Employees and their families are not eligible.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicle journeys with cycling or walking

SubjectAuthor
* RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicleSimon Mason
+- Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacingSpike
+* Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicleSimon Mason
|`* Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacingSpike
| `- Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacingSpike
+* Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicleSimon Mason
|`- Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicleJNugent
+- Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicleSimon Mason
+* Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicleSimon Mason
|+- Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicleJNugent
|`- Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacingSpike
+* Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicleSimon Mason
|`- Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacingSpike
+* Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicleSimon Mason
|`- Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicleJNugent
+* Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicleSimon Mason
|`- Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicleJNugent
+* Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicleSimon Mason
|+- Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicleJNugent
|`- Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacingSpike
`* Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicleSimon Mason
 +- Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacingSpike
 `- Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicleSimon Mason

1
RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicle journeys with cycling or walking

<b24ec2d9-029b-4bec-ad8d-b1d7dc7dcb1en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34858&group=uk.rec.cycling#34858

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 08:24:06 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicle
journeys with cycling or walking
From: swldxer1961@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 15:24 UTC

The RAC's annual survey of motorists (link is external) has been published, giving an insight into the behaviour and attitudes of those who drive on Britain's roads, with thoughts on cycling infrastructure, cyclist behaviour, replacing vehicle journeys with bicycle miles, and last year's Highway Code changes again featuring prominently.

It notes that in adapting to high fuel and electricity costs 20 per cent of drivers have tried to replace vehicle trips with walking or cycling where possible. Elsewhere, more than half of drivers (53 per cent) said they now generally walk or cycle short journeys, a similar figure to in 2022 (52 per cent).

Despite this, the RAC suggests the "UK's drivers remain highly reliant on their vehicles" and 82 per cent agreed with a statement that they would "find it very difficult to adjust to life without a car". In less densely populated areas, this figure was as high as 91 per cent.

A majority of drivers (55 per cent) did say they would be willing to use public transport for more journeys if the reliability, convenience or affordability was better.

The report suggests that around a quarter of drivers are also cyclists (23 per cent), with 12 per cent using their bikes at least once a month, a percentage which is the same as it was last year.

When it came to cycling-related measures that might reduce car dependency, just 24 per cent of drivers in urban areas, and 18 per cent in rural locations, believe more segregated cycle lanes would be effective, while just 15 per cent of urban drivers and eight per cent of rural drivers said the same about bike rental schemes.

In the section examining drivers' top concerns, a fifth (20 per cent) said cyclist behaviour was their "top concern".

"Legislation will just have to keep playing catch-up"

One concerning part of the report came when looking at non-compliance of road rules, with almost half (49 per cent) of under 25s surveyed admitting to "using a handheld phone for calls while driving", up from 34 per cent in 2022.

"Shockingly", the RAC says, 30 per cent of under 25s asked said they had engaged in a video call while driving, almost double the reported 17 per cent amount in 2022. In the same age group, 19 per cent said they had taken a photo or a video while driving.

And when looking at all drivers, 60 per cent said they had used their phone while in stationary traffic, while 12 per cent claimed they could safely use a mobile phone and drive at the same time.

"It is possible that some of the public messaging relating to the dangers of phone use that was so effective in increasing compliance from 2017 onwards needs to be repeated for the benefit of the younger generation," the RAC's report suggests.

Tony Kildare, chief executive, IAM RoadSmart added: "The huge increase in video calls when driving shows once again that if phones have new features then young people, in particular, will use them and legislation will just have to keep playing catch-up."

On the topic of speeding, 57 per cent said they oppose reducing the default urban speed limit to 20mph, as has happened recently in Wales. Just 24 per cent support the policy, a figure that rises to 33 per cent among urban drivers.

Unfortunately the report only views last year's Highway Code changes from the viewpoint of pedestrian safety, but does still highlight that 71 per cent say they now give way to pedestrians

However, despite this, only 24 per cent said that when they are on foot they find other drivers willing to let them cross in such situations now covered by the Highway Code.

Just 18 per cent of those asked believed the changes had improved pedestrian safety, while almost a third (31 per cent) actually believe that pedestrians are now less safe as a result.

Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicle journeys with cycling or walking

<kq01bbFe7dqU9@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34887&group=uk.rec.cycling#34887

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing
vehicle journeys with cycling or walking
Date: 26 Oct 2023 20:43:23 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 20:43 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1961@gmail.com> wrote:
> The RAC's annual survey of motorists (link is external) has been published…

> It notes that in adapting to high fuel and electricity costs 20 per cent
> of drivers have tried to replace vehicle trips with walking or cycling
> where possible. Elsewhere, more than half of drivers (53 per cent) said
> they now generally walk or cycle short journeys, a similar figure to in 2022 (52 per cent).

Don’t see any of that round this way. Cyclists are quite a rare sight,
thank goodness.

--
Spike

Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicle journeys with cycling or walking

<9d3ed6ad-ba8a-4885-96c8-b229a3dac405n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34897&group=uk.rec.cycling#34897

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 18:57:05 -0700 (PDT)
journeys with cycling or walking
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 01:57 UTC

QUOTE:
One concerning part of the report came when looking at non-compliance of road rules, with almost half (49 per cent) of under 25s surveyed admitting to "using a handheld phone for calls while driving", up from 34 per cent in 2022. ENDS

What an admission of law breaking!

Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicle journeys with cycling or walking

<kq1948Fo7roU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34903&group=uk.rec.cycling#34903

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
vehicle journeys with cycling or walking
Date: 27 Oct 2023 08:02:16 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 08:02 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> QUOTE:
> One concerning part of the report came when looking at non-compliance of
> road rules, with almost half (49 per cent) of under 25s surveyed
> admitting to "using a handheld phone for calls while driving", up from 34
> per cent in 2022. ENDS
>
> What an admission of law breaking!

How many drivers drive on the pavement shouting “Get out of the fucking
way, I’m not stopping”?

--
Spike

Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicle journeys with cycling or walking

<2c38d16e-ee16-436f-8f7d-629cbf9a15b0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34907&group=uk.rec.cycling#34907

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 01:33:36 -0700 (PDT)
journeys with cycling or walking
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 08:33 UTC

QUOTE: Just 18 per cent of those asked believed the changes had improved pedestrian safety, while almost a third (31 per cent) actually believe that pedestrians are now less safe as a result.ENDS

Pedestrians are just a nuisance to drivers - they're not bothered about their safety, hence endemic pavement parking, speeding and blocking footways.

Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicle journeys with cycling or walking

<kq1s7pFtfafU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34922&group=uk.rec.cycling#34922

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
vehicle journeys with cycling or walking
Date: 27 Oct 2023 13:28:25 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 13:28 UTC

Spike <aero.spike@btinternet.invalid> wrote:
> Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
>> QUOTE:
>> One concerning part of the report came when looking at non-compliance of
>> road rules, with almost half (49 per cent) of under 25s surveyed
>> admitting to "using a handheld phone for calls while driving", up from 34
>> per cent in 2022. ENDS
>>
>> What an admission of law breaking!
>
> How many drivers drive on the pavement shouting “Get out of the fucking
> way, I’m not stopping”?

None at all, it would seem. Well, well; compare that to the behaviour of
such cyclists who kill.

--
Spike

Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicle journeys with cycling or walking

<5d235aa3-4e98-4633-8849-e4b040a2b2c4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34931&group=uk.rec.cycling#34931

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 06:37:03 -0700 (PDT)
journeys with cycling or walking
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 13:37 UTC

QUOTE: "Shockingly", the RAC says, 30 per cent of under 25s asked said they had engaged in a video call while driving, almost double the reported 17 per cent amount in 2022. ENDS

A third of these drivers take a "video call"?
These selfish bastards want locking up.

Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicle journeys with cycling or walking

<kq1t94Ftmk0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34932&group=uk.rec.cycling#34932

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
journeys with cycling or walking
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 14:46:12 +0100
 by: JNugent - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 13:46 UTC

On 27/10/2023 09:33 am, Simon Mason wrote:

> QUOTE: Just 18 per cent of those asked believed the changes had improved pedestrian safety, while almost a third (31 per cent) actually believe that pedestrians are now less safe as a result.ENDS
>
> Pedestrians on footways are just a nuisance to chav-cyclists - chav-cyclists are not bothered about pedestrian safety, hence endemic pavement chav-cycling.

Amended it for you to reflect facts as opposed to (your) fantasies.

Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicle journeys with cycling or walking

<61cebbbd-f511-4398-87d6-632dbb6aecdcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34955&group=uk.rec.cycling#34955

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 08:12:53 -0700 (PDT)
journeys with cycling or walking
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 15:12 UTC

QUOTE: 19 per cent said they had taken a photo or a video while driving. ENDS

More idiots killing innocent people.

Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicle journeys with cycling or walking

<kq2427FsphU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34969&group=uk.rec.cycling#34969

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
journeys with cycling or walking
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 16:41:59 +0100
 by: JNugent - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 15:41 UTC

On 27/10/2023 04:12 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> QUOTE: 19 per cent said they had taken a photo or a video while driving. ENDS
>
> More idiots killing innocent people.

Had they ALL been involved in fatal traffic accidents as a result, then?

Or are you just being your usual stupid self again?

Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicle journeys with cycling or walking

<kq2aicF2qa0U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34987&group=uk.rec.cycling#34987

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
vehicle journeys with cycling or walking
Date: 27 Oct 2023 17:33:00 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 17:33 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> QUOTE: 19 per cent said they had taken a photo or a video while driving. ENDS

> More idiots killing innocent people.

How do you kill someone with a photo?

Is it like Darth Vader’s thoughts, then?

--
Spike

Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicle journeys with cycling or walking

<34f6ba23-597c-427e-85de-8bf08f9ee2a0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34997&group=uk.rec.cycling#34997

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 10:58:49 -0700 (PDT)
journeys with cycling or walking
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 17:58 UTC

QUOTE: One concerning part of the report came when looking at non-compliance of road rules, with almost half (49 per cent) of under 25s surveyed admitting to "using a handheld phone for calls while driving", up from 34 per cent in 2022. ENDS

Obviously needs stiffer sentencing - idiots are not getting the law into their thick heads.

Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicle journeys with cycling or walking

<kq2q4dF6jigU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35001&group=uk.rec.cycling#35001

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
vehicle journeys with cycling or walking
Date: 27 Oct 2023 21:58:37 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 21:58 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> QUOTE: One concerning part of the report came when looking at
> non-compliance of road rules, with almost half (49 per cent) of under 25s
> surveyed admitting to "using a handheld phone for calls while driving",
> up from 34 per cent in 2022. ENDS

> Obviously needs stiffer sentencing - idiots are not getting the law into their thick heads.

You have only to look at cyclists and Red Light Jumping. Yet we are told
this…so where is the ‘common good’ that cyclists are supposed to bring?

It’s pure fantasy…

QUOTE
By analysing surveys between 2014 and 2019 of a representative sample of
the German population, the researchers found that, in urban environments,
“cycling rather than driving was positively associated with orientation
towards the common good in all models” and that riding a bike “was the only
variable that was a significant positive predictor for all four facets of
orientation towards the common good after controlling for possibly
confounding variables (home ownership, personal income, education, sex).”
ENDQUOTE

--
Spike

Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicle journeys with cycling or walking

<2f1f1244-9d67-461e-a0fc-6a932b14d3ecn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35008&group=uk.rec.cycling#35008

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 22:11:39 -0700 (PDT)
journeys with cycling or walking
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 05:11 UTC

QUOTE: And when looking at all drivers, 60 per cent said they had used their phone while in stationary traffic, while 12 per cent claimed they could safely use a mobile phone and drive at the same time. ENDS

And 60% said that they could safely drive past schools at 70mph and it was up to parents to keep their kids out of their way.

Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicle journeys with cycling or walking

<kq4a9nFfi5uU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35027&group=uk.rec.cycling#35027

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
journeys with cycling or walking
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 12:40:39 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 11:40 UTC

On 28/10/2023 06:11 am, Simon Mason wrote:

> QUOTE: And when looking at all drivers, 60 per cent said they had used their phone while in stationary traffic, while 12 per cent claimed they could safely use a mobile phone and drive at the same time. ENDS

What is so surprising ain that truth about a perfectly lawful activity?
I sometimes use mine while doing 70mph on the motorway. And even 80 on a
freeway.

> And 60% said that they could safely drive past schools at 70mph and it was up to parents to keep their kids out of their way.

:-) Liar!

Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicle journeys with cycling or walking

<4f9a651f-4ce9-4fda-b240-9a6c136ba7c2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35035&group=uk.rec.cycling#35035

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 06:20:36 -0700 (PDT)
journeys with cycling or walking
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 13:20 UTC

QUOTE: And when looking at all drivers, 60 per cent said they had used their phone while in stationary traffic. ENDS

So Cycling Mikey's hundreds of videos of drivers on their phone are all genuine then?

Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicle journeys with cycling or walking

<kq4k4kFhij4U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35041&group=uk.rec.cycling#35041

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
journeys with cycling or walking
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 15:28:36 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 14:28 UTC

On 28/10/2023 02:20 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> QUOTE: And when looking at all drivers, 60 per cent said they had used their phone while in stationary traffic. ENDS
>
> So Cycling Mikey's hundreds of videos of drivers on their phone are all genuine then?

What is wrong with using a mobile phone while driving?

It is not illegal.

Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicle journeys with cycling or walking

<828a9b3b-33af-4146-a154-d8073e88dd7cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35043&group=uk.rec.cycling#35043

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 09:20:55 -0700 (PDT)
journeys with cycling or walking
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 16:20 UTC

QUOTE: On the topic of speeding, 57 per cent said they oppose reducing the default urban speed limit to 20mph, as has happened recently in Wales. Just 24 per cent support the policy, a figure that rises to 33 per cent among urban drivers. ENDS

See - they don't give a toss about the safety of pedestrians.

Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicle journeys with cycling or walking

<kq4rrjFj4bqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35044&group=uk.rec.cycling#35044

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
journeys with cycling or walking
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 17:40:19 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 16:40 UTC

On 28/10/2023 05:20 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> QUOTE: On the topic of speeding, 57 per cent said they oppose reducing the default urban speed limit to 20mph, as has happened recently in Wales. Just 24 per cent support the policy, a figure that rises to 33 per cent among urban drivers. ENDS
>
> See - they don't give a toss about the safety of pedestrians...

....says the oaf who hurtles along FOOTways on his chav-cycle.

Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicle journeys with cycling or walking

<f1c0e698-024f-4019-9ce1-ecfe03028511n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35047&group=uk.rec.cycling#35047

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 11:07:09 -0700 (PDT)
journeys with cycling or walking
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 18:07 UTC

"That is probably true, the problem is that most aren't trying hard enough not to kill you. That would require 100% concentration all of the time, slowing down if the sun is in your eyes, waiting till it's safe to overtake etc etc. Sometimes it's down to incompetence, sometimes it's down to impatience, sometimes it's just laziness, it doesn't matter, the results for us are the same."

Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicle journeys with cycling or walking

<kq52alFkcbuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35057&group=uk.rec.cycling#35057

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
vehicle journeys with cycling or walking
Date: 28 Oct 2023 18:30:45 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 18:30 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:
> QUOTE: On the topic of speeding, 57 per cent said they oppose reducing
> the default urban speed limit to 20mph, as has happened recently in
> Wales. Just 24 per cent support the policy, a figure that rises to 33 per
> cent among urban drivers. ENDS

> See - they don't give a toss about the safety of pedestrians.

OH THE IRONY!

--
Spike

Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicle journeys with cycling or walking

<kq52doFkcufU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35059&group=uk.rec.cycling#35059

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
vehicle journeys with cycling or walking
Date: 28 Oct 2023 18:32:24 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 18:32 UTC

Simon Mason <swldxer1958@gmail.com> wrote:

> "That is probably true, the problem is that most aren't trying hard
> enough not to kill you. That would require 100% concentration all of the
> time, slowing down if the sun is in your eyes, waiting till it's safe to
> overtake etc etc. Sometimes it's down to incompetence, sometimes it's
> down to impatience, sometimes it's just laziness, it doesn't matter, the
> results for us are the same."

That’s Vision Zero trashed, then.

--
Spike

Re: RAC Report on Motoring suggests 20% of drivers replacing vehicle journeys with cycling or walking

<8b6518ca-36d5-48cb-a59b-e6136ac61b16n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35061&group=uk.rec.cycling#35061

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 11:33:40 -0700 (PDT)
journeys with cycling or walking
From: swldxer1958@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 18:33 UTC

On Saturday, October 28, 2023 at 7:07:11 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
> "That is probably true, the problem is that most aren't trying hard enough not to kill you. That would require 100% concentration all of the time, slowing down if the sun is in your eyes, waiting till it's safe to overtake etc etc. Sometimes it's down to incompetence, sometimes it's down to impatience, sometimes it's just laziness, it doesn't matter, the results for us are the same."

What would Mr Arsehole do without his "low flying Sun" excuse?