacket and keeping tightly to the left hand side of the road, with front and rear lights on. His mother said he was a “good, experienced” cyclist who always took care of his bike.

At around 10.30pm, on Wakefield Road, he was struck by Watson’s Ford Transit van being driven at an estimated speed of 55mph, in a 30mph zone. After colliding with the bike, the van hit a lamppost and spun around the carriageway, before coming to a stop.

After hearing “loud bangs”, members of the public rushed over to help and the emergency services were called. Despite the efforts of paramedics, Mr Keye was pronounced dead shortly before 11pm.

Watson was initially unconscious after the crash and members of the public pulled him out of the van, noticing a strong smell of alcohol. When he came round, he was interviewed by police and admitted he had been drinking.

He was found to have nearly twice the legal limit for alcohol in his system, as well as double the legal limit for cocaine. When he was later interviewed by police, he said he had no recollection of the crash or drinking alcohol and taking drugs.

During Watson’s sentencing hearing today, the court heard a victim impact statement from Mr Keye’s mother. She recalled the moment police officers arrived at her door to inform her that her only son had died.

“That was when my life stopped”, she said. “I will never hear his key in the door again and hear him say, ‘mother it's only me’. No one will ever know the devastation and grief I am feeling every minute, every hour of every day and night.”

She added that she was no longer living, only surviving, until the day she could be reunited with her son. Mr Keye was the sole carer for his long-term partner, who suffers with loss of memory and progressive dementia, and she has now had to be moved to a care home.

Watson, of Church Lane, Normanton, pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving at the earliest opportunity before the courts. He also admitted driving while over the prescribed limit for alcohol and driving while over the prescribed limit for cocaine.

Father-of-two Watson, who was working as a gas engineer, has no previous convictions. The court heard that he struggled with mental health issues and alcohol and drug abuse, and had overdosed the night before the crash. At the scene of the crash, he told a police officer he had intended to die, and a note to his family was found in his home.

Mitigating, Soheil Khan acknowledged the “tragic and immeasurable loss” Terry’s family had suffered due to Watson’s actions, adding that Watson had expressed “genuine and extreme” remorse.

Mr Khan added: “He never intended for others to be harmed, even though he was contemplating harming himself. He knows…that the consequences of his actions are something that he will have to live with now for the rest of his life.”

Watson was jailed for seven years and six months, and will serve at least two thirds of his sentence in prison. He was also banned from driving for 10 years.

Passing his sentencing remarks, Judge Andrew Stubbs KC said: “Mrs Keye presents a moving and powerful victim impact statement. Its simplicity does not mask the size of her loss of the death of her only son Terry. No sentence I ever pass today will ever compensate for her loss.

“What is plain is that Mr Keye was blameless. You were grossly impaired because of the drink and drugs.”
‘He did everything right’

Speaking after the sentencing, Detective Constable Simon Marshall, from the West Yorkshire Police Major Collision Enquiry Team, said: “Terrance was cycling home that evening, he was wearing reflective clothing and had lights on his bike.

"He did everything right. Watson, on the other hand, did everything wrong. He chose to drive whilst over the alcohol limit, he chose to drive whilst over the drug drive limit and he chose to drive dangerously. Terrance wasn’t able to make any choices."

Sergeant Mick Kilburn, also from the Major Collision Enquiry Team, added: “Watson is the first person in West Yorkshire to be dealt with under the new sentencing guidelines that came into effect in June 2022. He was previously of good character having never been arrested before. We welcome the lengthy sentence and hope that this sends a message out that dangerous, and drink or drug driving will be dealt with seriously.

“I would like to take this opportunity to thank the officers who worked tirelessly in the days following this collision, making sure that Watson was no longer a danger to the public. Their hard work and dedication has resulted in a selfish and dangerous driver being imprisoned for a significant period of time.

“I would also like to pay tribute to Terrance’s family, who have had to deal with this devastating incident. Our thoughts remain with them at this difficult time, and I hope that today will allow them some closure on a tragic, yet avoidable, incident.”

Re: Driver Jailed for Seven and a Half Years for Causing Death by Dangerous Driving

<kq25pdF1frsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34984&group=uk.rec.cycling#34984

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Death by Dangerous Driving
Date: 27 Oct 2023 16:11:25 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 16:11 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

Any update in the last four months?

If not, what was the point of dragging it all up again?

--
Spike

Re: Driver Jailed for Seven and a Half Years for Causing Death by Dangerous Driving

<d117f4db-db52-43c1-948a-cdc785717eabn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34995&group=uk.rec.cycling#34995

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 10:55:53 -0700 (PDT)
Dangerous Driving
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 17:55 UTC

Terrance Keye, aged 53, from Normanton, was fatally injured in the incident at about 10.30pm on Friday February, 10 on Wakefield Road, Normanton, close to the junction with Mill Hill.

A spokesperson for West Yorkshire Police said: “The Major Collision Enquiry Team continues to investigate the collision and is appealing for anyone who saw the movements of the van or the cyclist immediately prior to the incident to contact them on 101, or by using the 101LiveChat facility on the West Yorkshire Police website.”

A man has been remanded in custody after being charged with causing death by dangerous driving.

Paul Watson, 39, of Parklands Manor, Normanton, appeared before Leeds magistrates today (Tuesday, February 14). He was remanded to appear before Leeds Crown Court on March 14, 2023.
HIS KILLER GOT 8 YEARS IN JAIL.