From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Cyclist kills biker but merely fined
Date: 29 Oct 2023 09:05:55 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 09:05 UTC

THE family of a motorcyclist who was killed in a crash at a crossroads in
Poole have paid tribute to him and spoken of the devastating impact his
death has had on them.

Members of Callum Clements's family were in the public gallery at Poole
Magistrates’ Court on Thursday, November 24, as a cyclist was convicted and
sentenced for his involvement in the crash which killed the 23-year-old.

After District Judge Michael Snow found Garry Kopanycia-Reynolds, aged 59
and of Florence Road, Poole, guilty of riding a cycle in a road without
reasonable consideration for others, Mr Clements’s mother read a victim
personal statement in court.

She said her son who was “so full of life and lived for the moment” would
miss out on the chance to watch his six brothers grow up.

He would also miss out on the chance to become a father himself and all the
future family gatherings, she said.

The crash took place at the Shah of Persia crossroads shortly after 7am on
December 21 last year.

Kopanycia-Reynolds turned right at the traffic lights from Ringwood Road
towards Fernside Road and collided with the motorcyclist who had the right
of way as he was heading straight on from Longfleet Road onto Ringwood
Road.

Addressing the defendant, Mr Clements's mother said: “These are moments
that you have stolen not only from Callum but from his friends and family.”

She added: “On that day my son died and part of me died with him. I will
never be the same person I was before.”

Kopanycia-Reynolds was issued with the maximum penalty for the offence in
the form of a £1,000 fine.

Ms Clements said she felt her son and those that loved him had been let
down by the law, adding that cyclists should be held more accountable for
their actions.

She said: “It was not Callum who made the wrong decision but he paid the
biggest price. He lost his life.”

In a statement read by prosecutor Stuart Ellacott, Mr Clements’s father
said all of the family were “devastated”.

“Trying to deal with our loss has left a big hole in our lives,” he said.

Police Constable Leanne Howes, of Dorset Police’s serious collision
investigation team (SCIT), said: “This is a very sad case that has seen
Callum’s family lose their loved one and the cyclist involved has also
sustained significant life-changing injuries.

“Our investigation was able to prove that the defendant clearly turned in
front of the motorcycle, which had right of way, and this resulted in the
collision.

“This is a demonstration of the truly awful consequences that can be caused
by any road user failing to pay sufficient care and attention.”

--
Spike

Re: Cyclist kills biker but merely fined

<kq7epfF6m2oU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35090&group=uk.rec.cycling#35090

From: jnugent@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Cyclist kills biker but merely fined
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 16:15:43 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 16:15 UTC

On 29/10/2023 09:05 am, Spike wrote:

> THE family of a motorcyclist who was killed in a crash at a crossroads in
> Poole have paid tribute to him and spoken of the devastating impact his
> death has had on them.
>
> Members of Callum Clements's family were in the public gallery at Poole
> Magistrates’ Court on Thursday, November 24, as a cyclist was convicted and
> sentenced for his involvement in the crash which killed the 23-year-old.
>
> After District Judge Michael Snow found Garry Kopanycia-Reynolds, aged 59
> and of Florence Road, Poole, guilty of riding a cycle in a road without
> reasonable consideration for others, Mr Clements’s mother read a victim
> personal statement in court.
>
> She said her son who was “so full of life and lived for the moment” would
> miss out on the chance to watch his six brothers grow up.
>
> He would also miss out on the chance to become a father himself and all the
> future family gatherings, she said.
>
> The crash took place at the Shah of Persia crossroads shortly after 7am on
> December 21 last year.
>
> Kopanycia-Reynolds turned right at the traffic lights from Ringwood Road
> towards Fernside Road and collided with the motorcyclist who had the right
> of way as he was heading straight on from Longfleet Road onto Ringwood
> Road.
>
> Addressing the defendant, Mr Clements's mother said: “These are moments
> that you have stolen not only from Callum but from his friends and family.”
>
> She added: “On that day my son died and part of me died with him. I will
> never be the same person I was before.”
>
> Kopanycia-Reynolds was issued with the maximum penalty for the offence in
> the form of a £1,000 fine.
>
> Ms Clements said she felt her son and those that loved him had been let
> down by the law, adding that cyclists should be held more accountable for
> their actions.
>
> She said: “It was not Callum who made the wrong decision but he paid the
> biggest price. He lost his life.”
>
> In a statement read by prosecutor Stuart Ellacott, Mr Clements’s father
> said all of the family were “devastated”.
>
> “Trying to deal with our loss has left a big hole in our lives,” he said.
>
> Police Constable Leanne Howes, of Dorset Police’s serious collision
> investigation team (SCIT), said: “This is a very sad case that has seen
> Callum’s family lose their loved one and the cyclist involved has also
> sustained significant life-changing injuries.
>
> “Our investigation was able to prove that the defendant clearly turned in
> front of the motorcycle, which had right of way, and this resulted in the
> collision.
>
> “This is a demonstration of the truly awful consequences that can be caused
> by any road user failing to pay sufficient care and attention.”

:-(

Causing death by dangerous riding of a chav-cycle should be punishable
with the same penalties as CDBDD.

That should have been at least five years in chokey and confiscation /
destruction of the chav-bike.